Programatically alter font in PDF file

benny...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2008, 7:09:18 PM3/6/08
Is it possible to do a clean sweep of a PDF file by changing the
font?

I've trialled some applications which allow font changes however it
seems to be on a per page basis only. Also only showing embedded
fonts.

scenario is - I am receiving various PDF files from departments and
need to consolidate them into a single report, with a common font.
Adding to the difficulty, the font I need to convert to is a
propriatory one, so will not be embedded in the PDF editing
application (if that is an issue or not I'm not 100%)

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Aandi Inston

Mar 7, 2008, 5:09:26 AM3/7/08
benny...@gmail.com wrote:

>scenario is - I am receiving various PDF files from departments and
>need to consolidate them into a single report, with a common font.

The result, if applied at PDF level, is likely to be disastrous.
Different fonts have different widths, and your possibilities are

* apply new font with new widths. Different text runs will be longer
or shorter. These may break or overlap half way through a word or
line.

* apply new font with old widths. Will produce a discontinuity between
all the reports, and in some cases lead to overlapping characters or
nasty gaps.

* reflow text in lines so lines aren't split or overlapped - but the
line length may now exceed the page width.

* try and redo the text entirely. Frankly, PDF is not up to this, and
you might as well get the Word documents and make them uniform: MUCH
less time consuming and frustrating.

>Adding to the difficulty, the font I need to convert to is a
>propriatory one, so will not be embedded in the PDF editing
>application (if that is an issue or not I'm not 100%)

The usual rule enforced for PDF text editing is that the font must be
installed locally.
Aandi Inston