rpresser

Mar 12, 2008, 8:46:44 PM3/12/08
On Mar 12, 2:05 am, PDFrank <pdfr...@some.com> wrote:
> Don Schmidt wrote:
> > Some examples here:
> >http://www.fcc.gov/wcb/broadband/chron_list.html
>
> >http://www.dcf.state.vt.us/fsd/policy/PDFs/appendix5.pdf
>
> >http://law.utoledo.edu/students/clinics/OfficeProcedures.htm
>
> <snip>
>
> This is Usenet. Do any of these documents address Usenet protocol and
> etiquette?
>
> If not, can you please research the issue, and then report your findings
> back to the group?

Don't hold your breath.

Engineer@pnb.retired_1987 Don Schmidt

Mar 12, 2008, 9:50:43 PM3/12/08
I think it's your turn to search the Usenet and share some examples.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"rpresser" <rpre...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PDFrank

Mar 12, 2008, 10:19:49 PM3/12/08
Don Schmidt wrote:

> I think it's your turn to search the Usenet and share some examples.

Taking turns?

I thought you are the one sharing information about professionalism.

Come on, teacher.

Engineer@pnb.retired_1987 Don Schmidt

Mar 13, 2008, 10:31:56 AM3/13/08
I'll chalk it up as a win for our side.

--
Don
Quid pro quo.

"PDFrank" <pdf...@some.com> wrote in message

PDFrank

Mar 16, 2008, 1:37:53 AM3/16/08
Don Schmidt wrote:

> I'll chalk it up as a win for our side.

What did "our side" win, Mr. Schmidt, and what was the "game?"

Engineer@pnb.retired_1987 Don Schmidt

Mar 16, 2008, 9:00:01 AM3/16/08
The prize is a 2 lb drum of Nonni's Biscotti; just like the old country!

The game, it's better to be on the top viruses being on the bottom. It's
one of those controversial opinions much like Reverse Polish Notation versus
Algebraic Calculation. Of course RPN wins that "game".

--
Don, Vancouver, USA
-----------------------------------

"PDFrank" <pdf...@some.com> wrote in message

rpresser

Mar 17, 2008, 5:05:12 PM3/17/08
On Mar 16, 9:00 am, "Don Schmidt" <Don Engin...@PNB.Retired_1987>
wrote:

> The prize is a 2 lb drum of Nonni's Biscotti; just like the old country!
>
> The game, it's better to be on the top viruses being on the bottom.  It's
> one of those controversial opinions much like Reverse Polish Notation versus
> Algebraic Calculation.  Of course RPN wins that "game".

Postfix notation (or as you call it, RPN) is no better than any other
notation in and of itself. It's slightly easier to implement in a
stack machine, but no moreso than prefix notation. Prefix is often
easier to read, though this is mostly a matter of training. All three
notations (prefix, infix, postfix) become very difficult to use when
the nesting level is very high.

Similar remarks can be made about Usenet. If you view Usenet as a
wide, extended conversation, that you expect others to wander into and
out of at random, it makes sense to present it as a narrative. How
many novels have you read lately where the newest stuff is at the
top?

On the other hand, in a tight exchange between a few individuals who
have been closely following since the beginning, it may seem easier to
just add new messages to the top of the stack. The presumed advantage
is that you can read what's new quickly, and if you have to go back a
few levels to catch up, it's not serious. But it repels newcomers to
the conversation. On Usenet it is generally considered highly
impolite; and your conduct in this conversation matches that
assessment.

Message has been deleted

terrytes...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2013, 9:44:15 AM7/30/13