Disable Save button

Mar 14, 2001, 10:22:09 AM3/14/01
I have to disable the save button that appears on the toolbar when a PDF
document is opened within the web browser. I've already tryied with standard
procedures such as AVToolButtonGetName and then AVToolButtonRemove, tryied
to work with security but no way. Is there anyone can help me?

Aandi Inston

Mar 14, 2001, 10:27:00 AM3/14/01
"j" <x-r...@usa.net> wrote:

So far as I can find out, this can't be done. And it would be fairly
pointless anyway, as there are so many other ways to save a PDF. If a
file is on the web, it can be saved, and that's that.
Aandi Inston qu...@dial.pipex.com http://www.quite.com

Giacomo

Mar 14, 2001, 11:24:50 AM3/14/01
You're right, maybe I've to find a different way to avoid users to copy the
file, but let me explain a bit further: through a web application I access a
document management database where PDFs are stored. Every user can reach and
view the document from the web client but no one is allowed to save it on
their computer without a watermark that I've added to the document
server-side. The must is to show the PDF without any watermark so I have to
remove it on the document from an API, but also I have to be sure that,
whenever someone tries to print it or save it, the watermark is placed back.

"Aandi Inston" <qu...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

Helge Blischke

Mar 14, 2001, 12:26:07 PM3/14/01
Giacomo wrote:

> You're right, maybe I've to find a different way to avoid users to copy the
> file, but let me explain a bit further: through a web application I access a
> document management database where PDFs are stored. Every user can reach and
> view the document from the web client but no one is allowed to save it on
> their computer without a watermark that I've added to the document
> server-side. The must is to show the PDF without any watermark so I have to
> remove it on the document from an API, but also I have to be sure that,
> whenever someone tries to print it or save it, the watermark is placed back.

You might look at FileOpen (http://www.fileopen.com/publisher.html) and
see if
it provides what you want.

Helge

--
H.Bli...@srz-berlin.de
H.Bli...@srz-berlin.com

Robert J. Niland

Mar 14, 2001, 3:22:32 PM3/14/01
> through a web application I access a document
> management database where PDFs are stored.
> Every user can reach and view the document
> from the web client but no one is allowed
> to save it on their computer without a
> watermark that I've added to the document
> server-side. The must is to show the PDF
> without any watermark so I have to
> remove it on the document from an API,
> but also I have to be sure that,
> whenever someone tries to print it
> or save it, the watermark is placed back.

If they can see it without the watermark,
they can save and print it.

Even if you get the server and display client parts
working the way you want, it still doesn't prevent
saving/printing. For example...

On the two PCs I use primarily, I can set the Matrox
graphics card to 2400Vx1920H large logical desktop
mode, and use the PrntScrn key to save the unmarked
preview pages to the clipboard, one at a time, in
24-bit color and at well over 200dpi (i.e. photo quality).

Although the text becomes graphics, it's straightforward
trim the window border and to print the clipboard or
even re-assemble the captured pages as a new PDF
document with no watermarks.

This works even if you disable selecting-graphics-and-text
in the PDF security, since Acrobat doesn't control the
function of the [PrtScrn] key in Windows - nor the
screen-cap capability of any other OS. If you don't
disable selecting, then the user can even more easily
capture just the page content, and at resolutions
over 300 dpi (up to the 32MB/page graphics object
limit of Win32).

I suspect that numerous scripting engines would enable
automation of rapid capture of an entire document.

A creative Win32 driver hacker can further enhance the
hijacking by writing code to capture the GDI traffic,
if not the actual LAN PDF traffic.

Bottom line. For an e-document to be truly secure, the
viewer app must have total control over the client
operating environment. Acrobat Reader doesn't.

You may need to consider delivering watermarked display
copies, perhaps even with the wm visibly customized to the
verified registered user.

It's not clear to me that credible DRM for edocs is here yet.

Regards, 3404 East Harmony Road, MS-K4
Bob Niland Fort Collins CO 80528-9599
Hewlett-Packard mailto:r...@fc.hp.com
Unless otherwise stated, the above are personal opinions,
and do not represent the position of Hewlett-Packard.

Giacomo

Mar 16, 2001, 7:30:05 AM3/16/01
I don't care about screen capturing, because the desktop client is locked by
a software which allows the user just to perform certain tasks, not all. My
application will be distributed to end-user and not programmers. What I
think about security is that even the best written software can be cracked.
I need to know if there's a way out about my problem, maybe hiding the
toolbar: I've seen that pressing the double line between the save button and
the Adobe logo, the toolbar reduces itself to a single button on the right,
over the scrollbar. If only could be possible to start acrobat with the
toolbar automatically "iconized" and locked I can write down a couple of ASP
line to control a button to perform the print-out of the PDF document and my
problems will be resolved.
Thank you

"Robert J. Niland" <r...@fc.hp.com> wrote in message