Increase size of all text in PDF schematic diagram

Paul

Jan 31, 2013, 6:23:24 PM1/31/13
A Windows app (openFTA, www.openfta.com) generated a PDF schematic
diagram. There is no way in the app to increase the font size of
text. I want to edit the PDF in order to increase the font size of
all the text in the PDF file. Otherwise, I have to manually use Adobe
Pro and select each swath of text in order to increase the font size.

The printer driver is PDF24, and I selected the following options.
I'm not that familiar with these parameters, but my guiding thoughts
were that the earlier the version, the less complex the file and the
more easily I can access the individual attributes with a text editor.

* Optimize for portability rather than speed
* Minimum PostScript Language Level 1
* Minimum PDF Compatbility 1.2
* EmbedAllFonts = True
* PDFSubsetFonts = True

I used a text editor (vim) to access the PDF file (extract shown
below) and did a case-insensitive search for all occurances of "font"
and "arial". The PDF file is quite cryptic, so I'm not sure if I
actually can change the font size from there (it's similar & no less
cryptic after passing it through "pdf2ps -dLanguageLevel1"):

Extract of PDF file
-------------------
1223 4 0 obj
1224 <</Type/Page/MediaBox [0 0 612 792]
1225 /Rotate 0/Parent 3 0 R
1226 /Resources<</ProcSet[/PDF /Text]
---- /Font 9 0 R
1228 >>
1229 /Contents 5 0 R
1230 >>
1231 endobj
<...snip...>
1253 7 0 obj
---- <</BaseFont/GIYRNY+Arial/FontDescriptor 8 0 R/ToUnicode 11 0
R/Type/Font
1255 /FirstChar 1/LastChar 37/Widths[ 611 333 556 278 278 556 556
500 667 500 500 278 278 278 722
1256 722 556 222 222 556 611 667 556 833 500 556 944 722 722 667
556
1257 556 556 556 556 556 556]
1258 /Subtype/TrueType>>
1259 endobj
1260 8 0 obj
---- <</Type/FontDescriptor/FontName/GIYRNY+Arial/FontBBox[0 -210
932 728]/Flags 4
1262 /Ascent 728
1263 /CapHeight 728
1264 /Descent -210
1265 /ItalicAngle 0
1266 /StemV 139
1267 /MissingWidth 750
1268 /XHeight 530
---- /FontFile2 10 0 R>>
1270 endobj
---- %BeginResource: file (PDF FontFile obj_10)
1272 10 0 obj
1273 <</Filter/LZWDecode
1274 /Length1 32200/Length 21825>>stream
<...encoded content starts here...>
<... no further occurance of "font" or "arial"...>

I also used pstoedit to convert the PDF to EMF so that I can use
Powerpoint to change all the font sizes at once. No luck. Errors
from this conversion (below) cause the text to look nonsensical when
the EMF is inserted into powerpoint. The same errors occure when I
try to convert the PS to EMF. Trying to ungroup the resulting EMF to
apply Arial 12-point requires converting the object to a Microsoft
Office Drawing, which converts the nonsensical characters into
meaningless decimal digits in Arial font (not the original text).

Errors converting PDF or PS to EMF
----------------------------------
pstoedit: version 3.60 / DLL interface 108 (built: Apr 2 2012 -
release build - g++ 4.5.3 - 32-bit) : Copyright (C) 1993 - 2011
Wolfgang Glunz

unable to map [c2] glyph name 10 encoded as 10 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

unable to map [c2] glyph name 11 encoded as 11 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

<...snip...>

unable to map [c2] glyph name 30 encoded as 30 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

unable to map [c2] glyph name 35 encoded as 35 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

Warning: Inter letter spacing is approximated by pstoedit because
of problems in libemf. Use -pta option if results are not OK.

So...is there a way to change the font sizes in one fell swoop rather
than individually using Acrobat Pro?

David H. Lipman

Jan 31, 2013, 6:52:31 PM1/31/13
From: "Paul" <paul.d...@gmail.com>
I tried an experiment using LibreOffice Writer (with its PDF Import
Extension) and I can manipulate the arrangement of the text but I was unable
to resize the text.

The only way I can think of is with openFTA or some program that manipulates
its native file format.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Paul

Jan 31, 2013, 7:06:03 PM1/31/13
On Jan 31, 6:23 pm, Paul <paul.domas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A Windows app (openFTA,www.openfta.com) generated a PDF schematic
Note that I am using Acrobat 8. In addition to creating PS using
pdf2ps as above, I also used Acrobat's built-in export function to
export to PS, with the following options:

* Printer Description File: Device Independent
* PostScript Language Level 2
* Fong Inclusion: Embedded and Referenced Fonts

Compared to generating PS using pdf2ps, I get similar pstoedit errors,
even though the PS file looks quite different:

unable to map [c2] glyph name g69 encoded as 6 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

unable to map [c2] glyph name g85 encoded as 2 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

<...snip...>

unable to map [c2] glyph name ;####################### encoded as
35 - using the PostScript code value instead.

unable to map [c2] glyph name ;### encoded as 5 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

Paul

Jan 31, 2013, 7:10:26 PM1/31/13
On Jan 31, 6:52 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> I tried an experiment using LibreOffice Writer (with its PDF Import
> Extension) and I can manipulate the arrangement of the text but I
> was unable to resize the text.
>
> The only way I can think of is with openFTA or some program that
> manipulates its native file format.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a control within openFTA for
that, and I've seen the unanswered question about it's tiny font size
posted in several search results. The font size is not contained in
the FTA native file format, so I suspect it is hard coded into the
export function.

David H. Lipman

Jan 31, 2013, 9:15:17 PM1/31/13
From: "Paul" <paul.d...@gmail.com>
What is the openFTA native file format and extension ?

Paul

Jan 31, 2013, 9:42:38 PM1/31/13
On Jan 31, 9:15 pm, "David H. Lipman" wrote:
> From: "Paul" <paul.domas...@gmail.com>
>> On Jan 31, 6:52 pm, "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>>>
>>> The only way I can think of is with openFTA or some program that
>>> manipulates its native file format.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a control within openFTA
>> for that, and I've seen the unanswered question about it's tiny
>> font size posted in several search results. The font size is not
>> contained in the FTA native file format, so I suspect it is hard
>> coded into the export function.
>
> What is the openFTA native file format and extension ?

Here is an extraction:

NULL
S NULL 0
0
M brakeSysFail 1
0
A andBrakeSys 2
M FluidSysFail 1
0
O NULL 2
B NULL 0
M WheelSysFail 1
0
A NULL 4
M LeftFrontW 1
0
O NULL 2
B WC1 0
B BP1 0
M RightFrontW 1

It describes a logical tree structure of abstract operators. There is
no information about the shapes that each operator type maps to, nor
any physical location information. All this is automatically
generated by the app, both for user manipulation/development and for
printing.

I found that if I used Acrobat 8 to export the PDF to PS with True
Type converted to Type 1, then filtered the PS through PS2pdf,
pstoedit will successfully convert the resulting PDF to EMF. However,
ungrouping the EMF within Powerpoint requires that it be converted to
Microsoft Office Document, which causes the text to be formed from
small vector graphics blocks. Basically, a chunk of text seems to be
a vector graphic, and resizing it large will reveal it's blocky
nature.

I've already spent inordinate amount of time on this and will have to
give up. I'll simply resize all text manually in Acrobat. This will
need to be done each time the diagram is updated.

Paul

Jan 31, 2013, 10:49:26 PM1/31/13
Another variation on the partial success above (though not a practical
solution, unfortunately). As above, use Acrobat to export the PDF
from open24 to PS, with True Type converted to Type 1. Pass the PS
through ps2pdf, then use pstoedit to convert the resulting PDF to
fig. Finally use fig2dev to convert the FIG to EMF. The text in the
resulting EMF consists of one blocky vector graphic per letter when
ungrouped in Powerpoint. This is actually less desirable than the one
vector graphic per text box above.

Anyway. I think that's it for me.

Thanks.

Peter Flynn

Feb 1, 2013, 3:58:26 PM2/1/13
On 02/01/2013 12:06 AM, Paul wrote:
> On Jan 31, 6:23 pm, Paul <paul.domas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A Windows app (openFTA,www.openfta.com) generated a PDF schematic
>> diagram. There is no way in the app to increase the font size of
>> text. I want to edit the PDF in order to increase the font size of
>> all the text in the PDF file. Otherwise, I have to manually use
>> Adobe Pro and select each swath of text in order to increase the
>> font size.

If this software is creating a vector PDF file, try using Inkscape to
import it and edit the font size there: you may be able to multi-select
the font layer and do them all at once.

I'm not impressed at all by the OpenFTA forum: there seems to be zero
support for the product, and if they can't even provide a font size
control, it may be that they are just not up to the job.

///Peter

Ivan Shmakov

Feb 2, 2013, 4:31:00 AM2/2/13

[...]

> I found that if I used Acrobat 8 to export the PDF to PS with True
> Type converted to Type 1, then filtered the PS through PS2pdf,
> pstoedit will successfully convert the resulting PDF to EMF.
> However, ungrouping the EMF within Powerpoint requires that it be
> converted to Microsoft Office Document, which causes the text to be
> formed from small vector graphics blocks. Basically, a chunk of text
> seems to be a vector graphic, and resizing it large will reveal it's
> blocky nature.

I don't quite understand how "vector graphic" relates to
"blocky", but perhaps converting PDF to SVG [hence:
cross-posting to news:comp.text.xml] with Ghostscript, and then
altering the resulting XML (with XSLT, or otherwise) to use the
desired font size, may help?

> I've already spent inordinate amount of time on this and will have to
> give up. I'll simply resize all text manually in Acrobat. This will
> need to be done each time the diagram is updated.

PS. FWIW, the question of the vices of the current "computer graphic
technologies" was recently brought up in a
news:comp.arch.embedded discussion.

--
FSF associate member #7257

paul.d...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2013, 3:37:25 PM2/2/13
On Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:31:00 AM UTC-5, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
>Paul <paul.domaskisATgmail.com> writes:
>> ...which causes the text to be formed from small vector graphics
>> blocks. Basically, a chunk of text seems to be a vector graphic,
>> and resizing it large will reveal it's blocky nature.
>
> I don't quite understand how "vector graphic" relates to "blocky",

Maybe I'm abusing the word "vector". I meant that even though the letters are made from tiny shapes, they are not bit-mapped or rasterized.

> but perhaps converting PDF to SVG [hence: cross-posting to
> news:comp.text.xml] with Ghostscript, and then altering the
> resulting XML (with XSLT, or otherwise) to use the desired font
> size, may help?

I'm at home, so I can't export from Adobe Pro with True Type converted to Type 1. Instead, I worked directly with the PDF from PDF2. I printed to PDF/A because it was apparently more portable.

I tried the following pstoedit outputs:

plot-svg: .svg: svg via GNU libplot
noixml: .xml: Nemetschek NOI XML format

The conversion to NOI XML generated the following error:

pstoedit: version 3.60 / DLL interface 108 (built: Apr 2 2012 - release build - g++ 4.5.3 - 32-bit) : Copyright (C) 1993 - 2011 Wolfgang Glunz

Problem during opening pstoed_noi:No such file or directory

Creation of driver failed

However, the conversion to SVG proceeded without error. When I examine the SVG file in Firefox, it looks as if the text has been turned into plotting commands, with enclosed parts of the letters being solid black rather than hollow. The issue looks similar to what I saw in converting to EMF for manipulation in powerpoint.

I also printed to from the source app to PDF/X and converted to SVG, but the result was just gibberish.

Note that the tests I did above were not from the OpenFTA, as it was for the orignal post. They were just printouts of Firefox pages. The problem in converting to editable vector file in order to globally resize all text seems to be similar.

I suspect that the undesirable conversion of text to vector graphics occurs at the pstoedit step. The -ndt option is supposet to "never draw text", but that just prevents the conversion from proceeding.

>> I've already spent inordinate amount of time on this and will have
>> to give up. I'll simply resize all text manually in Acrobat. This
>> will need to be done each time the diagram is updated.
>
> PS. FWIW, the question of the vices of the current "computer graphic
> technologies" was recently brought up in a news:comp.arch.embedded
> discussion.

I used Grouples to search that newsgroup for the following:

"computer graphic technologies"
computer-graphic-technology

Nothing came up. Would you be able to provide a grouples link? The last thread with "graphics" in the subject line was in 2010, and the last one with "graphic" (singular) was in 2009.

paul.d...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2013, 11:47:50 PM2/2/13
I don't disagree. To be fair, the vendor did say that it was provided to the public, no strings attached, and no free support would be forthcoming. It makes sense for a small, highly specialized company. While information about this is quite old, I do recall reading somewhere (possibly in their fourm) that there is a paid product, FormalFTA. OpenFTA might have been quite a nascent development, and it comes from an era when free stuff wasn't as robust as it is these days. The fact that it runs on Windows 7 at all was a pleasant surprise, though I did burn up time figuring out that it wasn't compatible with the restricted access of today's more secure multi-user Windows environment.

Inkscape is an awesome package. Unbelievable that it is free. It handled the job quite nicely. After ungrouping, Edit->Find allows all text objects to be selected, and Object->Transform allows Scaling. A life saver is that the ability to "apply [the scaling] the each object separately" -- otherwise, the text objects scale as if they are grouped become spread out over an area that is many times the size of the drawing.

Exporting to EMF for manipulation in Powerpoint is still problematic. Each letter is its own text box, and there are artifacts that make it unusable for a professional document. However, since I am able to resize in Inkscape, I can probably get away without having to use Powerpoint on the drawing.

A lifetime ago, I remember spending days trying to get this effect in Xfig, and I forgot whether I was successful. I think I was, but ran into the similar problems exporting to EMF for manipulation in Powerpoint. Though I forgot the exact details. Just for fun, I may install the cygwin version of xfig to check it out.

Thanks alot!

paul.d...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2013, 9:24:35 PM2/3/13
On Saturday, February 2, 2013 11:47:50 PM UTC-5, paul.d...@gmail.com wrote:
> Inkscape is an awesome package. Unbelievable that it is free. It
> handled the job quite nicely. After ungrouping, Edit->Find allows
> all text objects to be selected, and Object->Transform allows
> Scaling. A life saver is that the ability to "apply [the scaling]
> the each object separately" -- otherwise, the text objects scale as
> if they are grouped become spread out over an area that is many
> times the size of the drawing.
>
> Exporting to EMF for manipulation in Powerpoint is still
> problematic. Each letter is its own text box, and there are
> artifacts that make it unusable for a professional document.
> However, since I am able to resize in Inkscape, I can probably get
> away without having to use Powerpoint on the drawing.
>
> A lifetime ago, I remember spending days trying to get this effect
> in Xfig, and I forgot whether I was successful. I think I was, but
> ran into the similar problems exporting to EMF for manipulation in
> Powerpoint. Though I forgot the exact details. Just for fun, I may
> install the cygwin version of xfig to check it out.

Well, lookslike xfig isn't the way to go. I run into the similar glyph mapping errors as above, and the text became gibberish:

pstoedit: version 3.60 / DLL interface 108 (built: Apr 2 2012 -
release build - g++ 4.5.3 - 32-bit) : Copyright (C) 1993 - 2011
Wolfgang Glunz

unable to map [c2] glyph name 10 encoded as 10 - using the
PostScript code value instead.
<...snip...>
unable to map [c2] glyph name 35 encoded as 35 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

Warning, unsupported font GIYRNY+Arial, using Courier instead.
(This message repeated countless times)

I'm not overly concerned about the use of Courier in place of GIYRNY+Arial, since the exactly look and feel isn't critical. The fact that it's all gibberish is the real problem.

Paul

Feb 9, 2013, 3:15:42 PM2/9/13
Sorry, for not following up on adobe.acrobat.windows. Googles has
been transformationally raping its Google Groups interface lately,
despite a deluge of user complaints. One of the pathologies seems to
be that follow-ups are posted across newsgroups.

However, please note that Peter provided a solution in the form of
Inkscape (follow-ups of mine that also did not get cross-posted, but
which I'm diligently fixing manually).

On Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:31:00 AM UTC-5, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
>Paul <paul.domaskisATgmail.com> writes:
>> ...which causes the text to be formed from small vector graphics
>> blocks. Basically, a chunk of text seems to be a vector graphic,
>> and resizing it large will reveal it's blocky nature.

> I don't quite understand how "vector graphic" relates to "blocky",

Maybe I'm abusing the word "vector". I meant that even though the
letters are made from tiny shapes, they are not bit-mapped or
rasterized.

> but perhaps converting PDF to SVG [hence: cross-posting to
> news:comp.text.xml] with Ghostscript, and then altering the
> resulting XML (with XSLT, or otherwise) to use the desired font
> size, may help?

I'm at home, so I can't export from Adobe Pro with True Type converted
to Type 1. Instead, I worked directly with the PDF from PDF2. I
printed to PDF/A because it was apparently more portable.

I tried the following pstoedit outputs:

plot-svg: .svg: svg via GNU libplot
noixml: .xml: Nemetschek NOI XML format

The conversion to NOI XML generated the following error:

pstoedit: version 3.60 / DLL interface 108 (built: Apr 2 2012 -
release build - g++ 4.5.3 - 32-bit) : Copyright (C) 1993 - 2011
Wolfgang Glunz

Problem during opening pstoed_noi:No such file or directory

Creation of driver failed

However, the conversion to SVG proceeded without error. When I
examine the SVG file in Firefox, it looks as if the text has been
turned into plotting commands, with enclosed parts of the letters
being solid black rather than hollow. The issue looks similar to
what I saw in converting to EMF for manipulation in powerpoint.

I also printed to from the source app to PDF/X and converted to SVG,
but the result was just gibberish.

Note that the tests I did above were not from the OpenFTA, as it was
for the orignal post. They were just printouts of Firefox pages. The
problem in converting to editable vector file in order to globally
resize all text seems to be similar.

I suspect that the undesirable conversion of text to vector graphics
occurs at the pstoedit step. The -ndt option is supposet to "never
draw text", but that just prevents the conversion from proceeding.

>> I've already spent inordinate amount of time on this and will have
>> to give up. I'll simply resize all text manually in Acrobat. This
>> will need to be done each time the diagram is updated.

> PS. FWIW, the question of the vices of the current "computer graphic
> technologies" was recently brought up in a news:comp.arch.embedded
> discussion.

Paul

Paul

Feb 9, 2013, 3:20:45 PM2/9/13
Sorry, for not following up on adobe.acrobat.windows. Googles has
been transformationally raping its Google Groups interface lately,
despite a deluge of user complaints. One of the pathologies seems to
be that follow-ups are posted across newsgroups. I'm diligently
fixing this manually.

Well, lookslike xfig isn't the way to go. I run into the similar
glyph mapping errors as above, and the text became gibberish:

pstoedit: version 3.60 / DLL interface 108 (built: Apr 2 2012 -
release build - g++ 4.5.3 - 32-bit) : Copyright (C) 1993 - 2011
Wolfgang Glunz

unable to map [c2] glyph name 10 encoded as 10 - using the
PostScript code value instead.
<...snip...>
unable to map [c2] glyph name 35 encoded as 35 - using the
PostScript code value instead.

David H. Lipman

Feb 9, 2013, 3:40:01 PM2/9/13
From: "Paul" <paul.d...@gmail.com>

> Sorry, for not following up on adobe.acrobat.windows. Googles has
> been transformationally raping its Google Groups interface lately,
> despite a deluge of user complaints. One of the pathologies seems to
> be that follow-ups are posted across newsgroups.

Google groups was shit and always has been shit a Google is the biggest
source of spoam and abuse on Usenet.

Simple... Use a News Client and a news server (free or paid-for service).

BTW: I tested LibreOffice v4.0 which was just released and now has built-in
PDF manipulation (not an extension). I loaded a few PDFs into LibreOffice
Writer and found on some text I could change the font and its size. It was
a per string manual process when I could do it.

Paul

Feb 10, 2013, 2:33:54 AM2/10/13
On Feb 9, 3:40 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...@Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "Paul" <paul.domas...@gmail.com>
>
>> Sorry, for not following up on adobe.acrobat.windows. Googles has
>> been transformationally raping its Google Groups interface lately,
>> despite a deluge of user complaints. One of the pathologies seems
>> to be that follow-ups are posted across newsgroups.
>
> Google groups was shit and always has been shit a Google is the
> biggest source of spoam and abuse on Usenet.
>
> Simple... Use a News Client and a news server (free or paid-for
> service).

In some environments, Grouples is the only way to access usenet.
Despite my irkedness at their degenerative transformation, I can't be
as whole-heartedly critical of Grouples. The repository and search is
mind boggling (except recently -- it seem to be blind to some threads
on some groups). One never needs to keep a personal repository of
knowledge that transpires online because of Grouples (I hope it always
remains available, though). It's like time as the 4th dimension has
collapsed, and you just need to Google to pull past information from
out of the ether.

> BTW: I tested LibreOffice v4.0 which was just released and now has
> built-in PDF manipulation (not an extension). I loaded a few PDFs
> into LibreOffice Writer and found on some text I could change the
> font and its size. It was a per string manual process when I could
> do it.

I've never heard of it before, but it sure seems remarkable. Open
Office use to be the big shot noncommercial office suite space, but
LibreOffice sure sounds sharp. I'm not looking for an office suite
right now...I got my private parts tied to our organization's use of
the 800 pound gorilla. But thanks for putting it on my radar.