Transputers and Unix

Gerard Lacey

Mar 10, 1994, 11:34:14 AM3/10/94
Hi All,
We are running a network of transputers hosted in a PC
running BSD/386. Does anybody have a driver for the above
configuration ? or does any body have a driver for another Unix
system to get us started ?

Thanks in advance

Gerard Lacey <Gerard...@cs.tcd.ie>
Computer Vision Group, TCD.
<http://www.cvg.tcd.ie>

Vincent Huijgen

Mar 14, 1994, 3:08:25 AM3/14/94

In article 4742, Gerard Lacey writes:

> We are running a network of transputers hosted in a PC
> running BSD/386. Does anybody have a driver for the above
> configuration ? or does any body have a driver for another Unix
> system to get us started ?

Well, we do have transputers connected to a Unix system, but we pass
by the usual device driver mechanism.
The transputer network is connected with an interface board
that is accessed by means of memory addressing.

If you also want to use memory addressing, note that you need direct access
to physical addresses from your user program.
Normally, an address in a user program is a virtual address
that is mapped by Unix to a physical address.
Our Unix system (SunOS 4.1.3) allows us to prevent that mapping by means
of the system call "mmap".
Maybe your Unix system has a similar system call.

Mike also wrote:

> I have access to SCO Unix 3.2.4.2, Dell (ISC) Unix 3.2.1,
> NextStep 3.1, and UnixWare 1.1. OS/2 2.1 is also a possibility
> if Unix is not.

So I understand that he also wants to run Unix on a PC.
We only have experience with Unix on a Sun workstation. The transputer-
network is connected through a Volvox board in the workstation.

(I have tried to email my answer to Mike, as he requested, but my mail
was returned undeliverable. I both tried address uunet!isa!mka with
the -U option of mail and address m...@isa.uucp but none of them succeeded.
I get the message "isa not in UUCP routing tables". What did I do wrong ?)

If you want, we can tell you more.

Vincent Huijgen
vinc...@win.tue.nl