Model3 Level 1 rom?

RedskullDC

Dec 23, 2006, 7:11:37 AM12/23/06
Hi All,

Is the search still continuing for the M3L1 rom?
or has it been found?

Cheers,
Leslie

vad

Dec 23, 2006, 6:37:29 PM12/23/06
Like the Chinese Baiji Dolphin, after an exhaustive search, the ROM is
presumed to be extinct. The throwing away of all old TRS-80 hardware
is the Three Gorges Dam in this case...

uh... does that make any sense?

The search is still on but personally I suspect it might have been lost
forever.

IF YOU OWN OR KNOW OF ANYONE WHO OWNS A MODEL 3 LEVEL 1 SYSTEM PLEASE
LET SOMEONE HERE KNOW ABOUT IT!

Roberto Bazzano

Dec 27, 2006, 5:42:51 PM12/27/06
> IF YOU OWN OR KNOW OF ANYONE WHO OWNS A MODEL 3 LEVEL 1 SYSTEM PLEASE
> LET SOMEONE HERE KNOW ABOUT IT!

Sorry for the newbie-like question, but how can I identify if my model 3 is
a level 1 or higher?

Thx.
Roberto

N Morrison

Dec 27, 2006, 6:56:42 PM12/27/06

Type in

PRINT 1/0 <ENTER>

If the response is HOW? or WHAT? it's Level I

Tom Lake

Dec 27, 2006, 8:22:01 PM12/27/06
"Roberto Bazzano" <r.ba...@ulm.nospam.it> wrote in message

If you have no disk drives and your only error messages are WHAT? HOW? and SORRY
then you have Level 1. If you have disk drives and you get messages like ?SN Error
then
you have Model III Basic.

Tom Lake

turnkit

Jan 10, 2007, 4:52:51 AM1/10/07
proof that such a machine existed:
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/26-1061

Mike Y

Jan 10, 2007, 7:04:18 AM1/10/07

"turnkit" <tur...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> proof that such a machine existed:
> http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/26-1061

Actually, I think I had one.

I ordered the cheapest way I could for my Model III, and if the cost of
the INDIVIDUAL ROM chips was less than the difference from Level 1
to Level 2, I can tell you right now I ordered it as a Level 1. I do
remember
that it ended up being a special order. (I had bought it through a friends
'franchise store' in PA but managed to get the warehouse to ship it to
my office in the tower direct. That caused me a bit of a hassle when
people found out what I was doing.)

I then stuffed it and upgraded everything myself. Buying stuff like the
'tower' panels for the disk drives and scrounging hardware and stuff
elsewhere. Memory from RFI. I think the only parts of my Model III
that were Tandy after the base unit were the chips for Level 2, the
wiring and interconnect harnesses for the drives and RS-232, the second
power supply, and eventually the 'towers' for the drives, which at first
were two pieces of paneling... Oh, and of course the '48K' medallion...

What can I say, I was cheap...

Mike

jim

Apr 4, 2007, 2:24:03 PM4/4/07
Well Mike, I was *almost*> as cheap as you. I had to get a LOAN to
afford the Model III with 16k & Level 2 ROM, at $999 in early '82..
And then I realized I had no way to save my "brilliant" programming, so I
sprung for a CCR-81 cassette deck...no way could I afford an "RS first disk
add-on" at about 800 bucks!
I suffered thru that nonsense for 6 months until I discovered Exatron's
Model 3 Stringy Floppy. It cost $225, but what a revelation! I could
actually load a 5kB program in about 40 seconds! Hah--I was ecstatic!! Of
course I had to upgrade memory to 48k...got it from Level IV Systems in
Michigan I think, about 60% of the RS price.
But dammit Mike...I never got that coveted 48k medallion! Wanna sell
yours? I know people would be impressed by knowing I have "48,000 characters
of memory" as early RS catalogs said.
Fun memories, but seems a tad ridiculous now.
But I still enjoy my 2 Model III's, the Stringy Floppy, Orch-90 and the SVD
box I bought last year to connect PCs to 80s..
--jim