/usr/5bin on all systems?

1 view

Lyndon Siu

Jun 3, 1992, 11:54:29 AM6/3/92
Fellow Sun Users,

I have a question regarding system V software on Sun 4.1.x (eg /usr/5bin).

Have any of you ever seen a system where the system V software was NOT
installed? Why??

Thanks for your insight,

Bobby Siu
s...@hpnst.mayfield.hp.com

Shaun Travers

Jun 4, 1992, 10:14:36 PM6/4/92
s...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Lyndon Siu) writes:
: Have any of you ever seen a system where the system V software was NOT
: installed? Why??

At our site we have around 200 SUN IPC, SPARC2, SPARC1+ and 3/60 machines.
Most of these are used for CAD work focussing on roads. Most of
these machines have a 207MB disc ONLY. The System V libriaries take up
3MB of space. By not installing System V we save that 3MB. Most machines
are still on SunView as Open Windows takes up to much space. Buying more
discs is a too expensive option.

Some machines do have larger drives if OpenWindows is required but even
machines with the newer 424MB drives still don't have the System V
sofware as it is simply not needed and the 3MB of space is definitely
handy.

Hope this helps a bit.
Shaun

--

Shaun Travers / Internet: sgc...@citecuc.citec.oz.au
Department of Transport \ Phone: +61-7-834-2304 Fax: +61-7-834-2911

Lyndon Siu

Jun 4, 1992, 12:33:09 PM6/4/92
Thanks for all the responses!

To summarize, it appears that yes there are folks out there that
don't install the System V stuff.

The reasons were primarily:

1. To save disk space
2. The 5bin stuff was not needed (several had more creative wording)

Would any gurus want to speculate the percentage of systems that have
the System V stuff versus those that only have BSD.

I'll stick my neck out and "guess" that the majority of systems do have it
cuz disk space cost is pretty cheap nowadays (less than $500 for 100 meg).

Any other guesses?

Thanks
Bobby Siu

Tony Travis

Jun 5, 1992, 10:15:13 AM6/5/92

:
: At our site we have around 200 SUN IPC, SPARC2, SPARC1+ and 3/60 machines.
: Most of these are used for CAD work focussing on roads. Most of
: these machines have a 207MB disc ONLY. The System V libriaries take up
: 3MB of space. By not installing System V we save that 3MB. Most machines
: are still on SunView as Open Windows takes up to much space. Buying more
: discs is a too expensive option.
:
: Some machines do have larger drives if OpenWindows is required but even
: machines with the newer 424MB drives still don't have the System V
: sofware as it is simply not needed and the 3MB of space is definitely
: handy.

You'd save a lot more space if you configured one of the machines as an
NFS server and used the other 199 as dataless clients ...

Tony

--
Tony Travis <a...@uk.ac.sari.rri> | Dr. A.J.Travis
| Rowett Research Institute,
| Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen,
| AB2 9SB. UK. tel 0224-712751

Frank Peters

Jun 5, 1992, 12:06:33 PM6/5/92
In article <5558...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com> s...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Lyndon Siu) says:
: To summarize, it appears that yes there are folks out there that
: don't install the System V stuff.
:
: The reasons were primarily:
:
: 1. To save disk space
: 2. The 5bin stuff was not needed (several had more creative wording)
:
: Would any gurus want to speculate the percentage of systems that have
: the System V stuff versus those that only have BSD.

I'd agree that the overwhelming majority of people have it installed
for the following reasons:

1. It comes on all preinstalled systems. I have the impression that
a lot of sites go with the generic configuration...especially
small one or two machine shops.

2. /usr/5bin takes right around 1MB. For most people I don't think
that's enough space savings to be worth the trouble.

3. Larger sites with diskless clients and the like generally tend
to install all of the options on their servers (where disk
space isn't too much of a premium).
--
Frank Peters - UNIX Systems Programmer - Mississippi State University
Internet: f...@CC.MsState.Edu - Phone: (601)325-7030 - FAX: (601)325-8921

Pete Hartman

Jun 5, 1992, 3:46:15 PM6/5/92
In <1992Jun5.1...@doc.ic.ac.uk> a...@swan.doc.ic.ac.uk (Tony Travis) writes:
>You'd save a lot more space if you configured one of the machines as an
>NFS server and used the other 199 as dataless clients ...

Of course, unless you had plenty of memory, swap, and network bandwidth,
you'd be lost.

Have you ever tried running a large engineering package on a dataless
station? Ack. I have enough problems with NFS mounted $HOMEs that I
created local scratch areas on each of our engineering machines just
so they could scratch locally.

I found the best configuration to be lots of local swap, /usr mounted
via NFS, and the remainder as local scratch or root/tmp/var partitions.
--
Pete Hartman Bradley University p...@bradley.bradley.edu
Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads.

Thaddeus P. Floryan

Jun 5, 1992, 5:22:15 PM6/5/92
In article <5558...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com> s...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Lyndon Siu) writes:
>[...]

>I'll stick my neck out and "guess" that the majority of systems do have it
>cuz disk space cost is pretty cheap nowadays (less than $500 for 100 meg).
>[...]

Actually, the price of HDs is less than you might believe.

Looking at the ComputerMART page in the local (Silicon Valley) COMPUTER
section of the San Jose Mercury News, just picking one company's (NCA) ad
for new HDs:

Maxtor 130MB 7120S $335
Fujitsu 420MB M2623SA $989
Fujitsu 520MB M2624SA $1099

Prices are still (relatively, NOT comparatively) high on the (external with
case) 2GB HDs:

Fujitsu 2.0GB M2652SA $3299
Micropolis 2.0GB MC1548 $3199

They (NCA) have decent prices on brand-new Archive 2150S QIC drives:

$499 without case (and multiple bezels)
$599 with case, power supply, fan, and cables

Thad Floryan [ th...@btr.com (OR) {decwrl,mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

David P. Kemp

Jun 14, 1992, 8:46:31 AM6/14/92
In article <5558...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com> s...@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Lyndon Siu) writes:
>Thanks for all the responses!
>
>To summarize, it appears that yes there are folks out there that
>don't install the System V stuff.
>
>The reasons were primarily:
>
> 1. To save disk space
> 2. The 5bin stuff was not needed (several had more creative wording)

I originally installed it on our systems for 1 reason only -
/usr/5bin/dircmp.

It is now useful(?) for getting a feel for SVR4, if you put it before
/usr/bin on your path. I did that, and it's a real pain - du and df
listings in 512 byte chunks instead of K, ls in single column output
by default, echo -n vs \c, etc. Except for the block/Kb thing, the
Sys-V way is probably better; it just takes some getting used to.
(ls deciding how to format output based on whether it's to a tty is a
mighty crock!)

I hope SunOS 5 adds a switch to get Kb listings though, otherwise I'll
hang on to /usr/ucb/du.

--
Dave Kemp dpk...@afterlife.ncsc.mil "Pave the Bay!"
#include <std/disclaimer>

Thaddeus P. Floryan

Jun 15, 1992, 12:54:22 AM6/15/92
In article <1992Jun14.1...@afterlife.ncsc.mil> dpk...@afterlife.ncsc.mil (David P. Kemp) writes:
>[...]

>It is now useful(?) for getting a feel for SVR4, if you put it before
>/usr/bin on your path. I did that, and it's a real pain - du and df
>listings in 512 byte chunks instead of K, ls in single column output
>by default, echo -n vs \c, etc. Except for the block/Kb thing, the
>Sys-V way is probably better; it just takes some getting used to.
>(ls deciding how to format output based on whether it's to a tty is a
>mighty crock!)
>[...]

Note that it's YOUR system that you are using! :-)

Here's a suggestion (and is what I did):

Put the /usr/5bin ahead of /usr/bin in your path.

THEN "mv" the /usr/5bin/* stuff you don't like. For example:

cd /usr/5bin
mv ls ls-CROCK
mv df df-CROCK

Alternately, depending on your shell, you can alias the usage explicitly;
for example (with bash):

alias ls="/usr/bin/ls "

And you could also create a /usr/local/* hierarchy whose bin contains FSF
programs and add /usr/local/bin to the head of your path for the df, etc.
The FSF GNU software has adopted 1K and not 512 byte usage for such programs
where appropriate.

Thad Floryan [ th...@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

Jack Hudler

Jun 15, 1992, 8:31:52 PM6/15/92
>It is now useful(?) for getting a feel for SVR4, if you put it before
>/usr/bin on your path. I did that, and it's a real pain - du and df
>listings in 512 byte chunks instead of K, ls in single column output
>by default, echo -n vs \c, etc. Except for the block/Kb thing, the
>Sys-V way is probably better; it just takes some getting used to.
>(ls deciding how to format output based on whether it's to a tty is a
>mighty crock!)
>
>I hope SunOS 5 adds a switch to get Kb listings though, otherwise I'll
>hang on to /usr/ucb/du.

Doesn't look like that will happen. But if they take away the /usr/ucb stuuf in the final
release, I'll be pissed!.
--
Jack Hudler - Computer Support Corporation - Dallas,Texas - ja...@cs.com