BASin Release 12 available for download

Paul Dunn

Jun 29, 2005, 1:34:21 PM6/29/05
Well, after a rather large break, BASin's latest incarnation is ready for
public use.

Probably.

BASin is a Sinclair Spectrum development environment - a Windows program
that provides advanced features in a "Spectrum" style.

Get it at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/BASin_r12.exe

BASin has the following features in it's arsenal:

Full 128k Style editor -
Authentic look and sound of the 128k Editor.
Resizeable, with scalable font
Program lines are spaced statement by Statement for debugging and
readability
Extensive Search/Replace functionality
128k style on-line calculator
Context sensitive help into the Spectrum Manual
Full PC keyboard support, with mouse support
Auto-bracket typing - either on the fly or at line/statement completion
Predictive typing, for commands and variables
Syntax highlighting - comments, variables, keywords and others all stand out
in an easy to read style
Character ruler for creating strings with perfect screen wrap
Clipboard integration for instant pasting/exporting of BASIC programs from
text listings
Session autosave/restore for resuming where you left off in your coding
Automatic line numbering - just start your lines with "."
Full multilevel undo/redo system
Full online syntax checking, which will show the syntax of the command
you're typing
Quick jump methods to get around the listing
MRU lists of recent programs used
Quick context menu string formatting for word wrapping at screen boundaries
Line 0 support for protected programs

Advanced Debugging features -
Conditional Breakpoints
Multifunctional Watches - watch memory addresses, variables, expressions,
sysvars
single step, run to, go to functions
Error help - full manual text to each error
Runtime tracing, for following your code in real time as it runs.
FAST and SLOW directives for speeding up code whilst debugging
Profiling of your BASIC code to identify speed bottlenecks
Powerful CPU window gives you similar debugging abilities for your z80
Assembly code routines

Debug windows -
The GOSUB stack lists the current level of subroutine activity and the
locations that will be returned to.
Memory Map which shows the spectrum RAM graphically, with highlighting of
areas of interest
Command line history keeps a log of all direct commands for recall at any
time
Memory viewer/editor - a simple hex editor for mucking about with the
Spectrum's RAM
Sysvars editor for keeping track of the system variables without having to
remember the addresses
Variables editor for viewing and editing of variables
Watch and Breakpoint statistics windows

Neat Tools -
Expression evaluator which evaluates... expressions in speccy BASIC. Can use
any BASIC construct and variable.
Token Table - shows a graphical ascii list of characters and UDGs for double
click entry into your code.
UDG/Charset editor for creating UDGs and custom character sets with ease,
instead of POKEs and DATA statements
Renumber tool for ... renumbering your program
Tape creator tool which allows you to create TZX/TAP files of your program
and binary files.
Beep composer for those creative moments when only one channel will do*.
A compiler tool which gives your programs a bit of a speed boost*.
A full featured Z80 assembler, capable of assembling every opcode supported
by the z80. Supports Structures, Include/INCBIN, expressions, nested
conditional assembly/repeats, full DEFB/DEFS support. Imported from the
latest release of SPIN, and written by a SPIN team member, Mark Boyd.

Authentic Emulation
A full, accurate, z80 emulation to drive your programs.
Editor integration - the ROM has been patched and messed with to integrate
the new editor seamlessly.
The editor integration has been extended to give a better runtime INPUT line
routine with full clipboard and PCkeyboard support
Full BEEPER sound and port $FE emulation for sound
All undocumented flags and opcodes emulated.
Very, very fast emulation.
ZX Printer support (including colour screen dumps) which can be sent to the
PC Printer, with multi-column support for paper saving.

Display scaling
Very fast update routines for sending Speccy display memory to the PC screen
advanced scaling options - Scale2x, 2xSAI, SuperEagle, Bilinear
Frameskip and Autothrottling to maintain 100% speed no matter how heavy the
display routines
Rounded corners and scanlines for an authentic look
Aspect Ratio locking and integer scaling for better scaling appearance

File Access
All files are loaded and saved to Hard Drive using standard speccy
LOAD/SAVE/VERIFY/MERGE commands
Binary file access - you can either load a binary direct to memory or
extract the BASIC from it
Supports sna and z80 files, and will rip BASIC and UDGs from both, including
128k snaps. Full Save support.
LOAD "" will bring up a requester for a .bas file, as will SAVE "" for a
Save As.. function
LOAD CODE/DATA/SCREEN$ etc all functional.
All .bas files are fully zmakebas compatible, with some extensions for more
functionality.
Supports loading and saving to .tzx/.tap files, with flashload style
streaming to port $FE for complete compatibility

* These features are currently in development.

New features in this release are the:

Assembler/Debugger - very basic at the moment, but should be useful for
augmenting your BASIC code with machine code snippets - please report any
z80 core bugs when using this!

String formatting - right click a string and get programmed word wrap.

Code profiling - measure the speed that your program runs, for optimisation.
You can isolate and compare individual lines or groups of lines.

ZX Printer support - with full support to use your PC Printer to send your
listings (with BASin's syntax highlighting if desired) and colour screen
dumps to paper.

TZX/TAP support - only for ROM loaders, but now BASin can play a game of Jet
Set Willy if you like. This leads onto...

Full keyboard support via the IN instruction, enabling machine code routines
to get at the keyboard.

There's a whole host of bugfixes and additions too minor to mention here -
so check the "What's New" file in the installation for details.

Have fun, and remember to report all bugs you encounter, no matter how
small.

Thanks!

D.

nikki.bradley1

Jul 5, 2005, 1:23:01 PM7/5/05

"Paul Dunn" <paul....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Well, after a rather large break, BASin's latest incarnation is ready for
> public use.
>
> Probably.

What an amazing piece of work, please keep up the great work

Many Thanks

Dicko

Jul 5, 2005, 1:35:30 PM7/5/05
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:34:21 GMT, "Paul Dunn"
<paul....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Well, after a rather large break, BASin's latest incarnation is ready for
>public use.

Crap.

Paul Dunn

Jul 5, 2005, 5:49:10 PM7/5/05

I shall try to improve it then. Can you be more specific?

D.

Dicko

Jul 6, 2005, 12:10:17 PM7/6/05
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:49:10 GMT, "Paul Dunn"
<paul....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Dicko wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:34:21 GMT, "Paul Dunn"
>> <paul....@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, after a rather large break, BASin's latest incarnation is
>>> ready for public use.
>>
>> Crap.
>
>I shall try to improve it then. Can you be more specific?

Yes.

Paul Dunn

Jul 6, 2005, 12:47:07 PM7/6/05

Well, as you're obviously reluctant to make yourself any clearer, I'll
dismiss your opinion of BASin as unimportant.

As yours is the only negative feedback I've had so far, and in light of the
wealth of positive feedback I've had, I can assume that the release has been
well received.

D.

Dicko

Jul 6, 2005, 1:00:37 PM7/6/05

Yeah. Filling up Recycle Bins nationwide!

Doctor J. Frink

Jul 6, 2005, 3:06:48 PM7/6/05

Unfortunately I can't run it because I don't use Windows and it appears
to have a problem with my WINE. It says "Error writing temp file".

Any ideas?

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
See his mind here : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/

Peter Thomas

Jul 6, 2005, 5:37:44 PM7/6/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:00:37 GMT, Dicko <n...@body.com> wrote:

>>As yours is the only negative feedback I've had so far, and in light of the
>>wealth of positive feedback I've had, I can assume that the release has been
>>well received.
>Yeah. Filling up Recycle Bins nationwide!

Remind me, what is it that you've done for the Spectrum emulation
community that is so much better than Dunny's output?

--
pete [at] ¦ W H E N B A C K E D I N T O A C O R N E R . . .
horseshoe ¦ "such a waste of space, such a small turd hanging on tightly to

Lemmiwinks, The Gerbil King

Jul 6, 2005, 6:20:29 PM7/6/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:37:44 +0100, Peter Thomas
<use...@thekingfisher.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:00:37 GMT, Dicko <n...@body.com> wrote:
>
>>>As yours is the only negative feedback I've had so far, and in light of the
>>>wealth of positive feedback I've had, I can assume that the release has been
>>>well received.
>>Yeah. Filling up Recycle Bins nationwide!
>
>Remind me, what is it that you've done for the Spectrum emulation
>community that is so much better than Dunny's output?

Heh! If my guess about who "Dicko" is is correct, then quite a bit.

Isn't that right... <fx: removes Dicko's mask in a Scooby-Doo style>...
WOODY!!!

Paul Dunn

Jul 7, 2005, 8:26:37 AM7/7/05

Well, I can categorically state that it's not Woody doing the posting there.

However, you have to admit, it's certainly his "style"... Indeed, the hand
of Woody can move people to do His bidding :-)

D.

Lemmiwinks, The Gerbil King

Jul 7, 2005, 9:21:32 AM7/7/05
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:26:37 GMT, "Paul Dunn" <paul....@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Well, I can categorically state that it's not Woody doing the posting there.

Hmmm... Same ISP, same newsreader (and the same version) as Woody.
Hardly damning evidence I know, but call it a hunch!

>However, you have to admit, it's certainly his "style"... Indeed, the hand
>of Woody can move people to do His bidding :-)

Well, we need a scapegoat and I nominate Woody.

Marko

Jul 7, 2005, 5:41:01 PM7/7/05

"Lemmiwinks, The Gerbil King" <chr...@gmail.com.youknowwhattodo> wrote in
message news:k3aqc1p11uss8o5pr...@4ax.com...

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's not woody!

Marko

Lemmiwinks, The Gerbil King

Jul 8, 2005, 4:46:45 AM7/8/05
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:41:01 +0100, "Marko" <no...@none.com> wrote:

>"Lemmiwinks, The Gerbil King" <chr...@gmail.com.youknowwhattodo> wrote in
>message news:k3aqc1p11uss8o5pr...@4ax.com...

>> Well, we need a scapegoat and I nominate Woody.

>Nope, I'm pretty sure it's not woody!

Tsk! You're all as bad as each other.

Dicko

Jul 8, 2005, 12:16:13 PM7/8/05
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:41:01 +0100, "Marko" <no...@none.com> wrote:

We're discussing BASin here and not this woody thanks very much.

Dicko

Jul 8, 2005, 12:17:53 PM7/8/05

Nothing like a good Woody!

deKay

Jul 8, 2005, 1:28:28 PM7/8/05
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 7 Jul
2005 22:41:01 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
yawatina tan reek esk "Marko" <no...@none.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan
el:

>> Well, we need a scapegoat and I nominate Woody.
>
>Nope, I'm pretty sure it's not woody!

Then I blame the French.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/

Jaime Tejedor Gómez, aka Metalbrain

Jul 8, 2005, 1:48:10 PM7/8/05
>>>However, you have to admit, it's certainly his "style"... Indeed, the hand
>>>of Woody can move people to do His bidding :-)
>>
>> Well, we need a scapegoat and I nominate Woody.
>
>Nope, I'm pretty sure it's not woody!

I hope you're not looking at his cutted head on a bottle right now...

METALBRAIN
(C) 1977 Tejedor & Gómez Research Ltd.

Woody

Jul 9, 2005, 4:20:49 PM7/9/05
<paul....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Well, I can categorically state that it's not Woody doing the posting there.

Really? :p

Woody

Jul 9, 2005, 4:20:21 PM7/9/05

Congratulations to you, sir!

Woody

Jul 9, 2005, 4:21:05 PM7/9/05
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:41:01 +0100, "Marko" <no...@none.com> wrote:

>Nope, I'm pretty sure it's not woody!

Really? :p

Woody

Jul 9, 2005, 4:21:49 PM7/9/05
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:37:44 +0100, Peter Thomas
<use...@thekingfisher.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:00:37 GMT, Dicko <n...@body.com> wrote:
>
>>>As yours is the only negative feedback I've had so far, and in light of the
>>>wealth of positive feedback I've had, I can assume that the release has been
>>>well received.
>>Yeah. Filling up Recycle Bins nationwide!
>
>Remind me, what is it that you've done for the Spectrum emulation
>community that is so much better than Dunny's output?

Fair point!

Peter Thomas

Jul 9, 2005, 5:32:54 PM7/9/05
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:21:49 GMT, Woody
<woody.6031769.n...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>Yeah. Filling up Recycle Bins nationwide!
>>Remind me, what is it that you've done for the Spectrum emulation
>>community that is so much better than Dunny's output?
>Fair point!

Convention!

Lemmiwinks, The Gerbil King

Jul 9, 2005, 8:05:18 PM7/9/05

Heheh! And you'd have gotten away with it... etc. etc.

/me wanders back to the Mystery Machine to fix a scooby snack

Doctor J. Frink

Jul 14, 2005, 1:15:01 PM7/14/05

Never mind all that, some (or maybe no) people may be interested to
know that BASin seems to at least run under WINE on Linux if it is run
from an already installed base eg I installed on the windows machine at
work, then copied the Program Files\BASin directory. As always it's the
installer that has the real problems.

Sound doesn't work (yet) and the graphics can be a bit slow if more than
100% size but it's a start. A simple 10 PRINT "I AM SKILL!" 20 GO TO 10
works and that's good enough for me.

Might actually use it if I get time and if the computer room stops
feeling like an oven in the current climate.