Former maker of Sinclair add-ons in the U.S.

zxbruno

Mar 3, 2010, 1:23:38 AM3/3/10
In my continuing efforts to find people from the Timex-Sinclair past
I found two gentleman who were, at some point, the owners of Byte-
Back. This company used to make and sell interfaces for the ZX81,
TS1000, TS1500 and even the TS2068 here in the U.S. If you've seen the
Sync magazine you may have seen their ads as well. I will quote my
conversation with the two gentleman and post a link to a file that Mr
David Leech sent me. He was the last owner of Byte-Back, and has given
me permission to share all Byte-Back related material online.

"On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Jerry Minchey wrote:

Bruno,

Yes, I developed and sold accessories for the Timex computer. I
advertised in the Sync magazine. My company was called Byte-Back.

I had a modem, a 16k and a 64K memory module and an input/
output device called the BB-1 that had relays, and electronic inputs
and outputs to allow the computer to control external devices.

Contact David Leech in Batesburg, SC. He is the person I sold the Byte-
Back company to. I'm sorry that I don't have his email address.

Jerry Minchey"

"Date Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM
subject RE: Byte-Back

Bruno:

Gorilla Banana... I hadn't heard that name in years, even forgotten
about it. Yes there is/was an RS-232 driver for the modem and I can
recall watching the printer zip out a line every so often... which was
blazing fast at that time. Of course the modem software was primitive
because COMPUSERVE "on-line" was primitive at 300 baud. You could
almost type faster. Back then the "standard" RS232 and Centronics
wasn't even "standardized" making printer connection a real pain.

Well obviously you have found the source or more appropriately the
remnants of Byte-Back. And yes, my attic is filled with Byte-Back
items ranging from historic to recently historic (brand new in the
brown 8x8x4 plain cardboard box they used to ship in). I'm really
busy from now until at least the start of July, but will stop in at
the Yahoo group when I have a chance.

As for the scanning and publication of manuals and schematics, let me
think on that as it might be best to provide those myself to insure
the correct stuff gets out there if I can still find it.

Jerry Minchey started with the 16K memory, and then the modem and BB-1
controller. I got involved about that time (1981ish), then the design
was changed from the square box to the extruded aluminum design and
the UM-64 ultimate memory with battery backup and the revised MD-2
modem were added. Later I added the Centronics Printer port, the A/D
converter for the BB-1, and the Real Time clock. Of course with the
advent of the 2068, there were a few mods to make the items work, thus
the MD-68 modem, BB-68.....

I should be able to resurrect most if not all of the Byte-Back items
one way or another. Software might be the only issue as we all know
how well digital recording on cassette worked and how well cassettes
preserve over time.

If you don't hear from me sooner, check back with me in July.
But if there is a need for Byte-Back items, there is definitely hope,
its just a matter of finding a clear place to work and time to do it.

David Leech"

"Date: Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM
Subject: Byte-Back

Bruno Florindo
This is my second attempt at pdf formation of Byte-Back manuals. The
first was too large and crashed and burned in-rout to you.

Hope this arrives and is useful. Let me know. Please feel free to
post on your site (in its entirety with introductory page
"resurrecting Byte-Back 2009")

I will work on more as I have time. At least this is a start and you
now know I haven't forgotten you.

David Leech"

And here's the file he sent me:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C6AFJ7H0

This is proof that it isn't too late to preserve Timex-Sinclair
material, and that there are still a lot of nice people out there!
People who understand that we're trying to preserve their work, and
appreciate it.

Enjoy! :)

Walter Banks

Mar 23, 2010, 12:07:02 AM3/23/10

zxbruno wrote:

> In my continuing efforts to find people from the Timex-Sinclair past
> I found two gentleman who were, at some point, the owners of Byte-
> Back. This company used to make and sell interfaces for the ZX81,
> TS1000, TS1500 and even the TS2068 here in the U.S. If you've seen the
> Sync magazine you may have seen their ads as well. I will quote my
> conversation with the two gentleman and post a link to a file that Mr
> David Leech sent me. He was the last owner of Byte-Back, and has given
> me permission to share all Byte-Back related material online.

We developed a printer for the ZX81 for Mindware. I ran
into the prototypes a few days go

Walter Banks

zxbruno

Mar 23, 2010, 2:14:14 AM3/23/10
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@netfront.net ---

Hi Walter. Are there any pictures that you can share? Could you tell
us more about those days? I think I remember seeing the printer being
advertised on the Sync Magazine. I don't know a single Sinclair
collector that has one in his collection. It would be great and
exciting to know a little more about the product you developed.

Walter Banks

Mar 24, 2010, 3:58:28 PM3/24/10
Bruno,

Would you send me off-line an email address where I can reach you.

Thanks

Walter..

zxbruno

Mar 24, 2010, 11:37:29 PM3/24/10

E-mail sent. Thanks Walter! :)

Hanno Foest

Jun 2, 2010, 9:30:11 AM6/2/10
zxbruno schrieb:

> On Mar 22, 9:07 pm, Walter Banks <wal...@bytecraft.com> wrote:
>> We developed a printer for the ZX81 for Mindware. I ran
>> into the prototypes a few days go
>
> Hi Walter. Are there any pictures that you can share? Could you tell
> us more about those days? I think I remember seeing the printer being
> advertised on the Sync Magazine. I don't know a single Sinclair
> collector that has one in his collection.

I think I have one or two of these, and I remember having a manual too.

(Yes, really late reply, but I'm trying to catch up with old news items)

Hanno

Walter Banks

Jun 2, 2010, 11:55:12 AM6/2/10

Hanno Foest wrote:

I have two or three bankers boxes of prototypes and documents
for add on's for the ZX-81 based products. I also have the masters for
all of the software that Mindware published. I still have periodic contact
with the folks that owned mindware and after I sort out the material's
status we may be able to release it.

It is not going to get destroyed.

If anyone wants pictures of the printers contact me off line
and I will email them to you. Otherwise I will post them when
I get a chance.

Walter..

lsc...@gbta.net

Nov 11, 2016, 12:21:51 PM11/11/16
Bruno,

I found your conversation with David Leech on the Byte-Back material. I am interested in finding one or more of the 8 I/O expansion boards that B-B produced. Did you get any of the info you requested? I see where he sent a file to you by way of Megaupload which no longer exists. Did the info get saved or posted elsewhere?

The reason I ask is because I have an 8 year old grandson who has expressed an interest in robotics. He has recently joined a local 4-H club who sponsors, among many areas, a robotics division. We have started discusions about several things we can do and laying out the differnt projects on paper. I have one BB-1 expansion module but fear we will need more than just 8 I/O. I would prefer to buy completed modules but I realize that probably is not available. We can assemble the boards if printed boards are available, and if necessay we can print the boards only if the artwork is available but would really prefer the first scenario.

Any help or direction you can offer us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan