New ZX81 site.

Ian Marshall

Mar 2, 2002, 8:20:09 AM3/2/02
Hi all,

I have put up my new site ZX81 The Archive. It's early days and there is
alot to add but i had to start somewhere. Take a look and see what you
think.

www.imarshall.karoo.net/zx81/index.htm

cheers

Ian

ZeDeX82

Mar 2, 2002, 4:06:44 PM3/2/02

Like the picture of the ZX81 on your index page.

--

ZeDeX82
The Speccy zone

Chris Cowley

Mar 2, 2002, 7:50:49 PM3/2/02
On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 13:20:09 -0000, "Ian Marshall"
<i...@imarshall.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I have put up my new site ZX81 The Archive. It's early days and there is
>alot to add but i had to start somewhere. Take a look and see what you
>think.

Hi Ian,

Very nice site, well done! But I thought you might like to know that the
version of vb81 you are distributing is way out of date. The current
release is v1.30 and you can grab a copy from
http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/vb81/
--
Chris Cowley

Fame and fortune await in SpeccyGame 2002 - "The c.s.s. Good Game
Competition". http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/game-compo/ for details

David Buttery

Mar 2, 2002, 10:01:35 PM3/2/02

Good stuff - we need to stick together in the face of the Speccy
onslaught (I am *not* a "Spec-chum" just because I'm on c.s.s! <g>)

You're right about the large numbers of rather - ahem - "basic" .P
files in the archive. Where are mine (well, my grandad's), though, eh?

--
"After all, a mere thousand yards... such a harmless little knoll,
really" - Raymond Mays on Shelsley Walsh.

The GPL Scrapyard: bits 'n' bobs at http://www.hillclimbfan.f2s.com

Mike Lee

Mar 3, 2002, 10:48:20 AM3/3/02

Ian Marshall wrote:

Hi Ian,
Yes just been there, nice to see a another site on the ZX81, I have
bookmarked your site onto my favourites (ZX81) I have just done a site for
the commodore64, but I also use the ZX Spectrum+3 and ZX81 myself. Keep the
nice work up, its how bigger sites start............
Mike......

witchy

Mar 5, 2002, 1:21:46 PM3/5/02
In article <u81kcjn...@corp.supernews.com>, "Ian Marshall"
<i...@imarshall.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

Smart - I'll link to you from Binary Dinosaurs if that's OK.....

witchy

Ian Marshall

Mar 5, 2002, 4:21:46 PM3/5/02
Fine by me and thanks.

"witchy" <wit...@sruasonidyranib.oc.ku> wrote in message

[JJ]

Mar 5, 2002, 5:22:46 PM3/5/02
I like your site, but I think you could improve it by databasing all the
ZX81 games available (title/publisher/year). There isn't one ZX81 site which
even attempts this so if you did this your site would be a first. Apart from
that it looks cool to me...

--

Regards

[JJ]
email: jj...@btinternet.com
url: http://retro-remakes.emuunlim.com/
ICQ: 70781704

Chris Cowley

Mar 5, 2002, 6:19:50 PM3/5/02

http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk/zx81search/ attempts this!
--
Chris Cowley
vbSpec and vb81

[JJ]

Mar 5, 2002, 11:40:46 PM3/5/02
> http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk/zx81search/ attempts this!

This just searches the WOS archive which has virtually no ZX81
year/publishers...

example:

Format: P
Archive: WOS
Memory: 16K
Author: unknown
Publisher: unknown
Year of release: unknown
Language: English
Type: Util / Maths
File size: 2335/5637
Hires mode: None
Original price: unknown
Origin: unknown / unknown
Protection Scheme: unknown
Comments: none

Which is a tad useless unless you want to know your maths program is Util /
Maths :o)

Chris Cowley

Mar 6, 2002, 8:30:42 AM3/6/02
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 04:40:46 +0000 (UTC), "[JJ]" <jj...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk/zx81search/ attempts this!

>This just searches the WOS archive which has virtually no ZX81
>year/publishers...

Yes, I know it's not complete. But picking an obscure maths utility
isn't a very representative example. Most of the popular games have a
reasonable level of information included (Author, Publisher, Year Of
Release, Language and File Size in many cases).

I did spend a few hours last year going through the archive and trying
to fill in blanks (for example many games have copyright notices in
them, so you can determine the year and publisher from that), but it
looks like someone had already done this before me as there were almost
no unfilled blanks that could be filled in this way. Maybe a few blanks
could be filled in if anyone has old issues of ZX Computing with adverts
or reviews of games in...
--
Chris Cowley

Tayles

Mar 6, 2002, 12:12:28 PM3/6/02
"Ian Marshall" <i...@imarshall.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<u81kcjn...@corp.supernews.com>...

Excellent work. The life and times of the ZX81 are sadly
under-represented on the web, so it's good to see those terrific old
tape inlays and adverts.

Russ.

Chris Young

Mar 6, 2002, 1:23:07 PM3/6/02
On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:30:42 +0000, Chris Cowley (of comp.sys.sinclair "fame")
wibbled on for an age:

> >> http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk/zx81search/ attempts this!
> >
> >This just searches the WOS archive which has virtually no ZX81
> >year/publishers...
>
> Yes, I know it's not complete. But picking an obscure maths utility
> isn't a very representative example. Most of the popular games have a
> reasonable level of information included (Author, Publisher, Year Of
> Release, Language and File Size in many cases).

There were plans (originally, a long time ago, but getting this far
has taken longer than originally envisaged) to add other ZX81 archives
to the database. There were not any plans to create a database of
every single piece of ZX81 software available, but this is easy to add
to the current database format, so if anybody wants to take up that
challenge let me know and I can send you the details of the database
format (it's just a plain text file) so it can be added to that.

> I did spend a few hours last year going through the archive and trying
> to fill in blanks (for example many games have copyright notices in
> them, so you can determine the year and publisher from that), but it
> looks like someone had already done this before me as there were almost
> no unfilled blanks that could be filled in this way.

Yes, most of the publisher/author information was in fact taken from
the game code (REM statements, on screen messages etc). Any
information not found within the programs will need adding. Also,
there are a batch of titles (with filenames ending in .p.zip), most of
which are not in the database yet.

> could be filled in if anyone has old issues of ZX Computing with adverts
> or reviews of games in...

Yes, that's what we need.

Chris

| http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk |
| Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
+-- http://www.ysac.cjb.net/ --ICQ:28784166-+

KH

Mar 6, 2002, 5:23:42 PM3/6/02
news....@ecuador.com (Tayles) wrote in message news:<8f293dab.02030...@posting.google.com>...

... and a few more for good measure:

http://www.telephonyindex.co.uk/Sinclair/Sinclair.html

Anyone got a list of the Sinclair branded titles for the ZX81 ??

Ta.

Spacejock

Mar 7, 2002, 10:34:43 AM3/7/02
> Yes, most of the publisher/author information was in fact taken from
> the game code (REM statements, on screen messages etc). Any
> information not found within the programs will need adding. Also,
> there are a batch of titles (with filenames ending in .p.zip), most of
> which are not in the database yet.
>
> > could be filled in if anyone has old issues of ZX Computing with adverts
> > or reviews of games in...
>
> Yes, that's what we need.
>
> Chris

I've got ZX Computing from issue 2 on and Sinclair Programs from Sept'82
on - what sort of ads do you mean? (I just tried to access the web page but
got a dns error)

Cheers
Simon
--
o Author of yBook, yRead, BookDB (Book reading and cataloging tools)
o yWriter & Sonar (Tools for writers)

Matthew Westcott

Mar 7, 2002, 1:27:32 PM3/7/02
Spacejock wrote in <3c87891a$0$48...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>:

>I've got ZX Computing from issue 2 on and Sinclair Programs from Sept'82
>on - what sort of ads do you mean?

Does ZX Computing go as far back as April '82? I'm just asking because if
people are going to be looking through old mags for adverts, it would be
worth keeping an eye out for adverts for the Earls Court Computer Fair in
early April - for that was where the Speccy was released, and I don't think
anyone's found out the exact date. Could be worth knowing, should anyone be
planning any grand 20th anniversary events...

--
Matthew Westcott - CSSfiance to Nattie
http://www.zxdemo.org/ - the home of the Spectrum demo scene

Chris Young

Mar 7, 2002, 2:13:10 PM3/7/02
On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:34:43 +0800, Spacejock (of comp.sys.sinclair "fame")

wibbled on for an age:

> > Yes, most of the publisher/author information was in fact taken from

> > the game code (REM statements, on screen messages etc). Any
> > information not found within the programs will need adding. Also,
> > there are a batch of titles (with filenames ending in .p.zip), most of
> > which are not in the database yet.
> >
> > > could be filled in if anyone has old issues of ZX Computing with adverts
> > > or reviews of games in...
> >
> > Yes, that's what we need.
>

> I've got ZX Computing from issue 2 on and Sinclair Programs from Sept'82
> on - what sort of ads do you mean? (I just tried to access the web page but
> got a dns error)

Erk! Try http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi - set the
machine type to "ZX81" and put a search in of something which won't
display many results - "forty niner" should do nicely. That will
display all the information we are trying to collate.

Generally the things which could be gleaned from adverts will be the
price, publisher and year of release, but any other information is
also useful (such as the memory requirements, genre etc). If you feel
like scanning through and compiling some data, please do so. I'm
especially interested in titles which are in the WOS archive, but any
commercial offerings which are MIA will go nicely in the database as
well. If you email them to me, use chris @
unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk and of course you will be credited for
your work.

Spacejock

Mar 8, 2002, 11:46:48 AM3/8/02
> >I've got ZX Computing from issue 2 on and Sinclair Programs from Sept'82
> >on - what sort of ads do you mean?
>
> Does ZX Computing go as far back as April '82? I'm just asking because if
> people are going to be looking through old mags for adverts, it would be
> worth keeping an eye out for adverts for the Earls Court Computer Fair in
> early April - for that was where the Speccy was released, and I don't
think
> anyone's found out the exact date. Could be worth knowing, should anyone
be
> planning any grand 20th anniversary events...

This one's Aug/Sep. A quick scan through shows...

"The New Computer" (page 13)

"At the IPC Computer Faire, which was the first place the Spectrum was shown
publicly, the crowd was so thick around the stand that even Clive himself
gave up trying to get onto his own stand at one point, and wandered away"
In the photo he looks like a waiter with a platter of canapes. Only the
tray is a speccy.

Pages 14 & 15: Photos from the 'ZX Microfair, taken the week after the
Spectrum launch" Also says "The following week, at the ZX microfair, the
Spectrum was still the center of attention".

Now, does anyone know the date of the 1982 ZX Microfair :-)

Cheers
Simon

Dave Foreman

Mar 8, 2002, 1:16:08 PM3/8/02
On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 00:46:48 +0800, "Spacejock" <sim...@nospam.net.au>
wrote:

>> Does ZX Computing go as far back as April '82? I'm just asking because if
>> people are going to be looking through old mags for adverts, it would be
>> worth keeping an eye out for adverts for the Earls Court Computer Fair in
>> early April - for that was where the Speccy was released, and I don't
>> think anyone's found out the exact date. Could be worth knowing, should
>> anyone be planning any grand 20th anniversary events...
>
>This one's Aug/Sep. A quick scan through shows...
>
>"The New Computer" (page 13)
>
>"At the IPC Computer Faire, which was the first place the Spectrum was shown
>publicly, the crowd was so thick around the stand that even Clive himself
>gave up trying to get onto his own stand at one point, and wandered away"
>In the photo he looks like a waiter with a platter of canapes. Only the
>tray is a speccy.
>
>Pages 14 & 15: Photos from the 'ZX Microfair, taken the week after the
>Spectrum launch" Also says "The following week, at the ZX microfair, the
>Spectrum was still the center of attention".
>
>Now, does anyone know the date of the 1982 ZX Microfair :-)

The April Sinclair User has a page of photos from the 2nd ZX Microfair,
held at Westminster Central Halls. Mike Johnston was "planning his next
Microfair which, to help avoid the massive queues, is being held over
two days on Friday, April 30 and Saturday, May 1." Doesn't say where
though.

The Summer 82 ZX Computing has a short piece on the Microfairs, but
doesn't have any additional info regarding the dates. Apparently the
first was held in Sep 81 with 4000 visitors and the second at the end of
Jan 82, where 12000 turned up.

In spite of the fact that it's the Summer 82 edition, this seems to have
been written before the 3rd show took place -

"The main attractions at the second show - add-on hardware bits to get
ZX81s to sing and dance, to draw real SPACE INVADERS and user-defined
graphics - will be out in force at the third show, as well as part of
the rapidly expanding output of books, software and selection of
software."

In common with Sinclair User, no mention is made of the Spectrum.

So that's all clear then.

--
Dave
SUMO : Sinclair User Magazine Online