ZX81 as webserver :-)

siggi

Aug 16, 2007, 12:39:48 PM8/16/07
I did it. I took Adam Dunkels TCP/IP stack (uIP )and web server and
compiled it for the Zeddy. And now the Zeddy is online (via a serial
port and SLIP protocol, 9600 baud).

And here it is:

http://zx81-siggi.endoftheinternet.org/index.html

Have fun

Siggi

Please note: this it a just-for-fun project: the ZX81 may go offline
or down anytime ....

Guesser

Aug 16, 2007, 12:45:48 PM8/16/07
That is excellent! I wonder if a spectrum version could be compiled for
the +3e, I don't know if the odd serial port would hinder it though...

--
link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

deKay

Aug 16, 2007, 12:57:52 PM8/16/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 16 Aug
2007 09:39:48 -0700, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
yawatina tan reek esk siggi <geh...@mailinator.com> fornis do marikano es
bono tan el:

Amazing!

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/

Duncan Snowden

Aug 16, 2007, 2:40:50 PM8/16/07
siggi wrote:

That is, officially, the coolest thing ever. 75 quid[1] and several[2]
cases of Rolos to Siggi!

[1] In Monopoly money.

[2] ... metaphorical ...

--
Duncan Snowden.

DazS

Aug 16, 2007, 3:46:55 PM8/16/07
> siggi wrote:
>
>> I did it. I took Adam Dunkels TCP/IP stack (uIP )and web server and
>> compiled it for the Zeddy. And now the Zeddy is online (via a serial
>> port and SLIP protocol, 9600 baud).
>>
>> And here it is:
>>
>> http://zx81-siggi.endoftheinternet.org/index.html
>>
>> Have fun
>>
>> Siggi
>>
>> Please note: this it a just-for-fun project: the ZX81 may go offline
>> or down anytime ....

Just accessed the page, thats so cool, I love that idea.
Perhaps as has been mentioned earlier a +3e or at least a 48k/128k speccy
server? I'm sure someone did a Spectrum version, mind like a seive me :-)

DaZs
--
My attempt to get back into programming the Speccy :-)
http://spectrumdays.blogspot.com

OwenBot

Aug 16, 2007, 6:58:43 PM8/16/07
That's the same stack those evil C64 owners used to get one of their
machines working as a webserver. I presume the Zeddy has something
more than 1K of RAM though. Still, now we have an answer for that
question in the annual (quarterly?) flame war.

Nama

Aug 16, 2007, 7:53:05 PM8/16/07
Just curious, What is the serial hardware you are using on the zeddy?

siggi

Aug 17, 2007, 2:45:36 AM8/17/07
On 17 Aug., 00:53, Nama <forums6...@mac.com> wrote:
> Just curious, What is the serial hardware you are using on the zeddy?

In 1986 I added an ECB bus interface to my Zeddy. I took a "standard"
card (made by Rolf Dieter Klein for the "NDR-Kleincomputer") with ECB
bus and put it into my Zeddy. That card is equipped with a SIO-0 (2
serial channels) and a PIO. I added also a CTC as flexible baudrate-
generator for the SIO.

Siggi

BTW: My Zeddy is equipped with 600 KB static ram (512 KB used as
ramdisk: drive R:).

Douglas Paulley

Aug 17, 2007, 1:16:07 PM8/17/07
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:39:48 -0700, siggi <geh...@mailinator.com>
wrote:

>I did it. I took Adam Dunkels TCP/IP stack (uIP )and web server and
>compiled it for the Zeddy. And now the Zeddy is online (via a serial
>port and SLIP protocol, 9600 baud).
>
>And here it is:
>
>http://zx81-siggi.endoftheinternet.org/index.html
>
>Have fun

Nice one, fantastic!

No doubt you could now sell your kit to Ebuyer for hundreds of pounds.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/07/ebuyer_runs_site_on_commodore64/
. They are already using two Speccy 48s for web serving...

--
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
remove .lartsspammers to reply by email

Gerard Sweeney

Aug 17, 2007, 7:31:55 PM8/17/07
Quite obviously proving that there's nothing quite as mad as a mad
genius, siggi wrote:

> I did it. I took Adam Dunkels TCP/IP stack (uIP )and web server and
> compiled it for the Zeddy. And now the Zeddy is online (via a serial
> port and SLIP protocol, 9600 baud).

Corks! That really is rather splendid, Sir...

Now, how come the Web server at work needs a gajillion Gb of RAM to
work, when this little marvel is up and running? Tch, eh?

> Please note: this it a just-for-fun project: the ZX81 may go offline
> or down anytime ....

Much like the aforementioned web server at work (you're fired! Gerard's
Boss).. Eep!

Toodle-pip!
Gerard

--
Gerard Sweeney
Hackers Anonymous/Team Amiga

zxbruno

Aug 17, 2007, 10:07:38 PM8/17/07
It's interesting to see how ZX81 and TS1000 users are fascinated with
the idea of expansion, connecting to the internet, running a
webserver, etc. and at the same time most ZX Spectrum users say it
takes away the soul of the machine, 'we have PCs to do that', etc.
etc.
Someone has contacted me and offered to build the first Ethernet
interface (and lynx-style browser) for the TS2068. Hopefully we'll
have something similar for the Spectrum in the near future.
I want to take my portable Spectrum with me and connect it to my
windows network. I also want to go to a cafe, open my ZX Spectrum
laptop and check my e-mail, browse css, use ftp, etc. It will happen.

OwenBot

Aug 18, 2007, 4:59:24 AM8/18/07

I'm all in favour of developing this stuff for the Speccy. The problem
is that connecting to the internet in a useful manner is far trickier
than setting up a web server. You need a proper file-system with a
swap space in order to display a page in HTML given that many HTML
pages are now bigger than the available address space on the Z80. I
think the best bet is probably in the future development of ResiDOS.
It certainly is possible on the Z80 since the MSX can do it with UZIX
(and it has a graphical browser).

Duncan Snowden

Aug 18, 2007, 2:46:29 PM8/18/07
Gerard Sweeney wrote:

> Now, how come the Web server at work needs a gajillion Gb of RAM to
> work, when this little marvel is up and running? Tch, eh?

Hey, hey, 16K; what does that get you today? To coin a phrase.

--
Duncan Snowden.

Duncan Snowden

Aug 18, 2007, 2:52:52 PM8/18/07
zxbruno wrote:

> I also want to go to a cafe, open my ZX Spectrum
> laptop and check my e-mail, browse css, use ftp, etc. It will happen.

And I want a case like this to put it in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086@N02/829341753/

Just thinking about it makes me go all funny inside. Eat 8-bit dirt,
smug MacBook users!

--
Duncan Snowden.

siggi

Aug 18, 2007, 3:49:58 PM8/18/07

Duncan Snowden

Aug 19, 2007, 7:28:10 PM8/19/07
siggi wrote:

Fantastic! You know, I remember thinking at the time the ZX81 would make
a good portable computer if only they'd hurry up and invent flat screens. :)

--
Duncan Snowden.