KEY-O-MATIC the auto-licenser from the nether regions

1 view

Bob DeBula

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
*Ahem*. I just sent in my first Varsity Program request in some time
(perhaps a month or so). Rather than processing it as usual, instead I
received a reply back from an auto-responder (KEY-O-MATIC). This beast
is now shifting the burden back on me to complete a (not very
thoroughly explained) form. As the local SGI Varsity Program admin. for
the campus, I previously sent a template to the requesting SGI user
(after verifying that I had a receipt for them for the SGI Varsity
Program), had them complete it, and e-mail it back to me. I then added
some additional info (of which the user community should not be aware,
such as the Varsity Program verification ID) and e-mailed it on to
"lic...@sgi.com").

Now, it looks like *I* will have the burden (either via a web page or
via one of these email templates) of keying the bulk of the information
in myself, as well as providing "proof of purchase" and some machine
information and some other info which isn't terribly relevant (they now
require machine type in addition to sysid & serial number, *either one
of which should be sufficient for them to figure it out for themselves*
-- unless SGI doesn't keep manufacturing records). I guess I'm really
irritated because I received *NO INDICATION* that this change was
coming and I have better things to do today than figure out how to jump
through these hoops and make KEY-O-MATIC a happy little robot. Of
course, there is nada chance (unless one of the engineers forwards it
on) that any SGI marketing droids or "corporate support" folks or
management will ever read this. All of my attempts to lure them into
electronic communication previously have failed miserably.

Well, this certainly didn't make my morning, sorry for venting, but
I thought it was worth a shot at posting here just in case it gets
forwarded on to some appropriate (currently faceless) SGI higher
up. I don't hold much hope of ever receiving any electronic
response from "corporate" though....