How to pronounce "IRIX"?

Andrew McLaren

Dec 19, 2001, 4:12:06 AM12/19/01
Hi all,

Apologies in advance for a possibly rather trivial question; but I'd really
like to know ...

For years, I have pronounced IRIX as "eye-ricks" - with a long first "i".
The other day I was speaking to a chap, otherwise very knowledgeable on all
Unix matters, when he referred to "i-ricks" with short "i", as in "it".

We looked at each other as if we were idiots. And both said "Well I've
never heard anyone say (blah) before!"

So, what is the net.opinion? Eye-ricks or i-ricks?

Thanks and Cheers
Andrew

Alex

Dec 19, 2001, 4:22:56 AM12/19/01

"Andrew McLaren" <andrew...@bigpond.n0-s-p-a-m.com> wrote in message

This has already been adressed a few monthes ago, in this ng. Kind of fun to
read...
Digest is : pronounce the way you want.

Or come in France, where an 'i' is always an 'i' (as in it), no mistake
possible here :)

alex

Michiel Kreutzer

Dec 19, 2001, 5:21:21 AM12/19/01
Alex wrote:

> "Andrew McLaren" <andrew...@bigpond.n0-s-p-a-m.com> wrote in message
> > So, what is the net.opinion? Eye-ricks or i-ricks?
>
> Or come in France, where an 'i' is always an 'i' (as in it), no mistake
> possible here :)

Same goes here in the Netherlands for Dutch, where 'i' is [ee] as in
eh.. "beer".... And for that matter, same in German and I guess Latin
(but you might check that with the vatican)

Michiel

Emmanuel Florac

Dec 19, 2001, 5:43:02 AM12/19/01
Dans l'article <Xns917CCC79F40...@210.49.20.254>,
andrew...@bigpond.n0-s-p-a-m.com a dit...

> Apologies in advance for a possibly rather trivial question; but I'd really
> like to know ...
>
> For years, I have pronounced IRIX as "eye-ricks" - with a long first "i".
> The other day I was speaking to a chap, otherwise very knowledgeable on all
> Unix matters, when he referred to "i-ricks" with short "i", as in "it".

Well last time I was in Moutain View (july), everybody at SGI used to say
eye-ricks, engineers, VPs, CEO. I never herad i-rix except of course in
France, Italy and other countries where i is said just i.

Emmanuel Florac | Kreode technologies

Ian Mapleson

Dec 19, 2001, 10:11:36 AM12/19/01

Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> Well last time I was in Moutain View (july), everybody at SGI used to say
> eye-ricks, engineers, VPs, CEO. I never herad i-rix except of course in
> France, Italy and other countries where i is said just i.

And as far as consistency in the English language goes, it ought to be
eye-ricks since the spelling is similar to IRIS.

Ian.

Walter Roberson

Dec 19, 2001, 2:03:36 PM12/19/01
In article <3C20AE28...@yahoo.com>,
Ian Mapleson <mape...@yahoo.com> wrote:
:And as far as consistency in the English language goes, it ought to be

:eye-ricks since the spelling is similar to IRIS.

It depends on how you syllabify the word.

In English, 'i' as a syllable by itself, is pronounced long like in 'eye'.
But 'i' as the first letter of a syllable and followed by a series
of consonants, is pronounced short, like in 'it' and 'if' and 'inst';
this transforms to the "intermediate vowel" in combination with 'r',
like in 'irradiate' (ear-ray-dee-eight)

Thus, I-RIX would be eye-ricks, but IR-IX would be ear-icks.

It is certainly true that IRIX is morphologically similar to IRIS,
but IRIS is morphologically similar to IBIS which is ib-is
not eye-biss. The lesson of which is that English is inconsistant. ;-)

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/ling006.html
"Remember Bernard Shaw's word ghoti with the [gh] from
"laugh", the [o] from "women" and the [ti] from "nation"
and could be pronounced "fish"? "

ha...@pacbell.net

Dec 19, 2001, 8:46:31 PM12/19/01
In <9vqoa8$bm2$1...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>, robe...@ibd.nrc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:

>It is certainly true that IRIX is morphologically similar to IRIS,
>but IRIS is morphologically similar to IBIS which is ib-is
>not eye-biss. The lesson of which is that English is inconsistant. ;-)

'i·bis (bs)
n. pl. ibis or i·bis·es

1.Any of various storklike wading birds of the family Threskiornithidae
of temperate and tropical regions, having a long, slender, downward-
curving bill.
2.The wood ibis.

Rats, the 'i with a straight line over the top' must not be an ascii
character ... pronunciation guide indicates "pie, by" for the first
vowel of ibis.

American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed.

English spelling, bleugh ! Even Chinese makes more sense :-)

--
härad ængravvåd

Greg Douglas

Dec 19, 2001, 11:59:29 PM12/19/01

Michiel Kreutzer wrote:

> Same goes here in the Netherlands for Dutch, where 'i' is [ee] as in
> eh.. "beer"....

So... in the Netherlands you pronounce it "Eereex" ?
That sounds a little awkward.

--
gd.

Rob Warnock

Dec 20, 2001, 5:02:33 AM12/20/01
Walter Roberson <robe...@ibd.nrc.ca> wrote:
+---------------

| It is certainly true that IRIX is morphologically similar to IRIS,
| but IRIS is morphologically similar to IBIS which is ib-is
| not eye-biss. The lesson of which is that English is inconsistant. ;-)
+---------------

Hint#1: What were the very early models of SGI systems called?

Hint#2: Not "IBIS".

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, 30-3-510 <rp...@sgi.com>
SGI Network Engineering <http://www.meer.net/~rpw3/>
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy. Phone: 650-933-1673
Mountain View, CA 94043 PP-ASEL-IA

[Note: aaan...@sgi.com and zedw...@sgi.com aren't for humans ]

Emmanuel Florac

Dec 20, 2001, 5:40:34 AM12/20/01
Dans l'article <3C217031...@reputable.com>, gdou...@reputable.com
a dit...

I think he neglicted the long ee/short i issue. They probably say irix
witth two i like in...er... big Bill.

Emmanuel Florac

Dec 20, 2001, 5:43:04 AM12/20/01
Dans l'article <c1.2b8.2dyb1t$1...@hamei.pacbell.net>, ha...@pacbell.net a
dit...

> American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed.
>
> English spelling, bleugh ! Even Chinese makes more sense :-)

That's well known that children in Italy learn reading and writing the
most easily in Europe : all vowels pronouce in only one way, and all
letters in a word are pronounced too. At the opposite side are, guess
who? English children...

Alberto Baudacci

Dec 20, 2001, 6:29:38 AM12/20/01

"Emmanuel Florac" <efl...@imaginet.fr> ha scritto nel messaggio

It's true... I guess that if every language was as simple as italian to read
and pronounce, it'd be much easier to learn.
OTOH our grammar is much harder than the english one, with a LOT of
irregular verbs and exceptions (pretty similar to french grammar, n'est-ce
pas Emmanuel? ;-))

Anyway, here in Italy, I've always heard talking about "eye-ricks" and not
"ee-ricks"...
and we also say "My-crosoft" and not "Mee-crosoft" ...
which in fact is pretty weird for us italians... hmmm... I guess US
globalization already reached us... hehehehe!!!

But I think french people are doing it even better: they say "Eye-ricks" and
"Mee-crosoft"...
(Alors Emmanuel, quelle règle suivez-vous? Il faudrait prendre une decision
:)))

Cheers

Alberto Baudacci

Emmanuel Florac

Dec 20, 2001, 7:43:33 AM12/20/01
Dans l'article <9vsh0m$be2$1...@fe1.cs.interbusiness.it>,
alb...@graphitenetwork.com a dit...

> But I think french people are doing it even better: they say "Eye-ricks" and
> "Mee-crosoft"...
> (Alors Emmanuel, quelle règle suivez-vous?

Mostly irix and microsoft, both with i like Bill...

Ian Mapleson

Dec 20, 2001, 8:48:55 AM12/20/01
Rob Warnock wrote:
> Hint#1: What were the very early models of SGI systems called?
>
> Hint#2: Not "IBIS".

Heh, yeah, that was kinda my point, ie. context.

Thanks Rob!

Ian.

Colin Anderson

Dec 20, 2001, 10:01:53 AM12/20/01
Be historical, "IRIS OS" or "4D1".

Course, you'll get some funny looks if you start talking about "4D1-6.5.14".

- Colin

Gerhard Lenerz

Dec 20, 2001, 10:25:18 AM12/20/01
On 20 Dec 2001 07:01:53 -0800, Colin Anderson wrote:

> Be historical, "IRIS OS" or "4D1".

Now that you mention it. What is/was the meaning of 4D1?

Gerhard
--
http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de
Latest additions: [12/01] added benchmark page (compile times, STREAM

Alex

Dec 20, 2001, 11:23:18 AM12/20/01

"Emmanuel Florac" <efl...@imaginet.fr> wrote in message

> Dans l'article <9vsh0m$be2$1...@fe1.cs.interbusiness.it>,
> alb...@graphitenetwork.com a dit...
> >
> > But I think french people are doing it even better: they say "Eye-ricks"
and
> > "Mee-crosoft"...
> > (Alors Emmanuel, quelle règle suivez-vous?
> >

> Mostly irix and microsoft, both with

> i like Bill...

arf.

Alex

Alex

Dec 20, 2001, 11:31:46 AM12/20/01

"Alberto Baudacci" <alb...@graphitenetwork.com> wrote in message

> It's true... I guess that if every language was as simple as italian to
read
> and pronounce, it'd be much easier to learn.
> OTOH our grammar is much harder than the english one, with a LOT of
> irregular verbs and exceptions (pretty similar to french grammar, n'est-ce
> pas Emmanuel? ;-))

Not so easy... You also have to learn to speak with your hands ;-) But yeah,
pronounciation is easy to grasp.

> Anyway, here in Italy, I've always heard talking about "eye-ricks" and not
> "ee-ricks"...
> and we also say "My-crosoft" and not "Mee-crosoft" ...
> which in fact is pretty weird for us italians... hmmm... I guess US
> globalization already reached us... hehehehe!!!
>
> But I think french people are doing it even better: they say "Eye-ricks"
and
> "Mee-crosoft"...

Honestly, among people who know their stuff, I most often hear Irix as in
bill. But there are people who think they look clever pronouncing everything
the english way or a way they think english rather than french : enntee, my
crosoft, lyneuxe, cidirom, and so on. Good point is it tells you who you are
speaking to in a few words ;)

Alex - not so kidding.

Emmanuel Florac

Dec 20, 2001, 12:06:52 PM12/20/01
Dans l'article <3c221273$0$207$626a...@news.free.fr>,
d_ke...@hotmail.com a dit...

> lyneuxe, cidirom, and so on. Good point is it tells you who you are
> speaking to in a few words ;)

BTW, correct pronounciation is li-nux in all languages. Ask Li-nus!

Randolph J. Herber

Dec 20, 2001, 1:43:03 PM12/20/01
The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
|Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:06:52 +0100
|From: Emmanuel Florac <efl...@imaginet.fr>
|Subject: Re: How to pronounce "IRIX"?
|To: info-ir...@ARL.ARMY.MIL

|Dans l'article <3c221273$0$207$626a...@news.free.fr>,
|d_ke...@hotmail.com a dit...
|> lyneuxe, cidirom, and so on. Good point is it tells you who you are
|> speaking to in a few words ;)

|BTW, correct pronounciation is li-nux in all languages. Ask Li-nus!

|Emmanuel Florac | Kreode technologies

I have. He said that he did not care. That was about a year ago here
at Fermilab.

Randolph J. Herber, her...@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.) (Product,
trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)

ha...@pacbell.net

Dec 20, 2001, 5:54:35 PM12/20/01
In <MPG.168bdf1e3...@news.free.fr>, Emmanuel Florac <efl...@imaginet.fr> writes:
>Dans l'article <c1.2b8.2dyb1t$1...@hamei.pacbell.net>, ha...@pacbell.net a
>dit...
>>
>> American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed.
>>
>> English spelling, bleugh ! Even Chinese makes more sense :-)
>>

>That's well known that children in Italy learn reading and writing the
>most easily in Europe : all vowels pronouce in only one way, and all
>letters in a word are pronounced too. At the opposite side are, guess
>who? English children...

Actually, it's not entirely fair to criticize English too harshly ...
until about 1600 english was spoken (except that there wasn't much
standardization in spelling then) the way it is still written. Hard k and
aspirated gh in 'knight', vowels predictable, silent e's not silent &c &c.
Spoken English went through a "vowel shift" but written English did
not. If we went back to speaking Middle English our spelling would
make a lot more sense. Pity the poor Chinese children, though !

--
härad ængravvåd

Greg Douglas

Dec 21, 2001, 12:35:37 AM12/21/01

Emmanuel Florac wrote:

> > So... in the Netherlands you pronounce it "Eereex" ?
> > That sounds a little awkward.
> >

> I think he neglicted the long ee/short i issue. They probably say irix
> witth two i like in...er... big Bill.

LOL.
Do you think you POSSIBLY could have come up with a worse example? :)

Emmanuel Florac

Dec 21, 2001, 5:36:31 AM12/21/01
Dans l'article <3C22CA29...@reputable.com>, gdou...@reputable.com
a dit...

> > I think he neglicted the long ee/short i issue. They probably say irix
> > witth two i like in...er... big Bill.
>
> LOL.
> Do you think you POSSIBLY could have come up with a worse example? :)

Of course I couldn't. I very thoroughly searched for the WORST possible
example.

Emmanuel Florac

Dec 21, 2001, 5:37:41 AM12/21/01
Dans l'article <Gonnz...@arl.army.mil>, her...@dcdrjh.fnal.gov a
dit...

> I have. He said that he did not care. That was about a year ago here
> at Fermilab.

Of course, I'm pretty sure he's better than that.

Luke A. Guest

Dec 26, 2001, 8:13:54 AM12/26/01
Andrew McLaren wrote:

"irricks" the first 'i' as in the word "it."

Dennis Glover

Jan 1, 2002, 2:00:07 PM1/1/02
Opinion only, for the most part.

In English, the "rules" of phonics require the pronunciation
"eye-ricks". Okay, maybe you don't care about English rules.
Sometimes I concur.

Now, historically, IRIX derives from the first Silicon Graphics
products, which contained their graphics engine, and which
were called IRIS machines, for Integrated Raster Imaging
System. "IRIX" is simply a portmanteau word combining
IRIS and UNIX. So, obviously, there is a basis in history
for pronouncing the "word" as "ih-ricks", from the short "i"
in "Integrated".

(On the other hand, since "UNIX" is pronounced with the
long "u", it might make sense to some to transfer the long
attribute of the first vowel of the one to the other. This, as
other matters of theology, politics, and philosophy, would
be a personal choice.)

Practically, it makes no difference, as both pronunciations
require two syllables, and the time required to pronounce
one as opposed to the other is probably on the order of
microseconds. Humans typically would not be able to
differentiate so as reasonably to demand, "Quit wasting
my time pronouncing it your way!"

It comes down to this: when pronouncing any element of a
language, it should only be required of one that her/his
communication is understood by the audience. And remember
how unfortunate English is in the department of pronunciation
rules. For example, observe that "ghoti" can be pronounced
"fish". Work that one out for yourselves if you've read this far
into my New Year's Day screed to the group.

Dennis

Emmanuel Florac

Jan 2, 2002, 1:59:11 PM1/2/02
Dans l'article <UAnY7.126977$BX4.8...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>,
dglo...@bellsouth.net a dit...

> For example, observe that "ghoti" can be pronounced
> "fish".

No, really, I can't get this one. Ghoti can certainly be said GOTI, GOT',
'OTI, 'OT, even [j]OTI (with a palatal r, like a german ch) I can even
think about something like 'oSSI but no "fish".

ha...@pacbell.net

Jan 2, 2002, 2:19:21 PM1/2/02
In <MPG.169d76eaf...@news.free.fr>, Emmanuel Florac <efl...@imaginet.fr> writes:
>Dans l'article <UAnY7.126977$BX4.8...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>,
>dglo...@bellsouth.net a dit...
>> For example, observe that "ghoti" can be pronounced
>> "fish".
>>

>No, really, I can't get this one. Ghoti can certainly be said GOTI, GOT',
>'OTI, 'OT, even [j]OTI (with a palatal r, like a german ch) I can even
>think about something like 'oSSI but no "fish".

'gh' as in trough, 'o' as in women, ti as in allegation. It's
cute, but dumb.

--
härad ængravvåd

Gerhard Lenerz

Jan 2, 2002, 2:45:03 PM1/2/02
On Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:19:21 GMT, ha...@pacbell.net wrote:
> 'gh' as in trough, 'o' as in women, ti as in allegation. It's
> cute, but dumb.

Quite dumb, but it's nice to show how difficult it can be to
teach something dumb as a computer how to pronounce something.

Gerhard
--
http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de
Latest additions: [12/28] pictures, benchmarks, minor changes

Randolph J. Herber

Jan 2, 2002, 6:59:25 PM1/2/02

http://www.google.com ==> http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/ling006.html