Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Marcus Herbert

ungelesen,
06.11.2001, 03:20:3606.11.01
an
Hi,

is there any difference in the GIO32 bus of indigo and indy? Can i put cards
from an indy into an indigo? Haven't found any closer informations yet.

--
PGP2 Key-ID: 666/36540865 1997/06/09 <rho...@spam-filter.de>
GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30 <rho...@spam-filter.de>

Stefan Eilemann

ungelesen,
06.11.2001, 03:33:4906.11.01
an
On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:20:36AM +0000, Marcus Herbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any difference in the GIO32 bus of indigo and indy? Can i put cards
> from an indy into an indigo? Haven't found any closer informations yet.

There are small differences, but most of the cards work in both
machines. Do you have a specific card in mind?

Stefan

Marcus Herbert

ungelesen,
06.11.2001, 11:09:4606.11.01
an
Stefan Eilemann <ei...@sgi.com> wrote:
>> is there any difference in the GIO32 bus of indigo and indy? Can i put cards
>> from an indy into an indigo? Haven't found any closer informations yet.
> There are small differences, but most of the cards work in both
> machines. Do you have a specific card in mind?

Actually not.. it is just that i want to make that indigo* on my desk as
powerfull as possible (see the CPU upgrade article in this group too).
Some video card would be nice (i have seen an offer for $150 for an indigo
video option). Now if i could get an indy video option, maybe bundled with
a cosmo compress, does it work in an indigo too?

I don't know about much other GIO cards than video options and ethernet cards.
Ah yes.. and SCSI cards for the indy. What else cards are available?

*i downgraded from indigo2 max impact, video option, R10k to indigo %-) - i really
did! the indigo2 was much too noisy and produced much too much head for my taste

Michiel Roos

ungelesen,
06.11.2001, 12:53:1706.11.01
an
> >> is there any difference in the GIO32 bus of indigo and indy? Can i put cards
> >> from an indy into an indigo? Haven't found any closer informations yet.
> > There are small differences, but most of the cards work in both
> > machines.

There is some text about the differences in the GIO bus specifications:
ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/doc/indy/

regards,
Michiel

Rob Warnock

ungelesen,
06.11.2001, 23:13:0006.11.01
an
Michiel Roos <roo...@dds.nl> wrote:
+---------------

| > > There are small differences, but most of the cards work in both
| > > machines.
|
| There is some text about the differences in the GIO bus specifications:
| ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/doc/indy/
+---------------

The real question is whether the OP has an original R3000 Indigo or
the slightly later R4000 Indigo -- the GIO32 busses of the two are
*different*! Slightly, to be sure, but critically, in the timing of the
"MASDLY" and "SLVDLY" signals. The R3000 Indigo uses the original GIO32
bus timing; the R4000 Indigo uses the GIO32-bis bus timing, as does Indy.
The spec <URL:ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/doc/indy/gio64.ps> that
Michiel Roos mentioned clearly delineates these differences:

Chapter Two: GIO32 Specification
Chapter Three: GIO32-bis Specification
[*]==> 3.2 Pin for Differentiating GIO32 from GIO32-bis
Chapter Four: GIO64 Specification

The pin[*] mentioned is a "ground" pin (GND#59) in GIO32, but is
pulled up to a logic "high" in GIO32-bis. It tells a GIO board
which kind of bus it's plugged into. Most GIO32 cards manufactured
during the life of the R3000 Indigo, R4000 Indigo, and Indy did
respect that pin, and their on-board logic was designed to work
any of the three machines (e.g., the "XPI" FDDI board, for example).

However, it is possible that a few GIO32 boards manufactured very early
did not look at that pin and contain timing logic appropriate only
to GIO32, and thus will run *only* in an R3000 Indigo. Likewise, it
is possible that a few GIO boards manufactured very late in the life
of the Indigo line (after the R3000 Indigo was no longer sold) were
designed for GIO32-bis only. I'm not saying that either happened, only
that it's possible...

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, 30-3-510 <rp...@sgi.com>
SGI Network Engineering <http://www.meer.net/~rpw3/>
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy. Phone: 650-933-1673
Mountain View, CA 94043 PP-ASEL-IA

[Note: aaan...@sgi.com and zedw...@sgi.com aren't for humans ]

Marcus Herbert

ungelesen,
07.11.2001, 09:30:3207.11.01
an
Rob Warnock <rp...@rigden.engr.sgi.com> wrote:
> The real question is whether the OP has an original R3000 Indigo or
> the slightly later R4000 Indigo -- the GIO32 busses of the two are
> *different*!

The "OP" was talking about R4000 :)

> The spec <URL:ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/doc/indy/gio64.ps> that
> Michiel Roos mentioned clearly delineates these differences:
> Chapter Two: GIO32 Specification
> Chapter Three: GIO32-bis Specification
> [*]==> 3.2 Pin for Differentiating GIO32 from GIO32-bis
> Chapter Four: GIO64 Specification

Yepp.. read that gio64.ps documentation. Thanks again for the URL.

0 neue Nachrichten