Challenge DM upgrade questions

Jeroen Resoort

Aug 26, 2004, 3:29:51 AM8/26/04
Hi there,

I recently acquired a Challenge DM machine. It has only 2x100MHz R4400
CPUs and a 64MB ram so I would like to upgrade it a bit. I've searched
the internet and old news posts ant I have come to the following
assumptions:

- Challenge DM only supports 1 CPU board

- Challenge DM does support more than one MC3 and IO4 boards

- I can put in an R10000 board in any Challenge DM without a problem

- I can put in 256MB (4 x 64MB) memory kits in any MC3 in a Challenge DM
without a problem

Are there points correct?

Another question, is it possible to swap the 2x1MB cache on my 2x100MHz
R4400 with 2x4MB cache?

Thanks,
Jeroen

Dennis Grevenstein

Aug 26, 2004, 7:27:34 AM8/26/04
Jeroen Resoort <nospam_jeroen@nospam_resoort.net> wrote:

> - Challenge DM only supports 1 CPU board

> Are there points correct?

You should be able to convert your DM into an ordinary
Challenge by swapping the system controller or most likely
just the eeprom on the system controller.
My Onyx Reality Station is now just a normal Onyx with
four CPUs.

mfg
Dennis

--
I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase

Jeroen Resoort

Aug 26, 2004, 7:49:31 AM8/26/04
Dennis Grevenstein wrote:
> Jeroen Resoort <nospam_jeroen@nospam_resoort.net> wrote:
>

>>- Challenge DM only supports 1 CPU board
>

>>Are there points correct?
>

> You should be able to convert your DM into an ordinary
> Challenge by swapping the system controller or most likely
> just the eeprom on the system controller.
> My Onyx Reality Station is now just a normal Onyx with
> four CPUs.
>
> mfg
> Dennis

That sounds interesting. Do you know a way to reprogram the eeprom
that's in my challenge DM? Or do you have spare one, perhaps :-)

thanks,
Jeroen

Jeroen Resoort

Aug 26, 2004, 7:51:41 AM8/26/04
Jeroen Resoort wrote:

Anyway, I thought the backplane of a Challenge L was also different.

Dennis Grevenstein

Aug 26, 2004, 8:20:16 AM8/26/04
Jeroen Resoort <nospam_jeroen@nospam_resoort.net> wrote:

> > That sounds interesting. Do you know a way to reprogram the eeprom
> > that's in my challenge DM? Or do you have spare one, perhaps :-)

No, sorry.

> Anyway, I thought the backplane of a Challenge L was also different.

Really? I'm not sure, but if it is, then of course changing
the system controller won't help you.