Changed video resolution...screen now black

Dingus Family

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Do this:

1. Start the machine. Interrupt the boot sequence when you get the
chance. If you are not sure about this just keep pressing the esc key.
Eventually you will get to a menu.

2. Choose the command monitor option.

3. Enter the command "boot single" or perhaps just 'single' I am
typing from memory so use common sense here.

4. It might ask for your root password, give it.

5. Eventually you should reach a grey screen with just a login prompt.

6. Login as root and issue the command "/usr/gfx/setmon 1280"

7. Issue the command "init 6"

This should restart your machine in the default 1280 graphics mode. If
you can telnet to the machine, then you can just login as root and do the
last two steps above.

Good Luck,

Doug Dingus
Applications Engineer / Trainer
Acuity Inc.
Portland, Oregon

borji...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I was dinkin around with my indy and decided (for some stupid reason)
> to try a lower resolution (700x something) anyway I now have a blank
> screen when the gui starts everytime.
>
> I can hold down alt at startup and get into the menu with
> 6 options (start system, command monitor etc...)
>
> So how do I tell it to use 1280x1024 so my video works again?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

borji...@my-deja.com

Nov 11, 2000, 1:49:49 AM11/11/00
Hey thanks for the quick response Doug.
(I live in Portland Oregon Too! heh heh)

What ended up working was /usr/gfx/setmon 1280x1024_72

Thanks very much!!

Dingus Family

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00
Cool,

I have given that tip many times. Should be in a FAQ somewhere I
guess. Portland is a nice place. Take it easy.

Doug