Post install of Irix 6.3 on o2

1 view

darren janisse

Apr 28, 2001, 10:47:39 PM4/28/01

Hello All,

Wondering if someone could offer assistance. I recently purchased an R5000
180Mhz o2 box with Irix 6.3 media. Anyhow, the previous owner complained
that "after configuring the network, things become corrupt on the system".
After performing a clean install of the system, I see what he means.

After installing, you boot into 4dwm just fine, and everything works
perfectly, UNTIL you configure tcp/ip settings. After which (restart),
items on the desktop have really wierd names (in the form of strange
characters), and it seems all items from the Applications, Control Panels,
etc folders disappear.

Trying to send any item on the desktop to the dumpster simply results in
"File not found /Desktop/thefilename". Although, the file is there and can
be deleted by command line.

Any ideas? I'm completely stumped.

Cheers,
Darren

Emmanuel Florac

May 1, 2001, 7:59:21 AM5/1/01
Dans l'article <fhLG6.5573$Uu6.5...@monger.newsread.com>,
djan...@northrock.bm a dit...

This is indeed very weird. What is the detailed version of IRIX ? give us
both the label from CD ( like "IRIX 6.3 for all O2 including R10000") and
uname -aR command. Also dont forget IRIX versions prior to 6.5 aren't
intended to be run without patches... I always installed at least a few
patches on IRIX 6.3 ( a CD came with all versions I saw). You can freely
download patches from SGI website.
If your IRIX CD is labeled 'IRIX 6.3' it's an old and unusable quasi-demo
version that isn't supported and was replaced with "IRIX 6.3 for all O2
inc. R10k" very quickly. Luckily, I guess an automatic replacement would
be available to you from your SGI office/reseller.

Emmanuel Florac | Kreode technologies