minimal installation?

Ash

Feb 23, 2002, 12:17:34 PM2/23/02
Hey,
I've only installed irix 6.5 once on my Indy, now a friend with an Indy
wants me to install it on his as well,
thing is - my install used 1.5gig, and he's got only 1gig drive.
Is there a 'minimum install' you can select in the setup - that will use
less than 1 gig?
Thanks

//Ash

Ralf Beyer

Feb 23, 2002, 1:16:50 PM2/23/02
Ash schrieb:

See manpage inst(1M). With an empty system disk run

Inst> keep *
Inst> install required

That's sufficient and includes all of the subsystems
that are required for proper operation of the workstation.

Check if your workstation is running and how much space
remains. If space permits install further products or
overlays as needed.

Depending on your needs you can reduce the IRIX 6.5 space
requirement down to about 500 MB by proper product selection
during an install. However, I wouldn't call such a machine
a 'work' station anymore.

Regards
Ralf Beyer
--
beyer.bra...@freenet.de

Ivan Rayner

Feb 23, 2002, 7:05:01 PM2/23/02

Around here, we use this little formula to get a minimal usable
installation:

k *
i required
i default eoe 4Dwm desktop_base x_eoe desktop_eoe netscape sysadmdesktop nfs
i dmedia_eoe.sw.audio
i io4prom.sw.prom ip32prom.sw.prom
k *.books *.man *.relnotes
i prereqs