remote desktop in xterminal

ksmx

Dec 6, 2001, 10:04:36 AM12/6/01
Hello everybody,

Does someone have an idea how to make a desktop from IRIX 6.5.9 visible on
the remote X-terminal? All I am able to see is a toolchest and program
windows. All icons and desktop, wallpaper etc. are not visible. Maybe this
is because of wrong X-term program. I tried all versions of StartNet Xwin32
and Hummingbird Exeed.
Thank you for eventual help,

Kosma Szutkowski
Poznan, Poland

Peter Brimacombe

Dec 6, 2001, 9:04:17 PM12/6/01
"ksmx" <ko...@plusnet.pl> wrote in message news:<9uo1e0$7c7$1...@sunflower.man.poznan.pl>...

> Does someone have an idea how to make a desktop from IRIX 6.5.9 visible on
> the remote X-terminal? All I am able to see is a toolchest and program
> windows.

I got the same thing. I thought of something else but never got
around to it: start up the Font Server on Irix (xfs) and then set the
fonts on the X-terminal to point to the Irix (tcp/Irix:7100).

Nigel Wade

Dec 7, 2001, 5:13:03 AM12/7/01
ksmx wrote:

Modify /usr/lib/X11/xdm-config to get xdm to run Xsession rather than
Xsession-remote. Xsession should run Xsession.dt if the desktop is enabled
for the user logging in.

After changing xdm-config don't forget to 'kill -HUP' the xdm server.

E-mail : n...@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523568, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Doug Dingus

Dec 8, 2001, 12:26:27 AM12/8/01

Another alternative if you don't want to tweak your machine:

Use your X server in XDMCP mode. (This lets the window manager work on
your local display)

In the shell, run 'fm -b &'. (This will bring up a solid color desktop
with icons and such.)

There most likely is a command for the actual background wallpaper in
the config files mentiond earlier.

--
Doug Dingus
Applications Engineer / Trainer

Alexis Cousein

Dec 11, 2001, 5:51:29 AM12/11/01
to ksmx
ksmx wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Does someone have an idea how to make a desktop from IRIX 6.5.9 visible on
> the remote X-terminal? All I am able to see is a toolchest and program
> windows. All icons and desktop, wallpaper etc. are not visible. Maybe this
> is because of wrong X-term program.

See differences between /var/X11/xdm/Xsession.dt and Xsession.remote.

--
<these messages express my own views, not those of my employer>
Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer