setting up USR Sportster 28.8 modem on IRIX 5.2, please HELP!!

Thang Nguyen

Mar 23, 1995, 12:14:15 PM3/23/95
I have been trying to set up the new US Robotics Sportster 28.8
modem to serial port 2 on my Indy workstation running IRIX 5.2.
I was able to do a cu -l /dev/ttyf2 to connect to the port,
and issue AT commands like AT &F&H1S0=1 and get OK response
back from the modem. After I spawn the uugetty process on the port,
the lights AA(Auto Answer), TR and CS come on but my modem
still does not answer the incoming calls. I have tried the steps on how
to configure a modem on Unix machine from US Robotics support, but
nothing seems to work.

I noted that the modem/port seems to hang when I issued the command
AT &R2 (to enable RTS signal). Is there a hardware flow control bug
with IRIX 5.2? What patch should I get to fix this bug?

Previously, I succeeded in configuring the USR Sportster 14.4 modem
to work using software flow control XON/XOFF. I tried to use software
flow control with my 28.8 modem, but could not get it to work. Does
this mean that my workstation DTE speed can only support up to
14400 bps?

I would appreciate very much for any hints and tips. Please post the
answer to this news group or mail to me at tnng...@on.bell.ca.
Thanks in advance for your help.