NEXT

Mr G A Tunnicliff

Feb 25, 1995, 4:19:16 PM2/25/95
I looked at NEXTSTEP when It went to whitebox but it was rather expensive
compared to NT since that time I have heard that it has amalgamated with
Sun to make OPENSTEP. How much is NextStep? can anyone tell me if it's
still as expensive and what Hardware it runs on?

Charles Brandon

Feb 26, 1995, 10:40:44 PM2/26/95
In article <D4Kr8...@cix.compulink.co.uk>, wol...@cix.compulink.co.uk

I would appreciate the same info.

Charles Brandon Phone (415) 328-5325
Menlo Park, CA 94025 Fax (415) 325-2452
cbra...@netcom.com
Compuserve 70515,270

Steve Kanefsky

Feb 27, 1995, 11:30:06 AM2/27/95
In article <D4Kr8...@cix.compulink.co.uk>,

I'll include the most recent pricing announcement. The short story is
that the end-user version is $799, the developers version is $2999 now
and will be $4999 as of April 1, and the academic developers version is
$299.

From: product_...@NeXT.COM (NeXT Announce)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next.announce
Subject: NeXT Pricing Announcement
Date: 20 Feb 1995 15:39:50 -0500

NEXTSTEP User Release 3.3 for SPARC and PA-RISC workstations and
NEXTSTEP Developer Release 3.3 for all NEXTSTEP platforms is on
schedule to ship the week of March 20, 1995

* NEXTSTEP User Release 3.3 in English, French or German for PA-RISC
or SPARC workstations, and Intel Processors is priced at $799 US,
$819 Europe.

* Release 3.3 User upgrades for PA-RISC Workstations, Intel
Processors, and NeXT Computers are $199 US, $219 Europe.

* Academic Bundles of NEXTSTEP Rel 3.3 User and NEXTSTEP Rel 3.3
Developer are available on all NEXTSTEP platforms for $299 US, $319
Europe. These products are for educational institutions and
individual faculty, staff, and students for education and research
only. Academic customers who have Rel 3.3 User and Rel 3.2 Developer
may purchase an Academic Rel 3.3 Developer upgrade for $99 US or
$119 Europe with proper license verification.

* Effective April 1st, 1995, the price of NEXTSTEP Release 3.3
Developer will increase to $4999 US, $5019 Europe. The price of
NEXTSTEP Rel 3.3 Developer upgrades will increase to $1249 US,
$1269 Europe.

*** SPECIAL OFFERS ***

Now through March 31, US customers who purchase NEXTSTEP Developer
Release 3.2 direct from NeXT for the price of $2999 will receive
a free upgrade to NEXTSTEP Developer Release 3.3. In addition,
send in the Release 3.3 Developer registration card by June 30,
1995 and receive a free development copy of Enterprise Objects
Framework Release 1.1. This represents a net savings of $2000 plus
a free copy of EOF Release 1.1.

Now through March 31, the price of NEXTSTEP Developer Release 3.3
upgrades are $749 US, $789 Europe. Send in the Release 3.3 Developer
registration card by June 30, 1995 and receive a free development
copy of Enterprise Objects Framework Release 1.1. This represents
a net savings of $500 plus a free copy of EOF 1.1.

Shipments of FREE Release 3.3 devloper upgrades and FREE EOF Rel
1.1 will commence April 1.

To order in the United States, call NeXT Telesales: (800) 848-6398
or (415) 424-8500. Or fax your order to (800) 228-6398 or (415)
780-3977. Shipping and tax is additional.

To order in the Europe, call NeXT Telesales in The Netherlands:
31-2503-27060. Or fax your order to 31-2503-29987. Mail your order
to: NeXT Computer Logistics BV, P.O. Box 712, 2130 AS Hoofddorp,
The Netherlands.

Alan Dail

Feb 27, 1995, 11:28:08 PM2/27/95

:
:I'll include the most recent pricing announcement. The short story is
:that the end-user version is $799, the developers version is $2999 now
:and will be $4999 as of April 1, and the academic developers version is
:$299.

:

THis is bizzare. I once bought a NeXT Cube for $2500 and now the software
is twice that.

Alan

--
+Alan Dail - Developer--+--/-\--+-"The journey is the reward" - S.Jobs--+
|804/867-7202 | \_/ | "The best way to predict the future |

Andrew Abernathy

Feb 28, 1995, 1:33:50 PM2/28/95
In article <netnewsD...@netcom.com> cbra...@netcom.com (Charles
Brandon) writes:
> In article <D4Kr8...@cix.compulink.co.uk>, wol...@cix.compulink.co.uk
> ("Mr G A Tunnicliff") wrote:
>
> > I looked at NEXTSTEP when It went to whitebox but it was rather
expensive

> >compared to NT since that time I have heard that it has amalgamated
with
> >Sun to make OPENSTEP. How much is NextStep? can anyone tell me if it's
> >still as expensive and what Hardware it runs on?
>
> I would appreciate the same info.

This isn't the right newsgroup for this - you should try
comp.sys.next.misc - follow-ups pointed to there.

Having said that, NEXTSTEP is still quite expensive - I point most
people to Macs, though I use a NeXT myself. If you're a student,
it's $300, including developer tools. The OS lists for $800, and the
dev tools list for $3000 (jumps to $5000 on April 1 - no joke).
A special package (1 per customer) is available for $1000; the package
contains both the OS and the dev tools.

--
andrew.a...@mccaw.com (Seattle area)
12206 131st Place NE, #E-75 Kirkland, WA 98034

Mel Martinez

Mar 1, 1995, 3:59:43 PM3/1/95

] (Steve Kanefsky) wrote:
]
] :In article <D4Kr8...@cix.compulink.co.uk>,
] :Mr G A Tunnicliff <wol...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote:
] :>I looked at NEXTSTEP when It went to whitebox but it was rather expensive
] :>compared to NT since that time I have heard that it has amalgamated with
] :>Sun to make OPENSTEP. How much is NextStep? can anyone tell me if it's
] :>still as expensive and what Hardware it runs on?
] :
] :I'll include the most recent pricing announcement. The short story is
] :that the end-user version is $799, the developers version is $2999 now
] :and will be $4999 as of April 1, and the academic developers version is
] :$299.
] :
]
] THis is bizzare. I once bought a NeXT Cube for $2500 and now the software
] is twice that.
]
] Alan

]

Steven Jobs. Still making products for the 'rest of us'...

;-)

Cheers,
--
Mel Martinez
The Johns Hopkins University

David Matthews

Mar 1, 1995, 7:25:23 PM3/1/95

NEXTSTEP runs on NeXT black boxes (now obsolete), Intel 486 and Pentium
systems, HP Gecko (PA RISC), and Sun (I'm not sure which models). Ports
to PowerPC, Dec Alpha, etc. may be awhile off. The Price for NEXTSTEP 4.0
(the next version to come out) is expected to be significantly higher than
the current prices (which are $750 user, $2500 developer or something like
that). They are also going to release "openstep" which will provide the
Solarius, windows NT, etc. The Openstep API will provide o/s independent
services. Even the intel boxes require significant ram and resources (I
would suggest at least 16 MB, better 24 or 32 MB RAM, 500 MB hard disk for
development). You also need to make sure that NeXT has released drivers
for the sound, video, and other cards you have in your system --
especially if you are buying a machine to run NeXTSTEP. They have had
deals for students, for people who want to try NeXTSTEP, for people who go
to "NeXT Expo", etc. so you might find a way to get it cheaper -- also
check out comp.sys.next.marketplace for people selling old licenses.
You might try a machine built to run NeXTSTEP, like Cannon Object
Station. However, common clones will work if you configure them
correctly, and they are generally cheaper.
You could try calling NeXT in Redwood city california for the
latest price quotes, etc. or email them (in...@next.com ?)

--
Signing Off .... Dave

Email: matt...@woodstock.abbott.com
Universal Legal Disclaimer -- My posts are written in the following
language: "Dave Lang version 83838939" (syntax similar to English,
but semantics defined by me and subject to continual change at my whim).

Derrik Walker II

Mar 4, 1995, 9:33:43 AM3/4/95
Mel Martinez (m...@pha.jhu.edu) wrote:
: In article <adail-27029...@h-toad.infi.net>, ad...@infi.net (Alan
: Dail) wrote:
: ]
: ] THis is bizzare. I once bought a NeXT Cube for $2500 and now the software
: ] is twice that.

A NeXTcube for $2500.00? I thaught that those were real expensive?

: Steven Jobs. Still making products for the 'rest of us'...

Well, He's brillant and a great visionary with a lot of great ideas, but
obviously he still has a lot to learn about marketing.

I would have a NeXT (intel based) if I could aford the hardware, but to get
any kind of performance... my PowerMac 6100 was a lot cheaper and
probably still faster. Plus it has always been able to devide ;)

BTW: Why is this on the PowerPC news group?

--

-Derrik
--- For PGP Key: finger dewa...@grail.cba.csuohio.edu ---