What is HotSync operation 'install service template' ?

Fox J. Mulder

Dec 26, 2002, 5:56:52 AM12/26/02
My HotSync (version 4.0.1) that comes with Sony-supplied software has
the action 'install service templates'. What does it do?

Thanks

Jim Anderson

Dec 26, 2002, 9:11:53 AM12/26/02
Hi Fox J. Mulder, you typed...

> My HotSync (version 4.0.1) that comes with Sony-supplied software has
> the action 'install service templates'. What does it do?
>
> Thanks

It installs service templates.

--
Jim Anderson, Omphaloskepsis apprentice (@)
( 8(|) To e-mail me just pull 'my_finger'

Jim Anderson

Dec 26, 2002, 9:35:19 AM12/26/02
Hi Fox J. Mulder, you typed...

> My HotSync (version 4.0.1) that comes with Sony-supplied software has

> the action 'install service templates'. What does it do?
>
> Thanks

What is a service template?
In the Prefs app, select network from the pull-down menu. At the top of
the main screen there is a pull-down item pick list called services.
Apps like Palms MIK and AOL's AIM can stuff pre-canned service set-ups
into this list. You can hose-up, I mean set-up new services for things
like polling a UNIX mainframe.

Dan Norder

Dec 26, 2002, 10:52:00 AM12/26/02
>My HotSync (version 4.0.1) that comes with Sony-supplied
>software has the action 'install service templates'. What
>does it do?

If the HotSync Manager detects an update to your OS already in your Palm folder
it'll automatically install it. So say you sync a device running OS 3.5 on a
newer Palm Desktop. If you haven't already updated to 3.5.3 it does it
automatically for you. This only helps you if the bug fix was known at the time
that version of Palm Desktop was released, obviously, and only has to do it
once. So most of the time that conduit does absolutely nothing.

--
Dan Norder
"You can tell a fish head anything you want to