How to reset a Palm Treo 680 including its memory data?

Ant

Oct 5, 2007, 12:26:07 PM10/5/07
Hello!

Since it is broken, how can I reset everything back to defaults and
delete its memory datas? I need to send it to Palm to get it replaced. I
already did a Hotsynch on a computer. Obviously, I don't want Palm to
have the datas. I couldn't find it in the manual and there is no reset
hole like the old Palm Pilots.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"We're all ants. I'm a glittery little ant." --Alanis Morissette
/\___/\
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: phi...@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANT...@zimage.com

Shawn Hirn

Oct 6, 2007, 12:11:27 AM10/6/07
In article <4706659f$0$26375$4c36...@roadrunner.com>,
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Since it is broken, how can I reset everything back to defaults and
> delete its memory datas? I need to send it to Palm to get it replaced. I
> already did a Hotsynch on a computer. Obviously, I don't want Palm to
> have the datas. I couldn't find it in the manual and there is no reset
> hole like the old Palm Pilots.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I believe the instruction booklet has that information or just call Palm
tech support and they can tell you. You might also find the info on
Palm's web site.

Ant

Oct 6, 2007, 12:29:25 AM10/6/07
On 10/5/2007 9:11 PM PT, Shawn Hirn typed:

>> Hello!
>>
>> Since it is broken, how can I reset everything back to defaults and
>> delete its memory datas? I need to send it to Palm to get it replaced. I
>> already did a Hotsynch on a computer. Obviously, I don't want Palm to
>> have the datas. I couldn't find it in the manual and there is no reset
>> hole like the old Palm Pilots.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> I believe the instruction booklet has that information or just call Palm
> tech support and they can tell you. You might also find the info on
> Palm's web site.

Thanks.
http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=10,E=0000000000743819576,K=4959,Sxi=0,Case=Obj(15574)
... I hope this is enough for no one to recover/undelete datas.
--
"Ants never lend, ants never borrow." --unknown

Juergen Kuehne

Oct 6, 2007, 3:42:42 PM10/6/07
Ant schrieb:

PS. just at the top:
please, dont crosspost to 5 (five) newsgroups without selecting one
(only one) of them as "follow-up to". In this "follow-up to" all the
answers will be redirected. Same rely to your other post :-(

I will make a follow-up to for comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, cause IMHO there
is no objective reference to alt.comp.os.palm cause ".os." is meaning of
"operating system". Your problem is technical, I think ;-)

It is unfriendly and I for my part don't answer to those postings. Only
this one time, but only giving you hints for self-learning where to look.

>>> Since it is broken, how can I reset everything back to defaults and

look into the manual and look at booklet "read this _first_", page 5

>>> delete its memory datas? I need to send it to Palm to get it
>>> replaced. I already did a Hotsynch on a computer. Obviously, I don't
>>> want Palm to have the datas. I couldn't find it in the manual and

in which manual?

>>> there is no reset hole like the old Palm Pilots.

there is, you will have to read the manual on CD or...

In your Treo-package look into booklet "read this _first_", phps page 10
As for me there is a chapter "where's my manual?" Read it... ;-)

> Shawn Hirn typed:

>> I believe the instruction booklet has that information or just call
>> Palm tech support and they can tell you. You might also find the info
>> on Palm's web site.

why calling tech support, when we can find everything in the package?
In which times are we living, that (many) users are not able to read a
small booklet ("read this first") or Quick Reference Guide or unable to
insert a CD... ;-)

> http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=10,E=0000000000743819576,K=4959,Sxi=0,Case=Obj(15574)
> .... I hope this is enough for no one to recover/undelete datas.

Where did you get this URL?
Why don't you use
http://kb.palm.com (that's the knowledge base itself)
then select your unit (like described on that page)
and _then_ type in your request
i.e.
reset
or
hard reset

Latter keywords will bring you just to the information you will need.

No, I am no agent of Palm, only simple user.

Juergen

Richard Rosenberger at

Oct 15, 2007, 5:20:06 PM10/15/07
Easy:

The 680 does not have a reset button, so you need to use the battery
as reset button:

-Remove the battery,
-Insert the battery, and immediatly press and hold the power button.
-Wait till the first time-bar is fully loaded, and the palm logo
shows, if you can't see the screen because it is cracked, just hold
the power button for 1 minute.

-Release the power button,
-The screen says now: erase all data ? (Yes = up, No = other button)
-press the 5-way navigator to the UP position.
-Now th PDA is erasing user data. This will take about 10 seconds.

DONE..

Regards,

Richard, PDA Tech Center, Zaltbommel, the Netherlands.
(Yes, we do repair Palm, Mio, Asus, HP, TomTom etc.)