EPS learns humility (long)

Eric P. Scott

Jun 14, 1992, 6:19:48 AM6/14/92
Some people hate me because I'm so perfect. I know it all. My
code works the first time. I do everything right. I don't screw
up. And I usually keep my head on my shoulders when those around
me are losing theirs.

Well, I finally did it. I screwed up. (Which just goes to show
that even EPS isn't perfect.) And I screwed up bigtime. In
twelve years of driving UNIX boxes, I've never done anything like
this, and suddenly I'm staring at an oil slick the size of
Alaska, and an unknown number of dead fish--I don't know how
many, but I'm sure it's a lot. Last night I really wasn't in any
condition to do what I was doing, but I wasn't in any condition
to appreciate that I wasn't in any condition to do what I was
doing.

"A Tale of Two Computers"

In the beginning, there was sutro. Many of you may have heard of
sutro.sfsu.edu, since it's our official anonymous FTP site, one
of the secondary domain name servers for SFSU.EDU and FOGNET, and
generally a rather high-profile machine. It's also the center of
the very first bunch of NeXTs at SFSU, and has a certain
sentimental value to me, even though I now spend most of my time
on the other side of the campus.

Sutro was a NeXT cube with a 660MB internal drive and a 660MB
external drive, both Maxtor 8760Ses, both purchased from NeXT for
some outrageous amount of money. Of course, we believed that if
anything were to go wrong, NeXT would help us out. (Wrong!)

Anyway, one day in mid-May, something does go wrong. The
external hard drive--the one with all the users' files--is
flaking out. The problem seems to be with the Top Level Assembly
attached to that drive; the disk proper seems to be more or less
intact. But the kernel is complaining about SCSI errors, and
after too many retries, decides that it wants nothing more to do
with it. Calls to NeXT aren't terribly productive--I was hoping
we'd be able to borrow another one, do a block-to-block copy, and
then back up the data from there. We're basically told that
we're on our own, but if we can find another Maxtor 330 or 660,
the TLAs are supposedly interchangeable. We had no luck there.
The machine was still running, providing name service and routing
mail, but no one could log in. The end of the spring semester
well within sight, sympathetic instructors canceled final
[online] assignments.

The system manager eventually found someone locally who could
lend us a disk temporarily so we could attempt some sort of
recovery. Unfortunately, he forgot to reset the SCSI unit
number on the new drive--which was zero--as was the internal
drive--and the machine still booted. Then it was totally random
which device would actually service I/O requests. Realizing his
mistake, he tried to shut the system down, and did a halt WITH
sync. Oops. A whole bunch of inodes on the root partition got
smashed, and the system would no longer boot.

I brought over a 2.1 optical disk. sutro hadn't had the best
luck with optical drives; its had been replaced *twice*. But
it was working flawlessly now. Good thing, too.

While the root partition looked pretty much OK when mounted read-
only, running fsck proved to be its final undoing. fsck blew
away a bunch of things, like the network-wide NetInfo database--
which hadn't been backed up. [Ironically enough, there was a
passwd backup: two days before, I had asked one of the lab rats
to run sutro's passwd though a password cracker to see how many
stupidities he could find since we knew we'd be "hit" by
marauders over Memorial Day Weekend. (They did turn up, as
expected, but we got off easy compared to the same time last
year.) Some 55 users had easily-guessible passwords, including a
lot of people who "should have known better."]

So we went from having a "minor" problem with one disk to having
nothing left but a /clients partition. Since the e-mail spool
was on /clients, it was still intact. However, othing short of a
builddisk was going to get the system back up, and we still
needed to salvage what we could, since there were other things
that had not been backed up (sigh) that had been placed on the
root because there just happened to be space there.

After a few days, it was painfully clear that the failing Maxtor
was not going to be repaired anytime soon, and that the most
expedient way to get the machine back was to order a brand-new
external hard drive. Miraculously enough, that happened. Our
fiscal year runs from July 1-June 30, and all purchase
requisitions for the current FY needed to be submitted by May 29.
And then there was the problem of finding the funds to pay for
it. The California State University has a horrific budget crisis
thanks to the mushrooming state deficit; people are losing their
jobs left and right, and money that might normally be used for
equipment purchase wasn't expected to be there at all.

On Wednesday, I'm told that a new Fujitsu 2266S has arrived, and
would I please help set it up. No problem, but I had a dinner
engagement that evening, and promised to return the next day to
resurrect sutro. At this point, the machine had been down for
something like three weeks, and none of us wanted to know how low
our popularity ratings had fallen. Mind you, I'm no longer
officially responsible for sutro, but everyone knows I'm the one
to call when you're in deep doo-doo, so that was little
consolation.

Thursday evening, we go to work. One extra-large sausage-and-
black olive pizza and a half-dozen Cokes later, things are mostly
back to normal. /clients is now on the Fujitsu, the internal
drive has been low-level formatted and built as a single
partition. The latest NeXTanswers and Support Bulletin are
online. Users now have about 50% more space than they did
before. Only three users seem to have lost files. One mail
file vanished. It's starting to get light outside.

I'm too tired to find my way off-campus, and too wired on
caffeine to get any sleep, so I head for the Advanced Computing
Laboratory to catch up on comp.sys.next.*. By the time I get
home and lose consciousness, it's 9 a.m.

"There's such a thing as being TOO nice"

We have something of a convention of naming computers with the
same first letter as our last names, and picking appropriate
themes for related things. Mt. Sutro is [literally] one of the
high points in San Francisco, and at the time we got its
namesake, it was one of the high points as far as campus
computing was concerned. Its clients, printers, disks, etc. are
named after San Francisco landmarks. That gives it a certain
familiarity and--dare I say--comfort.

Last year, I got to name some more babies. Computer Science had
an Operating Systems Laboratory with 68010-based UNIX workstations
that were no longer supported by their vendor, and the time had
come to replace them. Their replacements would be 68040-based
NeXTs, and the new/relocated facility named the Advanced
Computing Laboratory (ACL). There wouldn't be as many NeXTs, but
they'd be far more capable machines. The old machines had been
named after cartoon characters--snoopy, minnie, batman. I
decided that the new machines would honor their predecessors, but
updated for the 90s. So I named most of them after the Simpsons.
Their server: springfield. springfield is a hot machine. It
_started_ with 32MB RAM. It took _years_ for sutro to get there.

There are other machines in the ACL besides NeXTs, but the NeXTs
are by far the most popular. So popular that some people never
seem to leave. In fact, 24-hour activity is not uncommon during
the week. (And given that we're largely a commuter campus, the
lab's two sofas, refrigerator, and microwave oven get good
workouts too.) About the only time machines can be shut down is
Friday evening. There's something about Friday evening. Drawn
by the scent of the weekend's freedom, off they go. Perhaps to
catch a first-run movie. Perhaps not. Whatever they do, come
Saturday, the guilt sets in, and they all come back to atone for
screwing off the night before. Of course, the dial-in crowd gets
a head start--they start burning up the wires between 1 and 2 in
the morning.

One of the "rewards" of the Advanced Computing Laboratory is
Computing Without Limits. Especially when it rebels against the
remnants of a bombastic computing center, whose multiprocessor
VAX serving most of the lower division students enforces strict
disk quotas and other passe' obstacles to productivity. This
policy inevitably means that disk storage becomes something of a
nonrenewable resource.

springfield is a slab with a 424MB internal drive, and a Fujitsu
2266S named DeepDeepTrouble. A small part of the latter is used
for a /clients partition and the remainder for users' files.
(Just as sutro is now.) We purchased a second Fujitsu with the
intent of turning it all over to users, and redesignating the
original partition for projects requiring "large" amounts of
storage--some individuals have justifiably needed 200MB, and
we're one of the few sites on campus that doesn't consider that
unreasonable for a student. Last week, the new disk was
initialized as DeeperTrouble, and the two drives housed in a
dual-bay enclosure. The plan was for this Friday's scheduled
system work to move all the users to the new disk. Those disk
names would turn out to be prophetic...

I requested downtime earlier than usual, since I knew it would
take a while. Normally I'm quite awake and alert at 6 p.m. on
Fridays, but this Friday was different. I'd returned to work
around 3 p.m., so I'd had far less sleep than I should. And
far less than I'd realized. It was only Friday the 12th, but
it might as well have been Friday the 13th.

I got a late start--other matters had kept me busy until nearly
7. Shutting down springfield's clients was easy. Three other
machines had springfield's users' partition automounted.
Normally, that wouldn't have been cause for concern, but I
figured that NeXT's software probably wasn't going to cope too
gracefully with stale NFS handles. I manually unmounted them.
2.x's autonfsmount is somewhat braindead about this manuever,
but trying to kill and restart autonfsmount is a lost cause;
it'll syslog "automount: Can't mount /Net: Bad address" and die.

"If UNIX gives you enough rope, dump is the gallows"

I *hate* dump. Dump is evil. Dump is Software from Hell.
Had I been rested, calm, collected, awake, alert, and altogether
rational, I would have avoided it like the plague. Instead, I
violated Rule 1: NEVER run dump as root.

Dump works by completely bypassing the kernel's UFS
(UNIX FileSystem) code and reading raw devices directly. This is
both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, it can deal
intelligently with sparse ("holey") files. On the other, it has
unlimited destructive potential. What TFM fails to stress is the
importance of running dump as a non-root user in group operator.
That gives it just enough access to do what it needs, but doesn't
let it unleash The Fearsome Power of root.

I screwed up.

I wanted to type

dump 0f - /dev/rsd1b

but my weary fingers hammered out something like

dump 0f /dev/rsd1b

This is bad. This is VERY bad. Backup software on "real"
operating systems, when asked to write on a disk or tape, looks
to see if there's a valid volume label there already. If it
finds one, it warns you, "hey--this looks like it has useful data
on it--are you SURE you want to overwrite it?" Dump doesn't.
Thank you, Berkeley. Of course, had I confined dump to group
operator, it wouldn't have scribbled garbage on top of the
filesystem I was trying to save! But I didn't, and it did. Had
I been using a respectable backup utility like tar or gnutar,
this couldn't have happened--they don't mess with disks
_directly_.

What's worse was that I was trying to pipe into restore.

I hit many ^Cs when I realized what I had done.

dump said
Interrupt received. Do you want to abort dump?
and restore said
restore interrupted, continue?

simultaneously--and I didn't know which program I was typing at.
Of course, I guessed wrong the first time, and dump kept on
writing. Mind you, Fujitsus are *fast*.

By the time I was back in control, I had something that was no
longer recognizable as a file system. fsck wouldn't touch it.
RTFM.

-b Use the block specified immediately after the flag as
the super block for the file system. Block 16 is
always an alternate super block.

Yeah, right. Only in your wildest dreams, baby.

Panic time. I messed up. I messed up *bad*. I don't know _how_
badly--were this System V I'd have fsdb to look around. But this
is BSD. You have to trust fsck. It's not like you have any
choice.

Time to play "find the superblock." It's not like I wrote down
the list from when the drive was initialized. It took a few
minutes to recall the incantation

newfs -N

The -N is vitally important--it tells newfs not to obliterate
everything. Now I could run fsck.

fsck wasn't all that happy with what I'd done. I couldn't use
fsck -n, since that would abort as soon as it spit out an
"EXCESSIVE BAD BLKS" and I didn't feel all that good about
fsck -y. After some 3000 y <RETURN>s I broke down and ran
fsck -y.

I had trashed approximately 20,000 inodes--roughly 11%.

fsck got all the way through Phase 1. Then it started Phase 1b.
It complained about some DUPs, and then died with

Floating exception

I was dumfounded. What the f--- is fsck doing with FLOATING
POINT???

Reality set in. fsck was, well, f*cked.

It was time for drastic measures.

"Cherish thy ancestors"

When I started working with UNIX, Version 7 was all the rage.
Tools back then were really primitive. If you had a bad file,
you blew it away with _clri_. Fortunately, BSD still remembered
its roots.

TFM:
N.B.: Clri is obsoleted for normal file system repair work
by fsck(8).

Well, this isn't normal file system repair work. This is
desperation. I started manually clearing inodes that Phase 1
complained about. I cleared all the bad ones, and most of
the DUPs. Finally, it no longer needed Phase 1b. clri was
clearly indispensable. I then had to answer a whole bunch of
RECONNECT? CLEAR? questions. I got through Phase 2. I got
through Phase 3. I got to Phase 4.

Floating exception

Son of a -----!

I don't know if that's Berkeley's fault, or NeXT's fault, but
I was livid. Time for violence.

I wrote a little program to spit out clri commands. It counted
from 101 to 20000, a hundred at a time. It took half an hour
to run the resulting shell script. I got tired of watching it.
In the next room, two students on the other ACL NeXT cluster
were blasting away at synthetic enemies with the volume set
LOUD. I wanted to kill something more substantial.

I ran fsck on the newly sanitized filesystem. This time it got
all the way through, all though it needed to expand lost+found
several times. I mounted it read-only. The original root
directory was long gone. Everything was in lost+found.

We normally have someone else doing backups, but he's away on
summer vacation, and somehow no one thought to assign his
duties to anyone else. It turned out that the last good
backup was taken on May 22. It was a tar tape, and except
for things like SimonSays whose longer-than-100-character file
names cause tar to barf, it was amazingly complete. All I
needed was the more recent files. As luck would have it,
everything important I'd done since then was still readable.
And the people that came in on Saturday were just as lucky.
Apparently, most of what was at the beginning of disk consisted
of older files, and certain packrats (i.e. myself) had kept
anyone else from claiming those blocks.

While I couldn't put everything back the way it was, I could
make things a little easier. From the lost+found directory, I
did

ls -ld */.NeXT

My goodness? NeXT did something *useful* for once. 82% of
users' home directories were there. I moved them to the root.
Then, I started looking for directories containing
.NeXTdefaults.D files. I made a new directory under the root
called HOMELESS and tried to make new directories for the users
whose .NeXT directories I'd found. The system panicked.

I rebooted the machine, and the automatic fsck cheerfully undid
my last attempt. I figured it was time to call it a day. I left
the filesystem mounted read-only, and replaced the loginwindow
image with one featuring a frowning Bart Simpson profile and the
words "See the whiteboard, man."

I left a barely legible note explaining what had happened, and
a message online for modem users.

Monday, I'll find out whether I've been selected to help reduce
the state's deficit.

-=EPS=-
--
"Sorry to hear that. Would you like a job at Sun?"

Jens von der Heide

Jun 15, 1992, 2:22:12 AM6/15/92
e...@futon.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>I screwed up.
>I wanted to type
> dump 0f - /dev/rsd1b
>but my weary fingers hammered out something like
> dump 0f /dev/rsd1b

Dump isn't the only "bad" program -- The NeXT version of 'newfs' works
fine on mounted file systems (I suppose because of 'BuildDisk' or
the auto-formatting of new SCSI devices).

See, I wanted to quickly erase an OD one day, and since I am such a UNIX
god, I decided just to plop that OD into our NeXT server and type
newfs /dev/rsd0a (It should have been /dev/rod0a)...

Ooops...So a few weeks later, I'm at a friend's house who just borrowed a
Sony MO (external) and I said "Step aside, I'll format this baby...By the
way, I just ruined a disk at work the other day doing this, but don't
worry, I'll be careful"
newfs /dev/rsd0a (Funny, the OD isn't making any noise.. Yes, I made
the same mistake again).

No one likes to hear my explanation -- "Mumble...'newfs' on a Sun won't work
on a mounted file system..." Actually, I submitted a bug to NeXT about this,
but, I surmise this defect is there on purpose, I don't think it will be fixed.

There's nothing like trying to rebuild a file system out of 'lost+found':-)

--
je...@corp.mot.com Voice: (708) 576-3312
UUCP: uunet!motcid!jens

William Pietri

Jun 16, 1992, 1:43:57 AM6/16/92
je...@cadsun.corp.mot.com (Jens von der Heide) writes:
> e...@futon.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>
> >I screwed up.
> >I wanted to type
> > dump 0f - /dev/rsd1b
> >but my weary fingers hammered out something like
> > dump 0f /dev/rsd1b
>
> See, I wanted to quickly erase an OD one day, and since I am such a
> UNIX god, I decided just to plop that OD into our NeXT server and
> type:
> newfs /dev/rsd0a (It should have been /dev/rod0a)...

Wheeee! The joys of Unix are many. My first real learning experience
was while attaching an external hard drive to one of our cubes. I typed
"disk -i /dev/rsd0a" and it was a good 30 seconds before I realized
that the wrong drive was making the chugga-chugga noise. After I
screamed and pulled the plug, I called our chief guru, who told me
where the backups lived. "No problem," I thought. Little did I
know...

Because the main drive was, of course, unhealthy, I booted up from
optical and grabbed the backups, which were multivolume dumps.
Dumped on ODs, that is. After just a few hours of cursing and swearing,
I accepted the fact that the NeXT thought that restoring from a drive
it wanted to use was majorly uncool. "That's OK," said I. "I have a
small external drive and a network with a few other NeXTs. Surely I can
arrange something."

Twenty-some hours later, after trying to NetBoot, build a too-small
disk, restore over the network, and sacrificing a chicken on top of
that (appropriately) black cube, something worked. I don't know
what and I couldn't reproduce it now, but I didn't care; I had won! I
had beaten the damned thing!

(In the end, though, Unix had its revenge; because of my supposed
knowledge, somebody offered me a job I couldn't afford to turn down.
Budding sysadmins should heed our warnings and find a nice, pleasant
job like digging ditches or fighting oil well fires or something.)

William

--
William Pietri | Email: William...@umich.edu
Stat. Dept. Sysadmin and | or: wil...@stat.lsa.umich.edu

John Robison

Jun 16, 1992, 4:05:24 PM6/16/92
The title should be:

*What you learn from "experience"*

I'll add my relatively tame story. (I am enjoying this thread!)

In moving user's home directories around, I most easily do this by
logging in as root, and copying things around with the Workspace. I
then do something like:

chown -R user.group user.

I USED to do something like this:

cd ~user
chown -R user.group *

Then I noticed I was missing the "hidden" dot files.

So, I did this:

cd ~user
chown -R user.group .*

After noticing this was taking a long time, I hit ctl-c. Well, I had
managed to set the permissions to user.group on all kinds of files in
all kinds of places.

That was before I realized that ".*" also includes ".." ;-(

Instead of "backing up from optical" (read: run BuildDisk), I
decided to try to look at the permissions on another computer and
attempt to change things back. THAT took a while.

Then, how do you change the . files, you ask?

something like:
chown -R user.group .[A-Z,a-z]*
is MUCH safer.

Enjoy,

John

--
John Robison
NeXTMail Gladly Accepted

Christopher Davis

Jun 16, 1992, 7:57:38 PM6/16/92
JR> == John Robison <jo...@oceania.com>

JR> Then, how do you change the . files, you ask?

JR> something like:
JR> chown -R user.group .[A-Z,a-z]*
JR> is MUCH safer.

Yeah, but if someone is being weird, that will lose (.-foo, say.).

How about

cd ~user
cd ..
chown -R user.group user

or

cd ~user
chown -R user.group .

I usually use the latter.

--Chris
--
Christopher Davis * c...@eff.org * System Administrator, EFF * +1 617 864 0665
Samizdata isn't that different from Samizdat. -- Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

Eric Thayer

Jun 17, 1992, 11:14:18 AM6/17/92
In article <CKD.92Ju...@loiosh.eff.org> c...@eff.org (Christopher Davis)
writes:

> JR> == John Robison <jo...@oceania.com>
>
> JR> Then, how do you change the . files, you ask?
>
> JR> something like:
> JR> chown -R user.group .[A-Z,a-z]*
> JR> is MUCH safer.
>
> Yeah, but if someone is being weird, that will lose (.-foo, say.).
>
> How about
>
> cd ~user
> cd ..
> chown -R user.group user
>
> or
>
> cd ~user
> chown -R user.group .
>
> I usually use the latter.

Me too. Also if it is available:

cd ~<user>
cd ..
tar cf - <user> | ( cd <new_user_root_path> ; tar xpf - )

This way, you can copy it and preserve the permissions.

Patrick E. Langford

Jun 17, 1992, 7:24:46 PM6/17/92

> dump 0f - /dev/rsd1b
>
> but my weary fingers hammered out something like
>
> dump 0f /dev/rsd1b

Here's a good one! Run DISK INIT in Sybase as root. Don't forget to
use /dev/rsd0a as the "physical" name of the device. Something like
a filename would be too SIMPLE of course

You can say "Goodbye" to however many Meg's of diskspace you specified for
the new device. Right over the boot block and
superblock it appears too.

Can we say "panic" boys and girls?"
This one had me giggling like I'd NEVER shut up.
He he....he
--
pat...@jgravesnext.nurs.utah.edu

Dan Berry

Jun 18, 1992, 4:47:14 PM6/18/92
jo...@oceania.com (John Robison) writes:
: I'll add my relatively tame story. (I am enjoying this thread!)

"Enjoying" this thread is a manner of speaking, I hope. :-)

: [...] I did this:
:
: cd ~user
: chown -R user.group .*

:
: After noticing this was taking a long time, I hit ctl-c. Well, I had
: managed to set the permissions to user.group on all kinds of files in
: all kinds of places.

Oh, that sounds familiar. But wait! Try doing THIS, to remove a "make
install" that had gone sour in the (VERY!) wrong directory, thinking it was
somewhere else:
-----
atlantis:/etc/foo [1:03pm]
root> rm *

atlantis:/etc/foo [1:04pm]
root> rm -fr .*

--interrupted
atlantis:/etc/foo [1:07pm]
root> cd /etc
pwd: getwd: can't stat .

(screams of "ARRRRRRGH!" [and other fine obscenities])
Kinda makes you wonder just how far things have to go before total system
meltdown, eh?
--
Dan Berry == President, NeXT Edmonton Owners Network / UofA Computers Tech.
bugs%atla...@cs.ualberta.ca (bu...@atlantis.uucp) *** NO NeXTmail! ***

Rob Francis

Jun 18, 1992, 11:35:19 PM6/18/92

I this happened today, because the topic had come up, and I just had
to come up with a good one...

This afternoon, I niloaded about 150 aliases. As it turned out, I
really didn't wont them. Since NetInfoMangler doesn't allow me to
select more than one thing at once, I was doing commmand-r <pause>
'return'. I had to hit return after every command-r to confirm that I
meant delete. So, I'm zipping along, just flying, doing
command-r/return as fast as I can. I start to get near the end, and
stop. Now the keyboard needs to catch up. So I sit there and watch it
finish up on the aliases directory, then it removes aliases, then
group, then fax_modems, then printers, then machines... you get the
picture. I realized what was going on as soon as I saw aliases go,
but by the time I killed NetInfoMangler, it was too late. There were
other conditions that made a clean restore from my clone network.nidb,
but I must say I was impressed at how well the clone took over. My
users didn't even know I had screwed up big time. Of course, I got
home five hours late, but I know I won't make that mistake again.

Fell any better, EPS?

-rob
fran...@indiana.edu

David Lemson

Jun 19, 1992, 10:22:33 AM6/19/92
In article <1992Jun19.0...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>
fran...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) writes:

> I this happened today, because the topic had come up, and I just had
> to come up with a good one...
>
> This afternoon, I niloaded about 150 aliases. As it turned out, I
> really didn't wont them. Since NetInfoMangler doesn't allow me to
> select more than one thing at once, I was doing commmand-r <pause>
> 'return'. I had to hit return after every command-r to confirm that I
> meant delete. So, I'm zipping along, just flying, doing
> command-r/return as fast as I can. I start to get near the end, and
[sad story deleted]
Now you know why some people stay away from NetInfoMangler...
That's why they created nidump and niload -d...for deleting 150 aliases at
once....
--
David Lemson (312) 732-4741
FNBC Sys Admin (Summer) UIUC NeXT Campus Consultant(rest of the time)

Nathan F. Janette

Jun 21, 1992, 7:59:45 PM6/21/92
In article <1992Jun19.1...@fnbc.com> lem...@fnbc.com (David Lemson)
writes:

> > This afternoon, I niloaded about 150 aliases. As it turned out, I
> > really didn't wont them. Since NetInfoMangler doesn't allow me to
> > select more than one thing at once, I was doing commmand-r <pause>
> > 'return'. I had to hit return after every command-r to confirm that I
> > meant delete. So, I'm zipping along, just flying, doing
> > command-r/return as fast as I can. I start to get near the end, and
> [sad story deleted]
> Now you know why some people stay away from NetInfoMangler...
> That's why they created nidump and niload -d...for deleting 150 aliases at
> once....

Yes, but don't forget, sometimes nidump doesn't dump
*all* the data fields for certain files. There is a
Support Bulletin which addresses this cute little
surprise.

--
Nathan Janette "I'm a NeXTstep man,
Dept MB&B, Yale Univ I'm a NeXTcube guy"

Marshall Gilula

Jun 22, 1992, 8:38:50 PM6/22/92
This is an attempt to solicit help with a uucp problem that I've
(blush) been working on for nearly a year. After changing from a
Neuron FAX96+ to a Telebit WorldBlazer, there is still some kind
of a problem occuring well after the link has been made.

I included the entire chat script, as is, but I x'd out the psswd's

My UNIX consultants, both famous and not in the NeXT world, have been
very generous and occasionally it seems that a dedicated line straight
into the Internet node (newssun in this script) by my system (gorilla is
my UUCPNAME) will be the only way of avoiding alleged x-on-x-off difficulties
with the server in the first step of my two-step logon procedure.

Any opinions, directly emailed to me, would be gratefully accepted.

chat script:
-----------------------
:r 22JuneUUCPchatSCRIPT

localhost# call newssun
root newssun (6/22-19:26-301) DEBUG (Local Enabled)
root newssun (6/22-19:26-301) NO CALL (MAX RECALLS)
MAX RECALL COUNT 95
root newssun (6/22-19:26-301) continuing anyway (debugging)
finds (newssun) called
ifadate returns 177
getto: call no. cufb for sys newssun
Using DIR to call
Opening /dev/cufb
login called
wanted """"
got: that
send "P_ZERO"
wanted """"
got: that
send "AT&F4"
wanted "OK~5"
AT&F4
OKgot: that
send "ATDT326-0313"
wanted "CONNECT~30"

ATDT326-0313
CONNECTgot: that
send "\r\d\r"
RETURN
DELAY
RETURN
wanted "ID:~30"

User ID:got: that
send "mgilula"
wanted "ssword:~10"
mgilula

Password:got: that
send "xxxxxxx"
wanted "login.~10"

Successful login.got: that
send "\r\d\r"
RETURN
DELAY
RETURN
wanted "local>~20"

Please type HELP if you need assistance

local>got: that
send "c\snewssun"
BLANK
wanted "ogin:~20"

local> c newssun
Xyplex -010- \007Session 1 to NEWSSUN established

SunOS UNIX (newssun.med.miami.edu)

login:got: that
send "ngorilla"
wanted "ssword:~10"
ngorilla
Password:got: that
send "xxxxxx"
root newssun (6/22-19:27-301) SUCCEEDED (call to newssun )
imsg looking for SYNC<
\20>
imsg input<Shere=newssun\0
Using \0 as End of message char
>got 13 characters
omsg <Sgorilla -Q0 -x99>
imsg looking for SYNC<\20>
imsg input<ROK\0>got 3 characters
msg-ROK
Rmtname newssun, Role MASTER, Ifn - 5, Loginuser - root
rmesg - 'P' imsg looking for SYNC<\20>
imsg input<Pgetxf\0>got 6 characters
got Pgetxf
wmesg 'U' g
omsg <Ug>
send 073
rec h->cntl 077
send 061
state - 01
rec h->cntl 061
send 053
state - 03
rec h->cntl 057
state - 010
Proto started g
protocol g
root newssun (6/22-19:27-301) OK (startup cufb 19200 baud)
*** TOP *** - role=MASTER
gnamef returns .
bldflst rejects .
gnamef returns ..
bldflst rejects ..
gnamef returns C.newssunA0024
gnamef returns C.newssunA0034
gnamef returns C.newssunA0044
gnamef returns C.newssunA0054
bldflst returns 1
agent newssun (6/22-19:27-301) REQUEST (S D.gorillaB0022 D.gorillaS0022 agent)
expfile type - 0, wrktype - S
wmesg 'S' D.gorillaB0022 D.gorillaS0022 agent - D.gorillaB0022 0666
send 0210
rmesg - 'S' rec h->cntl 041
state - 010
rec h->cntl 0211
Set pk_rpr from 1 to 1 in pkgetpack
send 041
got SY
PROCESS: msg - SY
SNDFILE:
send 0221
send 0231
send 0241
send 0251
send 0261
send 0271
send 0301
rec h->cntl 042
state - 010
send 0311
sent data 425 bytes 0.45 secs
rmesg - 'C' rec h->cntl 043
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
state - 010
pkcget: alarm 4001
send 0251
pkcget: alarm 7002
send 0251
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 1
send 0261
state - 010
pkcget: alarm 10003
send 0251
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 2
send 0261
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 3
send 0271
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 4
Reack overflow on 4
send 0251
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 1
send 0261
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 2
send 0271
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 3
send 0301
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 4
Reack overflow on 4
send 0251
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 1
send 0261
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 2
send 0271
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 3
send 0301
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 4
Reack overflow on 4
send 0251
state - 010
rec h->cntl 044
Reack count is 1
send 0261
state - 010
rec h->cntl 010
state - 06000
got FAIL
agent newssun (6/22-19:30-301) BAD READ (expected 'C' got FAIL (2))
cntrl - -1
agent newssun (6/22-19:30-301) FAILED (conversation complete)
send OO -1,omsg <OOOOOO>
imsg looking for SYNC<\20>
imsg input< "*\10 \20>
imsg input<OOOOOO\0>got 6 characters
localhost#
--
Marshall F. Gilula, M.D "El que busca mucho nada encuentra, pero
mgi...@newssun.med.miami.edu el que busca nada mucho encuentra"

Dru Nelson

Jun 26, 1992, 11:41:35 PM6/26/92
mgi...@newssun.med.miami.edu (Marshall Gilula) writes:
: chat script:

OK, you are logging into the terminal server fine...

: RETURN

You have logged in fine and completed the initial phase of uucp connection.....

: Rmtname newssun, Role MASTER, Ifn - 5, Loginuser - root

: rmesg - 'P' imsg looking for SYNC<\20>
: imsg input<Pgetxf\0>got 6 characters
: got Pgetxf
: wmesg 'U' g
: omsg <Ug>

The server has agreed on 'g' protocol and things are still rolling along fine...

: send 073
: rec h->cntl 077

OH, OH, what is this h->cntl?? I haven't heard of this debug message mentioned.

: send 061

: state - 01
: rec h->cntl 061
: send 053
: state - 03
: rec h->cntl 057
: state - 010
: Proto started g
: protocol g

HMM, smells like incompatibility between Sun and NeXT.
But still it survives...

: root newssun (6/22-19:27-301) OK (startup cufb 19200 baud)

: *** TOP *** - role=MASTER

Roles switch, masters change... wheels turn...

: gnamef returns .

: bldflst rejects .
: gnamef returns ..
: bldflst rejects ..

Huh?/??

: gnamef returns C.newssunA0024

: gnamef returns C.newssunA0034
: gnamef returns C.newssunA0044
: gnamef returns C.newssunA0054

STILL, it survives!

: bldflst returns 1

: agent newssun (6/22-19:27-301) REQUEST (S D.gorillaB0022 D.gorillaS0022 agent)
: expfile type - 0, wrktype - S
: wmesg 'S' D.gorillaB0022 D.gorillaS0022 agent - D.gorillaB0022 0666
: send 0210
: rmesg - 'S' rec h->cntl 041
: state - 010
: rec h->cntl 0211
: Set pk_rpr from 1 to 1 in pkgetpack
: send 041
: got SY

We tell the slave "Take this file!" and it Says Yes.
Onward...

: PROCESS: msg - SY

: SNDFILE:
: send 0221
: send 0231
: send 0241
: send 0251
: send 0261
: send 0271
: send 0301
: rec h->cntl 042

BOOM! Crash! POW!

: state - 010

: send 0311
: sent data 425 bytes 0.45 secs
: rmesg - 'C' rec h->cntl 043
: state - 010
: rec h->cntl 044
: state - 010
: pkcget: alarm 4001

Enought said. Only alarm 1 is documented .... Four Thousand One is too much!

Smells like HEAVY incompatibility between HONEY DANBER and whatever BSD UUCP.

: send 0251

Lets quit, this is heinous, scandalous, shocking, ABOMINABLE!!!!

: agent newssun (6/22-19:30-301) BAD READ (expected 'C' got FAIL (2))

: cntrl - -1
: agent newssun (6/22-19:30-301) FAILED (conversation complete)
: send OO -1,omsg <OOOOOO>
: imsg looking for SYNC<\20>
: imsg input< "*\10 \20>
: imsg input<OOOOOO\0>got 6 characters

WE AGREE ON THIS AND BARF!

Good luck.

: --

Geoff Kuenning

Jul 14, 1992, 1:22:34 AM7/14/92
Rather than ".*", I tend to use ".??*". This skips . and .., but
picks up anything 3 characters or longer. (Yes, it will also miss
wierd files like ".r" or ".[", but that's not usually a problem for
me.)

Just a little trick I picked up when I was a Unix beginner...
--
Geoff Kuenning ge...@ITcorp.com uunet!desint!geoff