OpenStep 4.2 for Mach Experience

pok

Jul 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/8/97

Last week I ordered OpenStep 4.2 for Mach (Intel) Academic Bundle, which
includes OpenStep developer. It arrived three days ago. Documentation was
extraordinarily sparse, NeXTAnswers was almost useless, most information is
outdated in some way or another. For a company which has focused so much of
its attention on the web, the NeXT home page has surprisingly inadequate
content.

Let's put it this way, Linux has far more useful, relevant, friendly
information than OpenStep/NeXTStep. And if that's true, that's a real
disappointment that Tevanian and company are put to shame by a group of
volunteers. Hopefully the Apple acquisition has really given these NeXT
engineers some new life.

Nevertheless, installation, compared to other non-mainstream Operating Systems
was fairly painless. I remember making Linux go the first time, and it's
considerably easier than that. And OS/2 2.x and Warp weren't without their
problems. The soundcard worked right off the hop and most devices were
detected immediately.

It's by no means a consumer level operating system. This much seems clear --
in my mind, it's really like an easier to use, more elegant Unix. Updating to
BSD 4.4, improved consumer level tools like automatic PPP support and improved
device driver support are future musthaves.

Of course, the nice, crisp display postscript is a joy to use.

My system:

AMD K6-166MMX CPU
64MB 10ns SDRAM
ASUS TX97-E Motherboard
Matrox Millenium 4MB
Acer 685 8x CD-ROM (ATAPI)
3G and 1.2G EIDE drives
Optiquest 775 17" Monitor

I've had no problems with the AMD K6 CPU. It works and works solidly. Fast
fast fast. Similarly, the new Intel TX chipset functions flawlessly.

By the way, does anyone know of a good communications program for calling
BBS's? Kermit is absolutely intolerable.

-Wilson

Markus Wenzel

Jul 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/9/97

In <5pt1od$2...@thoth.portal.ca> pok wrote:

> By the way, does anyone know of a good communications program for calling
> BBS's? Kermit is absolutely intolerable.

kermit is cool for Unix experts. It just works.
If you want a fancy app, look for TipTop.

--
Navigator Markus Wenzel in...@navigator.de
IT Consulting & System Administration http://www.navigator.de/