OmniWeb and NeXTStep 3.0

Joao Neves Cabral

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96

First let me apologize for my ignorance on NeXT related stuff. I just
aquired my first NeXT station Turbo Color, and I know very few things of the
NeXT world.

My box has NeXTStep 3.0 and I just downloaded the beta OmniWeb 2.0 for
NeXT architechtures. When I try to run it the icon disapears after a
few seconds. I've tried to launch it from UNIX and I get a message
saying that an error ocurred with a shered library.

So, my questions are:

- Should OmniWeb 2.0 run on my system, or do I need a higher
version of NeXTStep ?

- What are the existent higher versions of NeXTStep ? Should I upgrade
my system ? Is it worth ? If so, where can I buy a recent version of
the OS ?

Any information on these issues would be apreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Joao.

David Evans

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
In article <4ftb76$3...@maxwell.eppet.pt>,

Joao Neves Cabral <jc...@maxwell.eppet.pt> wrote:

>First let me apologize for my ignorance on NeXT related stuff. I just
>aquired my first NeXT station Turbo Color, and I know very few things of the
>NeXT world.

We were all there once...

>My box has NeXTStep 3.0 and I just downloaded the beta OmniWeb 2.0 for
>NeXT architechtures. When I try to run it the icon disapears after a
>few seconds. I've tried to launch it from UNIX and I get a message
>saying that an error ocurred with a shered library.
>
>So, my questions are:
>
> - Should OmniWeb 2.0 run on my system, or do I need a higher
> version of NeXTStep ?

The simple answer, yes. It will run under 3.3, 3.2+EOF 1.1, or 3.2 plus the
FoundationUserPatch included with WebObjects. I have no idea if this combo
will fly under 3.0, though.

> - What are the existent higher versions of NeXTStep ? Should I upgrade
> my system ? Is it worth ? If so, where can I buy a recent version of
> the OS ?

You can buy the OS from NeXT or Object Technologies for the academic version.
Whether it's worth it is hard to say--many new apps won't work with 3.0. If
you qualify for the academic bundle, it's $299 US which is pretty nice. If
not, then $799 for user and $4999 for developer makes one think a little
longer.

--
David Evans (NeXTMail OK) dfe...@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

Paul Lynch

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
In article <4ftb76$3...@maxwell.eppet.pt> jc...@maxwell.eppet.pt (Joao Neves
Cabral) writes:
> My box has NeXTStep 3.0 and I just downloaded the beta OmniWeb 2.0 for
> NeXT architechtures. When I try to run it the icon disapears after a
> few seconds. I've tried to launch it from UNIX and I get a message
> saying that an error ocurred with a shered library.
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> - Should OmniWeb 2.0 run on my system, or do I need a higher
> version of NeXTStep ?

OmniWeb 2.0 requires FoundationKit to run. To get this, you must have 3.2
of NeXTSTEP or better.

> - What are the existent higher versions of NeXTStep ? Should I upgrade
> my system ? Is it worth ? If so, where can I buy a recent version of
> the OS ?

It is probably worth upgrading to 3.3; there is a price to upgrade which
is cheaper than buying a full new release (approx $225 for User, and $1200
for Developer).

Paul
--
Paul Lynch (NeXTmail)
http://www.plsys.co.uk/~paul

Garance A Drosehn

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
l...@lorien.umd.edu (Lin) wrote:
> But I read in the past that TranSys PNI will not work in 3.3.
> Now that the author of Transys PNI are not supporting this
> package anymore, there's no hope getting an upgrade that will
> work in 3.3.

There was a release of TransSys PNI just as NS-3.3 was coming
out, and in that release was the disclaimer of "I don't know
that this release will work with NS-3.3".

NS-3.3 came out, and many people have commented that the
package does indeed work fine. So while you did hear that
there might be SLIP problems with an upgrade to NS-3.3, I
do not expect you'd really see any trouble.

NS-3.3 plus patch1 (at ftp.next.com) make for a very nice
system. About the only glitch I'm aware of is the problem
with the clock in the preference application. It leaks a
little bit of memory every time the clock (in the icon) is
updated. This can be a problem if your preference is to
have the clock updating every second. I believe that
problem still exists after patch1.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn = g...@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy NY USA