DSP memory module

jogo news

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Quick question, does anyone remember what type of memory to use for the DSP
56001 in Turbo systems? I was wondering if anyone has that.

David Evans

Jun 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/26/98

In article <H5Bk1.15$UT5.1...@proxye1.san.rr.com>,

jogo news <j...@ask.com> wrote:
>Quick question, does anyone remember what type of memory to use for the DSP
>56001 in Turbo systems? I was wondering if anyone has that.

Weird and custom, unfortunately.

--
David Evans (NeXTMail/MIME OK) dfe...@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

Carl Ludwigson

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

: jogo news <j...@ask.com> wrote:
: >Quick question, does anyone remember what type of memory to use for the DSP
: >56001 in Turbo systems? I was wondering if anyone has that.
: >

: Weird and custom, unfortunately.

Motorola's MCM518128 (128k x 8) would be a guess, since PSRAMs simplify
the i/f to the 56k, but these, of course, aren't mfg'd anymore. I think
the orig. board was 96kbytes (32k x 24 maybe). Someday I'll meet someone
who has actually seen one!

: --

Izumi Ohzawa

Jun 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/27/98

In article <H5Bk1.15$UT5.1...@proxye1.san.rr.com> "jogo news" <j...@ask.com> writes:
>Quick question, does anyone remember what type of memory to use for the DSP
>56001 in Turbo systems? I was wondering if anyone has that.

The official NeXT DSP expansion SIMM (part # N7013) has 3 ea.
Motorola static RAM "MCM6206CJ35" on it, and a 74F158A (probably
for address decode). This SIMM provides 32 kwords (24bits/word)
of DSP RAM when installed into that empty slot (this replaces the
on-board 8kwords DSP RAM, not in addition to it) on the NeXT CPU
board.

No alternative source for NeXT DSP RAM was available, although someone
at San Francisco State U. built a batch of SIMMs that had full RAM
capacity supported by 56001.

Peter Nitezki

Jul 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/5/98

<j...@ask.com> writes:
> Quick question, does anyone remember what type of memory to use
> for the DSP 56001 in Turbo systems? I was wondering if anyone has
> that.

No, I don't, and I doubt they're still on sale (NeXT might not have sold
that much, anyway). But you could scan one of the Usenet archives for the
c.s.n tree (like Peanuts). I know that there was a Bay Area (?)
university that had a user group manufacturing full address space
expansion boards, but I've never seen them traded in c.s.n.marketplace for
several years, now.

--
Peter Nitezki | pnit...@acm.org # Blessed art thou who knoweth
Staarenbergstr. 44 | Tel.: +49 7251 62495 # not about the pleasure and