Wargames Dialer

Mike Stuard

Jan 31, 1989, 5:38:10 PM1/31/89

I recently accquired a hayes comptible modem and I was wondering
if there were any sequence dialers available for the mac. You know
something like in the movie War Games. I give it a prefix and it dials
all of the numbers in that prefix, If anyone knows of such programs please let
me know. I have already looked in the bitnet servers Macserve@pucc and
listserv@rice. I also do not have FTP capability.
Thanks
mike

--
Deviant disclaimer: OOP! ACK! DON'T PANIC, It's not that important anyhow.
/-> mstuard @ ace.cs.oucs.edu

Kiron Bondale

Feb 1, 1989, 12:05:21 AM2/1/89
In article <4...@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> mst...@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Mike Stuard) writes:

> I recently accquired a hayes comptible modem and I was wondering
>if there were any sequence dialers available for the mac. You know
>something like in the movie War Games. I give it a prefix and it dials
>all of the numbers in that prefix, If anyone knows of such programs please let
me know.

Well, I wrote one up a while ago and posted it to GEnie...it is an application and will let you dial a range of numbers, and will subsequently write any found ones to a log file... it IS shareware... if you are interested, leave e-mail.

Kiron

| Kiron D. Bondale | Concordia University |
| Khan Noonian Singh "Did you ever read Milton?" |
----------habitat : ki...@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA------------

wil...@mcdurb.urbana.gould.com

Feb 1, 1989, 9:51:00 AM2/1/89

Dear Mr. FBI:

Please put a trace on this guy's phone. He is probably up to no good.

But seriously, can anyone think of any legitimate use for such a thing?

Adrian Sullivan

Feb 1, 1989, 10:46:21 PM2/1/89
In article <27200018@mcdurb>, wil...@mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM says:

>But seriously, can anyone think of any legitimate use for such a thing?

i can, i run a bbs here in pennsylvania, and have lost contact from a few
of the other local bbs's. i *know* some of them must exist, but i have no
way of finding them (yet). with this program, i'll be able to dial every
number in town :) and find them all [also finding all my univerities
computer system numbers ;-) ]. i'd appreciate it if the developer of this
software would either post or e-mail it to me. thanks

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
-Adrian Sullivan, Vice President PAMUG == -==- Little Mac BBs
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--== -==- (814) 238-4276
- axs...@psuvm.bitnet a...@psuarch.bitnet == -==- 2400/1200bps
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--== -==- 8-n-1 24hrs

Kiron Bondale

Feb 1, 1989, 11:26:32 PM2/1/89
In article <27200018@mcdurb> wil...@mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

>But seriously, can anyone think of any legitimate use for such a thing?

Well having created the baby, I suppose I should defend it ->
yes... for example say your favorite BBS number's last digit slips your mind
... run my pgm. and you will be able to narrow down the choices significantly.

Ok so it is lame... I programmed it as a programming exercise (and maybe
earn some dough) but not to encourage stupidity... any illicit use of my
program is not my responsibility but those of the individual...

Kiron

Kiron D. Bondale Concordia University, Mtl, Quebec, Canada
"Never mourn Black Omne"-|_|-Habitat:ki...@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA

William M. Bumgarner

Feb 2, 1989, 9:25:11 AM2/2/89
There is another potentially beneficial use...

You know those radio stations that have the silly voting polls-- set the
Dialer to repeatedly dial one of the voting lines (either yes or no), and
see how badly you can bend the vote count.

Seriously, scanning for modems is kind of rude-- I hate it when a modem/person
hangs up on me without ever acknowledging my existence.

Where can a copy of this software be found?

b.bum
wb...@andrew.cmu.edu

Jonathan Pratt

Feb 2, 1989, 10:33:58 AM2/2/89
It's been suggested that there are legitimate uses for autodialing an
entire exchange (eg. finding bbs's). I disagree, and I expect the phone
company would too. This is a step worse than telemarketing, since you're
annoying several hundred people just to find a lost number. It seems to
me this is at least unethical and probably illegal.

Jonathan

/* Jonathan Pratt Internet: pr...@boulder.colorado.edu *
* Campus Box 525 uucp: ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!pratt *
* University of Colorado *
* Boulder, CO 80309 Phone: (303) 492-4293 */

Todd

Feb 2, 1989, 12:04:55 PM2/2/89
Please don't do this! Auto-dialers are a real pain in the neck to
everyone it calls, and it gives us computer hackers a bad name.

Todd heberlein
hebe...@iris.ucdavis.edu 128.120.57.20

Keith Elliston

Feb 3, 1989, 4:07:16 PM2/3/89
In article <oXu6H7y00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, wb...@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:

> Seriously, scanning for modems is kind of rude-- I hate it when a modem/person
> hangs up on me without ever acknowledging my existence.

Isnt it illegal to dial up "random" numbers? I have heard that this recently
(or not so recently) became illegal, due the those annoying automatic dialers
that solicit things.... ie., recorded calls. Apparently they can only legally
dial numbers listed in the phone book. I think they monitor lines for this
kind of activity.

Keith

Ken Mcdonald

Feb 2, 1989, 6:26:04 AM2/2/89
In article <69693AXS101@PSUVM>, AXS...@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) writes:

> way of finding them (yet). with this program, i'll be able to dial every
> number in town :) and find them all [also finding all my univerities
>

> --==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
> -Adrian Sullivan, Vice President PAMUG == -==- Little Mac BBs
> --==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--== -==- (814) 238-4276
> - axs...@psuvm.bitnet a...@psuarch.bitnet == -==- 2400/1200bps
> --==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--== -==- 8-n-1 24hrs

While I doubt Adrian Sullivan would dial every number in town, the
existence of a program as the auto-dialer raises a disturbing question--
to what extent are we allowed to inconvenience others, for our own
convenience. I'm kind of disappointed that people would even consider
using a program like the one mentioned about. Is it really worth it to
make thousands of people answer a wrong number just to find a few
(probably mostly useless) modem numbers? If if all BBS operators and
users started searching for other BBS's this way, they would create a
major annoyance for "normal" phone users--including themselves!

So think before you have your computer dial all the numbers in the
phone book. If what you are doing is reasonable, then its reasonable to
expect lots of others to do the same thing--and if this causes problems,
then the activity wasn't very rational in the first place!

Ken "'Scuse the Typos" McDonald
{...!ubc-cs!mcdo...@fornax.uucp}

Ken Hancock

Feb 5, 1989, 12:20:33 PM2/5/89
In article <8...@fornax.UUCP> mcdo...@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:
>In article <69693AXS101@PSUVM>, AXS...@PSUVM.BITNET (Adrian Sullivan) writes:
>
>> way of finding them (yet). with this program, i'll be able to dial every
>> number in town :) and find them all [also finding all my univerities
>>
>While I doubt Adrian Sullivan would dial every number in town, the
>existence of a program as the auto-dialer raises a disturbing question--
>to what extent are we allowed to inconvenience others, for our own
>convenience. I'm kind of disappointed that people would even consider
>using a program like the one mentioned about.

Yeah, but how else can I partake in my favorite pastime of
trying to break into top-secret computers and banks and
all sorts of fun things when they keep changing the
numbers on me? :-)

Ken

Disclaimer: My employer neither knows about, nor supports my efforts
in espionage and theft. :-).

Ken Hancock '90 | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant | INTERNET: is...@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER? I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

Bill Cramer

Feb 6, 1989, 9:07:09 AM2/6/89
< [ misc comments about a Wargames-like autodialer ] >

In regards to the automatic dialing program which searches for modems:

In Texas (and I'm sure other states), the Public Utilities Commission (PUC)
prohibits the use of random or incremental dialing systems. Even automated
telemarketing dialers must be licensed and obey some fairly significant
restrictions on when they dial, the numbers they dial, and the nature of their
message.

Although I don't claim to have a firm grip on the Law, I suspect that the
same laws apply to a program which randomly looks for modem response. Before
you do something you may regret, have a chat with the phone company.

Bill Cramer
IEX Corporation
{uunet,convex,killer}!iex!cramer

Victor O'Rear

Feb 7, 1989, 1:16:39 AM2/7/89
In article <27200018@mcdurb> wil...@mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

How about compiling a list of BBS's in your area if your city is heavily
into modems (as we are) and the state of BBS's surpases the only published
list? How about if no-one publishes a good list?

| Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, cbosgd, ucsd, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro |
| USnail: P.O. Box 3972, La Mesa, California 92044, United States of America|
| mil : crash!vic...@nosc.ARPA and home: (619) 588-7423 (Sand Eigo, Ca) |
| |
| "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces |
| beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science" |

donald mccleary

Feb 14, 1989, 2:12:01 AM2/14/89
With the scanners available today, wouldn't it be possible to scan
phone numbers that are listed, and dial only the unlisted numbers?

Yes, I know how long it would take to load in NYC phone book, but for
smaller cities, this might be a viable alternative. (Takes care of
the harassment problem, but probably not legal problems.)