Mouse Acceleration

Jerry Gardner

Jan 25, 2002, 6:00:02 PM1/25/02
I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe Mac OS X.1.2 implements mouse
acceleration. E.g., the faster you move the mouse, the faster,
proportionally, the mouse pointer moves. This is in contrast to linear
motion, where the mouse pointer always moves in a strictly linear
fashion in response to mouse movement.

Is there any way to turn this off, using either a built-in utility, a
command line utility, or a third-party tool? I'd like fast, but
strictly linear, mouse response.

--
Jerry Gardner
w6...@hotmail.com

Doug Magnoli

Jan 25, 2002, 10:22:16 PM1/25/02
I know nothing about OS X, so I can't answer what you're asking. But I
can tell you that, as a user of Kensington mouses, Kensington software
allows you to set the speed of the response of your mouse.

...But you're probably not looking to buy a mouse to solve this problem.
(Although I have to say, there's a lot be to said for a 4-button mouse
that lets you set different functions for the buttons in each
application.)

-Doug Magnoli
[Delete the two and the three for email.]

Yvo Smellenbergh

Jan 26, 2002, 2:56:33 AM1/26/02
Jerry Gardner <w6...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Take a look at Carsten's home page:
http://homepage.mac.com/carstenklapp/
I'm using his AppleUSBMouse Turbo Edition and I'm very happy with it.
At the bottom you will also find a link to MouseZoom.

Yvo

--
e-mail:yvosRE...@mac.com

MacMegaPOV homepage:
http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh

Jeremy

Jan 26, 2002, 8:54:12 AM1/26/02
Jerry Gardner <w6...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe Mac OS X.1.2 implements mouse
> acceleration. E.g., the faster you move the mouse, the faster,
> proportionally, the mouse pointer moves. This is in contrast to linear
> motion, where the mouse pointer always moves in a strictly linear
> fashion in response to mouse movement.

I don't think that it does the acceleration thing; I don't notice it in
OS X at any mouse speed setting. And mouse acceleration drives me
absolutely insane, so there's no conceivable way I would not have noticed
it.

However, the touchpad on my TiBook *definitely* uses acceleration, which
sucks a lot, and I have found no way to shut it off, which sucks even
more. So, I would guess that, if for some reason you're getting mouse
acceleration, you're well and truly screwed without some sort of
third-party software. You should report this as a bug to Apple.

I think the best possible solution would be to find the person who
invented mouse acceleration and shoot him in the back of the head. Bonus
points for inventing a time machine first and shooting him before he gets
a chance to inflict that crap on the world.

--
Jeremy | jer...@exit109.com

ZnU

Jan 26, 2002, 12:25:10 PM1/26/02
In article <10120532...@ok-corral.gunslinger.net>,
Jeremy <jer...@exit109.com> wrote:

> Jerry Gardner <w6...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe Mac OS X.1.2 implements mouse
> > acceleration. E.g., the faster you move the mouse, the faster,
> > proportionally, the mouse pointer moves. This is in contrast to linear
> > motion, where the mouse pointer always moves in a strictly linear
> > fashion in response to mouse movement.
>
> I don't think that it does the acceleration thing; I don't notice it in
> OS X at any mouse speed setting. And mouse acceleration drives me
> absolutely insane, so there's no conceivable way I would not have noticed
> it.

OS X definitely has mouse acceleration. Try setting the cursor at one
edge of the screen and the mouse at the corresponding edge of the mouse
pad, and then pushing the mouse slowly across the pad. Then do the same
thing while moving the mouse quickly. It'll be obvious. Acceleration,
when implemented right, isn't something you should really be consciously
aware of in normal use.

Every version of Mac OS has had acceleration, AFAIK.

> However, the touchpad on my TiBook *definitely* uses acceleration, which
> sucks a lot, and I have found no way to shut it off, which sucks even
> more. So, I would guess that, if for some reason you're getting mouse
> acceleration, you're well and truly screwed without some sort of
> third-party software. You should report this as a bug to Apple.
>
> I think the best possible solution would be to find the person who
> invented mouse acceleration and shoot him in the back of the head. Bonus
> points for inventing a time machine first and shooting him before he gets
> a chance to inflict that crap on the world.

Apparently you don't mind it as much as you think you do ;-)

--
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial
flavors,and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Gareth John

Jan 26, 2002, 3:18:45 PM1/26/02
ZnU wrote:

> In article <10120532...@ok-corral.gunslinger.net>,
> Jeremy <jer...@exit109.com> wrote:
>
> > Jerry Gardner <w6...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe Mac OS X.1.2 implements mouse
> > > acceleration. E.g., the faster you move the mouse, the faster,
> > > proportionally, the mouse pointer moves. This is in contrast to linear
> > > motion, where the mouse pointer always moves in a strictly linear
> > > fashion in response to mouse movement.
> >
> > I don't think that it does the acceleration thing; I don't notice it in
> > OS X at any mouse speed setting. And mouse acceleration drives me
> > absolutely insane, so there's no conceivable way I would not have noticed
> > it.
>
> OS X definitely has mouse acceleration. Try setting the cursor at one
> edge of the screen and the mouse at the corresponding edge of the mouse
> pad, and then pushing the mouse slowly across the pad. Then do the same
> thing while moving the mouse quickly. It'll be obvious. Acceleration,
> when implemented right, isn't something you should really be consciously
> aware of in normal use.
>
> Every version of Mac OS has had acceleration, AFAIK.

Absolutely correct, at least since System 2.

> > However, the touchpad on my TiBook *definitely* uses acceleration, which
> > sucks a lot, and I have found no way to shut it off, which sucks even
> > more.

Doh, that would be the Trackpad (or Mouse) control panel (in OS9, at
least). 'Fast' includes non-linear response to the speed of mouse or
trackpad movement. This has always been so. It's fundamental to the
Mac's ergonomics.

> > So, I would guess that, if for some reason you're getting mouse
> > acceleration, you're well and truly screwed without some sort of
> > third-party software. You should report this as a bug to Apple.
> >
> > I think the best possible solution would be to find the person who
> > invented mouse acceleration and shoot him in the back of the head. Bonus
> > points for inventing a time machine first and shooting him before he gets
> > a chance to inflict that crap on the world.
>
> Apparently you don't mind it as much as you think you do ;-)

Or indeed _notice_ it as much as you think you do.

Gareth.

Jeremy

Jan 26, 2002, 4:24:13 PM1/26/02
ZnU <z...@znu.dhs.org> wrote:

> OS X definitely has mouse acceleration. Try setting the cursor at one
> edge of the screen and the mouse at the corresponding edge of the mouse
> pad, and then pushing the mouse slowly across the pad. Then do the same
> thing while moving the mouse quickly. It'll be obvious. Acceleration,
> when implemented right, isn't something you should really be consciously
> aware of in normal use.

Aha. I just played with it a bit, and if I turn the mouse speed up, I
do notice it. In fact, that was probably why I kept the speed set as
low as I did. With the slow speed I use, I really don't notice it, but
it's definitely there; they at least did a good job with it at the slower
speeds, since it doesn't bother me at all. If I move the slider past the
half-way point, though, it becomes very obvious (and very annoying).

Not a big deal for me, since I prefer a bit of a slower mouse anyway.
But I think the setting I would prefer is actually the first one where
I begin to get annoyed by the acceleration. One notch slower is fine
though.

> Apparently you don't mind it as much as you think you do ;-)

No, at the slow speeds, that is indeed the case.

Most of my experience attempting to deal with mouse acceleration was
under Windows, which as we all know has absolutely crap mouse handling
all-around anyway. :)

--
Jeremy | jer...@exit109.com

Ben Hines

Jan 30, 2002, 2:07:44 PM1/30/02
In article <1f6m0ss.15iow9irsziagN%yvosRE...@mac.com>,
yvosRE...@mac.com (Yvo Smellenbergh) wrote:

> I'm using his AppleUSBMouse Turbo Edition and I'm very happy with it.
> At the bottom you will also find a link to MouseZoom.

MouseZoom is at:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhines/mousezoom.html

I consider it saner than the kernel extension hack version. As of 2.0,
you can set the speed live.

-Ben