Mac IIfx will not turn off

Lockar

Dec 18, 2005, 5:45:42 PM12/18/05

I recently got a Macintosh IIfx (a Mac II upgraded to a Mac
IIfx), but the thing will not turn off. You have to unplug the unit to
turn it off.

Pushing the power button doesn't do any thing when the unit is
on, and if you select 'Shutdown' it just comes up with 'It's not safe
to turn off your computer', instead of powering off like a Mac II.

Is there a jumper or something that would lock out from you
turning off the computer?

-Lockar

Charles

Dec 18, 2005, 5:53:52 PM12/18/05
In article <181220051745427646%loc...@nosppam.com>, Lockar
<loc...@nosppam.com> wrote:

> Is there a jumper or something that would lock out from you
> turning off the computer?

Check and see if there is a slot on the power button. If there is and
the button is flush with the case turn the button it until the power
button comes out.

--
Charles

Andy Hewitt

Dec 18, 2005, 6:24:08 PM12/18/05
Charles <for...@mac.com> wrote:

There's also a button on the back of the Mac II (near the PSU) that
forces restarts.

Speaking from bitter experience of course :-)

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Lockar

Dec 18, 2005, 7:16:31 PM12/18/05

You are thinking of a Mac IIcx or Mac IIci (and Mac IIsi (I
think)) where you can turn the power button to the on. You can't use
the power button to turn on the machine because it's already pushed in.
You have to have to the power on key on the keyboard.

The Mac II, Mac IIx and Mac IIfx do not have this feature. So it
has to be something else..

-Lockar

In article <181220051753525910%for...@mac.com>, Charles

Stefan Lindstrom

Dec 19, 2005, 2:19:29 AM12/19/05
Lockar <loc...@nosppam.com> writes:

> Pushing the power button doesn't do any thing when the unit is
> on, and if you select 'Shutdown' it just comes up with 'It's not safe
> to turn off your computer', instead of powering off like a Mac II.

Hmmm, I've never seen this message from a Mac. Are you sure it doesn't
say "It is *now* safe to turn off your computer"? That's what you get
from Macs who lack "soft power", i e Macs that you can't power off
completely from the menu choice Shutdown.

It does however seem strange that nothing happens when you push the
power button.

Just a thought,
/Stefan

Lockar

Dec 19, 2005, 4:29:41 AM12/19/05

Stefan,

LOL You are correct. That was a typo.. It is 'now' and 'not'.

I find the whole thing strange. The Mac II can be turned off by
going to 'Shutdown'.

I found some jumpers on the motherboard labled j106 and j103
any idea what these are for?

-Lockar

In article <864q558...@karlslund.homeunix.org>, Stefan Lindstrom

Ed Anson

Dec 19, 2005, 7:49:52 PM12/19/05
That is strange behavior. IIRC when I used a IIfx it was able to shut
itself off. If I had to guess, I'd say there must be a failure in the
circuit that shuts off the power, or in the circuit that activates it.
Given its age, I think a repair is unlikely, so you may need an external
switch.

Ed

LU

Dec 20, 2005, 8:22:42 AM12/20/05
Hello!
If I remember it correctly I once had the same problem back in system
7.1 (or so) days. This turned out to be a software problem (corrupted
finder or system file). The shut down process is software controlled, so
this may happen. After I replaced the files, the machine shut down as it
should.

Hope, your problem may be solved easily.
Regards,
LU

Lockar

Dec 20, 2005, 5:40:49 PM12/20/05

I thought this was the case as well. So I reinstalled the
System software (7.01) with a reformat. Still turns on, but will not
turn off unless I pull the plug. I am guessing it's a hardware issue.
I thought it was a jumper some where that locked out shutdown.

But from what you guys are telling me there is no such jumper.
Figures I get a IIfx and it's defective! LOL

-Lockar

In article <lookee-FC7B96....@news.highway.telekom.at>, LU

Dave Balderstone

Dec 20, 2005, 6:01:59 PM12/20/05
In article <201220051740494004%loc...@nosppam.com>, Lockar
<loc...@nosppam.com> wrote:

> I thought this was the case as well. So I reinstalled the
> System software (7.01) with a reformat. Still turns on, but will not
> turn off unless I pull the plug. I am guessing it's a hardware issue.
> I thought it was a jumper some where that locked out shutdown.
>
> But from what you guys are telling me there is no such jumper.
> Figures I get a IIfx and it's defective! LOL

Double check the power button at the back. I'm pretty sure there was a
lock mechanism that would stop shutdown and auto restart after a power
failure.

djb

--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

Andy Hewitt

Dec 20, 2005, 6:29:06 PM12/20/05
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <201220051740494004%loc...@nosppam.com>, Lockar
> <loc...@nosppam.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought this was the case as well. So I reinstalled the
> > System software (7.01) with a reformat. Still turns on, but will not
> > turn off unless I pull the plug. I am guessing it's a hardware issue.
> > I thought it was a jumper some where that locked out shutdown.
> >
> > But from what you guys are telling me there is no such jumper.
> > Figures I get a IIfx and it's defective! LOL
>
> Double check the power button at the back. I'm pretty sure there was a
> lock mechanism that would stop shutdown and auto restart after a power
> failure.

Yeah, I said that bloody ages ago! ;-)

Richard Tomkins

Dec 20, 2005, 9:23:55 PM12/20/05
cmd-opt-f-x at power on

(Mac IIci only) Set date to 20 Sep 1989 to get a graphical easter egg

"Lockar" <loc...@nosppam.com> wrote in message

David Sankey

Dec 21, 2005, 4:38:28 AM12/21/05
In article <1h7w6jr.1f6nmt0nfeck4N%hairy...@gmail.com>,
hairy...@gmail.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

> Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca> wrote:
>
> > In article <201220051740494004%loc...@nosppam.com>, Lockar
> > <loc...@nosppam.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I thought this was the case as well. So I reinstalled the
> > > System software (7.01) with a reformat. Still turns on, but will not
> > > turn off unless I pull the plug. I am guessing it's a hardware issue.
> > > I thought it was a jumper some where that locked out shutdown.
> > >
> > > But from what you guys are telling me there is no such jumper.
> > > Figures I get a IIfx and it's defective! LOL
> >
> > Double check the power button at the back. I'm pretty sure there was a
> > lock mechanism that would stop shutdown and auto restart after a power
> > failure.
>
> Yeah, I said that bloody ages ago! ;-)

You did too.

Then someone said that the lock on the button came in with the IIci.

I've not got an fx to hand, but I'm pretty certain that it had the
locking power switch. Has a slot in it, that you could turn to lock it
in.

Dave

Andy Hewitt

Dec 21, 2005, 2:10:29 PM12/21/05
David Sankey <D.P.C....@rl.ac.uk> wrote:

[Snipped Text]

> > > Double check the power button at the back. I'm pretty sure there was a
> > > lock mechanism that would stop shutdown and auto restart after a power
> > > failure.
> >
> > Yeah, I said that bloody ages ago! ;-)
>
> You did too.
>
> Then someone said that the lock on the button came in with the IIci.
>
> I've not got an fx to hand, but I'm pretty certain that it had the
> locking power switch. Has a slot in it, that you could turn to lock it
> in.

OK, it sounds like nobody here is too sure, how about suggesting that
the OP has a physical look at the back of the machine and see if there
is a button there? It can't take up too much time, wastes no disk space,
and won't involve removing the casing.

Or is that a daft suggestion?

David C.

Dec 22, 2005, 2:19:09 AM12/22/05
David Sankey <D.P.C....@rl.ac.uk> writes:

> Then someone said that the lock on the button came in with the IIci.

Quite a lot of models had this.

I know the IIci did. I know my Quadra 840av does. I think most models
without mechanical power switches from the 68K era have this feature.

-- David

David Sankey

Dec 22, 2005, 4:08:13 AM12/22/05
In article <1h7xomw.1fb6cub1vhw0xsN%hairy...@gmail.com>,
hairy...@gmail.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

> OK, it sounds like nobody here is too sure, how about suggesting that
> the OP has a physical look at the back of the machine and see if there
> is a button there? It can't take up too much time, wastes no disk space,
> and won't involve removing the casing.
>
> Or is that a daft suggestion?

I thought that that was what you and I were suggesting...

But as I haven't managed to find any IIfx manuals in my stash (did find
a Mac Plus manual tho'!) I will check next time I'm near a real one just
to satisfy my curiosity.

Dave

Hauke Fath

Dec 22, 2005, 6:05:31 AM12/22/05
David C. <sha...@techie.com> wrote:

[lockable power button]

> I know the IIci did. I know my Quadra 840av does.

Add the IIsi, the IIcx and the IIvx. But those are all 'compact' form
factor Mac IIs. Anybody with a II or IIx, if not IIfx?

hauke

David C.

Dec 26, 2005, 2:10:29 PM12/26/05
spam...@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE (Hauke Fath) writes:

According to:

it has a soft power switch. But according to:

it does not support auto-power-on without hacking the power supply.

Obviously, later model Macs used a different power supply, which is why
they do support auto-power-on via the locking button on the back of the
case.

-- David