Problems with installation of the OS

yar...@googlemail.com

Sep 5, 2007, 12:39:24 PM9/5/07
A couple of weeks ago I was given a G4 AGP model without a hard drive.
I bought one and installed it. Then, on my PC I burned the .dmg image
of the 9.2 system using MagicISO. Now when I switch the Mac on I'm
just getting a grey screen with blinking icon in the middle with a
question mark. What does it mean. I never had a Mac before so I've got
no idea how to install the system. Can someone help please?
yaro

J.J. O'Shea

Sep 5, 2007, 1:27:04 PM9/5/07
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:39:24 -0400, yar...@googlemail.com wrote
(in article <1189010364.2...@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com>):

The blinking questionmark means that you don't have a bootable disc. It might
be that the DMG image was not bootable. It might be that the Windows burner
didn't burn the image correctly. It could be many things. Insufficient data
to determine what it is.

Perhaps you should get a real OS 9 or OS X disc.

Bill

Sep 5, 2007, 5:15:07 PM9/5/07
In article <0001HW.C3045F28...@newsgroups.comcast.net>,

I will add that the Mac files have two forks, a data fork and a resource
fork. The Mac disk structure keeps the two forks together. The DOS disk
structure does not.

This makes no difference for a document file such as a JPEG or a word
processing document etc, as the resource fork in contains no essential
data. However, it makes a big difference for an application program.

If you pass a Mac application program, and certainly the Mac OS through
a DOS disk, it will be destroyed.

You can safely pass a packaged file such as a zipped file (and probably
a .dmg file) through the DOS filing system.

Also, where did you get the OS 9.2 that you burned, and in what form?

In any case, you should purchase a retail copy of the OS. It is theft to
do otherwise.

--
For email, change <fake> to <earthlink>
Bill Collins