turn off mouse acceleration under OS X

Timberwoof

May 8, 2002, 8:41:06 PM5/8/02
The threshold at which the OS X mouse changes its speed and the way I
use my mouse really irritates the hell out of me; I end up always
missingmy target and getting a stiff wrist afetr a while. I want my
mouse to respond linearly.

How can I turn off mouse acceleration under OS X?

--
Timberwoof <timberwoof at infernosoft dot com> Chief Perpetrator
Infernosoft: Putting the No in Innovation. http://www.infernosoft.com

Ken Prager

May 9, 2002, 12:38:34 AM5/9/02
In article <timberwoof.spam-79...@typhoon.sonic.net>,
Timberwoof <timberw...@infernosoft.com> wrote:

> The threshold at which the OS X mouse changes its speed and the way I
> use my mouse really irritates the hell out of me; I end up always
> missingmy target and getting a stiff wrist afetr a while. I want my
> mouse to respond linearly.
>
> How can I turn off mouse acceleration under OS X?

System Prefs -> Hardware -> Mouse

--
Remove _me_ for e-mail address

Woofbert

May 9, 2002, 4:06:11 AM5/9/02
In article <l3nC8.875$c6....@bos-service2.ext.raytheon.com>,
Ken Prager <prage...@ieee.org> wrote:

And then what?

I already tried that. There there are three controls: a Tracking Speed
slider, a Double-Click Speed slider, and a button that says
"Double-click here to test." There's no control for mouse acceleration,
which is not the same as tracking speed. No matter what tracking speed I
set, the mouse still has nonlinear response to my movements.

--
Woofbert, Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
Now that Mac OS is based on Unix, does that mean we have to adopt the same

Ken Prager

May 9, 2002, 8:23:59 AM5/9/02
In article <woofbert.spam-6B1...@typhoon.sonic.net>,
Woofbert <woofbe...@infernosoft.com> wrote:

> In article <l3nC8.875$c6....@bos-service2.ext.raytheon.com>,
> Ken Prager <prage...@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <timberwoof.spam-79...@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> > Timberwoof <timberw...@infernosoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The threshold at which the OS X mouse changes its speed and the way I
> > > use my mouse really irritates the hell out of me; I end up always
> > > missingmy target and getting a stiff wrist afetr a while. I want my
> > > mouse to respond linearly.
> > >
> > > How can I turn off mouse acceleration under OS X?
> >
> > System Prefs -> Hardware -> Mouse
>
> And then what?
>
> I already tried that. There there are three controls: a Tracking Speed
> slider, a Double-Click Speed slider, and a button that says
> "Double-click here to test." There's no control for mouse acceleration,
> which is not the same as tracking speed. No matter what tracking speed I
> set, the mouse still has nonlinear response to my movements.

You didn't mention that you already tried that...

It appears that the current mouse drive doesn't provide hooks to change
the acceleration mode (like the old ADB mouse driver). You can only
change the acceleration scaling.

However, the PrefPane MouseZoom will give you more control over that
scaling. It may help. MouseZoom is available from...

<http://homepage.mac.com/bhines/mousezoom.html>

KP