Trouble opening Google with IE on OS 9.2

mas...@cooper.edu

Jun 8, 2007, 12:43:40 PM6/8/07
to comp.sys.mac.apps
Hello,

One of our employees has an eMac that is running on OS 9.2 and uses IE
5.1 as her main web browser. Today she tried to open IE (with Google
as her homepage) and the entire computer froze. IE works fine when
opening up other websites as the homepage but whenever she tries to
access Google the computer freezes up again. I know after the launch
of iGoogle, OS 9 has been having problems with Google but until now
it's just been display issues. Has anyone else experienced the same
problem or knows what may be causing the freeze-up?

Right now she's working just fine with a different home page and an
alternate search engine but she likes Google best and would eventually
like to be able to use it again.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Angela

Jon

Jun 8, 2007, 12:47:16 PM6/8/07
<mas...@cooper.edu> wrote:

> Any help would be much appreciated!

Install minimum 640 MB RAM in that eMac and upgrade to at least Mac OS X
10.3.9. Best advice I can give. (Serious)
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:

Jolly Roger

Jun 8, 2007, 1:05:57 PM6/8/07
On 2007-06-08 11:43:40 -0500, mas...@cooper.edu said:

> One of our employees has an eMac that is running on OS 9.2 and uses IE
> 5.1 as her main web browser.

Apple no longer supports or updates Mac OS 9.2. Microsoft no longer
supports or updates Internet Explorer on Mac OS. Your employee is
using ancient, outdated versions of an operating system and a web
browser. You probably won't get much help with this issue from anyone
as a result. Nothing personal - that's just the way it is.

My advice: Get over whatever is causing you to hesitate, and go ahead
and upgrade her eMac to Mac OS X 10.4. If you need help with *that*,
feel free to ask here! : )

--
JR

meow

Jun 8, 2007, 1:07:54 PM6/8/07
mastro wrote:

> One of our employees has an eMac that is running on OS 9.2 and uses IE
> 5.1 as her main web browser. Today she tried to open IE (with Google
> as her homepage) and the entire computer froze. IE works fine when
> opening up other websites as the homepage but whenever she tries to
> access Google the computer freezes up again. I know after the launch
> of iGoogle, OS 9 has been having problems with Google but until now
> it's just been display issues. Has anyone else experienced the same
> problem or knows what may be causing the freeze-up?

Google makes extensive use of Javascript; that is what is causing the
crashes.

> Right now she's working just fine with a different home page and an
> alternate search engine but she likes Google best and would eventually
> like to be able to use it again.

I find that Netscape 7 works well:
http://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape7/english/7.02/mac/macos8/sea/Netscape-mac-full.bin

There's also iCab:
http://www.icab.de/dl.php

nospamatall

Jun 8, 2007, 1:56:34 PM6/8/07
If she wouldn't mind using Mozilla, the noscript plug-in would probably
work, just disallow Google. Otherwise, see if there is a pref in IE that
will let you block scripts on a certain site.

Andy

Randall Ainsworth

Jun 9, 2007, 12:10:17 PM6/9/07
In article <1181321020.6...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
<mas...@cooper.edu> wrote:

Using seven-year-old software could be a problem.

idel...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2007, 12:59:58 PM6/9/07
Carbonized IE on OSX - if I disable Show Style Sheets in Web Content
Tab
then it loads Google.

Page looks funny now, but at least it doesn't freeze the browser.

There is that option 'Use my style sheet'. I don't know about
StyleSheets enough to understand possibilities this option could give
me ;) but, maybe someone here can make a suggestion or two?

On Jun 8, 6:43 pm, mas...@cooper.edu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of our employees has an eMac that is running on OS 9.2 and usesIE
> 5.1 as her main web browser. Today she tried to openIE(withGoogle

> as her homepage) and the entire computer froze.IEworks fine when

> opening up other websites as the homepage but whenever she tries to

> accessGooglethe computer freezes up again. I know after the launch
> of iGoogle, OS 9 has been having problems withGooglebut until now

> it's just been display issues. Has anyone else experienced the same
> problem or knows what may be causing the freeze-up?
>
> Right now she's working just fine with a different home page and an

> alternate search engine but she likesGooglebest and would eventually

Message has been deleted

CanonLaw

Jun 15, 2007, 10:00:38 AM6/15/07
On Jun 8, 9:43 am, mas...@cooper.edu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of our employees has an eMac that is running on OS 9.2 and uses IE
> 5.1 as her main web browser. Today she tried to open IE (withGoogle
> as her homepage) and the entire computer froze. IE works fine when
> opening up other websites as the homepage but whenever she tries to
> accessGooglethe computer freezes up again. I know after the launch
> of iGoogle, OS 9 has been having problems withGooglebut until now

> it's just been display issues. Has anyone else experienced the same
> problem or knows what may be causing the freeze-up?
>
> Right now she's working just fine with a different home page and an
> alternate search engine but she likesGooglebest and would eventually

> like to be able to use it again.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Angela

I didn't see if this had been answered yet, but go to www.google.ca
and that should work for you. This happened to our whole school
district and since we have a ton of Macs, people were in a panic. But
for now, www.google.ca seems to still work. I imagine it is only a
matter of time before Google "fixes" this site too though.

mylenso...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2007, 10:16:49 AM6/18/07
Thanks everyone! The issue has temporarily been solved until we can
upgrade the computer to OSX