Spy++ on mac.

Gopala

Jan 17, 2007, 11:33:05 PM1/17/07
Hi All,
I am new to Mac programming. I want to know whether there is a
tool in Mac like Spy++ in windows. Spy++, given a window handle, shows
all the properties of that window. Also, it has a tool using which we
can select the window in UI.
Also, How do I make the UI controls of Mac Unicode enabled? That
means, If i change my UI input language to Japanese, my textbox, for
example, should take input in Japanese and display the characters.
Also, i must be able to get the text entered by the user in Japanese
only. How do i achieve that in Mac? Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,
Gopala

David Phillip Oster

Jan 18, 2007, 12:57:46 AM1/18/07
In article <1169094785....@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com>,
"Gopala" <mpgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to Mac programming. I want to know whether there is a
> tool in Mac like Spy++ in windows. Spy++, given a window handle, shows
> all the properties of that window. Also, it has a tool using which we
> can select the window in UI.

Spy++-like tools aren't widely used on the Mac, because one program
manipulating another program's U.I. is a security hole, and because
unlike MS-Windows, Macintosh Controls are not sub-windows. See:

http://www.apple.com/applescript/uiscripting/

> Also, How do I make the UI controls of Mac Unicode enabled? That
> means, If i change my UI input language to Japanese, my textbox, for
> example, should take input in Japanese and display the characters.
> Also, i must be able to get the text entered by the user in Japanese
> only. How do i achieve that in Mac? Thanks for any help in advance.

If you are programming in Cocoa, all the text fields, both editable and
non-editable are already enabled for Unicode. You can open the unicode
table on the Input Menu panel of the International Panel of System
Preferences, and use the Palettes to enter any Unicode character to your
heart's content.

Gopala

Jan 18, 2007, 2:57:37 AM1/18/07
Thanks,

I am not using CoCoa. I am using Carbon. The problem is that we are
not able to see the font in which we are inputting. For example, if i
change the language to Chinese and give some string to, for example, a
data browser control, it shows junk. What should i do here?

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Gopala.

David Phillip Oster

Jan 18, 2007, 10:12:15 AM1/18/07
In article <1169107057.5...@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Gopala" <mpgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not using CoCoa. I am using Carbon. The problem is that we are
> not able to see the font in which we are inputting. For example, if i
> change the language to Chinese and give some string to, for example, a
> data browser control, it shows junk. What should i do here?

Look in ControlDefinitions.h Are you using
CreateEditUnicodeTextControl() and CFStringRef s?

And is you are still using Dialog Manager, you can put them in your
dialogs with CNTL resources, once you know that:
kControlEditUnicodeTextProc = 912,
kControlEditUnicodeTextPasswordProc = 914