creating install package

p2

Jan 2, 2007, 1:59:00 AM1/2/07
hi
any body have idea

how can i create install packge in MAC ?

like in window i can create install package using "InstallShield" ..

Is there any tool that create install package same way ?

p2

Sherm Pendley

Jan 2, 2007, 3:28:58 AM1/2/07
"p2" <pradip...@einfochips.com> writes:

> Is there any tool that create install package same way ?

Having never used Install Shield, I don't know if it works in the same way
or not, but there are two options that I know of, both of them free:

Package Maker is a tool bundled with Xcode and installed in
/Developer/Applications/Utilities

An alternative is Stéphane Sudre's Iceberg, found here:

<http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Iceberg.html>

Iceberg is, IMHO, the more elegant and better thought-out of the two. One
major advantage it has is that it drastically simplifies the creation of
meta-package bundles - those are the ones that allow the user to choose an
"advanced" install and select from the available sub-packages.

Regardless of which tool you use to create your installer package, be sure
to have a look at Apple's "Software Delivery Guide", either on the web at:

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution/index.html>

Or, on your HD, at:

<file:///Developer/ADC%20Reference%20Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution/index.html>

The copy on your HD is more convenient for offline reading, but may not have
the latest up-to-the-minute updates.

sherm--

p2

Jan 2, 2007, 5:27:57 AM1/2/07
hi thanks for look in,

i got Package Maker and successfully created install package..

but one other problem is remaining is as follow

How to create un-installer ?

i find it but not able to get

p2

Gregory Weston

Jan 2, 2007, 7:56:08 AM1/2/07
In article <1167733677.3...@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
"p2" <pradip...@einfochips.com> wrote:

> hi thanks for look in,
>
> i got Package Maker and successfully created install package..
>
> but one other problem is remaining is as follow
>
> How to create un-installer ?

Very few Mac programs need an uninstaller. All but the newest Mac users
know this (and the rest learn it quickly after an initial gasp of
disbelief) and will expect to simply drag the program to the trash when
they wan to get rid of it.

For that matter, very little Mac software needs an installer. Unless
proper installation of your product requires multiple files to be placed
in specific locations on the user's machine, you really shouldn't have
one. And if your product is an application (as opposed to a plugin of
some kind) that does need such an installation, you might better spend
your time figuring out if it really needs to be that way rather then
spend time on creating an installer and uninstaller.

The best intentions in the world don't make a flawed argument magically valid.

p2

Jan 2, 2007, 8:50:16 AM1/2/07
ya i really need Uninstaller ,

because i have not only .app file ,also i have some other file which is
at different location.
p2

p2

Reinder Verlinde

Jan 2, 2007, 2:03:26 PM1/2/07

In article <1167745816.3...@a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
"p2" <pradip...@einfochips.com> replied:

> ya i really need Uninstaller ,
>
> because i have not only .app file ,also i have some other file which is
> at different location.
> p2

I can not tell from your answer, but have you really thought about this?
Oftentimes, newcomers to a platform search for a solution similar to
solutions they know about, while there may be a way to reach the same
goal in a way that is both more appropriate to the platform and easier
to implement. The final answer may still be 'use an installer', but if
you tell the group what that 'some other file' is for, they might be
able to help you better.

Reinder

Andrew

Jan 6, 2007, 8:08:59 PM1/6/07

Out of curiosity, where are you putting this file?

p2

Jan 11, 2007, 6:43:22 AM1/11/07
i put the files as per following location

1. /Applications/
2. /Library/PDF Services/
3. /Library/Application Support/

so on un-install ,i want to remove this files

p2