Universal binary hangs on opposite architecture of build machine

Paul Miller

Nov 15, 2006, 2:51:35 PM11/15/06
Here is a weird one.

I am building a Universal Binary - when building it on my PPC G5 it runs
fine on that machine but "hangs" on my Intel MacBook. If I build it on
my MacBook it runs fine there but "hangs" on my G5. By "hang" I mean the
icon shows up in the dock but it just sits there and never finishes
launching.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Ben Artin

Nov 15, 2006, 4:55:47 PM11/15/06
In article <idK6h.21771$822....@fe163.usenetserver.com>,
Paul Miller <pa...@fxtech.com> wrote:

Where does it hang? You can find out by sampling it from Activity Monitor.

Ben

from my wish list: <http://artins.org/ben/wishlist>

I changed my name: <http://periodic-kingdom.org/People/NameChange.php>

Paul Miller

Nov 15, 2006, 8:29:16 PM11/15/06
Ben Artin wrote:
> In article <idK6h.21771$822....@fe163.usenetserver.com>,
> Paul Miller <pa...@fxtech.com> wrote:
>
>> I am building a Universal Binary - when building it on my PPC G5 it runs
>> fine on that machine but "hangs" on my Intel MacBook. If I build it on
>> my MacBook it runs fine there but "hangs" on my G5. By "hang" I mean the
>> icon shows up in the dock but it just sits there and never finishes
>> launching.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas for me?
>
> Where does it hang? You can find out by sampling it from Activity Monitor.

Right off the bat - during load. I've narrowed it down to something
fishy relating to Qt (Trolltech). I've got a support issue into them.

Michael Ash

Nov 15, 2006, 10:56:30 PM11/15/06

I think we got that from the "never finishes launching". The idea of
sampling it was to get a *specific* place. Applications do approximately
eleventy billion things when they start, so knowing which particular thing
is hanging will be useful when debugging the hang.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software

Barry McMullan

Nov 20, 2006, 6:38:38 AM11/20/06
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:56:30 -0700, Michael Ash wrote
(in article <11636493...@nfs-db1.segnet.com>):

I'm having the same problem. Not only with trying to run the program on the
same type of machine (intel vs. ppc), but also trying to run the program on a
different machine with the same processor. It will only run on the machine
where the Project is.

This happens not only with the main project I am working on, but also with
the simplest project I create using the standard templates in XCode
(Cocoa-Application).

From within the Console App is see that a crash log is created at this
location.

Users/<UserName>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/<AppName>.crash.log

Looking at the log it looks like a "Zerolink" problem, which I'm assuming has
something to do with the build settings that I have that must be XCode wide
(as opposed to any given project).

bwm

barry.m...@mac.com