Best duplexing personal laser printers: the results!

Newbie

Oct 29, 2005, 2:52:52 AM10/29/05
I thank everyone who has helped me in this search. After many visits to
show-rooms and much comparative reading of features and reviews, I have
my list of three "best" duplexing personal laser printers. I am happy
to share it with everyone, please take it for what it may be worth.

3. HP 1320
This is a decent choice. Well made, compact. The supremely clumsy
single-feed slot is almost a deal-breaker. HP's consummable costs are
higher than others. List is $399 but with a $100 rebate, can be had
online for around $225. An updated model may be in the pipeline.

2. Kyocera FS-1020D
Available for around $340, this is considerably better made. Designed
by Porsche. Consummables are cheapest too. The drum is good for
100,000 pages. Postscript built-in. It appeared in Oct'03 and may be
updated soon.

1. Brother 5250DN

Of course you can buy the current 51xx models, but the best deal is
around the corner. For $249, the forthcoming 5250DN will have
blindingly fast speed (30 ppm), networking built-in (an expensive
option with HP and Kyocera). Should be in stores in a few weeks. Catch?
The drum life is 20,000 pages. When it rubs out, you'd probably want to
buy a new printer (not such a bad idea; the technology, especially
color printing, continues to evolve fast).

My choice: I am going to wait for Brother 5250DN. I love the Kyocera
but it is slower, $100 more, and though ruggedly built, I am not
running a multi-person office and don't need to use the 2003 technology
for the next 15-20 years!

If either HP or Kyocera, but especially the latter, announces a new
model in the nest few weeks I'll certainly look at it. Otherwise it is
Brother 5250DN for me.

(Two clarifications:
My shprt list reflects my need for duplexing. If you don't need it,
then cheaper models are available in each line.
By the same token, Brother will also have higher models, $299 model for
an extra paper tray, and $349 for wireless. You don't want to know how
much these options will cost in the other two lines!)