Can the TiBook not use its own screen?

RockyRoad

Oct 20, 2002, 6:22:30 PM10/20/02
On my pismo, if I connect it to an external display (or projector) and
then boot it up with the lid closed, it leaves its own LCD screen
inactive (turned off) and devotes all the video RAM and power to the
external screen.

This is good for high end gaming and stuff where running two screens
slows the video down too much.

Does the tiBook do this?

--
Rocky Road - in Oz

John Johnson

Oct 20, 2002, 7:42:06 PM10/20/02
In article <Rockyroad-AB9E2...@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
RockyRoad <Rock...@invalid.com.invalid> wrote:

I own a Pismo, and it doesn't do this. I believe that this is the
behavior if you are playing a DVD (maybe any MPEG-2 stream?) but my
machine mirrors displays and can use an external display/projector as an
extended desktop as well.

Later.

Tom Beer

Oct 20, 2002, 7:58:24 PM10/20/02
RockyRoad wrote in message ...

>On my pismo, if I connect it to an external display (or projector) and
>then boot it up with the lid closed, it leaves its own LCD screen
>inactive (turned off) and devotes all the video RAM and power to the
>external screen.

INAE, but I would think that video mirroring wouldn't use any more RAM or
processing power than using a single screen.

Tom.

RockyRoad

Oct 21, 2002, 12:54:13 AM10/21/02
In article <johajohn-C6C6F5...@news.indiana.edu>,
John Johnson <joha...@indiana.edu> wrote:

On a pismo, if you connect it to an external monitor, hit the power
button and quickly close the lid, it will boot up with the internal
screen deactivated.

I own one too.

RockyRoad

Oct 21, 2002, 12:56:46 AM10/21/02
In article <aovfv1$ke2$1...@merki.connect.com.au>,
"Tom Beer" <tom....@btfinancialgroup.spamfilter.com> wrote:

You would think so but it does. If I want to use the G-Force visualizer
on a projector it is slow and jumpy when the screen is mirroring.
Disable the screen by booting up with the lid down and it runs well.

Same with games, powerpoint and DVD's.

It must actually split the video RAM between the two outputs even though
they are mirrored.

John Johnson

Oct 21, 2002, 9:15:33 AM10/21/02
In article <Rockyroad-8C1CC...@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
RockyRoad <Rock...@invalid.com.invalid> wrote:

I should have been more explicit: I was pointing out that this behavior
is not the ONLY way to use a projector. I do know that one can run
without the internal LCD active. Thanks for making the point clear.

Back to the OP's question, I assume (never having tried it) that the
TiBook has all of the same capabilities video-wise as the Pismo.

Later.

John W. Bast

Oct 21, 2002, 6:07:22 PM10/21/02

RockyRoad, Rock...@invalid.com.invalid writes:
>On my pismo, if I connect it to an external display (or projector) and
>then boot it up with the lid closed, it leaves its own LCD screen
>inactive (turned off) and devotes all the video RAM and power to the
>external screen.

>This is good for high end gaming and stuff where running two screens

>slows the video down too much.

>Does the tiBook do this?

Yes, though mine is occasionally a little flaky and in order to run the
external monitor, I have to leave the tiBook lid unlatched. (I don't
mind: it's better for cooling, anyway).

At work, I have a 19" monitor (usually at 1024x768, though I change this
from time to time) connected most of the time, and use both screens. From
time to time I use only the 19", usually when I'm demonstrating something
and people don't want to be bothered to change their viewing angle as
regards the TiBook screen (or I don't think they can get their minds
around the larger-desktop concept). Last week I was doing presentation
work and used the projector as a single screen (I wanted my tiBook screen
off so as not to distract the audience, who were behind me).

MOST handy that the tiBook is smart enough to change monitor modes simply
by going to sleep and waking up in the new mode!

Regards,

John Bast
Windsor, Ontario

Collin Grove

Oct 23, 2002, 2:13:52 PM10/23/02
On 10/20/02 18:22, in article
Rockyroad-AB9E2...@nasal.pacific.net.au, "RockyRoad"
<Rock...@invalid.com.invalid> wrote:

When I got my TiBook, I read on Apple's website that you could not close the
LCD screen on the 'books and use an external monitor. Their reasoning was
that the G4 processor produced too much heat, and the excessive heat would
damage the LCD screen. Try playing a video game for 20 minutes and the fan
is in high gear...then touch the middle-back of the computer, and the right
speaker area...it's hot enough to fry an egg!

-Collin

RockyRoad

Oct 27, 2002, 2:33:21 AM10/27/02
In article <johajohn-A3EEE0...@news.indiana.edu>,
John Johnson <joha...@indiana.edu> wrote:

Ah OK. The problem with the Pismo is that it's 8Mb of video RAM often
leaves it short when driving two screens, even for things such as
powerpoint. I'm sure the current TiBooks rarely see this problem.

Avelino Santa Ana Jr.

Oct 27, 2002, 12:48:25 PM10/27/02
In article <B9DC5F20.3F02%grov...@osu.edu>,
Collin Grove <grov...@osu.edu> wrote:

You can leave the lid closed long enough to start/wake up the computer.
Then open it once the computer is using only the external display. I
use to do it all the time at work. As long as you don't leave the
TiBook running with the lid closed, you don't have to worry about heat.
Once the TiBook is up and running, opening the lid won't turn the
internal display on.

RockyRoad

Oct 29, 2002, 7:19:29 AM10/29/02
In article <a2dajNOSPAM-F782...@netnews.attbi.com>,

"Avelino Santa Ana Jr." <a2daj...@DEEPFRIEDSPAMmac.com> wrote:

> You can leave the lid closed long enough to start/wake up the computer.
> Then open it once the computer is using only the external display. I
> use to do it all the time at work. As long as you don't leave the
> TiBook running with the lid closed, you don't have to worry about heat.
> Once the TiBook is up and running, opening the lid won't turn the
> internal display on.

That's what I wanted to know.

Thanks a lot.

Eric Salathe

Oct 30, 2002, 3:03:49 PM10/30/02
RockyRoad <Rock...@invalid.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<Rockyroad-AB9E2...@nasal.pacific.net.au>...

> On my pismo, if I connect it to an external display (or projector) and
> then boot it up with the lid closed, it leaves its own LCD screen
> inactive (turned off) and devotes all the video RAM and power to the
> external screen.
>
> Does the tiBook do this?

Yes.

From the G4 PowerBook manual
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50120>:

Using Your PowerBook With the Display Closed

You can use your PowerBook with the display closed if the computer is
connected to an
external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the power adapter. To operate
your computer with an external monitor attached and the display
closed, do the following:

1 Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your PowerBook.
2 Close the PowerBook display to put the computer to sleep.
3 Follow the steps in the previous section to connect your PowerBook
to an external monitor.
4 Wait a few seconds and then press any key on the external keyboard
to wake the PowerBook.

I've never seen so many people say so much to not answer a simple
question.

Eric Salathe