Mac automatically boots to Vista; "Option" key does nothing

ryanm...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2008, 5:51:44 PM1/20/08
Ok, so the subject says it all. I'm running Leopard on an iMac (with
the new keyboard) and installed Vista using Boot Camp to help me with
the partition. Vista installed just fine but unfortunately the
"option" key doesn't work for some reason so when I turn the computer
on I can't choose which OS to boot. Instead, I automatically boot
into Vista and I have no idea how to gain access to my Mac partition.

I'm sure there's an easy answer for this problem but I sure have had a
hell of time finding it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Message has been deleted

David Empson

Jan 20, 2008, 8:10:52 PM1/20/08
<ryanm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, so the subject says it all. I'm running Leopard on an iMac (with
> the new keyboard)

Did the keyboard come with the computer or did you buy it separately to
add to an older model?

If it is an older Mac model, the new keyboard might not be supported by
the firmware so it may not recognise it at startup.

> and installed Vista using Boot Camp to help me with the partition. Vista
> installed just fine but unfortunately the "option" key doesn't work for
> some reason so when I turn the computer on I can't choose which OS to
> boot. Instead, I automatically boot into Vista and I have no idea how to
> gain access to my Mac partition.

Is it a wired or wireless keyboard?

I was wondering if the wireless keyboard might be an issue, but I just
tried it with my Mac Mini (current model), and I was able to use the
Option key to get the startup disk selector.

I haven't tried it with Boot Camp, so there might be an issue such as a
wireless keyboard not being connected to the computer after Vista shuts
down, preventing the startup code from recognising the Option key. If
so, using a wired keyboard might work.

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

ryanm...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2008, 8:29:16 PM1/20/08
On Jan 20, 5:10 pm, demp...@actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:
> demp...@actrix.gen.nz

It's a wired, USB keyboard (the new iMac keyboard). It didn't
originally come with the computer, though. I bought it when I
upgraded to Leopard.

I might try to use a different keyboard regardless. Just have to find
one.

ryanm...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2008, 8:30:36 PM1/20/08
On Jan 20, 4:15 pm, Lewis <gkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article
> <40baf814-3c33-4680-b02a-283a96b29...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> There is a BootCamp icon in the task bar that allows you to set the
> startup to OS X.
>
> And if 'Option' is not working, you are either not pressing it soon
> enough, or not using a USB keyboard.
>
> --
> Bart: This is the worst day of my life.
> Homer: This is the worst day of your life SO FAR.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Mac portion of my computer
to change the startup disk.

David Empson

Jan 20, 2008, 9:35:58 PM1/20/08
<ryanm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 4:15 pm, Lewis <gkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <40baf814-3c33-4680-b02a-283a96b29...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > ryanmhe...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Ok, so the subject says it all. I'm running Leopard on an iMac (with
> > > the new keyboard) and installed Vista using Boot Camp to help me with
> > > the partition. Vista installed just fine but unfortunately the
> > > "option" key doesn't work for some reason so when I turn the computer
> > > on I can't choose which OS to boot. Instead, I automatically boot
> > > into Vista and I have no idea how to gain access to my Mac partition.
> >
> > > I'm sure there's an easy answer for this problem but I sure have had a
> > > hell of time finding it. Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > There is a BootCamp icon in the task bar that allows you to set the
> > startup to OS X.
> >
> > And if 'Option' is not working, you are either not pressing it soon
> > enough, or not using a USB keyboard.
>

> Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Mac portion of my computer
> to change the startup disk.

Lewis's point is that if you have installed the Windows drivers for Boot
Camp, then there is a BootCamp icon in the Windows task bar, which lets
you set the startup disk. (I can't confirm this - I've never used Boot
Camp.)

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

Jolly Roger

Jan 20, 2008, 9:37:25 PM1/20/08
In article
<2b571dfd-0794-4ea3...@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
ryanm...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Jan 20, 4:15 pm, Lewis <gkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <40baf814-3c33-4680-b02a-283a96b29...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> >

> > There is a BootCamp icon in the task bar that allows you to set the
> > startup to OS X.
>

> Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Mac portion of my computer
> to change the startup disk.

Read what he said again. He's talking about the Windows task bar!

Look in the Windows task bar for a way to set the startup disk.

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

JR

Hugh Gibbons

Jan 20, 2008, 10:02:10 PM1/20/08
In article
<2b571dfd-0794-4ea3...@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.co
m>,
ryanm...@gmail.com wrote:

You can select the startup disk from the control panel in Vista.

Message has been deleted

Neill Massello

Jan 21, 2008, 7:10:00 PM1/21/08
<ryanm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a wired, USB keyboard (the new iMac keyboard). It didn't
> originally come with the computer, though. I bought it when I
> upgraded to Leopard.

There are threads in Apple Discussions about startup problems with the
new USB aluminum keyboard, but most of them concern the mini, not the
iMac. Did you run the installer package on the disc provided with the
Apple USB aluminum keybaaord, and have you installed all the Apple
updates (10.5.1 and so forth) on your iMac?

When my mini was new several months ago, it would hang at boot if it got
a starup key press (Option or C) from my Apple USB aluminum keyboard.
This thread prompted me to try it again, and it now seems to be working
the way it's supposed to. I can only guess that some new EFI driver was
included in one of the updates, although I couldn't find any mention of
it in Apple's laconic documentation.

jack ak

Jan 21, 2008, 8:10:06 PM1/21/08

I have a new Intel Core 2 Duo iMac 7,1 with a wired keyboard and
a wireless Mighty Mouse, using OS X 10.5.1.

The keyboard forgets it has F13-F19 keys and some mouse buttons stop
working periodically. It takes a computer shutdown and restart to
correct the problem. I was hoping this problem would be corrected by
a software or firmware update, but that has not yet occurred.