Re: iMovie Crashes - HELP!

Message has been deleted

Edwin

May 9, 2007, 1:45:58 PM5/9/07
On May 9, 12:19 pm, "Dr. ''Q''" <n...@none.none> wrote:
> iMovie Crashes - HELP!
>
> I am trying to open my project in iMovie. It was working fine, then one
> day is keep crashing upon opening. Other imovie projects open okay...
> but this one keep crashing.
>
> Once in a while it will open, but then as soon as I select a clip, the
> beach ball spins and it crashes.
>
> What can I do to recover from this?

Replace your Mac with a Windows PC and run Windows Movie Maker
instead.

You're welcome.

Sandman

May 9, 2007, 2:28:02 PM5/9/07
In article <1178732758.8...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

To remedy that thing about it working occasionally? :-D

--
Sandman[.net]

Edwin

May 9, 2007, 4:48:05 PM5/9/07
On May 9, 1:28 pm, Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:
> In article <1178732758.886420.264...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

> Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> > On May 9, 12:19 pm, "Dr. ''Q''" <n...@none.none> wrote:
> > > iMovie Crashes - HELP!
>
> > > I am trying to open my project in iMovie. It was working fine, then one
> > > day is keep crashing upon opening. Other imovie projects open okay...
> > > but this one keep crashing.
>
> > > Once in a while it will open, but then as soon as I select a clip, the
> > > beach ball spins and it crashes.
>
> > > What can I do to recover from this?
>
> > Replace your Mac with a Windows PC and run Windows Movie Maker
> > instead.
>
> > You're welcome.
>
> To remedy that thing about it working occasionally? :-D

Yes, to remedy that thing about iMovie only working once and a
while. Replace it with a Windows PC running Windows Movie Maker, and
have it work all the time, every time.

You're welcome.

George Graves

May 9, 2007, 6:16:54 PM5/9/07
On Wed, 9 May 2007 10:45:58 -0700, Edwin wrote
(in article <1178732758.8...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):

And make a lousy movie with it because that's the only kind Windows Movie
maker can make!

Edwin

May 9, 2007, 6:23:46 PM5/9/07
On May 9, 5:16 pm, George Graves <gmgrav...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2007 10:45:58 -0700, Edwin wrote
> (in article <1178732758.886420.264...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):

According to the man who's never even looked at Windows Movie Maker,
let alone attempted to use it...

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 9, 2007, 6:45:46 PM5/9/07
On Wed, 9 May 2007 15:16:54 -0700, George Graves
<gmgr...@comcast.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:

Windows Movie Maker and iMovie aren't all that far apart in
capabilities. Both are pretty basic and primitive. But still its a
poor workman who blames his tools. I'm sure someone with an ounce of
determination could make a decent movie with either one.

--
"A president who breaks the law is a threat to the
very structure of our government."

Bill Clinton became eligible for reinstatement to the
bar on January 19,2006 after losing his law license
in 2001 for comitting perjury.

John Slade

May 9, 2007, 7:54:19 PM5/9/07

"Edwin" <thor...@juno.com> wrote in message

Edwin, when will you learn. Sandman is just as clueless as the rest of
the trolls that say everything on a PC and Windows is bad. I've been
ignoring Sandman for a while and you should too. These fools only argue for
the attention.

John

none

May 9, 2007, 11:26:35 PM5/9/07
Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Replace your Mac with a Windows PC and run Windows Movie Maker
> >> instead.
> >>
> >> You're welcome.
> >>

> >And make a lousy movie with it because that's the only kind Windows Movie
> >maker can make!
>
> Windows Movie Maker and iMovie aren't all that far apart in
> capabilities. Both are pretty basic and primitive. But still its a
> poor workman who blames his tools. I'm sure someone with an ounce of
> determination could make a decent movie with either one.

except movie maker is very primitive and cumbersome to use. even imovie
1.0 was years ahead of movie maker.

(movie maker - what a joke)

http://www.amherst.edu/it/software/moviemaker/images/mmwindow.gif

(imovie - a professional level tool that comes free with every mac)

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/string/imovie.png

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 9, 2007, 11:34:41 PM5/9/07
On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:26:35 -0600, none <a...@b.com> chose to bless us
with the following wisdom:

>Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow! They have different interfaces. Clearly the one with the spiffy
Apple logo is best because...well it has a spiffy Apple logo! What
more can you need?

Are you really sure that you want to label something that limits you
to one video track and three audio as a 'professional' app?
In actual use there's not much difference between them. If anything
Windows Movie Maker is a bit easier to use for most people new to
video editing because it doesn't try to give you the gloss of a
feature without the substance like iMovies does.
If you really want a decent, low cost video editor go buy Premiere
Elements for $90-$100. It blows both Windows Movie Maker and iMovie
out of the water without breaking a sweat.

shorty...@gmail.com

May 10, 2007, 2:25:58 AM5/10/07

or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
a mac or a pc rather what program you are using. imovie and windows
movie maker = suckiness, now on either a mac or a pc if you upgrade to
something awesome like premier pro or final cut then you are in
business, both are expensive but if you want a great quailty movie
they are the only way to go, i mean im sure there is less expensive
ones, but they are more than likely not preinstalled software.

none

May 10, 2007, 2:36:42 AM5/10/07
shorty...@gmail.com wrote:

> or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
> a mac or a pc rather what program you are using.

how can that be? the software is only 50% of the equation when you use a
program. windows is a nightmare to do video on, that's a well known fact.

> imovie and windows
> movie maker = suckiness

you don't know what you are talking about. iMovie is rather excellent
and good for most tasks.

> now on either a mac or a pc if you upgrade to
> something awesome like premier pro or final cut then you are in
> business, both are expensive but if you want a great quailty movie
> they are the only way to go, i mean im sure there is less expensive
> ones, but they are more than likely not preinstalled software.

quality isn't going to differ if you use iMovie or Final Cut they are
both HD. sure you can do fancier effects with Final Cut or Final Cut
Express, but the final quality will be exactly the same.

MuahMan

May 10, 2007, 4:50:52 AM5/10/07

"Mayor of R'lyeh" <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 9 May 2007 15:16:54 -0700, George Graves
> <gmgr...@comcast.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:
>
>>On Wed, 9 May 2007 10:45:58 -0700, Edwin wrote
>>(in article <1178732758.8...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):

>>> Replace your Mac with a Windows PC and run Windows Movie Maker
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> You're welcome.
>>>

>>And make a lousy movie with it because that's the only kind Windows Movie
>>maker can make!
>
> Windows Movie Maker and iMovie aren't all that far apart in
> capabilities. Both are pretty basic and primitive. But still its a
> poor workman who blames his tools. I'm sure someone with an ounce of
> determination could make a decent movie with either one.

Except the iMovie crashes constantly and is unusable.

MuahMan

May 10, 2007, 4:53:23 AM5/10/07

"none" <a...@b.com> wrote in message

> shorty...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
>> a mac or a pc rather what program you are using.
>
> how can that be? the software is only 50% of the equation when you use a
> program. windows is a nightmare to do video on, that's a well known fact.
>
>> imovie and windows
>> movie maker = suckiness
>
> you don't know what you are talking about. iMovie is rather excellent
> and good for most tasks.

Fucking hysterical. It can't do shit without crashing as the OP has so
clearly pointed out. iMovie is utter shit, like all Apple Apps. Only a
fucking retard would even attempt to use Apple Software. All Apple
customers should be euthanized Hitler style.

Dr. zara

May 10, 2007, 8:14:35 AM5/10/07

"none" <a...@b.com> wrote in message
> [...]

You're bleeding to death, but don't know you've been shot.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 10, 2007, 12:55:51 PM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 00:36:42 -0600, none <a...@b.com> chose to bless us
with the following wisdom:

>shorty...@gmail.com wrote:

>> or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
>> a mac or a pc rather what program you are using.
>
>how can that be? the software is only 50% of the equation when you use a
>program. windows is a nightmare to do video on, that's a well known fact.

Among Maccies who have never used Windows anyway. For everyone else,
not so much.

>> imovie and windows
>> movie maker = suckiness
>
>you don't know what you are talking about. iMovie is rather excellent
>and good for most tasks.

Its good for basic tasks but its one video track only really limits
you in what you can do.

>> now on either a mac or a pc if you upgrade to
>> something awesome like premier pro or final cut then you are in
>> business, both are expensive but if you want a great quailty movie
>> they are the only way to go, i mean im sure there is less expensive
>> ones, but they are more than likely not preinstalled software.
>
>quality isn't going to differ if you use iMovie or Final Cut they are
>both HD.

As is just about everything else these days.

> sure you can do fancier effects with Final Cut or Final Cut
>Express, but the final quality will be exactly the same.

As it will be in any other editor.

Message has been deleted

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 10, 2007, 1:19:19 PM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 12:02:14 -0500, Opus <op...@opus.opus> chose to

bless us with the following wisdom:

>In article <0001HW.C2679666...@news.comcast.net>,

>What are Windows users doing in a MACINTOSH GROUP?

Having a good time laughing at the Maccies who worship a mass produced
consumer product as if it were a god.

>That's what I don't understand.
>
>And why isn't anyone providing help for the guy with the original
>question?

First time here? The attitude amongst the Mac users in here is that
anyone who reports a problem with a Mac is a lying bit of scum who was
paid personally by Bill Gates to make Macs look bad.

>-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

MuahMan

May 10, 2007, 1:58:21 PM5/10/07

"Mayor of R'lyeh" <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote in message
LOL, That's funny stuff. Freakin' Maccies!!

Edwin

May 10, 2007, 2:41:16 PM5/10/07
On May 10, 12:02 pm, Opus <o...@opus.opus> wrote:
> In article <0001HW.C267966601A62556F0182...@news.comcast.net>,

> George Graves <gmgrav...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 9 May 2007 10:45:58 -0700, Edwin wrote
> > (in article <1178732758.886420.264...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):
> What are Windows users doing in a MACINTOSH GROUP?

That would be due to the fact this is an unmoderated group set up to
compare any and all systems with the Macintosh, not a private club for
Mac owners/users.

> That's what I don't understand.

Lack of understanding and Mac use seem to go hand in hand...

> And why isn't anyone providing help for the guy with the original
> question?

Because the MacTrolls who live here are only capable of bashing
Microsoft, not of doing anything productive.

Sandman

May 10, 2007, 2:42:25 PM5/10/07
In article <1178822476.4...@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

Edwin is quick to insult yet again!

--
Sandman[.net]

Laraine

May 10, 2007, 2:43:30 PM5/10/07

> Edwin, when will you learn. Sandman is just as clueless as the rest of
> the trolls that say everything on a PC and Windows is bad. I've been
> ignoring Sandman for a while and you should too. These fools only argue for
> the attention.
Well, John, I sure don't like my sister's Windows machine. It's always
crashing. My friends are also having tons of ttrouble with theirs.

Laraine
http://lbarker.orcon.net.nz

Laraine

May 10, 2007, 2:54:27 PM5/10/07

> or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
> a mac or a pc rather what program you are using. imovie and windows
> movie maker = suckiness, now on either a mac or a pc if you upgrade to
> something awesome like premier pro or final cut then you are in
> business, both are expensive but if you want a great quailty movie
> they are the only way to go, i mean im sure there is less expensive
> ones, but they are more than likely not preinstalled software.
Well, my husband Roger edited, on iMovie 4 (please note 4, not the
latest version, which, for those who don't know, is 6) a home-made
movie for a friend who has a PC (and who spent about $1700 buying
Adobe Premiere) and it received a compliment from none other than the
owner of Weta Studios (of Lord of the Rings fame). Roger uses iMovie 6
now, but our friend still hasn't worked out Premiere, whereas Roger
found out how iMovie works simply by using it. Sure, it can't do
everything that Final Cut (and no doubt Premiere) can do but it it
seems to fit all our needs.

Laraine
http://lbarker.orcon.net.nz

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 10, 2007, 2:56:01 PM5/10/07
On 10 May 2007 11:43:30 -0700, Laraine <lba...@orcon.net.nz> chose to

bless us with the following wisdom:

Of course they do, of course they do. No Maccie in existence has ever
seen a Windoiws machine that does anything but crash all the time. Its
a wonder how 95% of the world's work gets done on them.

>Laraine
>http://lbarker.orcon.net.nz

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 10, 2007, 3:02:47 PM5/10/07
On 10 May 2007 11:54:27 -0700, Laraine <lba...@orcon.net.nz> chose to

bless us with the following wisdom:

>> or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
>> a mac or a pc rather what program you are using. imovie and windows
>> movie maker = suckiness, now on either a mac or a pc if you upgrade to
>> something awesome like premier pro or final cut then you are in
>> business, both are expensive but if you want a great quailty movie
>> they are the only way to go, i mean im sure there is less expensive
>> ones, but they are more than likely not preinstalled software.
>Well, my husband Roger edited, on iMovie 4 (please note 4, not the
>latest version, which, for those who don't know, is 6) a home-made
>movie for a friend who has a PC (and who spent about $1700 buying
>Adobe Premiere) and it received a compliment from none other than the
>owner of Weta Studios (of Lord of the Rings fame).

Which really means nothing without the actual comment. 'This doesn't
suck as bad as your last effort' is a compliment afterall.

> Roger uses iMovie 6
>now, but our friend still hasn't worked out Premiere, whereas Roger
>found out how iMovie works simply by using it. Sure, it can't do
>everything that Final Cut (and no doubt Premiere) can do but it it
>seems to fit all our needs.

So the issue is really that your friend hasn't taken the time to learn
the professional level program that he bought while you find using the
beginner level one easier.
Despite that you still tried to make it a PC vs. Mac issue.

>Laraine
>http://lbarker.orcon.net.nz

Edwin

May 10, 2007, 3:03:14 PM5/10/07

The ability of a Windows machine to work properly is inversely
proportional to how much its user likes the Mac.

Laraine

May 10, 2007, 3:12:12 PM5/10/07
I'll ask my husband how you can join his iMovie group and get back to
you. They might be the best people to help solve your problem.

Laraine
http://lbarker.orcon.net

Edwin

May 10, 2007, 5:39:55 PM5/10/07
On May 10, 1:42 pm, Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:
> In article <1178822476.466470.193...@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,

What insult? I've merely stated a fact learned by reading your posts
in particular, and those of Mac Advocates in general.

Edwin

May 10, 2007, 5:48:39 PM5/10/07
On May 10, 1:36 am, none <a...@b.com> wrote:

> shortysha...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
> > a mac or a pc rather what program you are using.
>
> how can that be? the software is only 50% of the equation when you use a
> program. windows is a nightmare to do video on, that's a well known > fact.

You have your claims confused with facts. Apple is a Johny-come-
lately to the video world with the program they bought and turned into
FCP. Avid et al have been doing video for years on PCs before Apple
showed up very late to the party.

> > imovie and windows
> > movie maker = suckiness
>
> you don't know what you are talking about. iMovie is rather excellent
> and good for most tasks.

The OP finds that it crashes. Others tell you it has nothing you
won't find in Windows Movie Maker.

> > now on either a mac or a pc if you upgrade to
> > something awesome like premier pro or final cut then you are in
> > business, both are expensive but if you want a great quailty movie
> > they are the only way to go, i mean im sure there is less expensive
> > ones, but they are more than likely not preinstalled software.
>
> quality isn't going to differ if you use iMovie or Final Cut they are
> both HD. sure you can do fancier effects with Final Cut or Final Cut
> Express, but the final quality will be exactly the same.

That's sort of like claiming a toy wagon and a dump truck both have
the same "quality."

George Graves

May 10, 2007, 8:55:31 PM5/10/07
On Wed, 9 May 2007 15:23:46 -0700, Edwin wrote
(in article <1178749426.0...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>):

Clairvoyant AGAIN, Edwin? FYI, I helped My Alfa club president put together a
yearly retrospective of the club's activities for our Christmas party last
December. He was using the latest Windows Movie Maker. We spent the ENTIRE
weekend trying to get transitions and titles to work smoothly on the piece of
shit and were, in the end, only marginally successful. I told him that the
next time, if he wanted my help, we'd edit the video at MY house using the
Mac and iMovie. No, Edwin. I've never used Windows Movie Maker (I wish).

George Graves

May 10, 2007, 8:58:56 PM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 05:14:35 -0700, Dr. zara wrote
(in article <y0E0i.40$nh...@bignews3.bellsouth.net>):

He's right. The results, quality wise, will be identical. The bigger apps
will have more features but the quality of the resultant image should be the
same whether one is using iMovie or Final Cut.

George Graves

May 10, 2007, 8:59:40 PM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:48:39 -0700, Edwin wrote
(in article <1178833719.2...@e51g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):

You sure don't know what you are talking about here, Edlose.

George Graves

May 10, 2007, 9:00:14 PM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:54:27 -0700, Laraine wrote
(in article <1178823267.2...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>):

Yep.

George Graves

May 10, 2007, 9:01:17 PM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:50:52 -0700, MuahMan wrote
(in article <R76dncqa54xwQd_b...@adelphia.com>):

That's funny. I use it all the time. I've never seen it crash.

George Graves

May 10, 2007, 9:03:40 PM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:39:55 -0700, Edwin wrote
(in article <1178833194.9...@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>):

If you Winscum didn't post here, we'd likely rarely even mention Microsoft in
this group. You don't like to see us bash M$ and Windows? Easy, don't come
here.

Alan Baker

May 10, 2007, 9:42:20 PM5/10/07
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> On May 10, 1:36 am, none <a...@b.com> wrote:
> > shortysha...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
> > > a mac or a pc rather what program you are using.
> >
> > how can that be? the software is only 50% of the equation when you use a
> > program. windows is a nightmare to do video on, that's a well known >
> > fact.
>
> You have your claims confused with facts. Apple is a Johny-come-
> lately to the video world with the program they bought and turned into
> FCP. Avid et al have been doing video for years on PCs before Apple
> showed up very late to the party.

If you're going to talk about that, perhaps you should mention that Avid
came to the party on the Mac first:

"Founded by a marketing manager from Apollo Computer, Inc., William J.
Warner, a prototype of their first digital nonlinear editing system (the
Avid/1) was shown in a private suite at the National Association of
Broadcasters (NAB) convention in April 1988. The Avid/1 was based around
an Apple Macintosh II computer, with special hardware and software of
Avid's own design installed."

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avid_Technology>

And when they tried to dump the Mac at that party, their customers made
them change their minds.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone and how he missed

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 11, 2007, 1:02:03 AM5/11/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:55:31 -0700, George Graves

<gmgr...@comcast.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:

>On Wed, 9 May 2007 15:23:46 -0700, Edwin wrote

LOL! Once again we see one Maccie using a Windows computer is having
more trouble than any 100 randomly selected Windows users and
insisting that it can't possibly be his gross incompentence.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 11, 2007, 1:02:54 AM5/11/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 18:01:17 -0700, George Graves

Kinda like its funny that no one I know has ever had the troubles with
Window Movie Maker that you describe.

none

May 11, 2007, 1:20:28 AM5/11/07
In article <j3u743l4jjfs9fo15...@4ax.com>,

Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Clairvoyant AGAIN, Edwin? FYI, I helped My Alfa club president put together
> >yearly retrospective of the club's activities for our Christmas party last
> >December. He was using the latest Windows Movie Maker. We spent the ENTIRE
> >weekend trying to get transitions and titles to work smoothly on the piece
> >of
> >shit and were, in the end, only marginally successful. I told him that the
> >next time, if he wanted my help, we'd edit the video at MY house using the
> >Mac and iMovie. No, Edwin. I've never used Windows Movie Maker (I wish).
>
> LOL! Once again we see one Maccie using a Windows computer is having
> more trouble than any 100 randomly selected Windows users and
> insisting that it can't possibly be his gross incompentence.

no - it sounds like george has just used a better product and is now
"aware" that movie maker just isn't robust enough when put up to higher
end products like imovie.

Sandman

May 11, 2007, 1:49:18 AM5/11/07
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> > > Lack of understanding and Mac use seem to go hand in hand...
> >
> > Edwin is quick to insult yet again!
>
> What insult?

The one above, Snit Jr.

--
Sandman[.net]

George Graves

May 11, 2007, 11:31:41 AM5/11/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:02:03 -0700, Mayor of R'lyeh wrote
(in article <j3u743l4jjfs9fo15...@4ax.com>):

Since I can use iMovie without any trouble, I'd say that Windows Movie Maker
was CRAP!

George Graves

May 11, 2007, 11:33:32 AM5/11/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:02:54 -0700, Mayor of R'lyeh wrote
(in article <j6u7435llan0jbtd3...@4ax.com>):

Trouble? I had no trouble. It just doesn't work very well.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 11, 2007, 11:41:44 AM5/11/07
On Fri, 11 May 2007 08:31:41 -0700, George Graves

I can use both of them without any trouble. Guess what that makes
crap? 8)

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 11, 2007, 11:42:23 AM5/11/07
On Fri, 11 May 2007 08:33:32 -0700, George Graves

Rubbish. It works just fine.

Joseph Crowe

May 11, 2007, 1:13:16 PM5/11/07
Hi Laraine, et al,

Laraine wrote:
> Well, my husband Roger edited, on iMovie 4 (please note 4, not the
> latest version, which, for those who don't know, is 6) a home-made
> movie for a friend who has a PC (and who spent about $1700 buying
> Adobe Premiere) and it received a compliment from none other than the
> owner of Weta Studios (of Lord of the Rings fame). Roger uses iMovie 6
> now, but our friend still hasn't worked out Premiere, whereas Roger
> found out how iMovie works simply by using it. Sure, it can't do
> everything that Final Cut (and no doubt Premiere) can do but it it
> seems to fit all our needs.

This demonstrates the power of the iLife applications. They are
generally easy to use to get decent results and they are aimed at
a target market appropriate to the software. Professionals will, no
doubt, find limitations in them but for a huge marketplace, they are
entirely appropriate.

details about your hardware setup and where you have your project
stored (internal vs. external drives) and such it would help. Also
if you could give information about your OS version and version of
iMovie, that would also help. There are publications like the ones
from The Missing Manual series that are quite helpful for this type
of thing as well as support forums on the Apple website. Good
luck.

> Laraine
> http://lbarker.orcon.net.nz

MuahMan

May 11, 2007, 4:47:11 PM5/11/07

> On 10 May 2007 11:43:30 -0700, Laraine <lba...@orcon.net.nz> chose to
> bless us with the following wisdom:
>

>>> Edwin, when will you learn. Sandman is just as clueless as the
>>> rest of
>>> the trolls that say everything on a PC and Windows is bad. I've been
>>> ignoring Sandman for a while and you should too. These fools only argue
>>> for
>>> the attention.
>>Well, John, I sure don't like my sister's Windows machine. It's always
>>crashing. My friends are also having tons of ttrouble with theirs.
>
> Of course they do, of course they do. No Maccie in existence has ever
> seen a Windoiws machine that does anything but crash all the time. Its
> a wonder how 95% of the world's work gets done on them.

LOL, The Mayor is on a roll!

none

May 11, 2007, 5:32:30 PM5/11/07

> >> Kinda like its funny that no one I know has ever had the troubles with
> >> Window Movie Maker that you describe.
> >>

> >Trouble? I had no trouble. It just doesn't work very well.
>
> Rubbish. It works just fine.

yes, if you have low standards, and never strive "it works just fine",
that is correct.

the synopsis of the Mayor's entire life could be summed up as "low
standards". if it's better, he won't like it, if it's superior in
quality or is easier to use, he won't allow himself to reach, to strive.

the mayor is living a life of poor desperation, each post he makes is
targeted at only having "2nd or 3rd best".

he has a mental defect, probably related to depression or being hit by a
belt when he wanted chocolate ice cream as a child, but told it was too
expensive... so from then on he gets mad at anyone wanting anything but
vanilla ice milk.

he is a very angry soul, and wants everyone to come down to his level
since he has mistakenly denied himself the best.

none

May 11, 2007, 5:33:54 PM5/11/07
Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Since I can use iMovie without any trouble, I'd say that Windows Movie Maker
> >was CRAP!
>
> I can use both of them without any trouble. Guess what that makes
> crap? 8)

you have never used iMovie in your life. you don't have enough sense.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 11, 2007, 11:23:46 PM5/11/07

Been taking lessons from Snit?

--

Why settle for the lesser evil?
Cthulhu for president 2008

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 11, 2007, 11:29:25 PM5/11/07
On Fri, 11 May 2007 15:32:30 -0600, none <a...@b.com> wrote:

>> >Trouble? I had no trouble. It just doesn't work very well.
>>
>> Rubbish. It works just fine.
>
>yes, if you have low standards, and never strive "it works just fine",
>that is correct.

none will now demonstrate how the output from Movie Maker is
supposedly inferior to the output of iMove.

>the synopsis of the Mayor's entire life could be summed up as "low
>standards". if it's better, he won't like it, if it's superior in
>quality or is easier to use, he won't allow himself to reach, to strive.

LOL! That's why I use Premiere Elements, which is far superior to
either Movie Maker or iMovie.

>the mayor is living a life of poor desperation, each post he makes is
>targeted at only having "2nd or 3rd best".

LOL! Says the guy pushing a product that's tied for last.

>he has a mental defect, probably related to depression or being hit by a
>belt when he wanted chocolate ice cream as a child, but told it was too
>expensive...

You mistakenly assume that your childhood experiences were universal.

> so from then on he gets mad at anyone wanting anything but
>vanilla ice milk.

LOL! Actually I make fun of people who eat mash potatoes and try to
tell me its the best ice cream ever.

>he is a very angry soul, and wants everyone to come down to his level
>since he has mistakenly denied himself the best.

You mistakenly assume that you and I are alike.

Peter Hayes

May 12, 2007, 6:53:42 AM5/12/07
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

proportional to how long it's been connected to the internet.

--

Immunity is better than innoculation.

Peter

Peter Hayes

May 12, 2007, 9:20:48 AM5/12/07
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

> On May 10, 1:36 am, none <a...@b.com> wrote:
> > shortysha...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its
> > > a mac or a pc rather what program you are using.
> >
> > how can that be? the software is only 50% of the equation when you use a
> > program. windows is a nightmare to do video on, that's a well known
> > fact.
>
> You have your claims confused with facts. Apple is a Johny-come-
> lately to the video world with the program they bought and turned into
> FCP. Avid et al have been doing video for years on PCs before Apple
> showed up very late to the party.

Avid started on the Mac. The PC version came along about 10 years ago
and the company very nearly abandoned the Mac platform altogether.

The PC equivalent was Lightworks which ran on a DOS based PC. Both
platforms had their plusses and minuses, the biggest minus for
Lightworks was its stability, or rather lack of it.

> > > imovie and windows movie maker = suckiness
> >
> > you don't know what you are talking about. iMovie is rather excellent
> > and good for most tasks.
>
> The OP finds that it crashes.

Same here. I save often, but why no "Save As..."?

> > > now on either a mac or a pc if you upgrade to
> > > something awesome like premier pro or final cut then you are in
> > > business, both are expensive but if you want a great quailty movie
> > > they are the only way to go, i mean im sure there is less expensive
> > > ones, but they are more than likely not preinstalled software.
> >
> > quality isn't going to differ if you use iMovie or Final Cut they are
> > both HD. sure you can do fancier effects with Final Cut or Final Cut
> > Express, but the final quality will be exactly the same.
>
> That's sort of like claiming a toy wagon and a dump truck both have
> the same "quality."

Depends on your definition of "quality". Picture quality will be the
same, programme quality wil be poorer in iMovie due to limitations like
having only one video track, unless you can invest several times the
amount of time you'd take using FCP or Avid, effects excepted - but
effects are severely overrated anyway.

Peter Hayes

May 12, 2007, 9:33:29 AM5/12/07
Laraine <lba...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> > or you can be a mature adult and realize that its not the whether its

> > a mac or a pc rather what program you are using. imovie and windows
> > movie maker = suckiness, now on either a mac or a pc if you upgrade to

> > something awesome like premier pro or final cut then you are in
> > business, both are expensive but if you want a great quailty movie
> > they are the only way to go, i mean im sure there is less expensive
> > ones, but they are more than likely not preinstalled software.

> Well, my husband Roger edited, on iMovie 4 (please note 4, not the
> latest version, which, for those who don't know, is 6) a home-made
> movie for a friend who has a PC (and who spent about $1700 buying
> Adobe Premiere) and it received a compliment from none other than the
> owner of Weta Studios (of Lord of the Rings fame). Roger uses iMovie 6
> now, but our friend still hasn't worked out Premiere, whereas Roger
> found out how iMovie works simply by using it. Sure, it can't do
> everything that Final Cut (and no doubt Premiere) can do but it it
> seems to fit all our needs.

Just as you could create your magnum opus on Notepad or Word, 90% of
editing is down to the skills of the user and 10% is the application.

none

May 12, 2007, 10:14:12 AM5/12/07
noti...@btinternet.com (Peter Hayes) wrote:

> > You have your claims confused with facts. Apple is a Johny-come-
> > lately to the video world with the program they bought and turned into
> > FCP. Avid et al have been doing video for years on PCs before Apple
> > showed up very late to the party.
>
> Avid started on the Mac. The PC version came along about 10 years ago
> and the company very nearly abandoned the Mac platform altogether.
>
> The PC equivalent was Lightworks which ran on a DOS based PC. Both
> platforms had their plusses and minuses, the biggest minus for
> Lightworks was its stability, or rather lack of it.

yes, even the Apple // had Apple branded video editing software, so the
mayor is clearly clueless. Apple has always been at the forefront of
video innovations.

Peter Hayes

May 12, 2007, 10:29:57 AM5/12/07
none <a...@b.com> wrote:

Apple didn't produce any useable video editing software until OS X came
along, Avid is a separate company.

Avid and Lightworks appeared about the same time. Lightworks was the
better product with decent audio scrubbing and a nice Steenbeck type
controller - when it didn't crash, that is...

kiro...@aol.com

May 12, 2007, 12:09:51 PM5/12/07
On May 10, 10:02 am, Opus <o...@opus.opus> wrote:
> In article <0001HW.C267966601A62556F0182...@news.comcast.net>,
> George Graves <gmgrav...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 9 May 2007 10:45:58 -0700, Edwin wrote
> > (in article <1178732758.886420.264...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):

> > > Replace your Mac with a Windows PC and run Windows Movie Maker
> > > instead.
>
> > > You're welcome.
>
> > And make a lousy movie with it because that's the only kind Windows Movie
> > maker can make!
>
> What are Windows users doing in a MACINTOSH GROUP?
>
> That's what I don't understand.
>
> And why isn't anyone providing help for the guy with the original
> question?

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

I agree with Opus, what a waste of time to sort through windoze
advocates who are trying to highjack this forum. Go back to your own
group!
I makes me laugh when windoze users always try to put down macs to
justify their lame systems.

none

May 12, 2007, 2:16:40 PM5/12/07
noti...@btinternet.com (Peter Hayes) wrote:

> > yes, even the Apple // had Apple branded video editing software, so the
> > mayor is clearly clueless. Apple has always been at the forefront of
> > video innovations.
>
> Apple didn't produce any useable video editing software until OS X came
> along, Avid is a separate company.
>
> Avid and Lightworks appeared about the same time. Lightworks was the
> better product with decent audio scrubbing and a nice Steenbeck type
> controller - when it didn't crash, that is...

yes, but they did have the Apple // Video Overlay Card, during the OS6
era... and tons of companies had Mac video editing software, LONG before
PC's could even display "graphics".

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=3600&coll=ap

Wayne Stuart

May 12, 2007, 3:43:39 PM5/12/07

The latest clip 'Macbook vs Vaio' includes a bit of iMovie vs Windows
Movie Maker in the challenge:

<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/media/>

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!

Peter Hayes

May 12, 2007, 4:29:12 PM5/12/07
none <a...@b.com> wrote:

At about the same time NewTek produced the Video Toaster for the Amiga.

The Video Toaster became a widely used product, and certainly better
known than other computer based products of its time.

Peter Hayes

May 12, 2007, 4:35:59 PM5/12/07
Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> The latest clip 'Macbook vs Vaio' includes a bit of iMovie vs Windows
> Movie Maker in the challenge:

"File not Found"

> <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/media/>

Tim Murray

May 12, 2007, 5:01:51 PM5/12/07
On May 12, 2007, Wayne Stuart wrote:
> The latest clip 'Macbook vs Vaio' includes a bit of iMovie vs Windows
> Movie Maker in the challenge:
>
> <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/media/>

I never get any info from those videos. All I do is focus on Suzi Perry's
breasts.

Tim Murray

May 12, 2007, 5:02:53 PM5/12/07
On May 12, 2007, Peter Hayes wrote:
> Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> The latest clip 'Macbook vs Vaio' includes a bit of iMovie vs Windows
>> Movie Maker in the challenge:
>
> "File not Found"

click the title on the right instead of the picture on the left

Peter Hayes

May 12, 2007, 5:14:09 PM5/12/07
Tim Murray <no-...@thankyou.com> wrote:

Ah, I should have worked that out for myself... :-(

Thanks.

Wayne Stuart

May 12, 2007, 6:18:40 PM5/12/07
Peter Hayes <noti...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > The latest clip 'Macbook vs Vaio' includes a bit of iMovie vs Windows
> > Movie Maker in the challenge:
>
> "File not Found"

Well bugger me! All that time it's been up there, and I've never
noticed it didn't work properly.

Now corrected. Thanks. :)

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 12, 2007, 6:22:32 PM5/12/07
On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:14:12 -0600, none <a...@b.com> wrote:

>noti...@btinternet.com (Peter Hayes) wrote:
>
>> > You have your claims confused with facts. Apple is a Johny-come-
>> > lately to the video world with the program they bought and turned into
>> > FCP. Avid et al have been doing video for years on PCs before Apple
>> > showed up very late to the party.
>>
>> Avid started on the Mac. The PC version came along about 10 years ago
>> and the company very nearly abandoned the Mac platform altogether.
>>
>> The PC equivalent was Lightworks which ran on a DOS based PC. Both
>> platforms had their plusses and minuses, the biggest minus for
>> Lightworks was its stability, or rather lack of it.
>
>yes, even the Apple // had Apple branded video editing software,

Name it.

> so the mayor is clearly clueless.

Says the guy who is so clueless he can't even keep track of who said
what.

> Apple has always been at the forefront of
>video innovations.

LOL! Talk about clueless!

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 12, 2007, 6:25:19 PM5/12/07
On Sat, 12 May 2007 19:43:39 GMT, m...@privacy.net (Wayne Stuart)
wrote:

Pretty short on details. But she also has problems with Photoshop
elements which will hold your hand and practically do everything for
you. This doesn't make her abilities look to good. Id be interested in
seeing how well the guy does with Windows Movie Maker. I suspect that
he simply has more knowledge/skill on the whole process.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 12, 2007, 6:26:59 PM5/12/07
On 12 May 2007 09:09:51 -0700, "kiro...@aol.com" <kiro...@aol.com>
wrote:

How do you 'hijack' a forum that was setup to compare the Mac to other
systems by comparing other systems to the Mac?

Wayne Stuart

May 12, 2007, 8:02:32 PM5/12/07
Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Kinda like its funny that no one I know has ever had the troubles with
> >> Window Movie Maker that you describe.
> >
> >The latest clip 'Macbook vs Vaio' includes a bit of iMovie vs Windows
> >Movie Maker in the challenge:
> >
> ><http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/media/>
>
> Pretty short on details.

Well, yes. It's dumbed down TV for the couch dweller. Not much detail
to glean. Just a general message that for this particular run of tasks,
Macs make a good account of themselves.

> But she also has problems with Photoshop
> elements which will hold your hand and practically do everything for
> you. This doesn't make her abilities look to good. Id be interested in
> seeing how well the guy does with Windows Movie Maker.

...and how well she would have done with iMovie. Would she still have
choked? Or is WMM just more chokeable with? Answers on a postcard.

> I suspect that
> he simply has more knowledge/skill on the whole process.

True. Unlike her, he's a died in the wool geek.

<http://www.jasonbradbury.com/>

Peter Hayes

May 13, 2007, 5:24:40 AM5/13/07
Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Peter Hayes <noti...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> > > The latest clip 'Macbook vs Vaio' includes a bit of iMovie vs Windows
> > > Movie Maker in the challenge:
> >
> > "File not Found"
>
> Well bugger me! All that time it's been up there, and I've never
> noticed it didn't work properly.
>
> Now corrected. Thanks. :)
>
> > > <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/media/>

The MacBook/Vaio report finally nails the lie that Vista is anywhere
near as useable as the Mac.

Peter Hayes

May 13, 2007, 5:24:40 AM5/13/07
Tim Murray <no-...@thankyou.com> wrote:

She's quite a distraction, isn't she...

Wayne Stuart

May 13, 2007, 7:19:20 AM5/13/07
Peter Hayes <noti...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Peter Hayes <noti...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> > > "File not Found"
> >
> > Well bugger me! All that time it's been up there, and I've never
> > noticed it didn't work properly.
> >
> > Now corrected. Thanks. :)

> The MacBook/Vaio report finally nails the lie that Vista is anywhere
> near as useable as the Mac.

Not really. They weren't that thorough. They only looked at the
bundled software, not the OS itself as such.

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!

Reasons why not to choose Macintosh:
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/whynotmacfaq/>

da newb

May 13, 2007, 9:32:13 AM5/13/07
On May 9, 1:19 pm, "Dr. ''Q''" <n...@none.none> wrote:
> iMovie Crashes - HELP!
>
> I am trying to open my project in iMovie. It was working fine, then one
> day is keep crashing upon opening. Other imovie projects open okay...
> but this one keep crashing.
>
> Once in a while it will open, but then as soon as I select a clip, the
> beach ball spins and it crashes.
>
> What can I do to recover from this?
>
> I have:
>
> iMove 5 HD
> Powerbook 1GHz G4 Titanium
> 1GB RAM
> 160 GBs free space
> OS X.39

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

Go to discussions.apple.com.

Any questions about problems posted here will be answered with,
"Switch OS." Then an argument starts and everyone forgets the question.

arvi...@earthlink.net

May 13, 2007, 12:00:59 PM5/13/07
Wayne Stuart wrote:
> Peter Hayes <noti...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> Well bugger me! All that time it's been up there, and I've never
>>> noticed it didn't work properly.
>>>
>>> Now corrected. Thanks. :)

>> The MacBook/Vaio report finally nails the lie that Vista is anywhere
>> near as useable as the Mac.
>
> Not really. They weren't that thorough. They only looked at the
> bundled software, not the OS itself as such.

Right! But iMovie provides the margin of victory for runaway Mac win
over PC's equivalent software. iMovie has finished its project while the
PC user is stuck in a stall. And the Mac user is a recent convert to Mac
from PC.

I thought comparing iPhoto to Adobe Elements for PC was lame, since
there is Elements for Mac, although there is apparently no native PC
program directly equivalent to iPhoto. In fact, they fudged such
comparisons, since many of the programs they "compared" are only
installed for pay. Apparently PC provides many more such installs.

---
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvi...@Wearthlink.net> ||
||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., <arvi...@Wearthlink.net> ||
||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
|| Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++

PC Guy

May 13, 2007, 12:51:25 PM5/13/07

>> >Trouble? I had no trouble. It just doesn't work very well.
>>
>> Rubbish. It works just fine.
>
>yes, if you have low standards, and never strive "it works just fine",
>that is correct.

Haven't you Mactards figured out that just saying it doesn't make it
so? It is truely amazing where this kind of response is given without
any supporting evidence. It only exists in the minds of Mactards.

[ snip ]

PC Guy

May 13, 2007, 12:53:44 PM5/13/07

It's easy. You make compelling arguments for the PC and against the
Mac that the Mactards can't refute. When they respond with "You're a
troll" you know you have achieved the goal of hijacking the forum.

New Bee

May 13, 2007, 1:50:29 PM5/13/07
On May 10, 7:55 pm, George Graves <gmgrav...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2007 15:23:46 -0700, Edwin wrote
> (in article <1178749426.070253.209...@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>):

> > On May 9, 5:16 pm, George Graves <gmgrav...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> On Wed, 9 May 2007 10:45:58 -0700, Edwin wrote
> >> (in article <1178732758.886420.264...@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>):

> >> And make a lousy movie with it because that's the only kind Windows >
> >> Movie maker can make!
>
> > According to the man who's never even looked at Windows Movie Maker,
> > let alone attempted to use it...
>
> Clairvoyant AGAIN, Edwin? FYI, I helped My Alfa club president put together a
> yearly retrospective of the club's activities for our Christmas party last
> December. He was using the latest Windows Movie Maker. We spent the ENTIRE
> weekend trying to get transitions and titles to work smoothly on the piece of
> shit and were, in the end, only marginally successful. I told him that the
> next time, if he wanted my help, we'd edit the video at MY house using the
> Mac and iMovie. No, Edwin. I've never used Windows Movie Maker (I wish).

Would you accept criticism of iMovie that was based on one weekend of
use buy somebody who was familiar with Windows Movie Maker?

Tim Murray

May 13, 2007, 3:05:47 PM5/13/07
On May 13, 2007, arvi...@earthlink.net wrote:
> I thought comparing iPhoto to Adobe Elements for PC was lame, since
> there is Elements for Mac, although there is apparently no native PC
> program directly equivalent to iPhoto. In fact, they fudged such
> comparisons, since many of the programs they "compared" are only
> installed for pay. Apparently PC provides many more such installs.

Further, I wonder if Elements (in Windows) was provided by Microsoft as a
part of the default OS install, or if it was provided by the OEM. If the
latter is the case, then it should not have been allowed at all.

Wayne Stuart

May 13, 2007, 4:32:52 PM5/13/07
Tim Murray <no-...@thankyou.com> wrote:

Why? If you can't include that, surely you can't include iLife.

Tim Murray

May 13, 2007, 5:02:30 PM5/13/07
On May 13, 2007, Wayne Stuart wrote:
> Tim Murray <no-...@thankyou.com> wrote:
>
>> On May 13, 2007, arvi...@earthlink.net wrote:
>>> I thought comparing iPhoto to Adobe Elements for PC was lame, since
>>> there is Elements for Mac, although there is apparently no native PC
>>> program directly equivalent to iPhoto. In fact, they fudged such
>>> comparisons, since many of the programs they "compared" are only
>>> installed for pay. Apparently PC provides many more such installs.
>>>

>> Further, I wonder if Elements (in Windows) was provided by Microsoft as a
>> part of the default OS install, or if it was provided by the OEM. If the
>> latter is the case, then it should not have been allowed at all.
>
> Why? If you can't include that, surely you can't include iLife.

Yeah, I considered that, and I'm admittedly undecided. On the one hand when
you buy a new Mac from Apple, you get it, so why shouldn't a new Windows
machine be allowed to include "extras" when you buy from a dealer?

But then again, two things: One, if that is the case, then can you use a
Windows machine from some dealer that loads it up (let's just say) with
top-of-the-line multimedia software? Second, with a new Mac you get iLife no
matter what; it is the baseline. The software included by dealers is
definitely an add-on post baseline.

I suppose the bottom line is that we're not comparing dealers anyway -- it's
usability, so the point is "to compare similarly outfitted systems", and also
make sure to say as much during the shoot-out.

none

May 14, 2007, 10:38:13 AM5/14/07

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 14, 2007, 11:17:02 AM5/14/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 08:38:13 -0600, none <a...@b.com> wrote:

Wow! You found a Maccie who says Macs are best.And look at all the
details he provides! I guess that cinches it.

Alan Baker

May 14, 2007, 2:02:17 PM5/14/07
In article <n8vg43tfh5akdhp0q...@4ax.com>,

Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2007 08:38:13 -0600, none <a...@b.com> wrote:
>
> >this says it all mayor.
> >
> >http://www.centredaily.com/216/story/95527.html
>
> Wow! You found a Maccie who says Macs are best.And look at all the
> details he provides! I guess that cinches it.

Riiiiight.

Because anyone who says anything good about the Mac is obviously a
Maccie, right?

LOL

"A: Home movie-editing is what Apple does best. I am fairly
system-agnostic, and I use and enjoy both Windows computers and Macs."

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone and how he missed
the demo of the iPhone speakerphone.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 14, 2007, 3:05:46 PM5/14/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:02:17 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

>In article <n8vg43tfh5akdhp0q...@4ax.com>,
> Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 08:38:13 -0600, none <a...@b.com> wrote:
>>
>> >this says it all mayor.
>> >
>> >http://www.centredaily.com/216/story/95527.html
>>
>> Wow! You found a Maccie who says Macs are best.And look at all the
>> details he provides! I guess that cinches it.
>
>Riiiiight.
>
>Because anyone who says anything good about the Mac is obviously a
>Maccie, right?
>
>LOL
>
>"A: Home movie-editing is what Apple does best. I am fairly
>system-agnostic, and I use and enjoy both Windows computers and Macs."

Wow! Now that's its been posted twice it must be true!

Alan Baker

May 14, 2007, 3:08:39 PM5/14/07
In article <dnch431pra9p921kg...@4ax.com>,

Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:02:17 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <n8vg43tfh5akdhp0q...@4ax.com>,
> > Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Wow! You found a Maccie who says Macs are best.And look at all the
> >> details he provides! I guess that cinches it.
> >
> >Riiiiight.
> >
> >Because anyone who says anything good about the Mac is obviously a
> >Maccie, right?
> >
> >LOL
> >
> >"A: Home movie-editing is what Apple does best. I am fairly
> >system-agnostic, and I use and enjoy both Windows computers and Macs."
>
> Wow! Now that's its been posted twice it must be true!

I was just quoting what your claim conveniently avoided mentioning.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 14, 2007, 3:27:53 PM5/14/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 19:08:39 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

>In article <dnch431pra9p921kg...@4ax.com>,
> Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:02:17 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
>> wrote:

>> >Riiiiight.
>> >
>> >Because anyone who says anything good about the Mac is obviously a
>> >Maccie, right?
>> >
>> >LOL
>> >
>> >"A: Home movie-editing is what Apple does best. I am fairly
>> >system-agnostic, and I use and enjoy both Windows computers and Macs."
>>
>> Wow! Now that's its been posted twice it must be true!
>
>I was just quoting what your claim conveniently avoided mentioning.

Notice the lack of substantiation. Notice how the rest of his post
nullifies his claim to be 'system agnostic'. He's like those seminar
callers that call conservative talk radio. They always start out with
'I'm a staunch Republican...' but they always get around to declaring
everything Republicans believe into be wrong and praising socialism.

Tie that in with the fact that I've got substantial experience editing
video on linear systems also Sun, Windows and Mac computers and I can
tell you that he's full of crap. The differences don't come in with
the machine. They come in with the app. They'll all give you quality
outputs if you know how to use them. If you don't then bother to learn
them then it isn't going to matter whose logo is on the computer case.
You're going to get crap. Windows Movie Maker and iMovie are pretty
much on the same level as far as usability go. They're both scraping
the bottom of the barrel as far as features are concerned.

If you've got any ambition in the area of video editing then move up
to something else. I'd reccomend Premiere Elements. Final Cut Express
is a little too 'Avid-y' for my tastes. I much prefer the Premiere
style interface. So if Premiere Elements is available for the Mac I'd
go with it first.

If all you want to do is make some simple videos of the kids to send
to Grandma then either Windows Movie Maker or iMovie will be just
fine.

Alan Baker

May 14, 2007, 3:40:53 PM5/14/07
In article <huch43hcbuvmuru24...@4ax.com>,

Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2007 19:08:39 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <dnch431pra9p921kg...@4ax.com>,
> > Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Wow! Now that's its been posted twice it must be true!
> >
> >I was just quoting what your claim conveniently avoided mentioning.
>
> Notice the lack of substantiation.

Because he's answering someone who's asking from the context of being a
consumer in a computer advice column. Such an answer doesn't *need*
substantiation.

> Notice how the rest of his post
> nullifies his claim to be 'system agnostic'.

What parts? Be specific.

Or will this be like you saying "then we'll talk" about sports cars?

> He's like those seminar
> callers that call conservative talk radio. They always start out with
> 'I'm a staunch Republican...' but they always get around to declaring
> everything Republicans believe into be wrong and praising socialism.
>
> Tie that in with the fact that I've got substantial experience editing
> video on linear systems also Sun, Windows and Mac computers and I can
> tell you that he's full of crap. The differences don't come in with
> the machine. They come in with the app.

Right. And he says, "...because I am so fond of the video editing
capabilities of iMovie and iDVD. They are very intuitive and simple to
use, and the finished results look polished and first class."

IOW, he's saying it's about the apps.

> They'll all give you quality
> outputs if you know how to use them. If you don't then bother to learn
> them then it isn't going to matter whose logo is on the computer case.
> You're going to get crap. Windows Movie Maker and iMovie are pretty
> much on the same level as far as usability go. They're both scraping
> the bottom of the barrel as far as features are concerned.

Fine. He disagrees. That doesn't make him a "Maccie".

> If you've got any ambition in the area of video editing then move up
> to something else. I'd reccomend Premiere Elements. Final Cut Express
> is a little too 'Avid-y' for my tastes. I much prefer the Premiere
> style interface. So if Premiere Elements is available for the Mac I'd
> go with it first.

Wonderful. You disagree as to what basic video editing app to use. That
still doesn't make him a "Maccie".

> If all you want to do is make some simple videos of the kids to send
> to Grandma then either Windows Movie Maker or iMovie will be just
> fine.

Wonderful, but the columnist doesn't agree. His not agreeing with you
doesn't make him a "Maccie".

PC Guy

May 14, 2007, 6:00:41 PM5/14/07
wrote:

>In article <n8vg43tfh5akdhp0q...@4ax.com>,

> Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 May 2007 08:38:13 -0600, none <a...@b.com> wrote:
>>
>> >this says it all mayor.
>> >
>> >http://www.centredaily.com/216/story/95527.html
>>
>> Wow! You found a Maccie who says Macs are best.And look at all the
>> details he provides! I guess that cinches it.
>
>Riiiiight.
>
>Because anyone who says anything good about the Mac is obviously a
>Maccie, right?
>
>LOL
>
>"A: Home movie-editing is what Apple does best. I am fairly
>system-agnostic, and I use and enjoy both Windows computers and Macs."

"I know because I myself made the switch from Windows to Macs last
year." - Don Lindich, 2002

http://www.post-gazette.com/interact/20020801lindich5.asp

Mactards...they're too easy to spot.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 14, 2007, 6:04:20 PM5/14/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 19:40:53 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

You seem to be forgetting that this link was posted as 'proof' that
the Mac was easier to edit videos on.

>> Notice how the rest of his post
>> nullifies his claim to be 'system agnostic'.
>
>What parts? Be specific.

The parts where its nothing but one big gush about the Mac.

>Or will this be like you saying "then we'll talk" about sports cars?

More like you providing proof that I said Apple was going out f
business more times than you could count.

>> He's like those seminar
>> callers that call conservative talk radio. They always start out with
>> 'I'm a staunch Republican...' but they always get around to declaring
>> everything Republicans believe into be wrong and praising socialism.
>>
>> Tie that in with the fact that I've got substantial experience editing
>> video on linear systems also Sun, Windows and Mac computers and I can
>> tell you that he's full of crap. The differences don't come in with
>> the machine. They come in with the app.
>
>Right. And he says, "...because I am so fond of the video editing
>capabilities of iMovie and iDVD. They are very intuitive and simple to
>use, and the finished results look polished and first class."
>
>IOW, he's saying it's about the apps.

Did you miss 'Home movie-editing is what Apple does best.' or are you
just ignoring it and hoping that no one notices it?

>> They'll all give you quality
>> outputs if you know how to use them. If you don't then bother to learn
>> them then it isn't going to matter whose logo is on the computer case.
>> You're going to get crap. Windows Movie Maker and iMovie are pretty
>> much on the same level as far as usability go. They're both scraping
>> the bottom of the barrel as far as features are concerned.
>
>Fine. He disagrees. That doesn't make him a "Maccie".

No but telling untruths t make the Mac look better does.

>> If you've got any ambition in the area of video editing then move up
>> to something else. I'd reccomend Premiere Elements. Final Cut Express
>> is a little too 'Avid-y' for my tastes. I much prefer the Premiere
>> style interface. So if Premiere Elements is available for the Mac I'd
>> go with it first.
>
>Wonderful. You disagree as to what basic video editing app to use. That
>still doesn't make him a "Maccie".

See above.

>> If all you want to do is make some simple videos of the kids to send
>> to Grandma then either Windows Movie Maker or iMovie will be just
>> fine.
>
>Wonderful, but the columnist doesn't agree. His not agreeing with you
>doesn't make him a "Maccie".

See above.

Edwin

May 14, 2007, 6:17:16 PM5/14/07
On May 12, 5:53 am, notinu...@btinternet.com (Peter Hayes) wrote:
> Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > > Well, John, I sure don't like my sister's Windows machine. It's always
> > > crashing. My friends are also having tons of ttrouble with theirs.
>
> > > Larainehttp://lbarker.orcon.net.nz
>
> > The ability of a Windows machine to work properly is inversely
> > proportional to how much its user likes the Mac.
>
> The ability of a Windows machine to work properly is inversely
> proportional to how long it's been connected to the internet.

Mine has been connected to the Internet 24/7 for years. When is it
going to stop working?

Alan Baker

May 15, 2007, 12:16:05 AM5/15/07
In article <utmh435pf18e5vape...@4ax.com>,
PC Guy <pc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

So...

...let me get this straight...

...if you've only used Macs, your opinion doesn't count, because you're
a "Maccie"...

...and if you've used both and prefer the Mac, your opinion still
doesn't count...

...because you're still a "Maccie"?

Riiiiiight.

PC Guy

May 15, 2007, 5:37:08 PM5/15/07
On Tue, 15 May 2007 04:16:05 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

Nope, you still don't have it straight.

Edwin

May 15, 2007, 5:41:57 PM5/15/07
On May 11, 10:23 pm, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I can use both of them without any trouble. Guess what that makes
> >> crap? 8)
>
> >you have never used iMovie in your life. you don't have enough sense.
>
> Been taking lessons from Snit?

He should give them back. :-P

Alan Baker

May 15, 2007, 5:52:46 PM5/15/07
In article <mq8k43d8dm8d5frrf...@4ax.com>,
PC Guy <pc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Then, by all means, explain what you mean?

PC Guy

May 15, 2007, 6:47:50 PM5/15/07
On Tue, 15 May 2007 21:52:46 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

What's to explain? He's a Mactard just like the Mayor said.

Alan Baker

May 16, 2007, 1:59:29 AM5/16/07
In article <g2ek43tagckturk4q...@4ax.com>,
PC Guy <pc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

IOW, like the Mayor, you're just making up bullshit as you go along.

That's fine.

Mayor of R'lyeh

May 16, 2007, 12:56:39 PM5/16/07
On Wed, 16 May 2007 05:59:29 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

You mistenly assume that we share your traits.

>That's fine.

Almost everything coming from you is rather coarse, actually.

PC Guy

May 16, 2007, 5:54:08 PM5/16/07
On Wed, 16 May 2007 05:59:29 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

Mactards confuse facts with fantasy. Probably explains why you bought
a Mac instead of a PC.

>That's fine.

Alan Baker

May 16, 2007, 5:58:37 PM5/16/07
In article <iavm43tgatsgmv1v0...@4ax.com>,
PC Guy <pc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Fact: you haven't provided a definition for "Maccie" or "Mactard".

Fantasy: you have any relevance.

--
"I always read what is posted, as I don't share your habits." -- "Upon
rereading your original post, I see that I have been mistaken in what I wrote.

Lars Träger

May 16, 2007, 7:33:29 PM5/16/07
MuahMan <mua...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Fucking hysterical. It can't do shit without crashing as the OP has so
> clearly pointed out. iMovie is utter shit, like all Apple Apps. Only a
> fucking retard would even attempt to use Apple Software. All Apple
> customers should be euthanized Hitler style.

Yeah, you are much better off with Movie Maker:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=Movie+Maker+crashes&btnG=
Search>
--
Lars T.

PC Guy

May 16, 2007, 7:42:40 PM5/16/07
On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:58:37 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

I don't recall ever having refered to someone as a "Maccie" so why do
you think it's my responsibility to define it? As for "Mactard" I
thought that was selfevident. The fact that it's not is what makes you
a Mactard.

>Fantasy: you have any relevance.

I must have some or else you wouldn't have responded.

Fact: The guy in the article is a Mactard. Just like the Mayor said.