Need Mac Case Cracker

RiceWP

Dec 9, 1994, 2:45:18 PM12/9/94
I was given an old Mac SE and to replace the hard drive I need a special
scew driver called a "Mac Case Cracker" -- a T-8 with a long shank.

Does anyone know were I can get one? Please E-mail me at ric...@aol.com.

Thanks in advance.

Erich Burton

Dec 9, 1994, 4:57:58 PM12/9/94
ric...@aol.com (RiceWP) writes:
:I was given an old Mac SE and to replace the hard drive I need a special

:scew driver called a "Mac Case Cracker" -- a T-8 with a long shank.

The stock SE has torx screws, you need an 8" T-10 torx screwdriver,
although I have found an 8" long 1/8" wide regular screwdriver can
do the job in a pinch. A T-handle allen key of the proper size (3/32",
I think) might also work.

The "cracker" usually refers to a plastic putty knife (or in some cases
a spring clamp) used to pry open the case after you have removed the
screws.
____________________________________
Erich Burton 3-2602 ebu...@bu.edu
Boston University Physics Department

Daniel Mackay Ringrose

Dec 11, 1994, 11:37:37 AM12/11/94

I learned yesterday (by doing it) that you only need the T-8, not the
putty knife to get the case open. Put the mac face down on a towel, take
out the bottom screws and then back out the two screws in the handle part
way. By gently pulling on the case and re-inserting the screws in the
handle you can lever the face off without using a "cracker" or putty
knife. Then take the handle screws out and you're all set. Watch out
for that picture tube when you open it up!

Erich Burton (ebu...@buphy.bu.edu) wrote:

--
Dan Ringrose University of Michigan
ring...@umich.edu Department of History

John Walker

Dec 12, 1994, 2:14:35 PM12/12/94
MacConnection sells a compact mac case opening kit for $7. It includes
the torx wrench and a spring clamp.

Cheers.

John

John T. G. Walker wal...@mordor.com