Bozo Engineering Redux -- The Idiocy of the Power Brick

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 1:33:31 AM1/7/06
I've ranted on this before and I'm ranting yet again.

Those engineers that somehow decide that whatever they are putting together
needs a power brick can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.

My significant other and I have a total of over thirty power bricks between
us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip some of them cover
three. In those cases a purchase of a short extension cord was necessary.
Some of them are a bit more "user friendly" in that the brick itself doesn't
plug in directly but comes with its own extension cord.

As it appears to me, the powerbrick is just a gimmick to make whatever it
powers look smaller or more stylish on the desktop. There are instances where
the brick itself is almost as big as the item it powers--just remember the
infamous Macintosh Cube.

There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to hold
the ingredients of the powerbrick.

And while I'm on my rant, one has to also remember that just because a
powerbrick can plug into a device does not mean that that particular
powerbrick has the correct voltage and such for the device it is plugged
into. And, how many powerbricks are labelled with the identity of the device
to which they need to be associated? How many devices that require a
powerbrick state the requirements of the brick?

Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the hell that my
significant other and I have experienced.

--
James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Jef Tenner

Jan 7, 2006, 2:03:11 AM1/7/06
well what you need to do, and by need to do I mean should do if you want
to fix part of this problem is to not buy power strips that have such
close together ports and also to mark the power bricks with the name of
the product they have on them.

Well that would be too easy wouldn't it? Everybody knows they are going
to use them so why buy equipment that makes it hard to use them? I don't
understand that thinking. It would be like if you bought a windows
program and complained it did not work on your mac. Why do that either?

Paul Russell

Jan 7, 2006, 3:20:03 AM1/7/06
TaliesinSoft wrote:

If power bricks are your idea of "experiencing hell" then I think your
life may have been a little easier than the norm so far. ;-)

There are numerous reasons why products are designed to use power
bricks, and they do also have a number of advatanges for the end user,
so they're not just a convenient money-saver for the manufacturer.

Ultimately I'd like to see a standard DC power distribution system, so
that bricks would not be needed. I know of people who have developed
home brew implementations of this, the main advantage being that their
total power coonsumption is reduced when using a single high power DC
supply rather than numerous bricks.

Paul

Howard S Shubs

Jan 7, 2006, 4:45:33 AM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to hold
> the ingredients of the powerbrick.

Cooling.

> Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
> product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the hell that my
> significant other and I have experienced.

Yep, you have too much stuff. :-D

--
my "party" is "pro-choice" defined as "do as thou wilt", with certain limits.

Malcolm

Jan 7, 2006, 5:19:09 AM1/7/06
On 2006-01-07 01:33:31 -0500, TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> said:

> I've ranted on this before and I'm ranting yet again.
>
> Those engineers that somehow decide that whatever they are putting
> together needs a power brick can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.
>
> My significant other and I have a total of over thirty power bricks
> between us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip some of
> them cover three. In those cases a purchase of a short extension cord
> was necessary. Some of them are a bit more "user friendly" in that the
> brick itself doesn't plug in directly but comes with its own extension
> cord.
>
> As it appears to me, the powerbrick is just a gimmick to make whatever
> it powers look smaller or more stylish on the desktop. There are
> instances where the brick itself is almost as big as the item it
> powers--just remember the infamous Macintosh Cube.
> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough
> to hold the ingredients of the powerbrick.

On reason is that the whole device would need to go through UL, CSA,
and many other approvals for each country where it is sold. With the
power brick, only the brick needs approval, and it can be bought
pre-approved from a power supply maker and used for many products. Of
course all your other complaints are valid. I also have a pile of them
collecting dog hair under my desk.

matt neuburg

Jan 7, 2006, 8:51:32 AM1/7/06
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> thirty power bricks between
> us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip

The solution: don't use power strips. Use power squids!

<http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/77e6/>

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = ma...@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 9:37:15 AM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 01:03:11 -0600, Jef Tenner wrote
(in article <43bf67af$1...@duster.adelaide.on.net>):

[responding to my diatribe in which I cursed the powerbrick]

> well what you need to do, and by need to do I mean should do if you want
> to fix part of this problem is to not buy power strips that have such
> close together ports and also to mark the power bricks with the name of
> the product they have on them.

At this time my significant other and I each have two wire mesh bins (18"
long, 9" wide, and 8" deep) below our desks, their purpose being to hold the
accumulation of powerbricks. The powerbricks and plugs are then connected to
the surge protecting powerstrips. And yes, everything is color coded and
marked for identification.

> Well that would be too easy wouldn't it? Everybody knows they are going
> to use them so why buy equipment that makes it hard to use them? I don't
> understand that thinking. It would be like if you bought a windows
> program and complained it did not work on your mac. Why do that either?

I'm not ready to accept the analogy. Until recently with the introduction of
the not to commonly found PowerSquid, finding a power strip that easily
accomodated all of the different powerbrick configurations was almost
impossible. The PowerSquid replaces the block of outlets with a short cord
for each outlet emanating from a surge protecting hub. Right now if I had to
do things over I'd purchase the PowerSquid instead of the Belkin surge
protecting strips I now have.

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 9:47:59 AM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 02:20:03 -0600, Paul Russell wrote
(in article <43bf7922$0$23284$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>):

> If power bricks are your idea of "experiencing hell" then I think your
> life may have been a little easier than the norm so far. ;-)

Well, I guess hell is personal and relative! :-)

> There are numerous reasons why products are designed to use power
> bricks, and they do also have a number of advatanges for the end user,
> so they're not just a convenient money-saver for the manufacturer.

I'm curious as what these "advantages to the end user" might be.

> Ultimately I'd like to see a standard DC power distribution system, so
> that bricks would not be needed. I know of people who have developed
> home brew implementations of this, the main advantage being that their
> total power coonsumption is reduced when using a single high power DC
> supply rather than numerous bricks.

I will without hesitation agree that a "power distribution system" would be
far superior to having a myriad of powerbricks.

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 9:52:36 AM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 03:45:33 -0600, Howard S Shubs wrote (in article
<howard-1F27E7....@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>):

> In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to
>> hold the ingredients of the powerbrick.
>
> Cooling.

I just now reached down and felt the temperature of a number of the
powerbricks. None of them was more than what I'd call warm. Interestingly,
the warmest of those I felt was the little white one from Apple that is
attached to my PowerBook.

>> Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
>> product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the hell
>> that my significant other and I have experienced.
>
> Yep, you have too much stuff. :-D

I'm going to have to admit you are right about the "too much stuff" but then
what do I get rid of? :-)

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 9:57:48 AM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 04:19:09 -0600, Malcolm wrote (in article
<2006010705190916807-malcolm@invalid>):

[responding to my powerbrick ranting]

> On reason is that the whole device would need to go through UL, CSA, and
> many other approvals for each country where it is sold. With the power
> brick, only the brick needs approval, and it can be bought pre-approved
> from a power supply maker and used for many products. Of course all your
> other complaints are valid. I also have a pile of them collecting dog
> hair under my desk.

Why couldn't the manufacturers of the various devices provide a compartment
in their device into which an appropriate country specific power supply be
placed. Wouldn't this accomplish the need to accommodate the variations in
national codes and such?

And.... In my case the accumulation is cat hair!

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 10:00:35 AM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 07:51:32 -0600, matt neuburg wrote
(in article <1h8s55m.7gwgtcdroh50N%ma...@tidbits.com>):

> The solution: don't use power strips. Use power squids!

I discovered the squids a few months ago and by all means if I need to redo
my power management cluster I will use them. I do strongly recommend them to
anyone who is setting up a system.

ab...@mix.com

Jan 7, 2006, 10:55:51 AM1/7/06
In comp.sys.mac.system Jef Tenner <jkte...@adelaide.cs.edu> wrote:

> well what you need to do, and by need to do I mean should do if you want
> to fix part of this problem is to not buy power strips that have such
> close together ports

Yes if you look hard and long enough you can find some with the outlets
really far apart. I have one of these, it's in the the bottom of a rack
so I can't get at it to tell you who made it but it came from a vendor
named Allied - http://www/allied-elec.com/

This is more of a vendor to the industry than to retail consumers, but
they seem like they'll sell anything to anyone. Or there are undoubtly
other people selling this same stuff too.

> and also to mark the power bricks with the name of
> the product they have on them.

I used wire markers for this, got them from the same place, above.

For my work I was using a LaCie portable disk drive - it has a separate
power supply. But I just replaced it with an Easy Quest drive that has
its own internal power supply. Much nicer. I can leave a power cord
in place for it, very convenient...

Billy Y..

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 11:08:53 AM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 09:55:51 -0600, ab...@MIX.COM wrote
(in article <dpooa7$mat$1...@reader2.panix.com>):

[commenting on power strips]

> Yes if you look hard and long enough you can find some with the outlets
> really far apart. I have one of these, it's in the the bottom of a rack
> so I can't get at it to tell you who made it but it came from a vendor
> named Allied - http://www/allied-elec.com/

I've seen power strips with the outlets at something like five inch
intervals. These probably work best attached to a wall. As I've already
mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the Power Squid, which has five outlets
on short cords attached to a surge protecting hub, is my current
recommendation to solve a problem that in my mind shouldn't exist.

Malcolm

Jan 7, 2006, 11:15:49 AM1/7/06

Near my desk (on the way to the trash) is a Lexmark printer with a
power brick (with a long AC cord) that slides into a large slot in the
printer. The power brick has two metal strips that slide against two
contacts in the printer to provide the DC power. (It's on the way to
the trash because the power brick died.)

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 11:36:19 AM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:15:49 -0600, Malcolm wrote
(in article <2006010711154975249-malcolm@invalid>):

>> Why couldn't the manufacturers of the various devices provide a
>> compartment in their device into which an appropriate country specific
>> power supply be placed. Wouldn't this accomplish the need to
>> accommodate the variations in national codes and such?
>
> Near my desk (on the way to the trash) is a Lexmark printer with a
> power brick (with a long AC cord) that slides into a large slot in the
> printer. The power brick has two metal strips that slide against two
> contacts in the printer to provide the DC power. (It's on the way to
> the trash because the power brick died.)

Is there any reason the power brick itself cannot be replaced? A quick check
on ebay suggests that one can get a replacement for about ten dollars.

Malcolm

Jan 7, 2006, 12:06:19 PM1/7/06

It's not my printer. I was just seeing if I could fix it for a friend.
I did hook it to a DC power supply and get it partially working (feeds
paper and moves print-head), but the owner has already bought a new
printer (for less than the cost of new ink cartridges for this
printer.) I have no use for it.

G.T.

Jan 7, 2006, 12:11:17 PM1/7/06
matt neuburg wrote:
> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>

>>thirty power bricks between
>>us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip
>

> The solution: don't use power strips. Use power squids!
>
> <http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/77e6/>

Little disappointed there. I was thinking that someone had started
selling power supplies with varieties of DC outputs. This is being done
in the server room now but I guess there are too many combos of DC power
to make it marketable for the consumer.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Wes Groleau

Jan 7, 2006, 12:53:16 PM1/7/06
Jef Tenner wrote:
> well what you need to do, and by need to do I mean should do if you want
> to fix part of this problem is to not buy power strips that have such
> close together ports and also to mark the power bricks with the name of
> the product they have on them.
>
> Well that would be too easy wouldn't it? Everybody knows they are going
> to use them so why buy equipment that makes it hard to use them? I don't
> understand that thinking. It would be like if you bought a windows
> program and complained it did not work on your mac. Why do that either?

If you want to use that analogy, be a little more accurate:

"It would be like buying a program on an unlabeled CD-R
which when launched dismounts some of your hard drives
and other devices. What you need to do and by need to do
I mean should do is get a magic marker and label all your
purchased software. Also install disk drives that are
immune to dismount commands."

--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.
-- Samuel Butler, 1612-1680

Wes Groleau

Jan 7, 2006, 12:57:16 PM1/7/06
TaliesinSoft wrote:
> mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the Power Squid, which has five outlets
> on short cords attached to a surge protecting hub, is my current
> recommendation to solve a problem that in my mind shouldn't exist.

Entrepreneurs! There's money for the first person to
market a power strip with one inch _between_ outlets
and outlets arranged like this

| | | | | |
o o o

instead of like

| |
| |
| |

Wes Groleau
Heroes, Heritage, and History
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau/

meow

Jan 7, 2006, 1:07:58 PM1/7/06
TaliesinSoft wrote:

> Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
> product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the
> hell that my significant other and I have experienced.

Hell? Try living in a cardboard box for a few days in winter, as I had
to do a few years ago, that'll give you some perspective of what hell is
like. Get lives you sad pair of muppets.

Paul Sture

Jan 7, 2006, 1:26:52 PM1/7/06
Wes Groleau wrote:
> TaliesinSoft wrote:
>
>> mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the Power Squid, which has five
>> outlets on short cords attached to a surge protecting hub, is my
>> current recommendation to solve a problem that in my mind shouldn't
>> exist.
>

> Entrepreneurs! There's money for the first person to
> market a power strip with one inch _between_ outlets
> and outlets arranged like this
>
> | | | | | |
> o o o
>
> instead of like
>
> | |
> | |
> | |

Nice idea, but it's already been done for UK style plugs:

The following product looks well pricy to me, but it shows you what they
look like:

http://tinyurl.com/8lb29

G.T.

Jan 7, 2006, 1:34:02 PM1/7/06
Wes Groleau wrote:
> TaliesinSoft wrote:
>
>> mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the Power Squid, which has five
>> outlets on short cords attached to a surge protecting hub, is my
>> current recommendation to solve a problem that in my mind shouldn't
>> exist.
>

> Entrepreneurs! There's money for the first person to
> market a power strip with one inch _between_ outlets
> and outlets arranged like this
>
> | | | | | |
> o o o
>
> instead of like
>
> | |
> | |
> | |

They already exist.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.energy-solution.com/off-equip/images/Hardware_cvr2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.energy-solution.com/off-equip/smart_strips.html&h=300&w=400&sz=24&tbnid=e-JdWCUISVQJ:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&hl=en&start=22&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpower%2Bstrips%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:unofficial%26sa%3DN

Jerry Kindall

Jan 7, 2006, 1:43:53 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to hold
> the ingredients of the powerbrick.

It would kinda defeat the point of a cell phone, a PDA, a laptop...
imagine if your phone had to have a big ol' HP power connector on it!

Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.

Jerry Kindall

Jan 7, 2006, 1:47:42 PM1/7/06
In article <1h8s55m.7gwgtcdroh50N%ma...@tidbits.com>, matt neuburg
<ma...@tidbits.com> wrote:

> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > thirty power bricks between
> > us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip
>
> The solution: don't use power strips. Use power squids!
>
> <http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/77e6/>

Another interesting solution is the Kensington SmartSockets Table Top:

http://us.kensington.com/html/1052.html

(As seen in Cool Tools recently...)

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 1:49:09 PM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:43:53 -0600, Jerry Kindall wrote
(in article <070120061043536894%jerryk...@nospam.invalid>):

> In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to
>> hold
>> the ingredients of the powerbrick.
>
> It would kinda defeat the point of a cell phone, a PDA, a laptop...
> imagine if your phone had to have a big ol' HP power connector on it!

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 1:51:41 PM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:43:53 -0600, Jerry Kindall wrote (in article
<070120061043536894%jerryk...@nospam.invalid>):

> In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,

> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to
>> hold the ingredients of the powerbrick.
>
> It would kinda defeat the point of a cell phone, a PDA, a laptop...
> imagine if your phone had to have a big ol' HP power connector on it!

I'll agree that portable devices are an exception to my grump which was
directed at desktop devices such as external hard drives and printers and
such.

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 1:57:10 PM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:47:42 -0600, Jerry Kindall wrote (in article
<070120061047420622%jerryk...@nospam.invalid>):

> In article <1h8s55m.7gwgtcdroh50N%ma...@tidbits.com>, matt neuburg
> <ma...@tidbits.com> wrote:
>
>> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> thirty power bricks between us. Some of them cover two outlets in the
>>> power strip
>>
>> The solution: don't use power strips. Use power squids!
>>
>> <http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/77e6/>
>
> Another interesting solution is the Kensington SmartSockets Table Top:
>
> http://us.kensington.com/html/1052.html
>
> (As seen in Cool Tools recently...)

A Power Squid costs $12 for five outlets, thats $2.40 per outlet. The
Kensington SmartSockets costs $60 for six outlets, thats $10.00 per outlet.
Furthermore, I'll conjecture that some of the bricks I have to deal with
would block the two abutting outlets unless one of those short extension
cords was used. It seems to me that the Power Squid is a much, much better
solution for a significantly lower price.

Reginald Dwight

Jan 7, 2006, 2:05:55 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE56945...@news.supernews.com>,

TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> --
> James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Speechless, apparently. :)

Jerry Kindall

Jan 7, 2006, 2:54:24 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE56B26...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

Yeah, I agree the Power Squid is a better value. I didn't look at the
prices. But whether $12 or $60, the price of a power strip is
basically rounding error compared to the cost of the equipment plugged
into it. I personally would probably go with the Kensington unit; it
does have a $50,000 connected equipment warranty and a lifetime product
warranty, and is more aesthetic than a bunch of short cords with bricks
at the end. (Of course it's too late for that now; I have already
accumulated a wide variety of traditional power strips that work "well
enough" and I see no reason to replace them.)

Eric Lindsay

Jan 7, 2006, 2:53:53 PM1/7/06
In article <0iTvf.2697$Lh1.234@trnddc01>,
Wes Groleau <grolea...@freeshell.org> wrote:

> Entrepreneurs! There's money for the first person to
> market a power strip with one inch _between_ outlets
> and outlets arranged like this
>
> | | | | | |
> o o o
>
> instead of like
>
> | |
> | |
> | |

I guess not everyone in the USA is near a Frys?

I have never seen a power strip like your second unsatisfactory one,
except in the USA. All the power strips in Australia are like the first
one. However power plugs for our 240 volt supplies are significantly
larger than US plugs. I can assure you that a one inch gap is not
sufficient. Some power strips have half the outlets designed for power
bricks. Some power brick makers have responded by making their power
bricks even wider! D'oh!

Regarding replacement DC power bricks, many hobby electronics stores
here sell switchable DC power bricks. Variety of voltages, usually
ranging from 3 volts to 12 volts, some from 9 to 18 volts. Most come
with a package of six interchangeable DC tips for power out. These were
all formerly heavy for their size transformer based, good for up to say
1 amp. More recently, much smaller, lighter switch mode power bricks
for between 3 and 5 amps have appeared, also with a half dozen
interchangeable tips. You do have to be careful about setting the DC
polarity and voltage correctly when using such power bricks. The
unbranded switch mode models run very hot when pushed anywhere near
their rated limits - I wouldn't trust rated limits from anyone except
brand name companies.

Those interested in what foreign electronics gadget shops have could try
http://www.altronics.com.au/ or http://www.dicksmith.com.au (same range
as Tandy, also owned by Woolworths here) or http://www.jaycar.com.au/ or
http://www.radioparts.com.au/ or if you just love large range of gadgets
http://www.farnell.com

--
http://www.ericlindsay.com

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 3:25:29 PM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:05:55 -0600, Reginald Dwight wrote
(in article <regdwight-96EA7...@news.verizon.net>):

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending upon who's doing the reading) I
pressed the wrong key and submitted before commenting.

Robert Haar

Jan 7, 2006, 3:54:59 PM1/7/06

Similar gripe - many of these portable devices have USB interfaces. Why
don't they use a standard USB socket (there seems to be three common
varieties) rather than a proprietary "dock" connector. And why don't they
recharge from the USB cable. I know there are some that do, but there are
far too many that require a special cable and/or a separate charger.

Ray Laughton

Jan 7, 2006, 4:14:56 PM1/7/06
Malcolm <malcolm@invalid> wrote:

> One reason is that the whole device would need to go through UL, CSA,

> and many other approvals for each country where it is sold. With the
> power brick, only the brick needs approval, and it can be bought
> pre-approved from a power supply maker and used for many products. Of
> course all your other complaints are valid. I also have a pile of them
> collecting dog hair under my desk.

Of course it also works the other way round. A device needs different
power bricks for different voltages and plugs in different countries.
Ah, the joys of globalisation.
I also had a draw full of these bricks, alas most had no stickers on so
I left them when I split from my ex. A few had unmistakeable origins,
like that huge white one from the Stylewriter. I went through dozens of
the bricks in the days of external modems, IIRC the modem needed 24V AC
now THAT was power brick hell!

RL

Howard S Shubs

Jan 7, 2006, 4:34:21 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE531D4...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> I just now reached down and felt the temperature of a number of the
> powerbricks. None of them was more than what I'd call warm. Interestingly,
> the warmest of those I felt was the little white one from Apple that is
> attached to my PowerBook.

I believe it, from the ones I've used with my Wallstreet.

Honestly, I expect it's a combination of size of the actual product
combined with cooling and esthetics.

> I'm going to have to admit you are right about the "too much stuff" but then
> what do I get rid of? :-)

Whatever you don't use.

--
my "party" is "pro-choice" defined as "do as thou wilt", with certain limits.

Richard Tomkins

Jan 7, 2006, 4:37:34 PM1/7/06
Before you toss that printer.

I had a Lexmark Z65 fail. In my research, I found that the failure of the
power brick in the unit is a common fault. In fact, many units have gotten
appreciably hot, some have smoked, some have burned up.

I wrote a nice letter to Lexmark Technical Support, and long after my
warranty was expired, 2 years, they replaced the power brick for free.

Contact Lexmark first, I believe that my experience shows that they have a
silent recall on these.

"Malcolm" <malcolm@invalid> wrote in message

Howard S Shubs

Jan 7, 2006, 4:37:59 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE52E3B...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> The PowerSquid replaces the block of outlets with a short cord for
> each outlet emanating from a surge protecting hub. Right now if I had
> to do things over I'd purchase the PowerSquid instead of the Belkin
> surge protecting strips I now have.

Next time, check out your local Home Depot/Lowes when you need a power
strip. They have a good selection of these with power bricks taken into
account.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 7, 2006, 4:41:18 PM1/7/06
In article <2006010705190916807-malcolm@invalid>,
Malcolm <malcolm@invalid> wrote:

> I also have a pile of them collecting dog hair under my desk.

The fix for THAT is to get rid of the dog, of course.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 7, 2006, 4:42:19 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE5330C...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> And.... In my case the accumulation is cat hair!

While I know a solution for the accumulation of dog hair, I've not yet
figured one out for cat hair.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 7, 2006, 4:43:03 PM1/7/06
In article <2006010711154975249-malcolm@invalid>,
Malcolm <malcolm@invalid> wrote:

> Near my desk (on the way to the trash) is a Lexmark printer with a
> power brick (with a long AC cord) that slides into a large slot in the
> printer. The power brick has two metal strips that slide against two
> contacts in the printer to provide the DC power. (It's on the way to
> the trash because the power brick died.)

Why not replace the power brick? Will Lexmark not sell you a new one?

Howard S Shubs

Jan 7, 2006, 4:44:09 PM1/7/06
In article <2006010712061916807-malcolm@invalid>,
Malcolm <malcolm@invalid> wrote:

> It's not my printer. I was just seeing if I could fix it for a friend.
> I did hook it to a DC power supply and get it partially working (feeds
> paper and moves print-head), but the owner has already bought a new
> printer (for less than the cost of new ink cartridges for this
> printer.) I have no use for it.

Oh, an ink jet printer. Nevermind. Those aren't made to be fixed, but
as disposable units.

Jerry Kindall

Jan 7, 2006, 4:45:35 PM1/7/06
In article <BFE594D3.101DE0%rlh...@comcast.net>, Robert Haar
<rlh...@comcast.net> wrote:

My camera, remote, and USB card reader all use the same mini-USB B
connector. Very handy, I agree. Of course, none of those will take a
charge over USB...

Nick Hull

Jan 7, 2006, 5:05:03 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE56B26...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> A Power Squid costs $12 for five outlets, thats $2.40 per outlet. The
> Kensington SmartSockets costs $60 for six outlets, thats $10.00 per outlet.
> Furthermore, I'll conjecture that some of the bricks I have to deal with
> would block the two abutting outlets unless one of those short extension
> cords was used. It seems to me that the Power Squid is a much, much better
> solution for a significantly lower price.

OK, I'm cheap; I use 'power quads' which is nothing more than 2 duplex
outlets (59 cents?) mounted back-to back on a short pigtail decorated in
redheck american black electrical tape. Guaranteed space for at least 2
wall warts and space to plug in another power quad.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 5:06:37 PM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 15:37:59 -0600, Howard S Shubs wrote
(in article <howard-1CAAB3....@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>):

> Next time, check out your local Home Depot/Lowes when you need a power
> strip. They have a good selection of these with power bricks taken into
> account.

Ironically the strips now in use, the one's that don't acomodate all of the
bricks without adapter cords, came from either Home Depot or Lowes.

Howard S Shubs

Jan 7, 2006, 5:54:40 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE5978D...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> Ironically the strips now in use, the one's that don't acomodate all of the
> bricks without adapter cords, came from either Home Depot or Lowes.

Last time I looked, they were better. I can't speak for them more than
I already have as a shopper.

Paul Russell

Jan 7, 2006, 6:27:02 PM1/7/06
TaliesinSoft wrote:

> I'm curious as what these "advantages to the end user" might be.

Using a brick means that the device itself will be:

- smaller
- lighter
- cooler
- safer (for various reasons)
- less prone to EMC/RFI problems

There are also further practical advantanges, such as being able to
easily replace a power supply if it blows; being able to get an
alternate brick for use in a different country where the mains is a
different voltage and or uses a different connector; beign able to power
the device from DC in a mobile/portable/emergency situation.

Hopefully that's snough to be going on with for now.

Paul

Nick

Jan 7, 2006, 8:58:54 PM1/7/06
In article <43c04db5$0$896$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>,
Paul Russell <prus...@sonic.net> wrote:

This is the best and most correct answer in the thread. Using an
external power device also makes it so a company is often able to
manufacture the main device with no changes no matter where in the world
it will be sold -- all they have to do is drop a different power supply
into the packaging. This generally saves money by streamlining the
manufacturing process.

I've worked at computer companies since 1993 and the
logistics/operations and financial guys are always making engineering
figure out ways to manufacture fewer SKU's.

-- Nick

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 9:32:53 PM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:27:02 -0600, Paul Russell wrote (in article
<43c04db5$0$896$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>):

> TaliesinSoft wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious as what these "advantages to the end user" might be.
>>

> Using a brick means that the device itself will be:
>
> - smaller

But the combination of the device and power brick is most likely to be larger
than if the two are combined in a single package.

> - lighter

Only the "desktop device" will be lighter, the combination of device and
brick will most likely be heavier.

> - cooler

Possibly, but it would seem that is something addressed by proper
engineering.

> - safer (for various reasons)

I'm curious as to why whether or not a device has an external power brick has
anything intrinsic to do with safety.

> - less prone to EMC/RFI problems

Again, it seems that this is a matter of proper engineering.

> There are also further practical advantanges, such as being able to easily
> replace a power supply if it blows; being able to get an alternate brick
> for use in a different country where the mains is a different voltage and
> or uses a different connector; beign able to power the device from DC in a
> mobile/portable/emergency situation.

In my over 40 years of having computers in my home (I started with a PDP 8 in
the mid sixties) I have never experienced a power supply failure. Today it is
not unusual for a power supply to be self adaptive to voltage and frequency
changes from country to country. Places like Radio Shack have an ample supply
of mains connection adapters. Being able to power from DC would only mean
adding a DC connector which would bypass the AC to DC internal power supply.

Geoffrey F. Green

Jan 7, 2006, 9:46:24 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE5D5F5...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> > Using a brick means that the device itself will be:
> >
> > - smaller
>
> But the combination of the device and power brick is most likely to be larger
> than if the two are combined in a single package.

Yes, but for me, at least, desk space is at a premium. I have all
sorts of crap on the floor, and it doesn't get in my way on a
day-to-day basis. If my printer can be 5% smaller because of the lack
of a power supply, and my hard drive 7% smaller, then I'm all for it.

- geoff

TaliesinSoft

Jan 7, 2006, 10:00:53 PM1/7/06
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:46:24 -0600, Geoffrey F. Green wrote
(in article <geoff-usenet2-0B2...@comcast.dca.giganews.com>):

But in almost every case the critical measurement in terms of desk space is
the footprint, not the volume. Including the power supply doesn't necessarily
mean an increase in footprint.

Stewy

Jan 7, 2006, 10:30:48 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> I've ranted on this before and I'm ranting yet again.
>
> Those engineers that somehow decide that whatever they are putting together
> needs a power brick can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.
>
> My significant other and I have a total of over thirty power bricks between
> us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip some of them cover
> three. In those cases a purchase of a short extension cord was necessary.
> Some of them are a bit more "user friendly" in that the brick itself doesn't
> plug in directly but comes with its own extension cord.
>
> As it appears to me, the powerbrick is just a gimmick to make whatever it
> powers look smaller or more stylish on the desktop. There are instances where
> the brick itself is almost as big as the item it powers--just remember the
> infamous Macintosh Cube.

> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to hold
> the ingredients of the powerbrick.
>

> And while I'm on my rant, one has to also remember that just because a
> powerbrick can plug into a device does not mean that that particular
> powerbrick has the correct voltage and such for the device it is plugged
> into. And, how many powerbricks are labelled with the identity of the device
> to which they need to be associated? How many devices that require a
> powerbrick state the requirements of the brick?
>
> Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
> product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the hell that my
> significant other and I have experienced.

That may be a problem, but remember 90% of the world does not have a
paltry 110v AC current (and all the problems with wattage that throws
up) Japan runs on 100v (50 cycles in west Japan. 60 everywhere else)
Australasia varies between 120 and 240v, Europe is either 220 or 240v.
While it is possible to compress the innards of the brick, but with
higher voltages the build up of heat is a problem. As for the built-in
plug, this is a bit of a problem but not much - it may be better having
another cable but usually the makes the entire length of cable 2 or 3
meters - far too much. Apple is trying to standardize its parts
worldwide and it doesn't help much if its American hard-core Mac fans
keep harping on about irritations. If Mac made a brick with a variable
output as well as a variable input, the thing would be twice the size it
is now and you'd be complaining about 'all these features I don't need'.

tacit

Jan 7, 2006, 10:42:11 PM1/7/06
In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> As it appears to me, the powerbrick is just a gimmick to make whatever it
> powers look smaller or more stylish on the desktop. There are instances where
> the brick itself is almost as big as the item it powers--just remember the
> infamous Macintosh Cube.

There are actually legitimate engineering reasons to use an external
brick.

One is financial. Most companies that make electronic products which use
power bricks do not make the bricks. They make only the electronic
device, and buy the bricks in quantity from a company that makes only
A/C adapters. The economics of scale makes this cheaper than putting the
bricks in the device.

The second is heat. The A/C adapters--a least the linear ones--generate
heat which you may not want in the device. (I'm told this was the
primary reason the G4 Cube used an external power supply--they wanted to
keep the heat out of the main cabinet.)

The third is adaptability in a world market. If a manufacturer can not
predict in advance how many of its widgets will be sold in various parts
of the world, it is easier to engineer the widget to use an external
power adapter, then sell each unit with its appropriate 120/220-volt
power adapter as it is shipped.

The fourth--which is very rare--is line noise. Certain types of devices
are extremely intolerant of line noise. I am a minority partner in an
electronics firm that makes industrial storm and lightning detection
equipment. We use specially-engineered low-noise power adapters, because
a normal power brick sends out an EMI signal that can cause the device
to experience false readings. Even with a low-noise power adapter,
however, the equipment still needs to be about a foot from the power
supply electronics; they cannot be in the same cabinet as the antenna
and amplifier.

--
Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

ab...@mix.com

Jan 7, 2006, 10:48:48 PM1/7/06
In comp.sys.mac.system TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

First let me fix my typo -

||named Allied - http://www.allied-elec.com/

> I've seen power strips with the outlets at something like five inch
> intervals. These probably work best attached to a wall.

The one I have is about 16 inches and is specifically made for big
power bricks. The outlets are just far enough apart for my Netopia
router and USR ISDN terminal adapter supplies, which are really big,
but are much closer than 5 inches together. The whole thing is only
about 16 inches long... Also the outlets are oriented so the cables
from the power supplies aren't next to other supplies, which makes
a big difference on the max size that will fit into the plug strip.

Billy Y..

Helpful Harry

Jan 7, 2006, 11:03:42 PM1/7/06
In article <tacitr-A26E7E....@news-server.tampabay.rr.com>,
tacit <tac...@aol.com> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > As it appears to me, the powerbrick is just a gimmick to make whatever it
> > powers look smaller or more stylish on the desktop. There are instances
> > where the brick itself is almost as big as the item it powers--just
> > remember the infamous Macintosh Cube.
>
> There are actually legitimate engineering reasons to use an external
> brick.
>
> One is financial. Most companies that make electronic products which use
> power bricks do not make the bricks. They make only the electronic
> device, and buy the bricks in quantity from a company that makes only
> A/C adapters. The economics of scale makes this cheaper than putting the
> bricks in the device.

Not a likely reason since they probably don't make the internal power
bricks they use either. :o)

> The second is heat. The A/C adapters--a least the linear ones--generate
> heat which you may not want in the device. (I'm told this was the
> primary reason the G4 Cube used an external power supply--they wanted to
> keep the heat out of the main cabinet.)
>
> The third is adaptability in a world market. If a manufacturer can not
> predict in advance how many of its widgets will be sold in various parts
> of the world, it is easier to engineer the widget to use an external
> power adapter, then sell each unit with its appropriate 120/220-volt
> power adapter as it is shipped.
>
> The fourth--which is very rare--is line noise. Certain types of devices
> are extremely intolerant of line noise. I am a minority partner in an
> electronics firm that makes industrial storm and lightning detection
> equipment. We use specially-engineered low-noise power adapters, because
> a normal power brick sends out an EMI signal that can cause the device
> to experience false readings. Even with a low-noise power adapter,
> however, the equipment still needs to be about a foot from the power
> supply electronics; they cannot be in the same cabinet as the antenna
> and amplifier.

The fifth reason is that a portable device like a laptop with an
internal power brick would have to be heavier and bigger ... although
technically more portable since the power brick wouldn't be a separate
item to carry around.

The sixth reason is that it's usually quite an expensive item, so if it
fails (as they do) it's easier to replace an external power brick than
an internal one ... especially when the device is still under warranty
- they simply mail out a new power brick and the user plugs it in,
instead of needing the device returned and fixed at a service center.

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships ;o)

Wes Groleau

Jan 7, 2006, 11:23:49 PM1/7/06

tacit

Jan 8, 2006, 1:08:28 AM1/8/06
In article <080120061703428255%helpfu...@nom.de.plume.com>,
Helpful Harry <helpfu...@nom.de.plume.com> wrote:

> > One is financial. Most companies that make electronic products which use
> > power bricks do not make the bricks. They make only the electronic
> > device, and buy the bricks in quantity from a company that makes only
> > A/C adapters. The economics of scale makes this cheaper than putting the
> > bricks in the device.
>
> Not a likely reason since they probably don't make the internal power
> bricks they use either. :o)

Depends on the device. In desktop computers, that's true; in smaller
devices, the power supply circuitry may be integrated on the same PC
board as the rest of the electronics (in which case the design and
manufacture of the power supply circuitry would fall on the device
vendor).

> The sixth reason is that it's usually quite an expensive item, so if it
> fails (as they do) it's easier to replace an external power brick than
> an internal one ... especially when the device is still under warranty
> - they simply mail out a new power brick and the user plugs it in,
> instead of needing the device returned and fixed at a service center.

Good point, that.

--
Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com

Nick

Jan 8, 2006, 2:06:34 AM1/8/06
In article <0001HW.BFE5D5F5...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> > TaliesinSoft wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm curious as what these "advantages to the end user" might be.
> >>

> > Using a brick means that the device itself will be:
> >
> > - smaller
>
> But the combination of the device and power brick is most likely to be larger
> than if the two are combined in a single package.
>
> > - lighter
>
> Only the "desktop device" will be lighter, the combination of device and
> brick will most likely be heavier.
>
> > - cooler
>
> Possibly, but it would seem that is something addressed by proper
> engineering.
>
> > - safer (for various reasons)
>
> I'm curious as to why whether or not a device has an external power brick has
> anything intrinsic to do with safety.
>
> > - less prone to EMC/RFI problems
>
> Again, it seems that this is a matter of proper engineering.

"Proper engineering"?!?!? Do you have any idea what you're talking about
or are you just blowing hot air?

Introducing a power supply into the main device *will* cause different
types of interference, and heat problems. You don't just "properly
engineer" those problems away without a lot of work and perhaps more
cost than is worth putting into the product: fans, higher-cost
components that will deal with the higher internal ambient temperatures,
larger circuit boards to increase isolation, larger cases, etc.

Robert Haar

Jan 8, 2006, 7:54:56 AM1/8/06

Light is of true only for the device itself. The combination with the power
brick is likely to be heavier because of additional packaging and
connectors. However, for portable device, that run from battery power, the
"working" weight is reduced.

I think that the big reason is cost. The device manufactures can use
subcontract the power supply design and manufacture to a company that does
the same thing for a number of primary devices.

Robert Haar

Jan 8, 2006, 8:00:45 AM1/8/06
On 2006/1/7 4:45 PM, "Jerry Kindall" <jerryk...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <BFE594D3.101DE0%rlh...@comcast.net>, Robert Haar
> <rlh...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2006/1/7 1:51 PM, "TaliesinSoft" <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:43:53 -0600, Jerry Kindall wrote (in article
>>> <070120061043536894%jerryk...@nospam.invalid>):

>>> I'll agree that portable devices are an exception to my grump which was
>>> directed at desktop devices such as external hard drives and printers and
>>> such.
>>
>> Similar gripe - many of these portable devices have USB interfaces. Why
>> don't they use a standard USB socket (there seems to be three common
>> varieties) rather than a proprietary "dock" connector. And why don't they
>> recharge from the USB cable. I know there are some that do, but there are
>> far too many that require a special cable and/or a separate charger.
>
> My camera, remote, and USB card reader all use the same mini-USB B
> connector. Very handy, I agree. Of course, none of those will take a
> charge over USB...

I have two digital cameras that use the same "min-D" USB cable but neither
charges over USB. I do have a couple of devices that use the USB "B"
connection and run from bus power.

However, my iPod does charge from USB but uses a proprietary connector.
What's worse is that my cell phone and Palm TX both use a non-standard USB
cable for data and require a separate charger.

Paul Sture

Jan 8, 2006, 8:22:04 AM1/8/06

But that argument doesn't necessarily hold:

My Canon i250 inkjet (100 USD new) doesn't need a power brick.
My HP LaserJet which is huge in comparison has a large power brick.

10 years ago my "on the road kit" consisted of

Toshiba 486 laptop - no brick, and sensed 110/220 Volts itself
Canon BJ printer - can't remember, but if it had a brick it was small
Modem and small power brick

and that all fitted into my briefcase.

Go figure...

Geoffrey F. Green

Jan 8, 2006, 8:26:42 AM1/8/06
In article <42chvtF...@individual.net>,
Paul Sture <paul....@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Geoffrey F. Green wrote:

> >>But the combination of the device and power brick is most likely to be
> >>larger
> >>than if the two are combined in a single package.
> >

> > Yes, but for me, at least, desk space is at a premium. I have all
> > sorts of crap on the floor, and it doesn't get in my way on a
> > day-to-day basis. If my printer can be 5% smaller because of the lack
> > of a power supply, and my hard drive 7% smaller, then I'm all for it.
> >

> But that argument doesn't necessarily hold:
>
> My Canon i250 inkjet (100 USD new) doesn't need a power brick.
> My HP LaserJet which is huge in comparison has a large power brick.

Well, sure. But every device is different, and any device that does
without a power brick is most likely going to be larger than the same
device with one. So the Laserjet would probably be larger if it didn't
need a power brick, and the inkjet would be smaller without one. Just
like my TV set doesn't need a power brick, but my camcorder does.

- geoff

Jerry Kindall

Jan 8, 2006, 12:04:33 PM1/8/06
In article <BFE675D0.102888%rlh...@comcast.net>, Robert Haar
<rlh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 2006/1/7 6:27 PM, "Paul Russell" <prus...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > TaliesinSoft wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm curious as what these "advantages to the end user" might be.
> >>

> > Using a brick means that the device itself will be:
> >
> > - smaller
> > - lighter
> > - cooler
> > - safer (for various reasons)
> > - less prone to EMC/RFI problems
> >
> > There are also further practical advantanges, such as being able to
> > easily replace a power supply if it blows; being able to get an
> > alternate brick for use in a different country where the mains is a
> > different voltage and or uses a different connector; beign able to power
> > the device from DC in a mobile/portable/emergency situation.
>
> Light is of true only for the device itself. The combination with the power
> brick is likely to be heavier because of additional packaging and
> connectors.

Dunno about that. If the power supply is in the device, it may need
additional shielding (if the device has any audio or RF capabilities,
and what doesn't these days) and/or cooling hardware (heatsink, fan,
etc.). The tradeoffs are real and I wouldn't just assume that devices
could always be made the same size or smaller if the power supply were
integrated. (Yes, cost is also a factor, as is time-to-market.)

G.T.

Jan 8, 2006, 12:38:26 PM1/8/06

There are three widely spaced, opposing outlets for bricks and several
closer spaced outlets for regular plugs. We also have another brand at
work that is exactly as you designed, but since I haven't been to work
since this thread started I haven't been able to get the brand.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

Kevin Michael Vail

Jan 8, 2006, 1:18:18 PM1/8/06
In article
<howard-9DD172....@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,

Howard S Shubs <how...@shubs.net> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.BFE5330C...@news.supernews.com>,
> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > And.... In my case the accumulation is cat hair!
>
> While I know a solution for the accumulation of dog hair, I've not yet
> figured one out for cat hair.

Get a dog.

:-)
--
Kevin Michael Vail | "This is so cool I have to go to the bathroom!"
ke...@vaildc.net | -- Calvin

Howard S Shubs

Jan 8, 2006, 3:55:53 PM1/8/06
In article <kevin-5A7033....@news.verizon.net>,
Kevin Michael Vail <ke...@vaildc.net> wrote:

> Get a dog.
>
> :-)

Thpt.

dfri...@hotmail.com

Jan 8, 2006, 7:55:55 PM1/8/06

TaliesinSoft wrote:
> I've ranted on this before and I'm ranting yet again.
>
> Those engineers that somehow decide that whatever they are putting together
> needs a power brick can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.
>
> My significant other and I have a total of over thirty power bricks between
> us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip some of them cover
> three. In those cases a purchase of a short extension cord was necessary.
> Some of them are a bit more "user friendly" in that the brick itself doesn't
> plug in directly but comes with its own extension cord.
>
> As it appears to me, the powerbrick is just a gimmick to make whatever it
> powers look smaller or more stylish on the desktop. There are instances where
> the brick itself is almost as big as the item it powers--just remember the
> infamous Macintosh Cube.
>
> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to hold
> the ingredients of the powerbrick.

While I agree with you in many cases (routers, USB hubs, etc), there
are some cases where powerbricks are important. Namely, portable
devices like laptops and iPods.
--
Dave Fritzinger
Honolulu, HI

TaliesinSoft

Jan 8, 2006, 8:29:23 PM1/8/06
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 18:55:55 -0600, dfri...@hotmail.com wrote
(in article <1136662096.6...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):

> While I agree with you in many cases (routers, USB hubs, etc), there
> are some cases where powerbricks are important. Namely, portable
> devices like laptops and iPods.

Somewhere in the various postings in this thread I did agree that for
portable devices a powerbrick has its place. My objection is for those
instances where the device with the powerbrick is not so intended.

Bob Blaylock

Jan 8, 2006, 10:15:35 PM1/8/06
In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> I've ranted on this before and I'm ranting yet again.
>
> Those engineers that somehow decide that whatever they are putting together
> needs a power brick can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.
>
> My significant other and I have a total of over thirty power bricks between
> us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip some of them cover
> three. In those cases a purchase of a short extension cord was necessary.
> Some of them are a bit more "user friendly" in that the brick itself doesn't
> plug in directly but comes with its own extension cord.

I agree that it is very aggravating, with a limited number of outlets
on a limited number of power strips, to have one power supply hogging
two or three spaces.

> And while I'm on my rant, one has to also remember that just because a
> powerbrick can plug into a device does not mean that that particular
> powerbrick has the correct voltage and such for the device it is plugged
> into. And, how many powerbricks are labelled with the identity of the device
> to which they need to be associated? How many devices that require a
> powerbrick state the requirements of the brick?

Nearly every such device that I have ever seen has, near the power
connector, a short statement indicating its voltage and current
requirements, and a symbol indicating the connector polarity; and nearly
every power "brick" I have seen has had similar statements and symbols
as well; making it easy to determine which power supply will work with
which device.

--
"Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information
Purification Directives. ... Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful

TaliesinSoft

Jan 8, 2006, 10:47:57 PM1/8/06
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:15:35 -0600, Bob Blaylock wrote (in article
<BobHatesSpam-EB2D...@azure.impulse.net>):

> Nearly every such device that I have ever seen has, near the power
> connector, a short statement indicating its voltage and current
> requirements, and a symbol indicating the connector polarity; and nearly
> every power "brick" I have seen has had similar statements and symbols as
> well; making it easy to determine which power supply will work with which
> device.

I just now checked several connectors and none of them had any indication of
the voltage. That information is indeed commonly found on the brick itself,
but is usually awkward to get to as the bricks are most likely sitting out of
easy reach on the floor.

Wes Groleau

Jan 8, 2006, 11:44:44 PM1/8/06

G.T. wrote:
> Wes Groleau wrote:
>>
>> G.T. wrote:
>>
>>> They already exist.

>>> http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.energy-solution.com/...

>> How's that, James?
>
> There are three widely spaced, opposing outlets for bricks and several

> closer spaced outlets ....

I appreciate the clarification, although I was actually
asking James (who started the rant which I sort of agree
with) how he liked the product you mentioned. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.
-- Samuel Butler, 1612-1680

Wes Groleau

Jan 8, 2006, 11:53:01 PM1/8/06
dfri...@hotmail.com wrote:
> While I agree with you in many cases (routers, USB hubs, etc), there
> are some cases where powerbricks are important. Namely, portable
> devices like laptops and iPods.

A "power brick" for an iPod? When I bought a Palm III PDA
partly because it fits in my pocket, I was amazed at some
of the stupid accessories people tried to sell me. Like
a protective titanium case that not only prevents putting
it in a pocket but probably prevents hearing it beep when
it's time to go to a meeting.

Now we have the marvelous hide-in-your-pocket iPod, and people
are buying boombox-sized speaker consoles to insert iPods into.

:-)

--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable.
-- John F. Kennedy

Jerry Kindall

Jan 9, 2006, 12:07:10 AM1/9/06
In article <0001HW.BFE71893...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

One nice feature about devices with bricks: assuming they output DC
rather than AC, it's usually pretty trivial to rig up a simple
lead-acid battery (and a diode) in-line to provide battery backup power
to the device. I remember a hardware hack for the Apple IIc that did
that, back in the day. Lots simpler and cheaper than an AC UPS.

TaliesinSoft

Jan 9, 2006, 12:11:51 AM1/9/06
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:53:01 -0600, Wes Groleau wrote
(in article <N_lwf.17479$v84.10577@trnddc06>):

> Now we have the marvelous hide-in-your-pocket iPod, and people
> are buying boombox-sized speaker consoles to insert iPods into.

I guess I'm one of those "people", having purchased both an iPod nano and a
Bose SoundDock. When taking my daily walk, I can use my nano with ear buds
and enjoy music along with the scenery. When at home I can plug the nano into
the SoundDock and enjoy the same playlists while the battery in the nano is
being recharged.

And just to keep us on topic with the thread, the SoundDock came with one of
those dreaded powerbricks which is lying on the floor.

TaliesinSoft

Jan 9, 2006, 12:17:27 AM1/9/06
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:44:44 -0600, Wes Groleau wrote (in article
<0Tlwf.17366$v84.9215@trnddc06>):

[referring to the "Smart Power Strips" that sense whether power is needed and
turn on and off in response to such sensing, eliminating the trickling of
current which is often not needed]

> I appreciate the clarification, although I was actually asking James (who
> started the rant which I sort of agree with) how he liked the product you
> mentioned. :-)

I found the description (reached through that record breaking in length URL)
quite interesting. But I'm still for incorporating the powerbrick within
those items that are meant to remain on the desktop.

G.T.

Jan 9, 2006, 1:50:34 AM1/9/06
Wes Groleau wrote:

> G.T. wrote:
>
>> Wes Groleau wrote:

>>> How's that, James?
>>

>> There are three widely spaced, opposing outlets for bricks and several
>> closer spaced outlets ....
>

> I appreciate the clarification, although I was actually
> asking James (who started the rant which I sort of agree
> with) how he liked the product you mentioned. :-)

Too funny. My mind sticks more on the sender's name since I see that
more than the person's actual name. So I thought you were being
sarcastic as I didn't think there was a James involved in the thread.

luxor...@yahoo.com

Jan 9, 2006, 3:25:22 AM1/9/06

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 00:33:31 -0600, thus spake TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com>:

>I've ranted on this before and I'm ranting yet again.
>
>Those engineers that somehow decide that whatever they are putting together
>needs a power brick can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.
>
>My significant other and I have a total of over thirty power bricks between
>us. Some of them cover two outlets in the power strip some of them cover
>three. In those cases a purchase of a short extension cord was necessary.
>Some of them are a bit more "user friendly" in that the brick itself doesn't
>plug in directly but comes with its own extension cord.
>
>As it appears to me, the powerbrick is just a gimmick to make whatever it
>powers look smaller or more stylish on the desktop. There are instances where
>the brick itself is almost as big as the item it powers--just remember the
>infamous Macintosh Cube.
>
>There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to hold
>the ingredients of the powerbrick.
>
>And while I'm on my rant, one has to also remember that just because a
>powerbrick can plug into a device does not mean that that particular
>powerbrick has the correct voltage and such for the device it is plugged
>into. And, how many powerbricks are labelled with the identity of the device
>to which they need to be associated? How many devices that require a
>powerbrick state the requirements of the brick?
>
>Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
>product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the hell that my
>significant other and I have experienced.

Keep ranting! You're 100 percent correct about all of this.
Don't forget that power bricks always hog the power strip too
and most of us lose two outlets for every one used for
the power brick.

luxor...@yahoo.com

Jan 9, 2006, 3:40:52 AM1/9/06

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:25:22 GMT, thus spake me:

Ooops! You did mention this. My mistake.

Gregory Weston

Jan 9, 2006, 7:25:52 AM1/9/06
In article <0001HW.BFE4BCDB...@news.supernews.com>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> As it appears to me, the powerbrick is just a gimmick to make whatever it
> powers look smaller or more stylish on the desktop. There are instances where
> the brick itself is almost as big as the item it powers--just remember the
> infamous Macintosh Cube.
>
> There is no reason why the item powered cannot itself be large enough to hold
> the ingredients of the powerbrick.

Marketing? There's no technical reason for a whole lot of
characteristics of current hardware and software, but for some people
the amount of space taken up by the machine _does_ matter - and not just
because it's "stylish."

> And, how many powerbricks are labelled with the identity of the device
> to which they need to be associated?

Too few.

> Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
> product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the hell that my
> significant other and I have experienced.

What makes you think they don't?

--
Goal 2005: Convincing James Hetfield to cover the Strawberry Shortcake
"Are You Berry Berry Happy?" song.

Ross Bernheim

Jan 9, 2006, 9:59:01 AM1/9/06
Helpful Harry <helpfu...@nom.de.plume.com> wrote:

There are numerous reasons to go to an external power supply. Weight and
heat and space are the commonly cited reasons. But there is another
important reason. Regulatory.

If you hook a line votage into a device you need to meet the regulatory
standards for line voltage devices. Very expensive. Use an external
power supply and only supply low voltages to the device and you only
need to meet low voltage device regulations. Only the external brick
needs to meet the togher specs and because it is relatively small, it is
easy to provide the space and insulation, etc. to meet the specs without
a lot of cost.

Ross Bernheim

When I'm on a golf course and it starts to rain and lightning, I hold up
my one iron, 'cause I know even God can't hit a one iron. (Lee Trevino)

TaliesinSoft

Jan 9, 2006, 10:16:08 AM1/9/06
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:25:52 -0600, Gregory Weston wrote (in article
<uce-3C619C.0...@comcast.dca.giganews.com>):

[responding to my having stated]

>> Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
>> product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the hell
>> that my significant other and I have experienced.
>
> What makes you think they don't?

I've just got a gut feeling!

TaliesinSoft

Jan 9, 2006, 10:24:41 AM1/9/06
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 08:59:01 -0600, Ross Bernheim wrote
(in article <1h8tbi4.5ma44u1jr6xkN%rossbe...@speakeasy.net>):

> If you hook a line votage into a device you need to meet the regulatory
> standards for line voltage devices. Very expensive. Use an external
> power supply and only supply low voltages to the device and you only
> need to meet low voltage device regulations. Only the external brick
> needs to meet the togher specs and because it is relatively small, it is
> easy to provide the space and insulation, etc. to meet the specs without
> a lot of cost.

But how about devices that provide a space within the device itself into
which the powerbrick can slide, thus providing the flexibility of the brick
without the nuisance.

Wes Groleau

Jan 10, 2006, 12:07:16 AM1/10/06

Gregory Weston wrote:

> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:
>>Other than the aforementioned rotting in hell, maybe every engineer or
>>product designer should perhaps spend some time experiencing the hell that my
>>significant other and I have experienced.
>
> What makes you think they don't?

In the same vein, every person who designs an "easy-open"
perforated box should be required to open one every week.
If it doesn't tear along the perforations, he/she loses
a half-day's pay. If he/she shows the slightest sign of
irritation, two days pay.

--
Wes Groleau
"Lewis's case for the existence of God is fallacious."

Ross Bernheim

Jan 12, 2006, 10:33:30 AM1/12/06
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.com> wrote:

> > If you hook a line votage into a device you need to meet the regulatory
> > standards for line voltage devices. Very expensive. Use an external
> > power supply and only supply low voltages to the device and you only
> > need to meet low voltage device regulations. Only the external brick
> > needs to meet the togher specs and because it is relatively small, it is
> > easy to provide the space and insulation, etc. to meet the specs without
> > a lot of cost.
>
> But how about devices that provide a space within the device itself into
> which the powerbrick can slide, thus providing the flexibility of the brick
> without the nuisance.

It has been a while since I read the regulations, so I do not remember
the relevant parts well enough to comment on such a configuration. I
would suspect that sliding the power brick inside the device would then
mean that the device would be subjet to the higher voltage standards
since the line voltage now enters the device.

Ross Bernheim

We are confronted by insurmountable opportunities.?Walt Kelly, From Pogo