power consumption powermac g5

Eckhard Giere

Mar 25, 2005, 5:11:46 AM3/25/05

sometimes I check the power consumption of my powermac G5 dual 2 GHz
with 1.5 MB RAM under OS 10.3.8.

Recently I noticed that it uses about 40 - 44 W in the sleeping mode and
even about 31 - 35 W when switched off. A year ago it had been 10 W and
2 W respectively which is what Apple states in some technical document
whereas the actual data are much to high.

I tried several things in quest for the cause: Starting from an external
drive with OS 10.3.1, reducing the memory, disconnecting any external
device... No success.

Has anyone experienced the same phenomenon? Any idea what might be the
reason for the exceptional power consumption?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Eckhard

Repeating Rifle

Mar 25, 2005, 4:01:44 PM3/25/05
in article giere-2C8043....@news.rz.tu-clausthal.de, Eckhard
Giere at gi...@math.tu-clausthal.de wrote on 3/25/05 2:11 AM:

How do you measure the power? Measuring ac volts and amperes and multiplying
them will not give a good indication of what actual energy, as summed up by
your power company's energy (watt-hour) meter, will indicate. This is
especially true for chopping power supplies and peak reading meters that are
merely calibrated in rms for pure sine waves.

Bill

Eckhard Giere

Mar 26, 2005, 5:06:41 AM3/26/05
In article <BE69BC45.36561%salm...@sbcglobal.net>,
Repeating Rifle <salm...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> in article giere-2C8043....@news.rz.tu-clausthal.de, Eckhard
> Giere at gi...@math.tu-clausthal.de wrote on 3/25/05 2:11 AM:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > sometimes I check the power consumption of my powermac G5 dual 2 GHz
> > with 1.5 MB RAM under OS 10.3.8.
> >
> > Recently I noticed that it uses about 40 - 44 W in the sleeping mode and
> > even about 31 - 35 W when switched off. A year ago it had been 10 W and
> > 2 W respectively which is what Apple states in some technical document
> > whereas the actual data are much to high.

> How do you measure the power? Measuring ac volts and amperes and multiplying
> them will not give a good indication of what actual energy, as summed up by
> your power company's energy (watt-hour) meter, will indicate. This is
> especially true for chopping power supplies and peak reading meters that are
> merely calibrated in rms for pure sine waves.
>
> Bill

I use a device called PeakTech 9024 made in particular for determining
the power consumption. I checked it with other consumers whose
consumption I knew precisely. So, the measurement seems to be correct.

Today I noticed another strange thing: The meter is installed such that
it measures now also the consumption of all devices plugged into a
multiple plug. The computer in sleeping mode I switched on the
DSL-router and I expected the consumption to increase but the opposite
happened, the overall consumption decreased. This means that the
consumption of the Powermac decreases considerably when there is a
signal at the ethernet port. Very strange.

Any ideas?

Tom Stiller

Mar 26, 2005, 7:23:46 AM3/26/05
In article <giere-EDED32....@news.rz.tu-clausthal.de>,
Eckhard Giere <gi...@math.tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

What is the state of the "Wake for Ethernet network administrator
access" checkbox in the Energy Saver "Options" pane? Does switching
that make any difference?

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

Eckhard Giere

Mar 27, 2005, 5:11:04 AM3/27/05
In article <tomstiller-9EE8E...@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Tom Stiller <tomst...@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <giere-EDED32....@news.rz.tu-clausthal.de>,
> Eckhard Giere <gi...@math.tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
>
> > In article <BE69BC45.36561%salm...@sbcglobal.net>,
> > Repeating Rifle <salm...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > > in article giere-2C8043....@news.rz.tu-clausthal.de, Eckhard

> > I use a device called PeakTech 9024 made in particular for determining

> > the power consumption. I checked it with other consumers whose
> > consumption I knew precisely. So, the measurement seems to be correct.
> >
> > Today I noticed another strange thing: The meter is installed such that
> > it measures now also the consumption of all devices plugged into a
> > multiple plug. The computer in sleeping mode I switched on the
> > DSL-router and I expected the consumption to increase but the opposite
> > happened, the overall consumption decreased. This means that the
> > consumption of the Powermac decreases considerably when there is a
> > signal at the ethernet port. Very strange.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> What is the state of the "Wake for Ethernet network administrator
> access" checkbox in the Energy Saver "Options" pane? Does switching
> that make any difference?

The option was deselected but it makes no difference when I choose the
option "Wake vor Ethernet network administrator".

Nevertheless, it seems that something is wrong with the Ethernet port.
Also, I have still the problem with increased activity of the fans. This
was supposed to be bug in 10.3.8.