M.U.L.E. for Mac?

Aaron Bos

Jun 30, 1993, 5:02:07 PM6/30/93

Does anyone know if M.U.L.E. exists for the Mac? In case you don't
remember, it was/is a pretty simple supply/demand game that was popular
on the old Ataris, Commodore 64, etc. It was also released a few years
ago for the Nintendo, but I have a Sega, so no help there.

If not, can anyone recommend a similar game? I'm looking for the main
focus to be on supply and demand; a more realistic simulation would
actually be ideal, but one that can be played relatively quickly and
w/out a degree in economics.

Thanks.

- Aaron Bos

Rick Russell

Jul 8, 1993, 1:42:31 AM7/8/93
In article <20sv0f$g...@thumper.cc.utexas.edu> fa...@thumper.cc.utexas.edu (Aaron Bos) writes:

+Does anyone know if M.U.L.E. exists for the Mac? In case you don't
+remember, it was/is a pretty simple supply/demand game that was popular
+on the old Ataris, Commodore 64, etc. It was also released a few years
+ago for the Nintendo, but I have a Sega, so no help there.

Ah, the Bunten brothers. I would pay big $$ for good ports or re-makes
of their games, for the Mac or PC. MULE, Heart of Africa, The Seven
Cities of Gold. Not to mention other EA classics like Racing
Destruction Set, Archon (I and II), Lords of Conquest, Mail Order
Monsters, etc etc ad infinitum.

No, I don't know how to get MULE, and it's a tragedy. I just thought
I'd drench the net in some nostalgia.

Rick, who knows the MULE theme music by heart.
..

--
# Rick Russell | TAMU Meteorology | wrr...@tamsun.tamu.edu #

Brad Andrews

Jul 8, 1993, 5:37:41 PM7/8/93

> --
> # Rick Russell | TAMU Meteorology | wrr...@tamsun.tamu.edu #

For those who may not have heard, Dan Bunten is now Dani Bunten....

I believe he/she is still working on games.

Brad Andrews
rb...@cas.org
All opnions are strictly mine

Tom R Courtney

Jul 8, 1993, 5:49:16 PM7/8/93
M.U.L.E. has not been ported to the Mac. You could get the Apple ][ card for
Macs that take them. That would get you a bunch of games.

Tom Courtney

Jim Nitchals

Jul 9, 1993, 1:16:42 AM7/9/93
wrr...@tamsun.tamu.edu (Rick Russell) writes:

>Ah, the Bunten brothers. I would pay big $$ for good ports or re-makes
>of their games, for the Mac or PC. MULE, Heart of Africa, The Seven
>Cities of Gold. Not to mention other EA classics like Racing
>Destruction Set, Archon (I and II), Lords of Conquest, Mail Order
>Monsters, etc etc ad infinitum.

I did the Mac port of Archon. It only runs on Mac Plus style machines
that have page-flipping video, but it had multi-channel sampled sound
and ran pretty smoothly. It's copy-protected, which I strongly
opposed because I knew it would break on future Macintosh models.

EA hasn't sold any in a long time, and it didn't sell well when it
was released (and it was compatible with all the Macs out there at
the time.) Maybe my port sucked and EA got the impression that Mac
games don't sell well; maybe they didn't do a good job marketing it.
Who knows... <sigh>

Anyway, as I recall, someone did a 7 Cities of Gold port that met
with a similar fate.

>No, I don't know how to get MULE, and it's a tragedy. I just thought
>I'd drench the net in some nostalgia.

The decision not to port MULE was based on lack of multi-player input
devices for the Mac. The auctions *need* multi-player interaction
to work right.

>Rick, who knows the MULE theme music by heart.

--

-- Jim Nitchals <ji...@netcom.com>

Jerome Chan

Jul 9, 1993, 1:47:53 AM7/9/93
In article <jimn8C9...@netcom.com>, ji...@netcom.com (Jim Nitchals)
wrote:

You can use AppleTalk or MacTCP it over internet now with each player on a
seperate mac. :)

---
The Evil Tofu

Rick Russell

Jul 9, 1993, 3:05:30 AM7/9/93
In article <jimn8C9...@netcom.com> ji...@netcom.com (Jim Nitchals) writes:

+The decision not to port MULE was based on lack of multi-player input
+devices for the Mac. The auctions *need* multi-player interaction
+to work right.

Couldn't some elementary creativity have solved this problem? The
other versions used the keyboard for extra players, couldn't the Mac
have done the same?

Although I must admit the mouse would have made a poor directional
controller for the MULE installation phase.

Rick, who jealously guards his working Commodore 128.

Eric R. Lindahl

Jul 9, 1993, 9:33:16 AM7/9/93
Don't ask; it's not for sale.
rice...@aol.com
this message not written by
Eric Lyndahl hom...@unomaha.edu

G. Galcik

Jul 13, 1993, 12:46:27 PM7/13/93
In comp.sys.mac.games, wrr...@tamsun.tamu.edu (Rick Russell) writes:
>Ah, the Bunten brothers. I would pay big $$ for good ports or re-makes
>of their games, for the Mac or PC. MULE, Heart of Africa, The Seven
>Cities of Gold. Not to mention other EA classics like Racing
>Destruction Set, Archon (I and II), Lords of Conquest, Mail Order
>Monsters, etc etc ad infinitum.

Sigh. Yeah, wasn't Eletronic Arts the best? They were the people I wanted to
work for when I grew up.

Sometimes my brother and I would play four-player MULE, by ourselves. that was
pretty intense. I was Death in Archon and Adept. Mail Order Monsters was always
challenging.

I miss those games.

Greg Galcik tm|bg Since I work for the government, God
gal...@sinbad.navsses.navy.mil | help me if my opinions are the same
An Equal Opportunity Annoyer. mst3k as my employer's.
-----------My Extremely Tiny FTP Server: spider.navsses.navy.mil-----------