Marathon -- what does Ingue Ferroque mean?

H Petteri Sulonen

Feb 24, 1995, 4:07:31 AM2/24/95
Most of the Marathon level names are funny and understandable, but Ingue
Ferroque has me floored. I know a little Latin, but the only word close
to Ingue that I can find is ingu|en / -inis, meaning "groin". Also,
"ingue" is not a legal form of it. Furthermore, "by groin and by iron"
wouldn't make much sense, would it?

I wonder if the folks at Bungie have made a little boo-boo. If it were
"Igni ferroque" it would mean "by fire and by iron", a phrase used by
someone or other when he described what he was going to use on an enemy
city... (Steel wasn't used much in those days.)

-- Petteri (rambling...)

Ben Hines

Feb 24, 1995, 4:54:57 PM2/24/95
In article <3ik7kj$m...@kruuna.helsinki.fi> H Petteri Sulonen,

psul...@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>Most of the Marathon level names are funny and understandable, but Ingue
>Ferroque has me floored. I know a little Latin, but the only word close
>to Ingue that I can find is ingu|en / -inis, meaning "groin". Also,
>"ingue" is not a legal form of it. Furthermore, "by groin and by iron"
>wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Well, I don't know what Ingue Ferroque means, but what does "Cupiditus
Preamuim Suum Est" mean?.. It's also in there, somewhere... :)

Hint: Get Mia, the new marathon map editor, from ftp.amug.org or
http://www.amug.org/~marathon/spy/

-Ben

-- bhi...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu
"I think our generation loves our pain, and if you dare take it away from
us,
<http://sdcc13.ucsd.edu/~bhines> we're going to kill you." -tori
amos

Doug Yanega

Feb 24, 1995, 9:00:10 PM2/24/95
In article <3ilkjh$h...@network.ucsd.edu>, Ben Hines
<bhi...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> In article <3ik7kj$m...@kruuna.helsinki.fi> H Petteri Sulonen,
> psul...@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> >Most of the Marathon level names are funny and understandable, but Ingue
> >Ferroque has me floored. I know a little Latin, but the only word close
> >to Ingue that I can find is ingu|en / -inis, meaning "groin". Also,
> >"ingue" is not a legal form of it. Furthermore, "by groin and by iron"
> >wouldn't make much sense, would it?

I suspect it's from the same root as the word "ingot", so Ingue Ferroque
is probably a French version of Iron Bar (I don't think it's Latin). Of
course, it could mean "Iron Groin"... ;-)
--
Doug Yanega
Illinois Natural History Survey, Center for Biodiversity

Tim Seufert

Feb 25, 1995, 2:56:38 AM2/25/95
In article <dyanega-2402...@catalpa.inhs.uiuc.edu>,
dya...@denr1.igis.uiuc.edu (Doug Yanega) wrote:

> I suspect it's from the same root as the word "ingot", so Ingue Ferroque
> is probably a French version of Iron Bar (I don't think it's Latin). Of
> course, it could mean "Iron Groin"... ;-)

In the online chat with Jason Jones on EWorld, he said this:

BungieCorp : ok, you talked me into it. on the last level (which should
be spelled "Ignie Ferroque") there are three secret doors

So it would appear that the spelling in the game is just a typo. (U is
right next to I on the keyboard...)

| *UselessWastedSpace*(tm) Tim Seufert, bwa...@cats.ucsc.edu |
| Do the environment a favor. Use goat-flavored floppy disks. |
| Think about it, won't you? Thank you. |

Chacon, Octavious A

Feb 25, 1995, 1:06:00 PM2/25/95
In article <dyanega-2402...@catalpa.inhs.uiuc.edu>, dya...@denr1.igis.uiuc.edu (Doug Yanega) writes...

Sound more like "Balls of steel".

-OctAVious

Shadow of Death

Feb 25, 1995, 5:23:06 PM2/25/95
In article <3im839$r...@newsreader.wustl.edu>, acro...@artsci.wustl.edu
(Alan Charles Rosenkoetten) wrote:

> How about Habete Quidam (sp?) - sounds Arabic or something, though I
> don't really know... By the way, the Song of Roland is a good book, and
> not just because it mentions Durandel (some of the wierder
> Tyco/Durandel/Leela relations can be related, if only loosely...)

Well, Habete Quiddam is the name of one of the dudes who play tested the
network levels (SuperOperaBoy it says in the manual) However, even that
could be a handle, or mean something related to the board. I don't know...
--
The
Shadow "Just because you're paranoid,

Alan Charles Rosenkoetten

Feb 24, 1995, 10:27:37 PM2/24/95
H Petteri Sulonen (psul...@cc.helsinki.fi) wrote:
: Most of the Marathon level names are funny and understandable, but Ingue

Hmmm.... that all sounds reasonable... My Latin's not real good though...

How about Habete Quidam (sp?) - sounds Arabic or something, though I
don't really know... By the way, the Song of Roland is a good book, and
not just because it mentions Durandel (some of the wierder
Tyco/Durandel/Leela relations can be related, if only loosely...)

--
Gabe Rosenkoetter Don't say that I don't exist, because
acro...@artsci.wustl.edu by saying so, you nullify your own

Sue K. Gibson

Feb 26, 1995, 12:06:25 AM2/26/95
SuperOperaBoy is Jason the programmer. I watched him thrash everybody at
MacExpo without knowing who he was.

Chris Arsenault

Feb 28, 1995, 1:21:14 PM2/28/95
In article <3ik7kj$m...@kruuna.helsinki.fi>, psul...@cc.helsinki.fi (H
Petteri Sulonen) wrote:

> Most of the Marathon level names are funny and understandable, but Ingue
> Ferroque has me floored. I know a little Latin, but the only word close
> to Ingue that I can find is ingu|en / -inis, meaning "groin". Also,
> "ingue" is not a legal form of it. Furthermore, "by groin and by iron"
> wouldn't make much sense, would it?

It would if the meaning was "by an iron groin" or a similar connotation!

Thanks for the laugh,
Chris

tom wilson

Mar 1, 1995, 10:51:38 AM3/1/95
bwa...@cats.ucsc.edu (Tim Seufert) wrote:
>In the online chat with Jason Jones on EWorld, he said this:

> BungieCorp : ok, you talked me into it. on the last level (which should
> be spelled "Ignie Ferroque") there are three secret doors

>So it would appear that the spelling in the game is just a typo. (U is
>right next to I on the keyboard...)

I have two comments on this. First, this is really pathetic. A typo on one
of the level names! I can see it on one of the screens where Leela gives you
info (in fact, I know I read a typo somewhere - something like "he" in stead
of "the"). I guess the release was rushed too much. I guess a typo is better
than an executable bug.

Secondly, to the dumb-ass who claims a classical education. What a f#cking
fraud since you seemed to think Ignue is a Latin word. I was correct in that
it wasn't.

Tom

H Petteri Sulonen

Mar 1, 1995, 12:57:03 PM3/1/95

>In article <3ilkjh$h...@network.ucsd.edu>, Ben Hines
><bhi...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu> wrote:

>I suspect it's from the same root as the word "ingot", so Ingue Ferroque
>is probably a French version of Iron Bar (I don't think it's Latin). Of
>course, it could mean "Iron Groin"... ;-)

I know a lot more French than Latin, and Ingue Ferroque is _definitely_
not French. Ferroque _is_ Latin; it's the ablative (or possibly dative)
of ferr|um (iron, sword, any iron implement), meaning "by sword"; plus
-que, meaning "and".

-- Petteri

H Petteri Sulonen

Mar 1, 1995, 1:01:38 PM3/1/95
In <3im839$r...@newsreader.wustl.edu> acro...@artsci.wustl.edu (Alan Charles Rosenkoetten) writes:

>How about Habete Quidam (sp?) - sounds Arabic or something, though I
>don't really know... By the way, the Song of Roland is a good book, and
>not just because it mentions Durandel (some of the wierder
>Tyco/Durandel/Leela relations can be related, if only loosely...)

It's "Habe Quidam". It means simply "Have something!". (Sing. pres.
active of "habeo", to have, etc.; "quidam", pronoun; "something".

It's Latin, at least.

-- Petteri

John Alexander Chapman

Mar 1, 1995, 3:40:03 PM3/1/95
In article <chrisat-2802...@pslip001.pvd-ri.ids.net>,

Chris Arsenault <chr...@ids.net> wrote:

>> Most of the Marathon level names are funny and understandable, but Ingue
>> Ferroque has me floored. I know a little Latin, but the only word close
>> to Ingue that I can find is ingu|en / -inis, meaning "groin". Also,
>> "ingue" is not a legal form of it. Furthermore, "by groin and by iron"
>> wouldn't make much sense, would it?

>It would if the meaning was "by an iron groin" or a similar connotation!

Neato. It's so cool when a typo is more amusing than the original statement.

"By fire and iron" (ignie ferroque) is rather clever and epic, but it lacks
that deeprooted phallocentric attitude of guns that "ingue ferroque" gives.

Sue K. Gibson

Mar 2, 1995, 10:41:44 AM3/2/95
What about the women players?

.

Andrew J. Testa

Mar 2, 1995, 11:04:55 AM3/2/95
Will Price wrote:

: Inguine Ferroque

: The translation is, "By balls and by Iron", or perhaps more colloquially,
: "with balls of steel", the implication being that such would be required
: to complete the level. The error is not very severe, and it was fairly
: easy to figure out what was meant. The first word is simply not declined
: correctly, but there is no other possible translation. Any good Roman
: would have understood.

Ok, here comes the obligatory reference:

"What's that say? 'people called Romans, they go, the house'?"
"It says 'Romans go home'"
"No it doesn't!"

Andy, too embarased to leave his email address.

Stefan Haenssgen

Mar 2, 1995, 11:08:03 AM3/2/95
In article <3j2chf$h...@kruuna.helsinki.fi>, psul...@cc.helsinki.fi (H Petteri Sulonen) writes:
|> [...] Ferroque _is_ Latin; it's the ablative (or possibly dative)

|> of ferr|um (iron, sword, any iron implement), meaning "by sword"; plus
|> -que, meaning "and".

right. there's "igni ferroque" or something like that, with "igni" coming
from "ignis" (fire), meaning "with fire and sword". used in the usual
battle/war descriptions when destroying cities etc. cute those romans...

not sure about the exact spelling of "igni", but that's the expression,
at last in principle ;-)

ciao
Stefan

(yeah yeah, german trying to speak english explaining latin expressions
misspelled by americans and... no, just joking ;-)

,-----,------,--,--, Stefan Haenssgen, Comp Sci, Uni Karlsruhe, Germany
/ / / / / Email: haen...@ira.uka.de or haen...@acm.org
/ ---/-, ,-/ / / IRC: sth Phone: +49/721/593910 Fax: hoo nose
/ / / / / / Snail: Nuitsstr. 2c, D-76185 Karlsruhe, Germany
/--- / / / / / / <I collect postcards from all over the world *hint* :>
/ / / / / / / "Use the SOURCE, Luke!" (Return of the RedEye Nights)
'-----' '--' '--'--' "I feel a great disturbance in the SOURCE"

Shadow of Death

Mar 2, 1995, 5:02:42 PM3/2/95
In article <3j2f1m$q...@theopolis.orl.mmc.com>, twi...@sunny5.dab.ge.com
(tom wilson) wrote:

> habe quid(d)am - have some (not literally, but I imagine that's what is meant,
> also this is a command given to one person)
>
> habete quid(d)am - have some (a command given to more than one person)
>
> It's a name if you want a name like "Eat me!" or "Fuck you!" or "Piss off!"
>
> > Death
>
> or..uh...I see..I guess you do think it's a name
>
> Tom

Obviously someone does want a name like that because it's in the back of
the manual as someone's name. But of course (as I think I remember saying)
it's probably a handle and no more his/her birthname than The Shadow of
Death is mine...

Nat Lanza

Mar 3, 1995, 12:33:58 AM3/3/95
Alan Charles Rosenkoetten <acro...@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:

>places as well), is this something like "I have something" (as I've never

Pretty much. habere = have, hold, keep and quiddam = a certain thing.
'I have something' would be Habeo Aliquid, not Habete Quiddam. My guess
is that it's meant as a plural imperative: Have some, roughly.

By the way, about the "Ingue Ferroque" - I'm inclined to agree with the guy
who claimed it was supposed to be "Inguine Ferroque", or "by the groin and
iron" - roughly "with balls of steel". Igne Ferroque _does_ translate to
"by fire and sword", but that phrase is most commonly rendered in Latin as
"ferro atque igni" - "with fire and sword".

--Nat
--
___ __
(:)=========================(::)=/__/\/ /\:)=========================(:)

Randall K Petersen

Mar 1, 1995, 12:55:39 AM3/1/95
chr...@ids.net (Chris Arsenault) wrote:

=> > Most of the Marathon level names are funny and understandable, but Ingue
=> > Ferroque has me floored. I know a little Latin, but the only word close
=> > to Ingue that I can find is ingu|en / -inis, meaning "groin". Also,
=> > "ingue" is not a legal form of it. Furthermore, "by groin and by iron"
=> > wouldn't make much sense, would it?
=>
=> It would if the meaning was "by an iron groin" or a similar connotation!

As has already been posted, the term is apparently a typographical error.
Should be Igne ferroque, "by fire and iron".

Randy Petersen AKA Arzach _(:)->

<pete...@halcyon.com> Northwest Nexus (preferred)
<r...@u.washington.edu> University of Washington
<rkpet...@aol.com> America Online
<7212...@cis.com> Compu$erve

tom wilson

Mar 1, 1995, 1:39:49 PM3/1/95
lu...@aludra.usc.edu (Shadow of Death) wrote:
>In article <3im839$r...@newsreader.wustl.edu>, acro...@artsci.wustl.edu
>(Alan Charles Rosenkoetten) wrote:
>> How about Habete Quidam (sp?)

habe quid(d)am - have some (not literally, but I imagine that's what is meant,

also this is a command given to one person)

habete quid(d)am - have some (a command given to more than one person)

>Well, Habete Quiddam is the name of one of the dudes who play tested the

>network levels (SuperOperaBoy it says in the manual) However, even that
>could be a handle, or mean something related to the board. I don't know...

It's a name if you want a name like "Eat me!" or "Fuck you!" or "Piss off!"

> Death

or..uh...I see..I guess you do think it's a name

I guess Latin is an eternal language. There sure is a lot of it in this
futuristic game.

Da(te) mihi caput! Ede(te) me!

Tom

Will Price

Mar 1, 1995, 10:43:04 PM3/1/95
In article <3j256a$e...@theopolis.orl.mmc.com> tom wilson,

twi...@sunny5.dab.ge.com writes:
>bwa...@cats.ucsc.edu (Tim Seufert) wrote:
>>In the online chat with Jason Jones on EWorld, he said this:
>
>> BungieCorp : ok, you talked me into it. on the last level (which should
>> be spelled "Ignie Ferroque") there are three secret doors
>
>>So it would appear that the spelling in the game is just a typo. (U is
>>right next to I on the keyboard...)

Well, I'm afraid you're all wrong including Jason. I let him know at
MacWorld that the latin was not correct, but he didn't have anywhere to
write it down. The correct latin as intended is:

Inguine Ferroque

The translation is, "By balls and by Iron", or perhaps more colloquially,
"with balls of steel", the implication being that such would be required
to complete the level. The error is not very severe, and it was fairly
easy to figure out what was meant. The first word is simply not declined
correctly, but there is no other possible translation. Any good Roman
would have understood.

-Will
| Will Price | wpr...@primenet.com |
| ________ | http://www.primenet.com/~wprice |
| \ / | PGP key available by finger. |
| \ / | Encrypted e-mail encouraged. |
|____\ /______|_______________________________________|
\/

Alan Charles Rosenkoetten

Mar 1, 1995, 11:26:31 PM3/1/95
H Petteri Sulonen (psul...@cc.helsinki.fi) wrote:
: It's "Habe Quidam". It means simply "Have something!". (Sing. pres.

: active of "habeo", to have, etc.; "quidam", pronoun; "something".

: It's Latin, at least.

Ah yes, thanks, but now I have another question - Habete Quidam is the
screen name used by somebody at Bungie (might've been Jason Jones, I
don't remember - at any rate it's on page 19 of the manual and other

places as well), is this something like "I have something" (as I've never

taken Latin - I missed the two years of it at my current school, and am
now taking Homeric Greek - this is just a guess).

--
Gabe Rosenkoetter "My advice to you, my violent friend, is
acro...@artsci.wustl.edu to find a pile of gold, and sit on it."

Austin Cline

Mar 3, 1995, 1:32:44 PM3/3/95
In article <1995Mar2.1...@orion.bsuvc.bsu.edu>,

00bkpi...@bsuvc.bsu.edu (Brian K. Pickerill) wrote:

> > I guess Latin is an eternal language. There sure is a lot of it in this
> > futuristic game.
>

> They are partly referring back to the original Marathon. That's pretty
> cool, if you ask me.

Huh? They're trying to refer back to the *original* Marathon? Geez, I hope not.

Marathon = Greek battle with Persians, 490 BCE

Latin = language of Roman Empire, with classical Latin not taking hold
until well *after* 490 BCE. At that time, Rome was still in its infancy,
with the rule of the Etruscans having recently ended. Rome wasn't even a
republic yet, still being controlled by kings.

Connection? Well, both were a real long time ago, but so what?

Maybe they just picked the names because they sounded cool.

Austin Cline; German Department; Princeton University
---
...it is still a *metaphysical faith* that underlies our faith in science - and we...godless ones and anti-metaphysicians, we, too, derive *our* flame from the fire ignited by a faith millennia old, the Christian faith,...that God is truth, that truth is divine. -Friedrich Nietzsche; The Gay Science, 344

A. Pomeroy

Mar 2, 1995, 5:09:05 PM3/2/95
In article <3j256a$e...@theopolis.orl.mmc.com>, twi...@sunny5.dab.ge.com
(tom wilson) wrote:

> > BungieCorp : ok, you talked me into it. on the last level (which should
> > be spelled "Ignie Ferroque") there are three secret doors

> Secondly, to the dumb-ass who claims a classical education. What a f#cking

> fraud since you seemed to think Ignue is a Latin word. I was correct in that
> it wasn't.

Damn right too! But Bungie has now substituted one misprint for another. Try
"Igne Ferroque" -- "By Fire and Steel". Is this someone's motto?

--
A. Pomeroy (Arthur....@vuw.ac.nz)
Classics, Victoria University, PO Box 600, Wellington, New Zealand

'She was a winner, who became her doggy's dinner.' N. Lowe

Brian K. Pickerill

Mar 2, 1995, 10:26:35 AM3/2/95
> I guess Latin is an eternal language. There sure is a lot of it in this
> futuristic game.

They are partly referring back to the original Marathon. That's pretty

cool, if you ask me.

--Brian Pickerill <00bkpi...@bsuvc.bsu.edu>

Andrew C. Plotkin

Mar 3, 1995, 1:25:22 PM3/3/95
Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.games: 2-Mar-95 Re: Habe(te) Quiddam
(was R.. Brian K. Pickerill@bsuvc (237)

> > I guess Latin is an eternal language. There sure is a lot of it in this
> > futuristic game.

> They are partly referring back to the original Marathon. That's pretty
> cool, if you ask me.

Er, you mean the original Marathon that's in Greece?

--Z

Akira

Mar 1, 1995, 8:53:23 PM3/1/95
In article <3j256a$e...@theopolis.orl.mmc.com> twi...@sunny5.dab.ge.com (tom wilson) writes:
>First, this is really pathetic. A typo on one
>of the level names!...I guess the release was rushed too much.

*shakes head*

Four, five, was it SIX months late and the product was RUSHED?

Maybe it's a good idea to have copy editors for more than just manuals. . .

Rich
--
Rich "Akira" Pizor, pi...@lclark.edu | Oh what tangled webs we weave
Lewis and Clark College | When first we practice to deceive

H Petteri Sulonen

Mar 6, 1995, 11:45:27 AM3/6/95
In <3j3es8$k...@news.primenet.com> Will Price <wpr...@primenet.com> writes:

>Well, I'm afraid you're all wrong including Jason. I let him know at
>MacWorld that the latin was not correct, but he didn't have anywhere to
>write it down. The correct latin as intended is:

>Inguine Ferroque

>The translation is, "By balls and by Iron", or perhaps more colloquially,
>"with balls of steel", the implication being that such would be required
>to complete the level. The error is not very severe, and it was fairly
>easy to figure out what was meant. The first word is simply not declined
>correctly, but there is no other possible translation. Any good Roman
>would have understood.

That would make sense, but only if "balls" is also a Latin expression
(which I won't accept without a classical quote). Are you sure it's not
the quote "by fire and sword" describing how some city was to be
destroyed? (That would be "Igne ferroque", although, as stated, my Latin
isn't that strong.)

(This is one of the better threads at csmg, I think... :-)

-- Petteri

H Petteri Sulonen

Mar 6, 1995, 11:48:26 AM3/6/95
In <3j3hdn$s...@newsreader.wustl.edu> acro...@artsci.wustl.edu (Alan Charles Rosenkoetten) writes:

>H Petteri Sulonen (psul...@cc.helsinki.fi) wrote:
>: It's "Habe Quidam". It means simply "Have something!". (Sing. pres.
>: active of "habeo", to have, etc.; "quidam", pronoun; "something".

>: It's Latin, at least.

>Ah yes, thanks, but now I have another question - Habete Quidam is the
>screen name used by somebody at Bungie (might've been Jason Jones, I
>don't remember - at any rate it's on page 19 of the manual and other
>places as well), is this something like "I have something" (as I've never
>taken Latin - I missed the two years of it at my current school, and am
>now taking Homeric Greek - this is just a guess).

"Habete" is just the plural imperative; "habete quidam" means "you
(plural) have some(thing)", where "habe quidam" is "you (singular) have
some(thing)", both being "commands". I suppose the "some(thing)" refers
to bullets etc.

-- Petteri

R. Backley

Mar 10, 1995, 11:29:49 PM3/10/95
In article <3jfecq$l...@kruuna.helsinki.fi>, psul...@cc.helsinki.fi (H
Petteri Sulonen) wrote:

I have never taken latin, but I think it means "Have Some." If you find
the secret room on the last level, there is the terminal that talks about
the game and the staff. It says a few nick names that the staff
apparently go by. Such as Jason Jones: Super Oprea Boy and Have Some.

just my opinion,
RB

Julian Russell

Mar 13, 1995, 12:15:16 AM3/13/95
In article <3j2m33$i...@larry.rice.edu>, na...@owlnet.rice.edu (John
Alexander Chapman) wrote:

Maybe you need balls of steel to finish the level?

Insert witty remark or quote here :
'___________________________________________________________________'
Julian Russell Ph : (002) 202957 (University)
University of Tasmania (002) 672318 (Home)
e-mail : juli...@postoffice.utas.edu.au
Geek code:GCS d? -p+ c++ l? u e++ m---(*) s+/- n+ h* f+(++) g+ w+ t+ r- y+(?)

Chris Lam

Mar 16, 1995, 1:35:37 PM3/16/95

psul...@cc.helsinki.fi (H Petteri Sulonen) wrote:

;In <3j3es8$k...@news.primenet.com> Will Price <wpr...@primenet.com> writes:

;>Well, I'm afraid you're all wrong including Jason. I let him know at
;>MacWorld that the latin was not correct, but he didn't have anywhere to
;>write it down. The correct latin as intended is:

;>Inguine Ferroque

;>The translation is, "By balls and by Iron", or perhaps more colloquially,
;>"with balls of steel", the implication being that such would be required
;>to complete the level. The error is not very severe, and it was fairly
;>easy to figure out what was meant. The first word is simply not declined
;>correctly, but there is no other possible translation. Any good Roman
;>would have understood.

This is correct. At first sight, I took 'Ingue' to means 'By wit' as in
ingenuity but balls or groin is correct (from 'inguen')

;That would make sense, but only if "balls" is also a Latin expression

;(which I won't accept without a classical quote). Are you sure it's not
;the quote "by fire and sword" describing how some city was to be
;destroyed? (That would be "Igne ferroque", although, as stated, my Latin
;isn't that strong.)

Also right I believe. Been a while since I took my Latin A level.

The translation of 'Habe Quiddam' is trickier. I've seen it quoted as
'Keep a hold of yourself' which is rather loose.

Chris Lam

Mar 17, 1995, 5:03:51 AM3/17/95

;Alexander Chapman) wrote:

;> In article <chrisat-2802...@pslip001.pvd-ri.ids.net>,
;> Chris Arsenault <chr...@ids.net> wrote:
;> >
;> >> Most of the Marathon level names are funny and understandable, but Ingue
;> >> Ferroque has me floored. I know a little Latin, but the only word close
;> >> to Ingue that I can find is ingu|en / -inis, meaning "groin". Also,
;> >> "ingue" is not a legal form of it. Furthermore, "by groin and by iron"
;> >> wouldn't make much sense, would it?

It's in the ablative case, so it could mean by/with/from an iron groin. The
-que suffix seems superfluous; one could write 'ingue ferro' in which 'ferro'
is simply an adjective ('ferrus,ferra,ferrum' which I assume exists). But let's
not read too much into it the grammatical and stylistic implications of these 2
words; Bungie couldn't even decline 'inguen' correctly.

Some have suggested 'Have some' for 'Habe Quiddam'. I like 'Take that'.

Chris Lam

Mar 17, 1995, 5:17:19 AM3/17/95

arc...@phoenix.princeton.edu (Austin Cline) wrote:

;Marathon = Greek battle with Persians, 490 BCE

;Latin = language of Roman Empire, with classical Latin not taking hold
;until well *after* 490 BCE. At that time, Rome was still in its infancy,
;with the rule of the Etruscans having recently ended. Rome wasn't even a
;republic yet, still being controlled by kings.

;Connection? Well, both were a real long time ago, but so what?

Although Marathon is set in the future, I like the way it has that 'primitive'
feel about it, with classical Roman references. E.g. the bugs carry 'shock staffs'
which look like spears; the compilers wear long cloaks; the aliens are ranked by
colour (purple compilers are the toughest = purple was the Roman colour of royalty).
Nice touches.

Petteri Sulonen

Mar 18, 1995, 7:58:20 AM3/18/95
la...@aston.ac.uk (Chris Lam) writes:

>juli...@postoffice.utas.edu.au (Julian Russell) wrote:

>It's in the ablative case, so it could mean by/with/from an iron groin. The
>-que suffix seems superfluous; one could write 'ingue ferro' in which 'ferro'
>is simply an adjective ('ferrus,ferra,ferrum' which I assume exists). But let's
>not read too much into it the grammatical and stylistic implications of these 2
>words; Bungie couldn't even decline 'inguen' correctly.

However, the meaning would change -- inguine ferro would mean by/with/from an
iron groin, but inguine ferroque would mean "by groin and by iron/steel/sword".

>Some have suggested 'Have some' for 'Habe Quiddam'. I like 'Take that'.

Sounds idiomatic, certainly.

-- Petteri

CHeurich

Mar 21, 1995, 2:40:22 PM3/21/95
Ingue Ferroque - maybe "Blood and Iron"? Hmm?

G.O'Keefe

Mar 22, 1995, 12:02:37 PM3/22/95
Chris Lam (la...@aston.ac.uk) wrote:
| Some have suggested 'Have some' for 'Habe Quiddam'. I like 'Take that'.

I wondered when someone would figure that out. Alright, if you guys are
_so_ smart ;) what does this mean:

Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam lux delenda est.

I read it from a terminal in Welcome to the Revolution, Tycho said it to
Durandal. I had to rocket jump up to the terminal to read it to and it
was of zero use.

Gary
--
Gary O'Keefe, College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University, Cranfield,
BEDS MK43 0AL | +44 123 475 0111 x 5207 | "War is deception" - Sun Tzu

Brett Goldstock

Mar 23, 1995, 1:38:27 PM3/23/95
In article <3kpl7d$e...@xdm084.ccc.cranfield.ac.uk>, av943195@harare
(G.O'Keefe) wrote:

> Chris Lam (la...@aston.ac.uk) wrote:
>
> Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam lux delenda est.
>

> Gary
> --
> Gary O'Keefe, College of Aeronautics, Cranfield University, Cranfield,
> BEDS MK43 0AL | +44 123 475 0111 x 5207 | "War is deception" - Sun Tzu

Hmm. I'm pretty rusty on my Latin, but there's a famous line by some
historical figure, "Carthago delenda est", or "Carthage must be
destroyed." So draw your own conclusions...

Aaron Bergman

Mar 23, 1995, 5:48:17 PM3/23/95
In article <brett-23039...@brett.ph.albany.edu>,
br...@wadsworth.org (Brett Goldstock) wrote:

:In article <3kpl7d$e...@xdm084.ccc.cranfield.ac.uk>, av943195@harare

Well, would that be Cato?

As I think "lux" means "light", does that mean that the last part of the
statement is "light must be destroyed?"

Aaron

--
Aaron Bergman

<http://www.cis.yale.edu/~abergman/abergman.html>

Chris Lam

Mar 24, 1995, 7:04:19 AM3/24/95

av943195@harare (G.O'Keefe) wrote:

;I wondered when someone would figure that out. Alright, if you guys are

;_so_ smart ;) what does this mean:

;Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam lux delenda est.

;I read it from a terminal in Welcome to the Revolution, Tycho said it to
;Durandal. I had to rocket jump up to the terminal to read it to and it
;was of zero use.

Translates literally into

"Your plans all to us clearer are than the light has been destroyed"

Much better is

"All your plans are clearer to us than the extinguished light".

Mmm, still doesn't mean much does it?

Matthew Russotto

Mar 26, 1995, 2:57:57 PM3/26/95

Take it metaphorically-- remember, Durandal and Tycho have been
discussing the end of the universe-- that could be the "light has been
destroyed" .

G.O'Keefe

Mar 27, 1995, 12:04:50 PM3/27/95
Chris Lam (la...@aston.ac.uk) wrote:
| av943195@harare (G.O'Keefe) wrote:
| ;I wondered when someone would figure that out. Alright, if you guys are
| ;_so_ smart ;) what does this mean:
| ;Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam lux delenda est.

| Translates literally into

| "Your plans all to us clearer are than the light has been destroyed"

| Much better is
| "All your plans are clearer to us than the extinguished light".

Bloody romans. Thank goodness they're all dead now. Obtuse bastards. ;)

Matthew Russotto

Mar 27, 1995, 9:35:48 PM3/27/95
In article <3l6r7i$6...@xdm084.ccc.cranfield.ac.uk>,

}
}| Translates literally into
}| "Your plans all to us clearer are than the light has been destroyed"
}
}| Much better is
}| "All your plans are clearer to us than the extinguished light".
}
}Bloody romans. Thank goodness they're all dead now. Obtuse bastards. ;)

As I mentioned in another thread, try:

Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam lux. Tu delenda est.

IMO, probably intended to mean "All your plans are transparent* to us.
You must be destroyed."

*Assuming "clariora sunt quam lux" can be loosly translated as "clear
to light". I also considered "clear as day", but I don't think "lux"
can be translated as "day".

Chris Lam

Mar 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM3/30/95
cheu...@aol.com (CHeurich) wrote:

; Ingue Ferroque - maybe "Blood and Iron"? Hmm?

No. It means "with iron bollocks"

Noah Daniels

Apr 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/6/95

I thought it was a misspelling and was supposed to mean "Iron and Fire"...
what's a bollock?

--
-=Noah M. Daniels=-
{ndan...@cc.swarthmore.edu}