A-10 requirement question

Chris Krueger

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <4d9oom$f...@swen.emba.uvm.edu>, cmco...@moose.uvm.edu (Charles
M. Collins) wrote:

> how well will A-10 run on my Mac LCIII (20MB RAM, 25HMz, and an '030
> processor). email at cmco...@moose.uvm.edu or post here please
> either is fine. Thanks

You've definately got enough memory! I've never played A-10 on a 68030,
but judging from the performance on a friend's 68040, I wouldn't hold my
breath. Depending on just how slow you can tolerate the game, it will
either be playable or just silly.

With 20meg RAM, you maybe be able to put the game on a RAM disk... the
entire game takes up 10558k on my hard drive, which inludes 1.6 megs for
the training missions, which you don't need if you're not going to fly
them. The game itself wants 3900k RAM, so you could fit all of it in
without a problem, assuming your system eats up about 4000k... I don't
know how this would affect performance, but I'm sure it would help!

--
Chris Kreuger
akru...@madison.k12.wi.us

Phoebe Graubard

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
I have been playing A10 on my IIsi O30 running at 25Mhz (9MB RAM), and
I've have a lot of fun with it, though all in all the computer is barely
adaquate. In the Training Missions the action is pretty smooth if you
turn down the complexity, and it may be many hours of learning to deal
with flying the plane and the weapons systems before you begin to want
more. In the Germany missions, some are playable, like Antonov Armada,
and others are a bit rough, like Docklands. A lot of the action might
take place over the ocean or somewhere where detail is less and
framerate be quite acceptable. Eventually you will, as I do, find the
low framerate in areas of detail to be too frustrating to bear and have
to start saving for an upgrade or a new computer.

Ken Spiker

Hans-Peter Raue

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
Unfortunately your computer may be to slow, I haven't tried it on my
old IIsi but even F/A-18v1 ran only at reduced frame rates and both
the flight model and the scenery were a lot less dense than those of
A-10. If you just want a flight Sim on a IIsi try Falcon MC with
reduced scenery setting (not much fun but better than nothing). If
you do want the realism of A-10 I think you're out of luck and may
have to spend the bucks to get a PPC.

Hans-Peter

Sandy Redding

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96

Tried out the A-10 on an LCIII... The frame rate is so slow that it much more difficult
to fly than an 040. Good luck... If you get good with an 020, you'll be a maniac on an
040.

--
)|(
(o o)

Mad Dan Eccles

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96

Talking of RAM disks, I loaded all Hornet 2.0.1 into a 30 MB RAM disk on a
8100/110, boy did that thing go.

Richard

--
Richard P. Grant MA DPhil rpg...@molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Oxford.

Mr N.C. Eastmond

Jan 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/18/96
You guys don't know you're BORN! Ever tried to run FA-18 and A-10 on a
Colour Classic? My machine, for the uninitiated, is a 68030 with 8 Megs
of RAM a co-pro and an extended VRAM chip. Top of the range stuff here.
A-10 won't load (as if it would). FA-18 will load (hell, it'll load on
a blinkin' SE/30) and will play in a very jerky manner with no ground
clutter. Sound is nice though and the speech works. The rule of thumb
when playing sims on low-end machines is to know how much button press
gives how much roll and anticipate when to roll out ahead of the plane
even commencing the maneouver. Do not fly low cos you will hit the ground
before you even know you have and forget fancy external views. Once
you have grasped this, shooting planes is not that hard. Landing is utterly
impossible. Just as well FA-18 has the autoland feature. I have tried
several time to land without it and alsway mis-anticipate the amount of
keypress needed to get the nose down. Result: no landing gear.

n...@liv.ac.uk