F/A-18 voices with only 6 Mb RAM! Yes!

Allen G. Newman

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
By booting from a partition containing System 6.0.8, I can run Hornet 2.0
WITH VOICES and all other options on my accelerated LC with only 6 Mb RAM
and no virtual memory (my machine doesn't support VM). Thank you, GSC,
for writing such broadly compatible code!

System 6 boots incredibly fast, and frees up a ton of memory by having a
tiny system heap and being able to give ALL remaining memory to Hornet --
one program at a time, remember? The set-up windows redraw a lot faster
too. I love System 7, but you don't need any of it for Hornet, and in
fact I usually can't fly at all with it because of my memory shortage. If
your machine will run 6.0.8 I whole-heartedly recommend it for Hornet 2.0.

With my 44Mhz 68030 card, I can run Complex scenery at about 2 fps, but I
only do that for sightseeing with damage options off. It looks like I'll
normally fly at Low detail. Medium is OK, too, but honestly, I can't see
much difference from Low, so I'll take the faster speed. I wish I could
have the fancy HUD and radar at that level, though -- I might even trade
some some scenery for it if it were up to me. How about providing such an
option in the next tweak, GSC?

--
Allen G. Newman /\ | | |_ | | Just Another Theater
ane...@charlie.usd.edu / \ |_ |_ |_ |\| Grad Student Geek