Cythera: Magic Sword in Northwest Castle (possible spoiler)

BoRyan Eberhard

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
I'm having difficulty reaching the magic sword in the castle. I've found the
hidden room with the poisoned water fountain, water on the floor and the
secret door, which I've been unable to open. I've searched bones of the dead
and found several keys and a paper. I've opened the chests and retrieved the
bombs. I tried blowing up the secret passageway, but nothing happens. Any
hints would be appreciated.

BoRyan

Brent Heustess

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
In article <7rls6l$qj9$1...@coward.ks.cc.utah.edu>, "BoRyan Eberhard"
<BoRyan....@m.cc.utah.edu> wrote:

BoRayan,

There are two levers in the Outer Temple. One closes the portcullis
making it very hard to get back if you die there. The other is hidden
under a chest and opens the secret door. They are in the same room.

Brent

ps. Always search bones. They will occasionally have nifty goodies.

pps. Spears can be used to Kill Hydras. They have a 2 hex range. You do
not get experience for using bombs.

Daniel Wijk

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
You need to find a hidden lever to open the secret pasageway, try looking
where you looked in the beginning of the game... it may be hidden under
something...

/Daniel Wijk
----------

Adrian Turkington

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In article <heustess-140...@reg032.reg.utexas.edu>,
heus...@mail.utexas.edu (Brent Heustess) wrote:

:pps. Spears can be used to Kill Hydras. They have a 2 hex range. You do

: not get experience for using bombs.

Arrows can too, but how can you use a spear without ending up throwing it?
or is that only the case with that magic spear I found?

"All great wisdom is found in Email Signatures."

--Adrian Turkington
e-mail: hell...@pil.net

Andrew Plotkin

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Adrian Turkington <Lo...@my.sig> wrote:
> In article <heustess-140...@reg032.reg.utexas.edu>,
> heus...@mail.utexas.edu (Brent Heustess) wrote:
>
> :pps. Spears can be used to Kill Hydras. They have a 2 hex range. You do
> : not get experience for using bombs.
>
> Arrows can too, but how can you use a spear without ending up throwing it?
> or is that only the case with that magic spear I found?

By the way, the Magic Cleanup Squad caused me to lose the spear without
even knowing it. I found the thing, gave it to an NPC, wielded it, and
started out of the dungeon. Naturally, on the upper level, there were some
trivial monsters. I didn't bother attacking them, but my NPCs did. I just
headed for the exit.

In LKH that night, the spear was gone. Oh, I said to myself. It must have
been a *thrown* weapon. I went back to look, and no, it wasn't there (or
anywhere).

I'm not sure whether this counts as a bug, a lapse of documentation, or a
funky design decision. It makes the spear awfully hard to use, though.

--Z

borogoves..."

Ehmke

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In article <7roacv$n...@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, Andrew Plotkin
<erky...@netcom.com> wrote:

> By the way, the Magic Cleanup Squad caused me to lose the spear without
> even knowing it. I found the thing, gave it to an NPC, wielded it, and
> started out of the dungeon. Naturally, on the upper level, there were some
> trivial monsters. I didn't bother attacking them, but my NPCs did. I just
> headed for the exit.
>
> In LKH that night, the spear was gone. Oh, I said to myself. It must have
> been a *thrown* weapon. I went back to look, and no, it wasn't there (or
> anywhere).
>
> I'm not sure whether this counts as a bug, a lapse of documentation, or a
> funky design decision. It makes the spear awfully hard to use, though.

I had this happen. It's an annoying "feature." What happened was
the spear got thrown and it stuck to the monster. If you open the
monster's corpse you'll find the spear again (although if it is a
monster with no corpse, a la polyps, then the spear disappears along
with the corpse... not cool). I got so annoyed with this that I stopped
using it.

-Andy

Adrian Turkington

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
In article <ehmke-15099...@ppp-151-164-40-68.rcsntx.swbell.net>,
eh...@blah.swbell.net (Ehmke) wrote:

:In article <7roacv$n...@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, Andrew Plotkin

If you use it on the hydras it falls underneath them. Mostly because the
hydra does not die when you chuch it the first time.