To Logicware: Mac Jazz JackRabbit 2

Johnny Rocket

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
I just downloaded the PC version (I happen to have a Mac and a Windows
computer BUT I only buy Mac games! RIGHT ON!) of Jazz JackRabbit2 and I want
to say that this game is EXCELLENT! Granted, it was only the demo but from
what I've seen and played so far, this game is a perfect change of pace from
Unreal, Myth, etc.
I only hope you guys make this game as "Mac-like" as possible.
Some questions:
1) Does it have a level editor included?
2) What are the game system requirements?
3) Will the CD be required to be in CDROM drive to play even after a FULL
install?
4) Does the game support any 3D accel?

THANK YOU! Keep up the great work!

Bill Heineman

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98

----------
In article <ulp32.3139$Pk4.1...@news.inreach.com>, jro...@earthlink.net
(Johnny Rocket) wrote:

No level editor is included, but it DOES read in PC level files.

System Requirements is any Power Macintosh (100Mhz or higher recommended)
with 640x400 color video minimum, 640x480 recommended.

If you install the entire game (About 71 Meg), you don't need the CD.

No 3D acceleration is supported but all visual effects are done in software
(Very fast since they are in PPC assembly)

I chose to do this game since I wanted some more "family" oriented games in
the Logicware lineup since Apple is targeting families with the iMac and
need to have a game my kids would like to play.

I mean, Killing Time is nice but very gory, Shattered Steel is a little
complicated and Redneck Rampage has a few @(#*@( words in it.

I am now in beta test of Jazz Jackrabbit. Just fixing a save / load game bug
and then a few visual glitches are all thats left from going golden master.

Burger

Howie Everstar

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
I have to admit that I'm REALLY sad about not having the opportunity to use
the JCS level maker. Don't get me wrong though, it's really cool that Mac
Jazz 2 will be able to read PC created levels (and there are ALOT of them
available too), but I was looking forward to creating some of my own.
The WolfEdit app is what makes Wolfenstein a long term playing experience
(yes, I do still play it).
With Jazz 2's beautiful layout capabilities, I wanted that JCS so bad.
Maybe you guys COULD release a Mac JCS later on (man, I hope so).
Well, I guess you can't you have everything.
Thanks for the effort! I can't wait to play it on my Mac.

In article <72njng$q3r$1...@supernews.com>, "Bill Heineman"

J. Driver

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
<bur...@logicware.com> wrote:

>No level editor is included, but it DOES read in PC level files.

You know, this attitude of not converting level editors is really starting
to irritate me. The only games I have that have editors are Warcraft II
and Civilization II. Granted, there are many excuses for not converting
them, but if the editor is not being converted out of laziness, when why
bother buying the Mac version of the game?

This does not irritate most people, but it does irritate me. Hopefully,
the price will be lower than the PC version.

--
J. Driver
Email: jdri...@idt.net

Howie Everstar

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
IMO, I don't think Logicware left the editor out because of laziness. I'm
as sad about it as anyone. From what I understand, the PC version of Jazz 2
not only came with the JCS editor but the original Jazz Jackrabbit was also
in the box.
BTW, I THINK Mac Jazz 2 is priced at $29.99 at the Logicware site.

If there's ANY WAY in the whole wide world that Burger could come up with
the JCS Editor at some future time. . . please do so! It's such a shame
that a way cool game like Jazz 2 has to be shorted of one of its most
entertaining parts (level design) just because its on a Mac.

In article <jdrive19-ya0240800...@news.idt.net>,

Bill Heineman

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

----------
In article <heverstar-ya024080...@news.inreach.com>,
heve...@earthlink.net (Howie Everstar) wrote:

>IMO, I don't think Logicware left the editor out because of laziness. I'm
>as sad about it as anyone. From what I understand, the PC version of Jazz 2
>not only came with the JCS editor but the original Jazz Jackrabbit was also
>in the box.
>BTW, I THINK Mac Jazz 2 is priced at $29.99 at the Logicware site.

Laziness????!?!? Let me see YOU convert 5000 lines of intel assembly in 4
weeks.
If you can do this, want a job?
I started Jazz on October 9th. Before that date not a single line of Jazz
Mac code existed. Currently the game is in beta test. And it's only November
16th.
Before Jazz, I was in a 12 week hell doing an original title called
Remington Top Shot for Win95. I did the MacOS version pretty much for free
for Head Games since I want more Mac titles.

I plan in the future to convert Jazz Creation Station (JCS) to the MacOS but
first I have to pay my bills with Jazz JackRabbit 2 shipping.

Luke Malish

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
In article <72q7g4$jf3$1...@supernews.com>, "Bill Heineman"
<bur...@logicware.com> wrote:

>Laziness????!?!? Let me see YOU convert 5000 lines of intel assembly in 4
>weeks.

I see another Shattered Steel coming. Of course were all willing to give
Logicware another chance, as long as they don't keep screwing up like they
did with SS and KT.

-Luke Malish

Remove "NOSPAM" to send me e-mail

Howie Everstar

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
WHOA! Hold on there! I DIDN'T say you were LAZY! I'm HAPPY that you made
the port!
Please understand that.

<bur...@logicware.com> wrote:

> ----------
> In article <heverstar-ya024080...@news.inreach.com>,
> heve...@earthlink.net (Howie Everstar) wrote:
>

> >IMO, I don't think Logicware left the editor out because of laziness. I'm
> >as sad about it as anyone. From what I understand, the PC version of Jazz 2
> >not only came with the JCS editor but the original Jazz Jackrabbit was also
> >in the box.
> >BTW, I THINK Mac Jazz 2 is priced at $29.99 at the Logicware site.
> >

> Laziness????!?!? Let me see YOU convert 5000 lines of intel assembly in 4
> weeks.

J. Driver

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

>IMO, I don't think Logicware left the editor out because of laziness. I'm
>as sad about it as anyone. From what I understand, the PC version of Jazz 2
>not only came with the JCS editor but the original Jazz Jackrabbit was also
>in the box.
>BTW, I THINK Mac Jazz 2 is priced at $29.99 at the Logicware site.

Here is an example of what I am trying to say: you own a private jet or a
luxury boat. You want to travel somewhere else abroad. So you get in your
vehicle and get about 2/3 of the way to your destination when you get
second thoughts about where you are going. So you turn back.

How stupid can someone get? You passed the point of no return long ago.

My point is that if companies want to port a hit PC game, which had an
editor, then they should convert the editor too. If they do not, then that
is not quite as bad as a game that does not support third-party files, but
it is a big turndown.

Edward J. Pollard

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
<bur...@logicware.com> wrote:

> >IMO, I don't think Logicware left the editor out because of laziness. I'm
> >as sad about it as anyone. From what I understand, the PC version of Jazz 2
> >not only came with the JCS editor but the original Jazz Jackrabbit was also
> >in the box.
> >BTW, I THINK Mac Jazz 2 is priced at $29.99 at the Logicware site.
> >

> Laziness????!?!? Let me see YOU convert 5000 lines of intel assembly in 4
> weeks.

Down Bill! Down!

And I quote

I don't think Logicware left the editor out because of laziness

^^^^^

See the negation? I think you should apologize to the poor fan you just
attacked , perhaps send him a free copy of Jazz ;-)

--
Edward J. Pollard - Macintosh/Win95 Technical Support
Remove the '[NoJunkMail]' from my email address to send me email.

Bill Heineman

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

----------
In article
<coceem04.no-16...@host-209-214-169-91.sdf.bellsouth.net>,
cocee...@spam.here.bellsouth.net (Luke Malish) wrote:

>In article <72q7g4$jf3$1...@supernews.com>, "Bill Heineman"
><bur...@logicware.com> wrote:
>
>>Laziness????!?!? Let me see YOU convert 5000 lines of intel assembly in 4
>>weeks.
>

>I see another Shattered Steel coming. Of course were all willing to give
>Logicware another chance, as long as they don't keep screwing up like they
>did with SS and KT.

Hard lessons were learned in the release of SS and KT. Don't forget that
since then two other titles, AstroRock 2000 and Tempest 2000 have been
released and they work fine. Since people hadn't been having problems with
them, no one says anything so all that is remembered is SS.

Believe me, I DO have an update for SS planned in the next few weeks. I took
time just before Remington Top Shot and locked myself in a closet to release
the Killing Time update version 1.1.1 which fixes all problems in Killing
Time.

After Jazz, I plan to lock myself in a closet and fix Shattered Steel once
and for all. Then I will release the Jazz Editor to the public domain (Not
Jazz the game, just the editor). And then I've got to do Battlezone.

Burger.

Howie Everstar

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Dear Burger,

I was responding to a previous e-mail and in NO WAY was I referring that
YOU are lazy. MY GOD, I sure as hell can't complain about someone who can
write assembly while I can't read it! =)
I was just saying that I was disappointed that JCS wasn't shipping with the
game. But with your comments below, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY and VERY THANKFUL
for the Mac Jazz 2 port. I can't wait to get it! This game is so cool.
Okay, okay, now go back to coding more assembly. =)

In article <72q7g4$jf3$1...@supernews.com>, "Bill Heineman" <bur...@logicware.com>

Howie Everstar

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

That's okay. I know Burger is working is friggin ass off and I'm MORE THAN
HAPPY to pay for my copy of Jazz 2. The fact that he's going to port the
Jazz Editor made my day!

Luke Malish

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
In article <72qudk$4sq$1...@supernews.com>, "Bill Heineman"
<bur...@logicware.com> wrote:

>Hard lessons were learned in the release of SS and KT. Don't forget that
>since then two other titles, AstroRock 2000 and Tempest 2000 have been
>released and they work fine. Since people hadn't been having problems with
>them, no one says anything so all that is remembered is SS.

I heard that T2k was nearly done when you got it from Interplay, and
Astrorock 2000 demo looked alot like the first Astrorock to me.

>Believe me, I DO have an update for SS planned in the next few weeks. I took
>time just before Remington Top Shot and locked myself in a closet to release
>the Killing Time update version 1.1.1 which fixes all problems in Killing
>Time.

Thats good.

>After Jazz, I plan to lock myself in a closet and fix Shattered Steel once
>and for all. Then I will release the Jazz Editor to the public domain (Not
>Jazz the game, just the editor). And then I've got to do Battlezone.

Will Battlezone support internet play over Activisions servers like the PC
version?

Bill Heineman

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98

>I heard that T2k was nearly done when you got it from Interplay, and
>Astrorock 2000 demo looked alot like the first Astrorock to me.

Yes, T2K was almost finished but work did need to be done to finish it.
AstroRock 2000 only looks like the original, the engine was written from
scratch and network play was greatly improved with even more critters added
and the previous critters have new features.

>Will Battlezone support internet play over Activisions servers like the PC
>version?

Currently I hadn't looked at the network code for BattleZone. After I check
it out I'll let you know.

Burger