B e s t a l l a r o u n d 2 8 . 8. m o d e m ? ? ?

Claudio Corral

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
buy...(for 7100 PPC)
Thanks in advance,

--
Claudio Corral
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Richard Cardona

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
In article <marg-08119...@surgery177.surgery.nwu.edu>,
ma...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Claudio Corral) wrote:

> Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
> buy...(for 7100 PPC)
> Thanks in advance,

Since price didn't seem to be a requirement, how about the AT&T Paradyne
Comsphere

Bruce Levison

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
USR Sportster got great reviews from the press.

Best Regards,
Bruce

>Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
>buy...(for 7100 PPC)
>Thanks in advance,
>

>--
>Claudio Corral
>Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
>Northwestern University Medical School
>ma...@merle.acns.nwu.edu
><http://hsinfo.ghsl.nwu.edu/plast_surg>

Bruce Levison - s...@gate.net - (305) 561-4446
Save What¹s Left!® - http://www.netcreations.com/savewhatsleft/
One person can make a difference
and together we can change the world!

Murray Kastner

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95

> Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
> buy...(for 7100 PPC)
> Thanks in advance,

If money is no object, and fax software is unimportant, I'd choose the
USRobotics Courier or the high-end Motorola.

If money/value are factors, I'd choose either the Supra or the Global
Village. The Supra has more lights; the Global Village has the best fax
software available anywhere. It even includes a decent OCR function, too.

,\\urray

scott j lopez

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
US Robotics v.Everything.

--
Scott Lopez
slo...@pepboys.com

Jerry Kindall

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95

>Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
>buy...(for 7100 PPC)
>Thanks in advance,

A recent Macworld article gives the nod to the Motorola Power 28.8, and I
concur.

>--
>Claudio Corral
>Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
>Northwestern University Medical School
>ma...@merle.acns.nwu.edu
><http://hsinfo.ghsl.nwu.edu/plast_surg>

--
Jerry Kindall (kin...@manual.com)
Manual Labor: We Wrote The Book!

Glenn Sherrill

Nov 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/10/95
I've only used Supra and Motorola. Like the Motorola better. Does
better with my crappy phone lines.

gs

Stuart Burden

Nov 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/11/95
In article <marg-08119...@surgery177.surgery.nwu.edu>,
ma...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Claudio Corral) wrote:
| Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
| buy...(for 7100 PPC)
| Thanks in advance,

If you have a choice, don't go for a Prometheus CyberPhone - Lot's of
reasons, see other posts in this group.

Cheers.

Stuart.
--
ph...@deltanet.com

Uncle Dave

Nov 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/11/95
In article <483n1q$g...@clarknet.clark.net>, al...@clark.net (Alex Batson) wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 1995 16:05:02 -0500, Murray Kastner wrote:
> :
> : > Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
> : > buy...(for 7100 PPC)
> : > Thanks in advance,
> :

> : If money is no object, and fax software is unimportant, I'd choose the

> : USRobotics Courier or the high-end Motorola.
>

> Oh no.... I tested a Motorola LifeStyle 288, and it would NOT connect
> to our USR 288 sportsters. I got a reliable connection about two
> of every 12 times I dialed. I tried tons of init strings, and tried
> it out on my machine at home here, which usually has SupraFAX 288
> attached to it, and the motorola still failed constantly. Get
> either P. Peripherals, or Supra... your best bet...
>
> Alex
> --
> *&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&^*&
> Alexander R. Batson CNE Consultant, Mac Guru Ellicott City, MD
> Macintosh Shareware FTP: ftp.clark.net /pub/alexb
> USA

Ok, Alex, you made two posts on this issue: in one you connected 2 out of
10, in this post 2 out of 12. Are you refering to two "tests"? If not two
tests, your imprecision is showing. :)

Unk

Stuart Burden

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
Hi Scott.

In article <47vkl9$k...@sol.pepboys.com>, slo...@sol.pepboys.com (scott j
lopez) wrote:
| US Robotics v.Everything.

Any tips on setting up the 28.8 Sporster (dip switches and init strings)
and getting it to actually work with PPP?

Cheers.

Stuart.
--
ph...@deltanet.com

Devil May Care

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
In article <kindall-1011...@mac.manual.com>, kin...@manual.com
(Jerry Kindall) wrote:

> In article <marg-08119...@surgery177.surgery.nwu.edu>,

> ma...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Claudio Corral) wrote:
>
> >Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
> >buy...(for 7100 PPC)
> >Thanks in advance,

Aloha Friend,

Go with a Multitech 28.8 ZDX. Superb performance always at the fastest
possible rate. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Aloha Nui Loa

Glenn Sherrill

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95

> Oh no.... I tested a Motorola LifeStyle 288, and it would NOT connect
> to our USR 288 sportsters. I got a reliable connection about two
> of every 12 times I dialed. I tried tons of init strings, and tried
> it out on my machine at home here, which usually has SupraFAX 288
> attached to it, and the motorola still failed constantly. Get
> either P. Peripherals, or Supra... your best bet...
>
> Alex
> --

Well, I've been using the Motorola Power 28.8 and have had great luck
with it. Never a problem conntecting anywhere. Fast. Good with
noisy phone lines. And was one of the top-rated in a MacUser article
on 28.8 modems. So....? Get a third opinion<G>.

Glenn

Alex Batson

eric larson

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
> On Fri, 10 Nov 1995 16:05:02 -0500, Murray Kastner wrote:
> :
> Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
> buy...(for 7100 PPC)
> Thanks in advance,
> :
> : If money is no object, and fax software is unimportant, I'd choose the
> : USRobotics Courier or the high-end Motorola.

> Oh no.... I tested a Motorola LifeStyle 288, and it would NOT connect
> to our USR 288 sportsters. I got a reliable connection about two
> of every 12 times I dialed. I tried tons of init strings, and tried
> it out on my machine at home here, which usually has SupraFAX 288
> attached to it, and the motorola still failed constantly. Get
> either P. Peripherals, or Supra... your best bet...

The Motorola Lifestyle is a cheep Rockwell based modem, much like the Supra. It
is not a 'high end Motorola' model. The Motorola Power units are MUCH better,
and will outperform Rockwell based 'glue and go' modems.

scott j lopez

Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
Devil May Care (d...@ilhawaii.net) wrote:
: Go with a Multitech 28.8 ZDX. Superb performance always at the fastest

: possible rate. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Ack, We had 20 Multitechs 28.8's here, they're sitting in a pile becaue they
can barely maintain a 14.4 connection. Beware.

--
Scott Lopez The Truth is Use PGP!
slo...@pepboys.com Out There Support Public Privacy

Glenn Sherrill

Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
In article <bbd_951...@nisc.fidonet.org>,
eric....@shockwave.metronj.org (eric larson) wrote:

The Power isn't that much more money. And it is great! Much better
than my old Supra.

Claudio Corral

Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95

> > > Subjects says it all, I need a new modem and I am wondering which to
> > > buy...(for 7100 PPC)
> > > Thanks in advance,

Thanks for all the input. It has been invaluable.
What about these rumors of 28.8 Geoport software...... Is there any sense
in waiting for that ?

Jason Presnell

Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95
eric larson, eric....@shockwave.metronj.org wrote:

> The Motorola Lifestyle is a cheep Rockwell based modem, much like
>the Supra. It is not a 'high end Motorola' model. The Motorola Power
>units are MUCH better, and will outperform Rockwell
>based 'glue and go' modems.

Uhh excuse me....the Motorola Lifestyle modem is NOT based on the
Rockwell chip, it is based solely on Motorolas Datapump chip. The only
difference between the Lifestyle and Power is the fact that the Power
has some better security features and distinctive ringing. My Lifestyle
has outperformed ALL other modems I have tested, and I've tested Supra,
Hayes, Global Village, USR (Sportster and Mac&Fax) and several no names.
The reason you cannot connect to the USR Sportsters are because THEY are
based on the crappy Rockwell chip and have several line failure techniques
that cause the line to go bad when it is actually working well. I continually
get 26.4 to 28.8 on my Motorola. Besides, it the Moto is one of the best rated
modems out there, and it is also going for around $220. Please check you
facts again!

Nov 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/15/95
In article <48avsf$c...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>, Jason Presnell
<pres...@umich.edu> wrote:

> Uhh excuse me....the Motorola Lifestyle modem is NOT based on the
> Rockwell chip, it is based solely on Motorolas Datapump chip. The only
> difference between the Lifestyle and Power is the fact that the Power
> has some better security features and distinctive ringing. My Lifestyle
> has outperformed ALL other modems I have tested, and I've tested Supra,
> Hayes, Global Village, USR (Sportster and Mac&Fax) and several no names.
> The reason you cannot connect to the USR Sportsters are because THEY are
> based on the crappy Rockwell chip and have several line failure techniques
> that cause the line to go bad when it is actually working well.

It's true that the Lifestyle is based on the Motorola datapump. The
Sportster 28.8, however, is NOT based on the Rockwell chipset either
(unless they've changed radically since I recently owned one). It is based
on a Texas Instruments DSP chip with USR's proprietary signal processing
and controller code.

I've experienced diffculties with ALL USR modems, not just the Sportsters,
both in calling out with them and trying to stay connected to them when
they are on the other end. The "line failure techniques" to which you
refer are undoubtedly the USR firmware glitch that produces the infamous
"Spiral Death Effect," where the USR's connect rate degrades over time
until it disconnects. That's no longer a problem in the latest Sportster
firmware revision; there are, however, still some problems with
handshaking and initial rate negotiation which would keep me from
recommending a Sportster - as if USR's abysmal tech support were not
enough to dissuade potential customers.

Any modem will have problems with some other modems. The Motorolas, in
general, are probably the most efficient and certainly among the most
compatible.

Ixalot

Nov 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/15/95
In article <485rvf$l...@news.fsu.edu> Martin Wolfe,
wo...@xi.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>Subject: 28.8 Modems for Mac
>From: Martin Wolfe, wo...@xi.cs.fsu.edu
>Date: 12 Nov 1995 22:20:31 GMT
>>Hi...
>
>Can anyone pass along their experiences using a 28.8 modem
>on a Mac... I have a IIci and was trying to figure out
>which external modem to buy.

OK, my interpretation of the comments here is that it boils down to the
Motorola Lifestyle vs.the Global Village.
My question is what kind of software do they come bundled with and is
that software any good.

Mainly interested in comments on FAX and OCR and Microphone or similiar
software. (pleeeeeze no comments on the commercial online software
bundles).

Thanks in Advance,

Ixalot
email: cat...@eden.com

Jerry Kindall

Nov 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/15/95
In article <bbd_951...@nisc.fidonet.org>,
eric....@shockwave.metronj.org (eric larson) wrote:

>The Motorola Lifestyle is a cheep Rockwell based modem, much like the Supra. It
>is not a 'high end Motorola' model. The Motorola Power units are MUCH better,
>and will outperform Rockwell based 'glue and go' modems.

False. The Motorola Lifestyle uses the same Motorola chipset as the
highly-rated Power. The main features you lose are security and Flash ROM
upgradeability.

John Tullis

Nov 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/16/95
It may also be because USR also supports the v.fast(interim protocol before
v.34) and motorolla does not support v.fast

Jerry Kindall

Nov 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/16/95
cat...@eden.com (Ixalot) wrote:

> OK, my interpretation of the comments here is that it boils down to the
>Motorola Lifestyle vs.the Global Village.
> My question is what kind of software do they come bundled with and is
>that software any good.
> Mainly interested in comments on FAX and OCR and Microphone or similiar
>software. (pleeeeeze no comments on the commercial online software
>bundles).

The software that comes with the Mac version of the Lifestyle (and Power),
to put it mildly, is not adequate. I highly recommend this modem but I
suggest you purchase the PC package and a separate Mac cable. I presume
you already have data software you can use (if you don't, I suggest
ProTERM -- a recommendation I'd make no matter what you're already using)
and the $30 or so you save by buying the PC version will go a long way
toward buying FaxSTF or FaxPro, both of which work with the modem, if you
want fax software. (The shareware product ValueFax also works but doesn't
have high-end features like grayscale display and OCR. OTOH it's much
less expensive.)

Jon Rust

Nov 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/17/95
> I'd recommend that *you* check your facts: the Sportster si is the
> only USR that has an RPI-chipset.
>
> --
> I _like_ MSG -----=========-- u...@reed.edu

After following this thread for a while, I thought I'd point out to you
that there are two (2) kinds of Rockwell Chipsets -- 'vanilla' Rockwell,
and Rockwell RPI's. Yes the USR Si uses the RPI. It IS the only USR that
uses the RPI, but it is NOT the only USR that uses Rockwell.

Jon Rust
VCNet http://www.vc.net
j...@vc.net

Paul Scheele

Nov 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/19/95
In article <ogus-19119...@ipcrystal.hip.berkeley.edu>,
og...@math.berkeley.edu (Arthur Ogus) wrote:

(SNIP)

:> > The software that comes with the Mac version of the Lifestyle (and Power),

:> > to put it mildly, is not adequate. I highly recommend this modem but I
:> > suggest you purchase the PC package and a separate Mac cable. I presume
:> > you already have data software you can use (if you don't, I suggest
:> > ProTERM -- a recommendation I'd make no matter what you're already using)
:> > and the $30 or so you save by buying the PC version will go a long way
:> > toward buying FaxSTF or FaxPro, both of which work with the modem, if you
:> > want fax software. (The shareware product ValueFax also works but doesn't
:> > have high-end features like grayscale display and OCR. OTOH it's much
:> > less expensive.)

:> >
:> Be careful, my experience is different. I could never get
:> FaxSTF to work reliably with my USR Sportster MacinFAX, and
:> the company has zero tech support. MacComcenter is not great,
:> but they answer the phone, and at least I can now send and receive
:> faxes reliably. For real work, I use PPP connections and NCSA telnet.
:>
:> Also, I have heard that FAXSTF does not work at all with the PCI macs.
:> (Mine is one.)
:>
:> --
:> Arthur Ogus

I agree. FaxSTF is a cruel joke, that has some potential for corrupting
your hard drive. It rarely works reliably, even for outbound faxes,
violates the Apple Human Interface Guidelines left and right, and there is
NO tech support. Even if you get it for free, you will find it is the
most expensive fax software, after you spend a couple of day recovering
your system, if you can at all, WHEN (not IF) it goes awry...

Arthur Ogus

Nov 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/20/95

MacFAQ

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95

> Thanks for all the input. It has been invaluable. What about these
> rumors of 28.8 Geoport software...... Is there any sense in waiting
> for that ?

Probably not. Rumors of a 28.8 GeoPort have been flying around for a year
now, but there's still no official word from Apple. The latest rumor from
Mac the Knife is that Apple is planning new GeoPort 28.8 hardware, and
that the 14.4 GeoPorts will not be software-upgradable to the higher
speed.

| ftp://users.aol.com/macfaq | FAQs for AOL, ClarisWorks,|
Les Jones | http://users.aol.com/macfaq| Mac Storage, and ZTerm |

"Hey, baby. What's your sign? Want some bagel?"
-- Orlando Jim at the Black Mountain Folk Festival